Compliance Implementation Services

Jim Collins

1. Potential

Current Employee - Not Provided in Nowhere, OK
    Current Employee - Not Provided in Nowhere, OK

I have been working at Compliance Implementation Services (Less than a year)

Pros

Potential for growth and opportunity within a niche focus area that is a part of Deloitte; great benefits through Deloitte; management is striving to build and grow the business; to be a part of a large company you still get to be an actual person and not a number that is assigned on random projects; flexibility and work-life balance do exist; casual office - jeans are normal wear everyday; overall - a great place to work!

Cons

Each office location unfortunately has a very different culture and attitude. The Morrisville/Raleigh office and Bristol offices tends to have a better working atmosphere and employees tend to be happier than the Newtown Square office; the Chicago office is really small (1 or 2 people). Due to the structure of the acquisition, current employees have to wait a longer time that normal for a raise so more turnover is very likely. However, new employees starting now would be up for review/raise a year from now, so that would not affect them.

Advice to Management

Find a way to retain the great employees and work on recruiting personnel with industry/consulting experience that are a good fit. Invest more into the employees especially during a difficult time such as a transition. Within the first 30 days, your employees kept up their regular jobs and also met all the requirements of an onboarding employee at Deloitte. Recognize their efforts!

2. OK

I have been working at Compliance Implementation Services full-time

Pros

Extremely nice people to work with

Cons

Sometimes it feels like lots of indecision from management.

3. manager

I worked at Compliance Implementation Services full-time

Pros

freedom to do what you want. travel opportunities if you are interested.

Cons

acquired by deloitte. recently there's been a ton of turnover. indecision. unsure where business is heading.

Advice to Management

start talking to your employees if you want them to stay.

5. Manager

Pros

There are definitely very bright folks that work at the company and assuming you get the facetime, it works in your favor.

Cons

Unless you are quantifiable from the beginning - no one cares enough to help you succeed.

Advice to Management

Work to develop your subordinates, its these folks that will create a better culture for the company.

6. Manager

I have been working at Compliance Implementation Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People, Flexible Working Environment

Cons

Benefits are decent, but they could be better.

Employee retention not important

I worked at Compliance Implementation Services full-time

Pros

good salary, great benefits, interesting work mostly, nice working physical environment and some very nice people but....

Cons

unfriendly office environment, absolutely no attempt to communicate organization structure or reporting structure, lack of policies and procedures for understanding responsibilities and other divisions in the company , poor communication from upper management

Advice to Management

recruiting and hiring people is expensive and time consuming, look at your processes after the hire to see why there is such a revolving door

8. manager

I worked at Compliance Implementation Services full-time

Pros

some bright passionate people work here

Cons

some people should not be allowed to make strategic decisions for the company

A great place to learn and work with good people

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Compliance Implementation Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at CIS in the software group has been an excellent experience. There are many applications to work on, each with its own unique challenges, and there are always new projects on the horizon. The small team atmosphere is very collaborative, and the personalities of the group mesh well. I would highly recommend a position here, especially if you are just out of school and seeking a strong foundation in many skills. There are no specialists in the group, and because of that, you will gain experience across the spectrum of web application development. The software management is very reasonable, and work/life balance is great -- crunch times are rare. The company is definitely growing, and seems to be breaking into ever larger contracts, meaning opportunities for growth should exist, both in terms of career and in technical challenges.

Cons

Don't expect to be spoon-fed what to do. A large part of success in the software group is acting autonomously and working with business users directly. This can be both rewarding and at times frustrating. The business domain is also fairly conservative (meaning "controls" and "processes" are part of the picture in software management), although I imagine this can be much worse in other industries.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye toward retention in the software group. There are great people working there now, each of whom has built a great deal of software that the business relies upon.

