CompuCom Reviews in Dallas, TX

Updated October 14, 2014
2.7

CompuCom President and CEO James W. Dixon
James W. Dixon

Pros
  • They do have a good work life balance and it is a pretty laid back atmosphere (in 15 reviews)

• The ability to work from home (if you are in the right department (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No annual raises or cost of living allowance for 5 years and counting, period (in 18 reviews)

• Salary doesn't match market value and no raises in the last 5 years (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

72 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Make promises, don't keep them.

Current Employee - Contractor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Contractor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CompuCom as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good team of people, good entry level job. Nice training opportunities. Employee treatment isn't actually bad, it's just really mediocre.

Cons

Management just doesn't keep their word. Their motto is WIRE (win-win, integrity, respect, excellence), but it's all a one-way street. Employees are expected to have those virtues, but management doesn't really have do much to demonstrate management has them.

You want to show respect for your employees? Pay them better than industry average. Want to show off your integrity? Actually keep the promises you make to employees. Do those things and we will believe in management excellence. That's a win-win.

Good, then Bad, slowly getting back to Good

Current Employee - Technical Support Technician in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support Technician in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CompuCom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have a work at home program which is great when you live an hour away. The pay rate was competitive when I got hired. They have decent benefits but they keep getting worse yearly but I am sure most places are like that. The offices are nice and they have an onsite gym to work out when needed. The people there are nice for the most part and easy to talk to.

Cons

Now they are hiring customer service reps instead of Technical Support Specialists/Technicians for service desk duties so they can drop the pay grade. This is a great disservice to customers. The majority of people in my dept. have not gotten raises in many years, 5 years for me. There is not much advancement as of the past several years. HR can overstep their bounds.

The company needs to go back to the way it was run 3-4 years ago with the addition of pay raises for everyone.

Great working!!!!!!!!!!!@@@@@@@@@

Current Employee - Networking Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Networking Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CompuCom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Co Workers
    Telecommute option for some management

Cons

Constant reductions in force too much work with less people.

none

Excellent opportunity for starting a career, but hard to see benefit for seasoned professionals

Current Employee - BUSINESS SYSTEMS SPECIALIST in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - BUSINESS SYSTEMS SPECIALIST in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CompuCom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* Easy to get in the door
    * Relatively quick advancement if you're driven
    * Tend to hire from within
    * Employer-paid training/certification opportunities (used to be - not as much lately)
    * Generous amounts of vacation time
    * Open to working remotely in roles where it is possible

Cons

* Compensation is not even remotely competetive
    * Feels very disorganized and chaotic
    * Constant fire-fighting - often feels like there is no long-term planning at all
    * Lots of corporate bureaucracy and positioning between managers
    * Cost of living and working there (benefits being removed or reduced) constantly rising, salary increases minimal if at all

* Reverse the trend of taking merit increases, benefits and perks away from employees while expecting more from them. It leads to burnout and extremely poor morale.

Good place to Star a carrer in IT

Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at CompuCom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers , benefits, training, free certs, experience acquired , very well organized company,

Cons

Management expect you to do a lot, they expect you to be an expert in 3 months,

Not a good company to work for.

Current Employee - Major Incident Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Major Incident Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CompuCom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of over time.

Cons

Pay, benefits, employee treatment.

Pay better, offer better benefits, take care of your employees.

Use them like they use you

Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at CompuCom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At the corporate office in Dallas they have nice amenities like a great Cafeteria and a nice workout room. The agents on my team and some on other teams are great people.

Cons

If you don't understand the concept of what you need to use this company for you will not get the whole picture. This company is what you make of it. Use them for the experience to get in the door of IT and get certifications that they will pay for, and leave. If you do not do this, your career will go no where. There is no room to grow from within, and they will not compensate you for your hard work and time put in. I worked at the helpdesk at the Corp office and they have since took a left turn in the wrong direction. They are pushing out seasoned agents that may have a higher wage, to replace them with customer service reps that can read a knowledge base article. Instead of building back their tech reputation with new or already signed clients, they are taking the easy way out to minimize overhead and maximize profits. Any GOOD tech will leave, and any good techs still there are either looking to leave, or no longer even try because there is no motivation or incentive to. The new rules for agents about not eating at their desks and minimizing the "appearance of working" is setting everyone up for failure. Changing tardies to only 15 a year before getting written up, then fired is setting everyone up that is not an asset to them in the profit margin, for failure and easy termination. They will over work you, under pay you, never give you a raise and allow you to cert yourself up just to leave. They essentially PAY YOU TO LEAVE, since there is no other choice. Here, get all these certifications that we pay for, then we won't utilize your new skills by filling positions we have available from within...so your only other choice is to get up, and get a better job somewhere else.

You have/had potential in your company at one time, and you could have that again, but you won't since the reputation of who CompuCom employs and how they're treated has been tarnished. Hiring cheap labor techs that will only anger your current clients will only make the helpdesk go away quicker, not be more profitable.

Adequate

Current Employee - Program Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Program Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CompuCom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Are a market leader in Help Desk and Desk Top outsourcing. Good business growth in their chosen area.

Cons

With just Help Desk and Desk Top the company is limited in their ability to grow as an outsourcer. The company is owned by outside investors determined to see a profit. The company seems to spend a lot of time and effort to make sure that none of the "little people", help desk agents, desk top support tech's, get an extra nickel.

Consider broadening your market offerings. Help desk has become a commodity, every one know how to do it well enough. Build loyalty with the pick and shovel work force by creating career paths from those entry level positions.

Meh

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at CompuCom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My tenure with CompuCom started strong, but after a couple of years, meh.
    The benefits were actually ok. Many valuable discounts with various vendors and the health savings account is a brilliant way to pay for healthcare if you're relatively healthy like most people are.

Cons

Negotiate your best salary upfront because you'll be stuck with it for a long time.
    It was not unusual for people...particularly minorities...to be subjected to a hostile work environment.
    Unless you're a brown nosing pet pig, management can be very difficult for no reason.
    The organization was very flat. Additionally, there was no opportunity for training, development, or personal growth.

The runway

Current Employee - Information Securiy Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Information Securiy Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CompuCom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As my title suggests - this is the place that you can use to launch your career.
    This is a good place to start your career for the sake of gaining experience.
    Depending on where you are working , you will be exposed to multiple clients hence really expanding your exposure.
    Also excellent in certification growth - they pay 100% for major vendor exams.

Cons

I believe we are under industry standard compensation.
    Poor incentive for growth within.
    I know people who have accepted title promotions but no increased pay.

If you really want to keep a decent name in terms of pay - please don't let your experts leave.
    Pay them well and this will keep our customers happy for a higher retention and longevity.......otherwise you keep losing good talent every-time due to underpaying us.