Compassion International Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Jimmy Mellado

Pros
  • Releasing Children from poverty is a good cause for which I enjoyed contributing to the growth of the organization (in 7 reviews)

• Great mission and purpose to aspire to (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The organization is management heavy with many managers only having one - three direct reports and Directors with on average 5 - 20 reports (in 3 reviews)

• They don't like to hear bad news (in 2 reviews)

Used to be a great place to work, now it's just average.

Former Employee - Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Compassion International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compelling mission, nice office, probably more good managers than not.

Cons

Too many layers in the structure. Managers with a few direct reports, reporting to senior managers with one direct report, reporting to a director, senior director, vice president, senior vice president. People assigned to the special project but trying to manage their "regular" job and not doing that very well. Management out of touch with the worker bees. I remember when former president Wess Stafford knew everyone's name.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at who is actually doing the work. These people have good ideas. Invest as much $ and effort into your people as you invest in outside consultants, Gallup, etc.

Regional Sales Director

Former Employee - Regional Sales Director
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Director

I worked at Compassion International full-time

Pros

Amazing mission with a great deal of financial integrity as a nonprofit. Home-based position provided flexible work environment. Overall, colleagues are very kind and generally helpful. Overall an average work environment. Great healthcare and retirement benefits. Pay is good for nonprofit.

Cons

Senior leadership thought very highly of themselves and were not connected or honestly engaged at lower levels. Lots of red tape and very hierarchical. This was discouraging for growth or desire to grow past a certain level. Sales leadership only cares about the numbers and revenue. Sales team always travels and poor work-life balance. Leadership is obsessed with nearly impossible growth and will push and push team to limits. Ensure the mission is worth the pay cut and don't expect a different culture from your for-profit sales role just because its a nonprofit. Just don't expect a big bonus for exceeding goals.

Advice to Management

Look at your leadership and get rid of unethical leaders and/or lazy leadership. The mission is too important to overlook known problems.

3. A courageously adaptive organization that grows children (and employees too).

I worked at Compassion International full-time

Pros

Compassion's work in releasing children from poverty of body, mind, soul and spirit is world class. Children, through local churches in Africa, Asia and Latin America, are indeed introduced to Who and what they need--in Christ--for a transformed life.
    Similarly, employees have a chance to grow in body, mind, soul and spirit, while working as part of this great mission. The environment not only allows for--it encourages--growth.

Cons

This is not a "con" but rather a comment on how many have experienced change as difficult, even though it is needed, and Compassion's leadership is embracing change boldly:

As you'll read in some of the reviews, here, change can be hard for people. Especially people who have been around for awhile and were hired during different times.
    That said, the changes that Compassion is making are appropriate and timely--in the face of budget challenges the organization is not only adapting but seizing the opportunity to define priorities more clearly and increase the organization's focus on those priorities.
    For those who joined the organization when, perhaps, those priorities were less clear or less needed, these changes provide an opportunity either to adapt or to find a next place of service.
    Meanwhile, the children in poverty are benefiting all the more as Compassion's leadership increases focus, sets priorities, and acts with courage.

Advice to Management

Keep to the course of listening to God and responding in courage, even when that requires saying and doing hard things. Meanwhile, keep tender--reach out to those for whom change is difficult and acknowledge their loss, even as you call them to take new ground which has wonderful gains for the children served, and the organization.

Effective Program, but management can be a problem.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Compassion International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The program is very effective at poverty alleviation, and that means a lot. Financial stewardship is taken seriously. The new President has only been there for about 18 months, and it seems like he still has a lot of plans to improve things.

Growth remains strong, and the benefits are great, especially for a nonprofit organization. This makes up some for the below market salaries. How much money do you really need?

The main U.S. Headquarters is in Colorado Springs, which is fantastic.

There are good things about the culture, but there is a lot of petty dysfunction as well.

I do really like working here, but there are some real issues. Maybe not make or break problems, but enough to to keep me busy.

Cons

Senior management can be so out of your and insulated from reality. A lot of senior VPs have left with the transition to a new president, but they really should get rid of a few more, especially the one in charge of GSS. He's terrible in more ways than one.

The new CEO came in a made some excellent changes at the executive level and did some great reorganization. But so far, the single line authority, accountability transformation has not filtered to my level of the company. I hope it will, but a lot of these executives just don't get it.

I'm optimistic that some of these problems will be resolved eventually.

HR is a mess. I work with them a lot, and while some of the incompetent people have been fired, not all of them have. Recruiting is great, but the others operate in cover thy butt mode too much to be of any help. Their favorite topic is how terrible millennials are.

