Composite Software Reviews

Jim Green

1. Good work balance

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Composite Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people, always been appreciated for work done.
    The product itself is great, so I always feel proud to work with such talented engineers around me.
    There is lot of things to learn here, I personally enjoy this learning cycle.

Cons

Sometimes it gets long to get your requests approved but I am sure eventually it does other than that I can't think anything else.

2. Engineering oriented work-life balanced company

Former Employee - SAP Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - SAP Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Composite Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Value adding work, trust based culture, good benefits and salary

Cons

Long term business vision is not clear, considerable doubt that product will be a commodity or under valued by many competitors.

3. An Experience to Remember

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in San Mateo, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Composite Software as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Composite Software is truly a special place powered by a group of genuine and hard-working employees. After having worked at the company for a summer, I left with many priceless experiences. My internship gave me the opportunity to learn an array of valuable lessons from some of the top engineers in my desired field (Software Engineering). Now currently studying at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) in Troy, NY, I have realized that my time at Composite Software was a precious experience that will always be remembered as I start my career.

Cons

Disappointed that I was only there for a summer!

5. Company has vision and is executing well

Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Composite Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great executive staff. Good opportunities for career growth. Hires only highly proficient and technically savvy people

Cons

Could stand more attention to detail.

6. Not perfect, but far better than most

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Composite Software

Pros

The company is full of good people to work with. There seems to be an unwritten rule of 'no jerks allowed'. You can talk with anyone in management that you want to, people are accessible. The pay is good. There are some pretty smart people in the company. They recognize that you have a life outside of work.

Cons

It's a small company, so you can't expect all the support stuff you get in a big company. There isn't any sales management at HQ so if your job involves communication with sales, it's tougher than when sales management is local. The company has been around a while, so it doesn't have the buzz some other places do.

7. The company is a bunch of folks trying to get it right.

Current Employee - Member of the Technical Staff in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Member of the Technical Staff in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Composite Software

Pros

Composite is not afraid to try new things. They regularly innovate, which has made them the unquestioned leader in their space. Plus they put a high priority on hiring very competent people and are not afraid to push out those that don't keep up.

I like the fact that they stay very close to their customers and help them when they get into trouble. This happens regularly since the software is used for the biggest and most complex projects by very large corporations.

The value that Composite brings to their customers is unquestioned. This is a technical company tackling very difficult problems that others cannot solve.

This is a company that takes itself seriously, and takes care of its employees well.

Cons

Composite is really into enterprise software. If you're not, then you won't be happy.

Composite is fascinated by the biggest data problems. If you're an application guy, not for you.

The work is very technical. Difficult to build and challenging to sell. Not an easy road.

The company is not into some of the popular categories like social networking or mobile apps (but it seems to grow substantially every year and appears quite healthy).

I need more stock. :-)

Its a dying company

Current Employee - Professional Services in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Professional Services in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Composite Software

Pros

It is a technology based company from top to bottom.
    If you are at HQ you are taken care of very well.

Cons

If you work outside of San Mateo you are completely ignored.
    The technology has lost its advantege in the market place. Competitors on the high end and the low end have overtaken us.
    The sales organization is completely inept. All resource of the company are focused in one or two regions in the north east causing very anemic growth for the last three years.
    Completely disconnected management.
    Marketing is an absolute joke.

Spend more time in the field listening than talking.

Good place to work, friendly people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Composite Software

Pros

Composite leadership has excellent vision of their competitive space and good insight into what customers want and need.
    A great social environment with genuinely nice people. Management really tries to create a friendly and open place to work with lots of little extras like a fully stocked kitchen with all kinds of snacks (healthy and not), drinks, fruits, and real food, weekly catered Friday company lunches with open seating, lots of open raffles, contests, and cash prizes for jumping into participate in activities, The management invests time and energy in people and hopes lots of opportunities to socialize will also fortify good team synergy.
    The Engineering VP has deep and broad technical knowledge and good people skills. He strikes a great balance in both listening and applying critical analysis to propose and assess relative merits and pitfalls likely with various potential solutions.
    Development working scrums provide teams with frequent informal checkpoints, keeping the work focused on delivering good product according to stake holder requirements.

Cons

Over-reliance on JIRA workflow task monitoring has been an unnecessary drag for developers.
    Task level micro-management and a sense of distrust between product management and developers (among other factors) accelerated team attrition rates in 2011.
    Engineering team needs new blood to accomplish full roadmap of improvements and feature development.

Management is already very aware of their problems and is working actively to compensate for their short-comings. Composite should advertise more aggressively that they offer generous compensation packages to attract top talent and the right persons for their openings.

Better

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Composite Software

Pros

Extremely nice collegues
    Good comp and free snacks
    Plenty of interesting problems to work on
    Wed work from home day
    Resonable work hours
    Big name interesting customers

Bad management in the past couple years caused half the eng department to leave. But the good news is that this has been fixed and things are better and now lots of good opportunities to improve your eng skills and learn new things.

Although growth was flat for a couple years, the company spends carefully and seems to have plenty of stable customers to keep it alive, possibly forever or at least until its bought. So I wouldn't worry about take a position here if the work is interesting.

Cons

Lots of work from support issues.
    Managers in the private offices tend to be out-of-touch with the reports.

Get rid of poor performers. They don't help morale and lower the quality bar of the department.
    Time-management was recently introduced. That should be stopped. Micro-management is degrading and non-effective.
    Stop wasting time on useless projects.

Great place to work

Current Employee - - Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - - Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Composite Software

Pros

Opportunities to learn new technologies. Really hard engineering problems to solve. Lots of really smart, technical people to work with all the way to the top. Good career growth, promotions from within. Company pays engineers well. Strong technical vision- Composite created and leads the Data Virtualization software market. Company goes out of its way to make sure its customers are successful. More than any other place I've been

Cons

Company is so committed to customers' success that release schedules can be moved around to accommodate critical customer issues. Company still has startup mentality and sets goals higher than some might be comfortable with.