Compliance Implementation Services

Reset
2.3
Jim Collins

1. Manager

I have been working at Compliance Implementation Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People, Flexible Working Environment

Cons

Benefits are decent, but they could be better.

Employee retention not important

I worked at Compliance Implementation Services full-time

Pros

good salary, great benefits, interesting work mostly, nice working physical environment and some very nice people but....

Cons

unfriendly office environment, absolutely no attempt to communicate organization structure or reporting structure, lack of policies and procedures for understanding responsibilities and other divisions in the company , poor communication from upper management

Advice to Management

recruiting and hiring people is expensive and time consuming, look at your processes after the hire to see why there is such a revolving door

3. manager

I worked at Compliance Implementation Services full-time

Pros

some bright passionate people work here

Cons

some people should not be allowed to make strategic decisions for the company

A great place to learn and work with good people

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Compliance Implementation Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at CIS in the software group has been an excellent experience. There are many applications to work on, each with its own unique challenges, and there are always new projects on the horizon. The small team atmosphere is very collaborative, and the personalities of the group mesh well. I would highly recommend a position here, especially if you are just out of school and seeking a strong foundation in many skills. There are no specialists in the group, and because of that, you will gain experience across the spectrum of web application development.

The software management is very reasonable, and work/life balance is great -- crunch times are rare. The company is definitely growing, and seems to be breaking into ever larger contracts, meaning opportunities for growth should exist, both in terms of career and in technical challenges.

Cons

Don't expect to be spoon-fed what to do. A large part of success in the software group is acting autonomously and working with business users directly. This can be both rewarding and at times frustrating.

The business domain is also fairly conservative (meaning "controls" and "processes" are part of the picture in software management), although I imagine this can be much worse in other industries.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye toward retention in the software group. There are great people working there now, each of whom has built a great deal of software that the business relies upon.

I liked it.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Compliance Implementation Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are absolutely amazing; this was the hardest thing to leave. The devs are awesome and diverse. The customers (all internal) are great. Everyone here loves their craft or doesn't stick around long enough to ruin others. Almost everyone has a great sense of humor. These people really understand what a personal/professional balance is. I could really write pages on this aspect.

Choosing your platform is another wonderful benefit to working here. While nobody used a mac, we had a mix of Windows and Linux platforms with decent hardware to fuel it all. They own their own furniture.

The manager is knowledgeable and passionate. He has a soft spot for new technologies and ideas. He seems to light up when he sees a project with innovative solutions or architecture. He also has been known to admit his shortcomings and seek help when he's over his head (I was often on this side of the desk).

The manager believes in all of his employees to a fault. As stated in the cons, this is a requirement to walk through the door. On a couple of occasions, he went to bat for me when I should have lost my job. On several occasions, he went to bat for the whole team over much more minor aspects (e.g. chosen platforms).

The founders are both quite approachable. Each made a point to tell me goodbye, wish me well, and offer support when I left.

Criticism is offered behind closed doors. While this seems like a given, it's not. I've been roasted in the common area (not at CIS) before.

Project ownership is expected and encouraged. Each project has its owner, but each part within a project is usually owned by a particular person as well. Additionally, each owner is usually assigned (or acquires by default) a resource or 4. The owner and the resources are acknowledged often, sometimes formally but usually informally.

Project ownership also means there is a high amount of autonomy. I was asked often how this project or that was doing, but rare was the occasion where my direction was not dictated by me. There were also days where I just didn't feel like working, and I wasn't chastised for this. Some days I was very unproductive all day, but other days I worked hard for 13 straight hours. Nobody really cares when, how, or where you do your job, as long as you have sufficient office presence, your customers are satisfied, and your work is done well.

Pride is not a spared resource. The manager will often speak of his pride in his people and their accomplishments to any listening ear. The founders will often speak of this pride as well at any meetings they attend, boasting of the most passionate, talented people in the industry. Business Development believes that the employees can build a flying car with a couple twigs and a pen. It all inspires one to feel proud of what one has done. Additionally, this pride was occasionally expressed in the form of free lunch and such.

Learning and expanding boundaries is encouraged. Often (that is, when someone remembered to plan it), the company would buy lunch for a group or the company, and someone would present and teach about a subject.

Prospects are always expanding. The BD team sets ambitious, near-unreachable goals, but sees missing these goals as personal failures. While this can be a little intense sometimes, it's a good sign that they refuse to stagnate.

Cons

Some of the managers have a look that makes you wonder what they're thinking, but it's usually just that they're trying to digest what you just told them.

Scope of projects is usually very limited, as the software is specific to their industry.

Compensation is offset by regular bonuses. This is kind of frustrating, but every 6 months it's like Christmas.

Getting in the door can be rough. You have to get the approval of one manager and about 3 randomly-chosen devs (usually chosen and briefed an hour beforehand), and then get your direct manager to really believe in you. If you love your craft, this is no issue.

