Compassion International

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jimmy Mellado

Best work environment I've ever been in.

Human Resources (Former Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

ProsFor the most part, people who work hear seem to be very happy with their jobs and that makes for a very cheerful place to work.

ConsI can't think of any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementI guess the only advice I could give is to replace any grumpy employees with happy ones. :) There are so many people who want to work for Compassion.

Satisfying work for a high-integrity organization

Colorado Springs, CO

ProsCompassion is like a very large family. In my experience, this family is friendly and eager to help not only children in poverty but each other. I worked on a great team led by a very caring and compassionate manager whose character shaped the work and outlook of each team member. Compassion's financial/nonprofit integrity is beyond reproach and I have no hesitation endorsing their work as I continue to sponsor children after working for them.

ConsCompassion is a phenomenal place to work if you understand the balance of working for a Christian ministry that is also one of the world's best nonprofit organizations. This can become a bit of a gray area as the spiritual aspects can become too businesslike, and the business aspects can become too spiritual. Admittedly and understandably a tough balance to strike.

Great Purpose, poor management

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

Prosin the field, Compassion really does what it says it does. I've been to a couple of the 3rd world projects and the work is amazing. Pay is excellent for a non-profit. Many smart folks work at Compassion. the weekly chapel times are always good.

ConsManagement doesn't trust the employees enough, this causes a revolving door of the best talent. IT wastes far too much money.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou hire the best, and then don't listen to them.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Make an impact in poverty

Applications Support Specialist (Current Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

ProsA great place to work if values and purpose are important to you.

ConsPays a little less than industry standard at the higher levels.

great people and organization that are dedicated to the mission

Director (Current Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

ProsThe mission is compelling and the quality of staff is hard to beat. The working conditions are quite good and there is ability to move around

ConsThe organization has silos and senior leaders, though seasoned, are out of touch on how to run a mid/large sized NGO.

What you can't see from the outside

Manager (Current Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

ProsThe talent that the organization attracts is amazing. One thing that you will not find at many, if any, other organizations is that the hearts and minds of everyone is focused on the welfare and development of children around the world.

ConsThe culture is very unhealthy. A culture of fear and intimidation, one hiding behind spiritual conversation-killers such as a new vision or "God revealed to us", is one of the key elements that allows executives and managers to silence and neutralize some of the sophisticated talent that enters the organization.

Explosive growth on a scale that the organization has enjoyed, even during historic downturns, is a curse in important ways. The senior executives are unwilling to make tough decisions or even deal with potentially damaging information: "How can anything be wrong because God is blessing the minstiry so much". This leads me to believe that the executives will lead until a traumatic event occurs, one that is visible to the outside of the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone down to the SVP level should retire or move on. You faithfully served to the best of your ability, but you owe it to the children to move on and allow the organization to bring in the talent required to achieve the 2020 vision (if it is not already too late).

Highly political environment with poor business processes

Manager (Former Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

ProsFocused on their vision. Field staff in other countries really reaching out to kids like they say.

ConsManagement does not know how to lead the size of organization they have grown into. May of the senior leadership are ill equipped to run a multinational organization. The politics are terrible and you are either in or out of the crowd. They is a very poor example of Christian leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are failing to abide by your own policies and treat employees who innovate with disdain. Mediocrity and the good ol' boy network is alive an well here. If management continues to treat staff and vendors they way they do, the lawsuits and reputation issues are not far behind.

Wonderful people and growth throughout company

ProsGreat Cause in eradicating poverty
    Global friendships and collegues
    Growing company
    Great benefits
    Shared knowledge
    Work flexibility
    Inspiring
    Innovative
    Integrous in how money is used in company

ConsDecisions take too long to make
    Some decisions and direction are not strategic but reactionary
    Difficult for people to be hired
    Hesitant to make employees accountable

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing a Christian organization, I see that mananagement doesn't make others accountable (ie. they are too nice). People who should move on from the organization are allowed to stay giving other bright and talented people who want to work at Compassion only temp jobs or no chances. Also, many employees in professional positions are worked too much. They become stressed and burn out, but don't want to leave because they want to serve the cause.

Great company, great people, great leadership.

Colorado Springs, CO

ProsWorld class company leadership that flows through the rest of the organization.

ConsWork environment is at times less than challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to push your employees and reward them accordingly.

Overall, a great place to work.

Colorado Springs, CO

ProsIt's a friendly place to work with a very worthy mission.

ConsPeople who are good at their jobs are often promoted to management positions, but have no management skills. Just being good at a job doesn't make someone a good manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be more management training of young managers. It is important to encourage direct reports and give positive as well as negative feedback.

Worked for Compassion International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Compassion International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Compassion International CEO Jimmy Mellado. All 37 reviews posted anonymously by Compassion International employees.