I liked it.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Compliance Implementation Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are absolutely amazing; this was the hardest thing to leave. The devs are awesome and diverse. The customers (all internal) are great. Everyone here loves their craft or doesn't stick around long enough to ruin others. Almost everyone has a great sense of humor. These people really understand what a personal/professional balance is. I could really write pages on this aspect. Choosing your platform is another wonderful benefit to working here. While nobody used a mac, we had a mix of Windows and Linux platforms with decent hardware to fuel it all. They own their own furniture. The manager is knowledgeable and passionate. He has a soft spot for new technologies and ideas. He seems to light up when he sees a project with innovative solutions or architecture. He also has been known to admit his shortcomings and seek help when he's over his head (I was often on this side of the desk). The manager believes in all of his employees to a fault. As stated in the cons, this is a requirement to walk through the door. On a couple of occasions, he went to bat for me when I should have lost my job. On several occasions, he went to bat for the whole team over much more minor aspects (e.g. chosen platforms). The founders are both quite approachable. Each made a point to tell me goodbye, wish me well, and offer support when I left. Criticism is offered behind closed doors. While this seems like a given, it's not. I've been roasted in the common area (not at CIS) before. Project ownership is expected and encouraged. Each project has its owner, but each part within a project is usually owned by a particular person as well. Additionally, each owner is usually assigned (or acquires by default) a resource or 4. The owner and the resources are acknowledged often, sometimes formally but usually informally. Project ownership also means there is a high amount of autonomy. I was asked often how this project or that was doing, but rare was the occasion where my direction was not dictated by me. There were also days where I just didn't feel like working, and I wasn't chastised for this. Some days I was very unproductive all day, but other days I worked hard for 13 straight hours. Nobody really cares when, how, or where you do your job, as long as you have sufficient office presence, your customers are satisfied, and your work is done well. Pride is not a spared resource. The manager will often speak of his pride in his people and their accomplishments to any listening ear. The founders will often speak of this pride as well at any meetings they attend, boasting of the most passionate, talented people in the industry. Business Development believes that the employees can build a flying car with a couple twigs and a pen. It all inspires one to feel proud of what one has done. Additionally, this pride was occasionally expressed in the form of free lunch and such. Learning and expanding boundaries is encouraged. Often (that is, when someone remembered to plan it), the company would buy lunch for a group or the company, and someone would present and teach about a subject. Prospects are always expanding. The BD team sets ambitious, near-unreachable goals, but sees missing these goals as personal failures. While this can be a little intense sometimes, it's a good sign that they refuse to stagnate.

Cons

Some of the managers have a look that makes you wonder what they're thinking, but it's usually just that they're trying to digest what you just told them. Scope of projects is usually very limited, as the software is specific to their industry. Compensation is offset by regular bonuses. This is kind of frustrating, but every 6 months it's like Christmas. Getting in the door can be rough. You have to get the approval of one manager and about 3 randomly-chosen devs (usually chosen and briefed an hour beforehand), and then get your direct manager to really believe in you. If you love your craft, this is no issue.

Advice to Management

Put drinks and snacks in the kitchens

Lousy employer but great experience. Don't work there more than 2-3 years, if you can make it that long.

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager

I worked at Compliance Implementation Services full-time

Pros

Consulting is a great way to get a variety of pharma experience in a short amount of time. CIS helped me with that but consider other consulting firms.

Cons

Horrendous communication. Management is quick to accuse of wrongdoings and show favoritism to a select few. Management is only concerned about billable hours and has little, if any, desire to help the employees make sure the job is done right. Funny though, they are a COMPLIANCE company, and compliance is so unimportant to them. They have a habit of encouraging bad behavior and ignoring good behavior and successes. They bait and switch their clients - propose stronger more experience personnel and then slide in less experienced people.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. And I don't mean that you should listen to senior management and those who have been there for the longest. Listen to ALL your employees. If everyone complains about communication, benefits, client treatment, employee treatment and more, there must be something to it. The owners should step aside and hire knowledgeable industry experts with strong business and management skills to run the company. Sure, there are industry experts in house, but none of those experts are good at managing people or running a business. Get over your egos and let someone build a better reputation for your company. Better yet, sell the company to people who are more than greedy for $$$. Sell it to people who will take care of the employees and clients while growing the business and making money.

RSS Feed </> Embed