Compassion International Reviews

Updated March 18, 2015
48 reviews filtered by
2.8
Jimmy Mellado

Mixed Bag. Pockets of excellence, Pockets of bad leadership behavior.

I have been working at Compassion International

Pros

Wonderful Mission to rally around.

Cons

Lack of empowerment on many fronts; Lack of trust which leads to ineffective/inefficient processes

I've seen a desire (at least spoken) by Senior Leaders to develop more transparency within the culture. Now, let's see the actions that back it up.

The almighty dollar reigns

I have been working at Compassion International

Pros

I really believe the mission of Compassion is strong. We are truly saving children's lives.

Cons

If you don't work in marketing, you really are considered second rate. I know, I work in marketing! It's all about revenue and sales. Everything else is secondary. Go to any all staff meeting and you will hear about money money money. Everyone in the building can quote you revenue, cost per sponsorship, our retention rate, etc. But ask anyone to tell you how many kids gave their lives to jesus this year and they won't know. That's because we preach what's important to us. and that's money.
    this week is a good example. one foot of snow on the ground, half the city is shut down, every school district is closed, the roads are dangerous, cars all over the place wrecked, turned over, off the side of the road. and compassion wants us all to be at work at 8am. why? because money is more important than the safety of our people. Never mind that some of us have to find daycare for our kids on a day like this because we have to be at work when everything else in town is shut down.
    our new president seems to be a good guy. I like him. but he has structured the organization in a way that only 5 people run everything. way too much power. especially for some of these people who have been at compassion for decades and are completely out of touch with what us everyday working people deal with. one senior vice president is a minority female. no one knows what she does. the job was created for her. the others are good ole boys who have been in power way too long.

stop preaching money. start caring about the things we care about.
    your top 5 people have way too much power.

On a downhill sprial

I worked at Compassion International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The mission of changing the lives of children.

Cons

Compassion is going through a season of change. Unfortunately, the season has been going on for at least the last 5 years. Management turns a blind eye to the things that seem to happen right under their noses. Long-term, seasoned staff, are being terminated because they speak up about changes that need to be made. The organization is putting out extremely large sums of money in severance packages in order to clean house. The problem there is that they are getting rid of the wrong people.

HR also has a tendency to be very inconsistent with enforcing their policies. There are more exceptions than there are rules. Everyone "works for themselves" or has a personal agenda. A lot of reviews point to the boys club, which is exactly what is going on here. They all back each other up and it's only getting worse.

You have to take a serious look at your problems with management. HR is a serious threat to your organization. The payouts and packages you are putting out are costing your organization millions of donations from trusted sponsors. You stand to lose everything if you don't reign in fast.

Lacks Leadership

I have been working at Compassion International

Pros

Great cause and vision for the children

Cons

Out of touch Senior Leadership, good old boy system, limited growth. Lacks understanding that all ministries need to operate as a business and deliver ministry.

Retire the board and senior leadership
    Operate as a business and deliver ministry
    Listen to employees not contain how they can voice thoughts and opinions.
    Focus on culture and change not drive it through failing processes

It used to be a good place to work. But now, YOU DON'T WANT TO WORK HERE!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Compassion International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful, amazing mission.
    Pay is comparable to a for-profit corp.
    Benefits are exceptional.

Cons

Leadership. New CEO has had plenty of time to turn things around. Instead, his leadership has made them worse. He leads an old boys club of senior leaders that have not been able to help move the organization forward. CEO is in over his head and does not have the expertise or intuition to lead this organization.

Board of Directors - GET INVOLVED AND DIG IN TO WHAT'S REALLY GOING ON!!! Remove the CEO and majority of senior leaders, including the in-house legal counsel that are too arrogant to see beyond their personal agendas.

Impactful.

I have been working at Compassion International

Pros

Employees understand that we are there to help children in poverty. Numerous testimonies from beneficiaries of the program sharing the positive impact in their lives. For a non-profit, compensation is reasonable. Many very experienced and talented employees.

Cons

Senior management is detached from the staff. When you make suggestions on ways to improve a process approved by management you are labeled as a non-team player. If the same suggestions come from a consultant that is paid 5 or 6 figures, then it is given high praise and accepted. If you are a contractor, your input is valuable and considered. Convert to an employee, and that credibility is lost.

Listen to the staff doing the grunt work. Managers of large teams need to practice MBWA. Consider promoting those that are not yes people that tickle your ears and find those that present constructive feedback. When you ask for feedback, don't feel threatened if someone doesn't agree with your opinion and don't target them for retribution for having the courage to speak up.

Wonderful organization and a great place to work

Current Employee - Employee-GSS in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Employee-GSS in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Compassion International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compassion is a strong organization with high purpose and integrity. While no organization is perfect, I have found the mission to be clear, opportunities to be strong, impact high, and our leadership to be caring and courageous in the fast paced growth we have been blessed with. I would highly recommend working here!

Cons

While growth is significant, I have seen our leadership act to address growth concerns and resource needs. I would encourage Compassion to continue considering more flexible work schedules, remote work days, and compressed work week schedules as staff need to represent a work/life balance.

Thank you for your leadership. I encourage you to stay strong and courageous as Compassion continues to face anticipated growth globally.

An amazing organization going through some growing pains

Former Employee - Information Technology in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Compassion International full-time

Pros

The mission of Compassion is astounding. Their business model of partnering with the local Church to lift children out of poverty is not only inspiring, it is Biblical.

Cons

The organization has undergone significant growth over the last 10 years, and organizational maturity has struggled to keep up with the demands of rapid growth.

Do not be afraid of bringing in top-tier talent to achieve on the organizational change needed to support the growing ministry. Embrace organizational maturity while not losing focus on the underlying Biblical principles that define who you are. Embrace technology, but only to the point that it serves the mission. Stay off the bleeding edge of technology. Discard anything that is not your core competency.

Wonderful mission at the ield projects while organizational values not in alignment at headquarters

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Compassion International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The plus is having a connection with the sponsored children in the field projects around the world. Employment engagement is high on the mission... reinforced by 5 year anniversary trip to the field as best employee benefit.

Cons

The senior leaders are unaware of how toxic the working culture is in many departments. They either don't care to know, or do not know how to change course after having steady staff growth for so long (ten years or so). Very poor people managers throughout the organization.

To senior leaders... leave your ivory tower and mix with the folks... get to know the unvarnished truth from the rank and file. There is a whole layer of management that is concealing the truth.

11. Great Christian mission

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Compassion International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and competitive pay for a Christian non-profit.

Cons

Lot's of change of direction from middle leadership