CompuCom Reviews in Minneapolis, MN

Updated August 14, 2014
2.7

CompuCom President and CEO James W. Dixon
James W. Dixon

Pros
  • They do have a good work life balance and it is a pretty laid back atmosphere (in 14 reviews)

• The ability to work from home (if you are in the right department (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No annual raises or cost of living allowance for 5 years and counting, period (in 17 reviews)

• Salary doesn't match market value and no raises in the last 5 years (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great team to work with...

Current Employee - Operations Administrator  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Operations Administrator in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at CompuCom full-time for more than a year

Pros

The core management knows what they don't know, and is willing to ask to acquire that knowledge. This makes it a general delight to work with them.

Cons

Merit increases are often three (or more!) years apart, and are typically sub-3%. This is simply unacceptable in the IT field.

Keep listening and reacting to employee feedback.

Was a great company to work for... 5 years ago

Current Employee - Desktop Support  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Desktop Support in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at CompuCom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I like my direct manager and coworkers a great deal. I like the environment that I work in on a client site. Higher PTO than most companies I've previously worked for.

Cons

Took over 2 years to get a salary increase when I was internally promoted. When I finally did the pay increase was decent but when I asked for back pay I was told that I voluntarily worked for the lower rate for two years and HR basically laughed at my request to be compensated for two years of additional duties that I had been performing. The pay overall is low for the industry. Quarterly performance bonuses have been eliminated, annual raises are non-existent even with perfect performance reviews. There is literally no way to get financially compensated for consistently going above and beyond.

Consider giving pay increases to the employees who deserve them. High turnover costs more than giving someone a 50-cent raise every now and then.

No advancement

Current Employee - Material Handling Tech  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Material Handling Tech in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at CompuCom full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Hard place t get fired from. They require the employees to have a Biometric screening, then charge them each pay period if you fail

Cons

Very few increases. hard to get promotions he raises you get are small the best way to get a raise is to quit and get re-hired.

Communicate better, help your employees ge the train and supplies they need to do their job

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company for a good start to leave for better.

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at CompuCom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It was a nice atmosphere when I started with the company. Talented people.

Cons

Poor management not knowing real problems on the field. No pay rates increase while annoying announcements about who and how got a big chair. Blahblahblah meetings.

Promote people! Get higher pay rates to the ones who work hard for company! Make money on new contracts not the employees suffering from low rates.

pretty good place

Former Employee - Network Analyst  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Network Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at CompuCom as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

worker friendly environment good hours.

Cons

actual employees didn't always care about work ethics and working as a team effort.

Not terrible, but many better companies out there.

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at CompuCom full-time for more than a year

Pros

For any entry level engineer it's a great place to grind out some certifications. They pay for your first 2 attempts on any exam, meaning you can fail your first attempt at the CCNA and not be angry you're out $250 for the failure.

Get in, grind certs, get out is the best way to work at this company.

Cons

There really are quite a few. ZERO cost of living increases in pay for 4 years. (remember the recession was supposed to have ended in 2009? Not according to Compucom) The company had bonus' for management this year, but not a single dollar to normal employees. For a group of 50 they allotted $400 for our Christmas party. A seriously cheap company.

They only give you the holidays off on their schedule, not the company you contract at. So if your company takes off banking holidays, you get stuck taking PTO because they won't let you work that day.

They have the worst coverage of any heath care package I've seen. Dental has a max payout of $800 a year?!?! Better hope you never need to get so much as a single crown or more than 1/2 will come out of your pocket. Their health coverage in MN is pretty terrible too. ($315 per month for a family of 4, both adults in good health under the age of 35)

When getting hired get the opportunity to move up in writing.

For being an IT company, it sure seems like you don't understand how important employee retention is. More than 50% of my team has turned over in 2 years, almost entirely because the rates being paid are well under industry standards. All that remains after that kind of employee churn are the people who aren't qualified enough to get a job elsewhere.

Not a good final carrer move.

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at CompuCom

Pros

Good stepping stone, entry-level opportunities.

Cons

Management would not give employee's who have potential consideration when opportunities were available to move up.

Underpaid vs. similar positions at other companies in the area.

Pay freeze has been in effect since 2009, including 401k matching.

In Minneapolis, the financial firm we were contracted for the manager is not well versed in technology and chooses to micromanage everyone in the department at times taking on way too much and dropping the ball. The client has made comments at times about how over-worked she is, and how she doesn't seem to understand much of the technology we are contracted to support.

Companies should listen more to the employees who are forward facing to the clients.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at CompuCom

Pros

They believe that family time & play are as important as the work. Training is a topic that they discuss. In some cases they do not want to pay for the certifications. The beneifits of working for this are very good.

Cons

They are not a company that shows loyalty to their employees. They pay about 20% below market for this position at least & they have changed the scope of the position I had been hired for originally, multiple times. All the changes were adding more responsibilities & more technology to be supported. In the years I have been with the company I have seen only 3 raises of minimal amounts in double digit years of service. They do not give cost of living raises, only performance raises, however those do not seem to be fairly distributed.

Don't just say you care about your employees & don't tell your employees one day that there are no raises & then many times over the course of that next year post nothing but gains. Worse than that you rub it in everyone's face via email.

Worked for CompuCom? Contribute to the Community!