Compassion International

Compassion International Reviews

Updated February 23, 2015
Updated February 23, 2015

Jimmy Mellado

Wonderful organization and a great place to work

Current Employee - Employee-GSS in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Employee-GSS in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Compassion International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compassion is a strong organization with high purpose and integrity. While no organization is perfect, I have found the mission to be clear, opportunities to be strong, impact high, and our leadership to be caring and courageous in the fast paced growth we have been blessed with. I would highly recommend working here!

Cons

While growth is significant, I have seen our leadership act to address growth concerns and resource needs. I would encourage Compassion to continue considering more flexible work schedules, remote work days, and compressed work week schedules as staff need to represent a work/life balance.

Thank you for your leadership. I encourage you to stay strong and courageous as Compassion continues to face anticipated growth globally.

The almighty dollar reigns

I have been working at Compassion International

Pros

I really believe the mission of Compassion is strong. We are truly saving children's lives.

Cons

If you don't work in marketing, you really are considered second rate. I know, I work in marketing! It's all about revenue and sales. Everything else is secondary. Go to any all staff meeting and you will hear about money money money. Everyone in the building can quote you revenue, cost per sponsorship, our retention rate, etc. But ask anyone to tell you how many kids gave their lives to jesus this year and they won't know. That's because we preach what's important to us. and that's money.
    this week is a good example. one foot of snow on the ground, half the city is shut down, every school district is closed, the roads are dangerous, cars all over the place wrecked, turned over, off the side of the road. and compassion wants us all to be at work at 8am. why? because money is more important than the safety of our people. Never mind that some of us have to find daycare for our kids on a day like this because we have to be at work when everything else in town is shut down.
    our new president seems to be a good guy. I like him. but he has structured the organization in a way that only 5 people run everything. way too much power. especially for some of these people who have been at compassion for decades and are completely out of touch with what us everyday working people deal with. one senior vice president is a minority female. no one knows what she does. the job was created for her. the others are good ole boys who have been in power way too long.

stop preaching money. start caring about the things we care about.
    your top 5 people have way too much power.

Leader and Management Chaos

I have been working at Compassion International

Pros

Compassion International exists as a Christian child advocacy ministry that releases children from spiritual, economic, social and physical poverty and enables them to become responsible, fulfilled Christian adults

Cons

• No one knows who is in charge, with what authority and complete ambiguity
    • Passive Aggressive
    • Hiring practices are not based on the most qualified, but who you know, how well you can swim through the politics, and if you will get along with the lack of leadership.
    • Leadership is a good oh boy system which does not bode well for the female gender

Evaluate the hiring practices so jobs are not changed for staff already selected for positions. Very inconsistent
    Except you are a Christian Ministry that will need to operate like a business.
    Senior Leadership needs to pass the baton and retire

Impactful.

I have been working at Compassion International

Pros

Employees understand that we are there to help children in poverty. Numerous testimonies from beneficiaries of the program sharing the positive impact in their lives. For a non-profit, compensation is reasonable. Many very experienced and talented employees.

Cons

Senior management is detached from the staff. When you make suggestions on ways to improve a process approved by management you are labeled as a non-team player. If the same suggestions come from a consultant that is paid 5 or 6 figures, then it is given high praise and accepted. If you are a contractor, your input is valuable and considered. Convert to an employee, and that credibility is lost.

Listen to the staff doing the grunt work. Managers of large teams need to practice MBWA. Consider promoting those that are not yes people that tickle your ears and find those that present constructive feedback. When you ask for feedback, don't feel threatened if someone doesn't agree with your opinion and don't target them for retribution for having the courage to speak up.

Beware!

Current Employee - GSS in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - GSS in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Compassion International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing organization and easy to commit to the mission.

Cons

Top leadership is incestuous. Not all are even qualified in their fields, but if you know the right person, then you'll get the job and be protected. Great place to support if you're not concerned with how your dollars are spent....not a great place to work. Beware.

Prayerfully and humbly listen to the Gallup survey results. Don't discount those or justify how low they are. Listen to employees below the top leadership levels.

Don't dismiss honest and openly vulnerable comments from employees. Don't criticize employees for being transparent.

Figure out why the GSS employees (especially HR) are so disillusioned (start by looking at the HR Leadership team) and then FIX it. Don't keep sweeping the issues under the rug. Address them!

An amazing organization going through some growing pains

Former Employee - Information Technology in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Compassion International full-time

Pros

The mission of Compassion is astounding. Their business model of partnering with the local Church to lift children out of poverty is not only inspiring, it is Biblical.

Cons

The organization has undergone significant growth over the last 10 years, and organizational maturity has struggled to keep up with the demands of rapid growth.

Do not be afraid of bringing in top-tier talent to achieve on the organizational change needed to support the growing ministry. Embrace organizational maturity while not losing focus on the underlying Biblical principles that define who you are. Embrace technology, but only to the point that it serves the mission. Stay off the bleeding edge of technology. Discard anything that is not your core competency.

Wonderful mission at the ield projects while organizational values not in alignment at headquarters

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Compassion International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The plus is having a connection with the sponsored children in the field projects around the world. Employment engagement is high on the mission... reinforced by 5 year anniversary trip to the field as best employee benefit.

Cons

The senior leaders are unaware of how toxic the working culture is in many departments. They either don't care to know, or do not know how to change course after having steady staff growth for so long (ten years or so). Very poor people managers throughout the organization.

To senior leaders... leave your ivory tower and mix with the folks... get to know the unvarnished truth from the rank and file. There is a whole layer of management that is concealing the truth.

Great Christian mission

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Compassion International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and competitive pay for a Christian non-profit.

Cons

Lot's of change of direction from middle leadership

The expectations are high but the work environment is very positive.

Current Contractor - Anonymous
    Current Contractor - Anonymous

I have been working at Compassion International as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are friendly and supportive.

Cons

None that I can think of.

One of the best jobs I have ever had until the politics kicked in

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Compassion International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission. They talk the talk...unfortunately they don't walk the walk.

Cons

Politics politics politics. The worst thing that can happen is to make hiring and firing decisions based on political motives - especially in the non profit sector of employment. Unfortunately that was and is all to prevalent at Compassion. The idea that one can go further if they get rid of the ones with positive influence and high credibility is a real downfall for an organization. When it is a "Christian" organization it is even worse...it devalues the mission and the leadership. This is pretty prevalent at Compassion, and it shows. How awful to have lived through this there after more than five years of positive influence and credibility.

Start transitioning the old guard...out with the old and in with the new. Management needs a complete overhaul. Get some humility in the top leadership roles - the senior VPs should go. Arrogance begets arrogance and there is no room for the "Good old boy mentality." You claim to be spiritual leaders, but you play politics like no other organization I have ever worked for.