Advice to Management

Put drinks and snacks in the kitchens

Lousy employer but great experience. Don't work there more than 2-3 years, if you can make it that long.

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager

I worked at Compliance Implementation Services full-time

Pros

Consulting is a great way to get a variety of pharma experience in a short amount of time. CIS helped me with that but consider other consulting firms.

Cons

Horrendous communication. Management is quick to accuse of wrongdoings and show favoritism to a select few. Management is only concerned about billable hours and has little, if any, desire to help the employees make sure the job is done right. Funny though, they are a COMPLIANCE company, and compliance is so unimportant to them. They have a habit of encouraging bad behavior and ignoring good behavior and successes. They bait and switch their clients - propose stronger more experience personnel and then slide in less experienced people.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. And I don't mean that you should listen to senior management and those who have been there for the longest. Listen to ALL your employees. If everyone complains about communication, benefits, client treatment, employee treatment and more, there must be something to it. The owners should step aside and hire knowledgeable industry experts with strong business and management skills to run the company. Sure, there are industry experts in house, but none of those experts are good at managing people or running a business. Get over your egos and let someone build a better reputation for your company. Better yet, sell the company to people who are more than greedy for $$$. Sell it to people who will take care of the employees and clients while growing the business and making money.

Poor direction, highly micro-managed, pressure-cooker environment, no HR dept, abusive mgmt.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Compliance Implementation Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay very good, decent benefits, very flexible hours, main room had windows so you could see outside. Good lighting. Floors were clean.

Cons

In some ways, this company reminds me of “Amy’s Baking Company” of Scottsdale, AZ. The drill instructor in the movie 'Full Metal Jacket" was a kitten compared to my manager -- at least the DI was consistent and provided training.

My interviews, with all parties concerned, were very misleading. They do put on a very good face but I foolishly chose to disregard my 'spider' sense.

Aggressive management techniques, manager walked up and down the aisles with his hands clasped behind his back all day looking at each persons screen (very open cubicle environment). No coffee breaks or any kind of breaks (except lunch) allowed unless manager wants to talk about their hobbies then he interrupts the work-flow.

Depending upon your physical location within the facility, the environment can be extremely loud and disruptive.

No HR dept. Seriously. Another employee sent me the benefits coverage. The company calendar is on an employee’s personal account.

Incredible micro-management – everything one does or say (no matter how minor, like how fast one types) is critiqued. As a long-term, highly rated, high-level professional, I’ve never been treated this poorly.

The code isn’t documented and comments are rare because there’s never enough time. Even the variable names were hasty and meaningless. Projects have to be cranked out as quickly as possible. Intense pressure-cooker environment.

While good for me (I can’t stand the smell of cigarette smoke on clothing), I noticed that there were no smokers – leaving your desk is a no-no.

You have to be able to produce starting immediately – no chance to acclimate.

Criticism is not welcome. Best to say you’re happy and everything is great.

I regret having accepted this job. This was the worst experience of my working career. I wish I had read the Glassdoor reviews first.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees -- they're not always wrong and the managers are not always in the right.

Potential for much more

I have been working at Compliance Implementation Services

Pros

Sufficient autonomy at times; flexible hours; decent compensation

Cons

Micro-managers; poor communication at times; lack of clear focus and direction of company; haphazard training opportunities

Advice to Management

Improve communication (to what is pertinent) with associates; focus on a few things that will help the company to flourish, rather than try to do everything that stretches resources thin. Increase organic growth rather than just patching holes in management positions with people from the outside.

Poorly managed organization in a good industry.

Current Employee - Consultant in Media, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Media, PA

Pros

Growing field and interesting clients. Good opportunity to learn if you are young and/or new to the industry. Can work as hard as you want.

Cons

No long-term vision. No mission. No leadership. No HR department. Worst benefits around. Crowded office space. No integrity. The philosophy is simply, make as much money for the owners as possible. Consultants are treated as a dime a dozen unless you're one of the chosen few.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to someone who cares about the industry and employees. Try communicating and being more transparent with employees instead of always leaving 95% of the company guessing and wondering what's going on. Hire an experienced HR person instead of a wannabe recruiter.

Far from a competent compliance company - more like a playground.

Former Employee - Consultant in Media, PA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Media, PA

I worked at Compliance Implementation Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are lucky to have a good manager then you could learn a lot. Problem is, there are only a few good ones and it is known they have one foot out the door.

Cons

Most of the subject matter experts are a joke. Promotions are not merit based and handed out like prizes in a cracker jack box. Obsessed with billable hours and overbilling. Senior management has no idea how junior consultants are treated and are dishonest. Caddy environment and lack of leadership accountability. Miserable employees. Not a place for long term employment. Benefits are terrible.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Stop playing favorites. Open eyes to associate views and opinions.

RSS Feed </> Embed