Comprehensive Health Services

Updated Jun 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mel Hall

They do what they promised

ProsI am well paid and supported

Consaustere and dangerous working conditions

Advice to Senior Managementwhen things are working well, don't make changes

HQ: Reston, Va Unbelievable nightmare!!!!!!! Low quality management, HR

ProsWork/life balance and pay is good compared to other places.

ConsThree years ago it was a decent place to work. It was teamwork and we all helped each other. Good people have been let go and all new staff hired in last 3 years under one manager. New staff is comprised of all people who only look out for themselves and will step on your neck to advance or stay in good graces of manager. Attitude reflects leadership. Bullying is how it is now managed. Favoritism is rampant. Patient care is not important and patient abuse goes on even after reported. Company no longer will pay for CEU's and told if you want to keep your license you'll pay for your classes. No way to advance. The few perks we had has dwindled to VERY little. HR is very ineffective and do nothing to support staff/workers. They are in bed with managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire quality people with integrity, compassion, intelligence and quit terminating the ones who have it. STOP THE BULLYING!

Don't miss it at all!

Client Services Administrator (Former Employee)
    Reston, VA

ProsPay and benefits were good. Easy to move up with some minor butt kissing and manipulation. Ok place to work overall.

ConsVery unstable and disorganized leadership and company as a whole.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Culture of intimidation and fear

CSA (Current Employee)
    Cape Canaveral, FL

ProsPay, close to beach, no sat or sunday work

ConsNepotism, sexist management, resources scarce, culture of big brother, resources are adequate but just. Gossip is rampant and by Friday at 2pm everyone is gone for the week.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to update training classes

Manager's are hit or miss in the people skills department.

Occupational Health Nurse (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsCHS has some very well- known customer names. The pay is reasonably competitive. I had one manager at one location who really good to work for.

ConsA fair amount of internal back-stabbing. Too many hands in the hiring process. Managers don't keep each other informed. After having received excellent reviews as a health care professional for several national companies, I had one manager walk me to the door on my fourth day without cause or explanation. That manager apparently never thoroughly read my resume. She was surprised to know of my additional qualifications.The Senior Account Executive for that customer talked non-stop for fifty-five minutes of an hour interview, then asked "Any questions ?".

Advice to Senior ManagementYou don't have to have everyone holding hands all day, but if you continue to foster this type of punitive management style, you'll lose many talented people

Culture of Fear

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery few. The best I can say is "it's a paycheck"

ConsEmployment at CHS is governed by a culture of fear. Fear that on any given day, YOU will be the one escorted out of the building. No consistency in the rules. No adherence to the company's own corporate policies. An HR director with an attitude of superiority and little to no concern about federal employment laws. HR completely unconcerned about what is "right" or "fair", catering strictly to satisfying the hubris of a select few managers. Upper level management not being clear or concise with expectations, more of a "just get it done" directive with no empowerment or authority to actually "get it done". This creates a recipe for failure--every time. Employees left to "guess" the expected process/result.

If you express an opinion that contradicts or opposes HR or executive management, you may as well consider yourself marked for termination and start looking elsewhere for a job. Even when mid-level managers (at this company, that would be Director's and below) make poor staffing decisions, the highest levels lack the fortitude to correct the action. I've seen it several times and it's sad that management/owners completely distance themselves when adverse actions are taken against hard working individuals.

I'm disappointed in CHSi and the direction they have taken--people no longer matter, despite the lip service paid to "the well being of the employees".

Advice to Senior ManagementReturn to the roots and recognize and reward (monetary or accolades) the people that contributed to your success. Recognize that it is the admin, CSS, CSA, and first level management that has made the company great...and CHSi has lost a whole lot of wonderful talent from the incompetence of some that have been peter principled (promoted beyond their level of competence). Realize that processes can be learned, but good people skills are more important and those that don't have them should never be put in charge.

It's a Job

ProsFlexible
    Monday through Friday
    Gym
    Flexibility
    Your own desk

ConsUpper Management has no idea what they are doing
    There is no sense of team morale
    Management will not explain to you what is going on in the company
    No team meetings
    Favoritism amongst management and team members
    Not a lot of recognition for a job well done.
    Managers make themselves out to be inferior

Advice to Senior ManagementStart Over

Progressive but disorganized.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsLeading company for onsite occupational and medical services for some very big name companies. Good salaries and decent benefit packages.

ConsUnfamiliar and disorganized processes. Not enough support from management. Not enough staff to complete their underestimated workload. Salary with lots of time worked over, no overtime pay given.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff clinics appropriately based on need. There were processes in place and staffing in place before clinic are outsourced, yet that is overlook and underestimated during the transition and it wears the staff down.

Embarrasing

Reston, VA

ProsPay isn't horrible- there is a gym on-site

Consmanagement has no idea what they're doing

Great Pay, Bad Benefits

Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat pay; great work/life balance; Office hours: M-F 9-5; no holidays, evenings, weekends, on-call; management open to suggestions; 2-3% pay raise every year

ConsNot enough PTO; terrible health insurance plan; tend to hire incompetent staff based on resumes and phone interviews only

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck references before hiring

Worked for Comprehensive Health Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Comprehensive Health Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Comprehensive Health Services CEO Mel Hall. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Comprehensive Health Services employees.