Compete, Inc

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Compete, Inc President Scott Ernst

Scott Ernst

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Was an innovative company. Now they're just steering the ship.

Full-time Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsLots of smart, energetic people. Decent benefits. Great location in Boston. Provides a product that truly does provide value to customers.

ConsNot a lot of room for growth. Not ideal to work for a company that mines the data of people. Mass exodus of talented employees. CEO isn't somebody who should be running a tech company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be great to have true culture-building events.

Good job to start out of school that teaches employable tools and skills useful for future endeavors.

Client Services Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFun, young work place.
    Nice office space in downtown Boston.
    Good place to start building tech tools (scripting, data visualization, etc.)

ConsVery sales driven, without much care for project feasibility.
    Work demands are sometimes unrealistically high.
    Project based work is often month-based and creates a strong sense of routine.

Advice to Senior ManagementVariable depending on the team. Good opportunities for growth, but there is a definitely a sense of bureaucracy.

Compete was great before acquisition when the leadership changed. Now the company lacks solid leadership.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsLocation is great. Smart, fun people in general work for Compete. Products are interesting.

ConsA big culture shift happened at Compete several years ago after Don McLagan left as CEO and the VP of Sales took over as CEO. The company, when Mr. McLagan was CEO was on the right track. Employees were happy, upper management listened to their teams, the company was doing well, teams were motivated, morale was high.

After Scott Ernst (former Sales VP) took the helm, a sad change occurred at the upper management level. Upper management became very cut-throat and was/is generally unsupportive of mid-management and staff.

When the company initiated an anonymous survey to all employees to assess the happiness level of employees, the results were very bad and the Exec team was surprised (the rest of the employees were not). As a result, the Exec team coordinated a management training seminar which all managers attended but the company failed to follow through and fully implement lessons learned from the seminar, thus resulting in "still bad" management and unsatisfied employees whose needs are ignored and days are overworked. Employees voices often go unheard.

I would caution people from working here unless you like tough sales-mentality-like management and expectations that you will often work extra hours and weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your teams and truly act upon their advice. Stop pretending to listen.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor management, company going downhill

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsCompany is located in a popular and convenient area of Boston. Freedom to come in late and leave early, since management doesn't check/care.

ConsHeavy workload for anyone who's not in upper management. Poor communication and leadership, and lacking in organization. Very high turnover rate, but management seems to be oblivious to people leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow employees appreciation, and provide opportunities for career advancement. Needs internal reorganization. Managers may not be qualified to be in that position.

Great potential, but lacking in communication and competent management

Client Services Analyst (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFantastic clients and wonderful learning opportunities

ConsHorrible communication from top down. A lot of ambiguity where management is concerned, and lack of employee appreciation (and non-competitive salary) is main cause of the high turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency from management, and reward those who work hard and show initiative. Give employees a reason and incentive to stay with the company. There is a lot of young talent at the company, and if improvements aren't made, they will continue to flock to competitors.

Revenue decline, no culture

Sales Director (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Pros9-5 punch card culture, meaning, you can start late and leave early, as most people do in the company. Autonomy as is not having much feedback from or really any interaction with my immediate manager, which was a positive because of a lack of management skills. Nice offices and office furniture. Great tools and office supplies.

ConsNo culture, and when not voted as one of the best places to work the CEO berated the staff into talking about how great of a place it was to work. No one naturally talked about this, and everyone on the sales teams and client facing were extremely dissatisfied with their jobs and management. The culture is what I call a 'gotcha' culture, where one little mistake or perceived wrong was pointed out and brought to light. Misdirected priorities for the company, as competitors quickly surpassed. This is a very slow moving company, the management and long time employees have been trained to move very slow, so anything from dealing with IT, to HR, or actually doing your job was extremely slow, probably the slowest company I will ever work for. They use outdated computers and technology to deliver their services. Most sales people did not make their quotas and earned far below the promised income by the recruiter.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that your revenue decline is due to management styles and philosophies, as well as a general lack of awareness of the marketplace. This has resulted in the culture that is producing the poor results the firm is experiencing. Realize that depending on one client who can suddenly change their mind, can potentially shutter the firm. Realize that what got you here, wont get you there. Have more involvement and participation in the actual industry you operate in. Prevent any further mishaps of leaking private personal consumer data, which could lead to further prosecution and fines. Consider new management across the board in the company.

Great media/research company in Boston

Director (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat colleagues, people here are very friendly, helpful, hard-working, etc. Compete really tries to hire the right people to keep the culture solid. The data is awesome, always new ways to analyze it and sell it. Good salaries and bonuses, even for younger employees. Room to grow.

ConsLack of transparency of what's going on above our corporate entity. How are our sister companies doing? How is our parent company doing?

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more visible, continue to think of new ways to bring the various teams together. Continue to productize.

Hot industry, great culture, smart colleagues

Director, Client Services (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsTons of growth opportunities for the motivated; lots of young, smart professionals creates and energetic environment; fantastic opportunity to develop your career by working in growing industry that is still not well understood by clients & through work with top clients including Fortune 100/500 and top online publishers/agencies.

ConsLots of young employees bring some good energy and some bad...many are in their first jobs and they don't recognize how great Compete is from a fun, flexibility, opportunity, compensation perspective; it is hard to teach/mentor that kind of perspective, so it leads to some challenges with turnover; Compete is sales orientated and works with top clients, if you don't produce A grade work, you won't fit in

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication (one to many) has greatly improved over the last year - love it! Take communication across the finish line with more 1:1 communication between senior management and everyday employees. We'd love to see you walking the cubes so you can see what we are up to and so we can share what exciting things we're working on everyday.

not quite what is advertised

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsVery interesting data to work with.
    happy hours

Conshigh burnout.
    young managers doesn't know very well what they are doing.
    Career advance based on popularity. Even incompetence will pass ok as long as you are popular.
    Good people are leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementScott Ernst is doing an excellent job steering compete, but I believe the managers needs more direction and clarifications.

Interesting work, smart colleagues, mediocre management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe data, the data, the data... the access to fascinating behavioral to analyze makes this place one of the most interesting to work at. Colleagues work hard and by in large know how to have a good time.

ConsHigh burnout rate, most managers are mediocre at best primarily because they are young or currently at their peter point. Our C-level executives are smart and most are well intentioned but many lack the proper communication skills to ensure they have proper buy in from the lower rungs. A lot of the current internal initiatives feel reactionary to the high turn-over rate and I get the feeling that our owning company's tight purse strings has a lot to do with recent fall out.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on accountability from the top down, better communication, growing employee's skills from within, and managing out poor performers.

Worked for Compete, Inc? Contribute to the Community!