Outside of the global program I see lots of dysfunctional and very outdated management practices.

Most of the senior managers don't know how to be vulnerable or approachable enough to hear what their staff really thinks. There are a lot of people who have gotten so used to being right they can't tell when they have drifted out of their expertise.

Conflict is avoided.

Accountability tends to be very rare and then when it happens it will be extreme.

A lot of senior people got their jobs here before Compassion started growing a lot and would probably never have gotten them now. Meh.

Real talk: I don't know if I would recommend this place to millennials. Or to liberal people. It is pretty stuck in the mud conservative most of the time.

Advice to Management

Seriously. Saying hi in the bathroom doesn't count as getting to know people. You don't have that many second level reports, you should really talk to me sometime

If no one ever complains to you about anything then you are part of the problem and people don't feel they can trust you to fix it.

Compelling mission, opportunities to improve

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Compassion International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission is tremendously compelling.

Cons

Functional leadership needs to improve, among other.

Amazing work done in the developing world, not a great place to work in the US

Former Employee - Specialist
    Former Employee - Specialist

I worked at Compassion International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Amazing work done in the developing world, they are making a true difference in the lives of many children: bringing hope, real resources, and Jesus.

Cons

- Your quality of life is very dependent on who your manager is and unfortunately there are many people promoted based on who they know rather than ability to effectively support and encourage direct reports.
    - HR is poorly managed.
    - Very wasteful spending in many areas by people who are seen as "important" while less senior employees can't get approval for necessary training and resources.

Advice to Management

Clean house in HR and promote a culture that values working as a community and does not have a major rift and cultural difference between senior, midlevel, and lower workers.

We will get through this tumultuous season

I have been working at Compassion International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

*Excellent mission - We know our work is bringing real and lasting change in the lives of children in poverty. This is something that not all NGO's can say and is a huge achievement.
    *I currently work for hands down the best supervisor I have ever had. Above her there are other great people who regularly model courageous leadership that fights for the people under them and humbly rewards great work. They seek to know each face that works below them and truly have an open door policy.
    *Jimmy Mellado has shown himself to be a CEO with a good head on his shoulders (with an MBA from Harvard) and a soft heart for people, especially children in developing countries.I have never seen someone who is so business smart that is simultaneously so caring and compassionate. His leadership is exactly what Compassion needs to get us through the challenges ahead.

Cons

*I mentioned that I work in a department with excellent leadership. Regrettably, I know that this is not the case throughout the organization. I do not foresee myself really advancing or switching departments because of this problem in culture and management I see in other work areas.
    *Compassion has seen marked growth over the last 10 years. Regrettably, the organizational structure and technological systems have not grown with the numbers. Our CRM system was developed in the early 1990's and is incredibly outdated for what we need it to do. We desperately need an overhaul and I am concerned that the current system updates should have happened 10 years ago and continue to progress slowly. We simply cannot handle the kind of growth that our leadership is pushing unless our technology is updated.
    *Inefficiency and overspending. Some people are overworked and have numbers given to them that are simply unattainable. Others have been at Compassion forever, and therefore keep their jobs, but hardly get anything done. Then we reward people with nice dinners, paid fun days, unnecessary conferences and travel, and promotional items. I enjoy these perks, don't get me wrong, but I feel like the spending could be reigned in for the benefit of the children we serve even while we keep valuable employees and continue to do great work.

Advice to Management

In the long term I know we will get through this tumultuous season. Yes, it's tough right now and we are going through some growing pains as an organization, but we will get through this. Please continue to hire great employees. Please continue to seek what is best for our beneficiaries and supporters. Please continue to model humble, approachable, courageous leadership.

9. Great Organization

I worked at Compassion International full-time

Pros

Compassion's mission and the integrity with which they operate is phenomenal. They value their employees.

Cons

Very collaborative culture, so sometimes authority for action can be slow.

10. Review

I have been working at Compassion International full-time

Pros

Passionate about poverty and children

Cons

Went through layoffs this last month

Lost their way

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Compassion International (More than 10 years)

Pros

On the field, Compassion does what it says. Children in poverty have a chance. The mission is compelling and worthwhile.

Cons

Increasing revenues and sponsorship has overshadowed the mission. It is being run as a business instead of a ministry. Relying on the Lord and praying fervently are not priorities and morale and integrity have sunk in proportion to the increased growth. Some leaders are untouchable, especially if they are perceived as being money-raisers.

Advice to Management

Remember your first love. Stop relying on modern marketing methods, worldly business models and "spinning" the truth. Humble yourselves and learn from the hard-working employees in the field.

RSS Feed </> Embed