CompuCom

Updated December 18, 2014
2.6

CompuCom President and CEO James W. Dixon
James W. Dixon

Pros
  • They do have a good work life balance and it is a pretty laid back atmosphere (in 16 reviews)

• The ability to work from home (if you are in the right department (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No annual raises or cost of living allowance for 5 years and counting, period (in 19 reviews)

• Salary doesn't match market value and no raises in the last 5 years (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to start and get experience

Current Employee - Desktop Support Technician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at CompuCom full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Its a good place to start your IT career.
    Good range of training tools at your disposal.
    They offer good Healthcare plan.
    They match what you invest in your 401k.
    They offer Vouchers for any certification(Comptia, Microsoft, Cisco, Apple etc).
    Get certified, get experience then get out of here.

Cons

They will hire you as an entry level Desktop Support tech with Low salary. After you start working, they will unload work that was not part of your initial job description.

For example: Server support, data center operator roles, benchtop roles, infrastructure roles and Oncall 24x7

Work and responsibilities increase but Salary stays the same.
    No career advancement.

Salary and job description should match actual job responsibilities.

Project work

Former Employee - IT ASSISTANT
    Former Employee - IT ASSISTANT

I worked at CompuCom

Pros

I never met my boss and rarely had to talk to him. The interview process was done over the phone quite casually and they made me an offer after 30 minutes of the usual questions. Short shifts but they still paid 40 hours per week no matter what.

Cons

There was a lot of travel as expected given the job. Hours had to accommodate stores' downtime which meant 3am starts after 100 mile drives.

Fairly organized

Former Employee - POS Field Technician in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - POS Field Technician in Mesa, AZ

I worked at CompuCom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Tasks are fairly straight forward, not much micro management.

Cons

Managers will never approach you directly to correct poor actions, they'll either pass it off to someone else or just blast out an email to the whole crew (Not mentioning names). That might be a Pro for some people.

Technical Support Specialist

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Kettering, OH
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Kettering, OH

I worked at CompuCom

Pros

The job is what you make of it, you can put your head down and learn and master many skills.

Cons

The workers are not treated as if they have a path to be promoted. The organization I worked in was focused on signing new business more than they were keeping commitment to existing customers. The result was employees left twisting in the wind with unhappy customers.

Focus on meeting existing commitments. Promote capable team leads and mentor them to assist with protecting your brand with existing customers.

Good people

Former Employee - Hardware Technician in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Hardware Technician in Stamford, CT

I worked at CompuCom part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at UBS for Compucom and it was a great experience with great people. I learned a lot about being a hardware technician and developed great realationships with the manager and other techs

Cons

I only worked there part time, because I was still in high school, I was paid hourly. I did not get to see much of the corporate structure, I only dealt with my project manager

good

Current Employee - Network Engineer
    Current Employee - Network Engineer

I have been working at CompuCom

Pros

good work environment and corporate culture

Cons

short term contract , currently of unknown length

A good company to work

Former Employee - Systems Integration Manager
    Former Employee - Systems Integration Manager

I worked at CompuCom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

CompuCom gives you opportunities to grow and they are very selective of talent that grows and develops the best staff.
    They are Nationwide so opportunities abound for those who are free to move to different locations to find work and they try to make a great work environment.

Cons

The typical pay is not that great overall.

Get into the field to meet and know you staff and make meetings have value and continually point to education that will help staff in earning more.

Not the best place to work.

Current Employee - Field Service Technician
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician

I have been working at CompuCom

Pros

Big on training, can get a lot of certifications and the company will pay for test's, will also pay for your time to do online courses.

Cons

Low pay, no company vehicle, high deductible health insurance plan, few tools provided.

Treat your employees better. Provide tools, company vehicles/fleet cards, don't go back on pay increases you've said you would give, and pay better at start.

This job is going nowhere.

I have been working at CompuCom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The checks cash and they will help with certs. The other techs that I have met are good people that have the same Pro's and Con's with this company that I do. We are working on a program that has a 99% customer approval rating...yes, that is a nationwide program covering a couple THOUSAND locations getting a 99% approval rating from the customer. Unheard of, right?

Cons

I took the job because it was a new program that sounded interesting, may lead to something. The low pay was making me hesitate, but then," We will give you a company car and quarterly bonuses" came into play. Sounds Good! I got the car(cannot use as personal) and was told that the FIRST AND LAST HOUR of driving was on my time, not theirs...ok, I'll deal with it. I'll get quarterly bonuses.....NOPE! Some guy crashed his car 2 states away, so no bonus. Why am I held responsible for the actions of someone I do not know and didn't hire? Sounds like a management problem. After a year, I asked about a raise....WE ALL DID. We were told to wait until September...then October...then NOVEMBER...Now December, we are told sometime in the first quarter of the next year, then another raise in the third quarter...you could tell the eyes were rolling from everyone on the one-way conference call. I didn't expect this from a company that did $2.3 BILLION gross in 2012. Everyone's moral is in the toilet. Everyone is expecting a 15 cent/hr slap in the face when/if the management decides to share the good fortune. If you work for this company, get the certs and leave. The extra knowledge will help you elsewhere, not here. This company pays the absolute minimum.

1. We love what we do. We are great at what we do. We are a great team. We really do care about the customer.
    2. Love the customer, hate our own company.
    3. Your Techs do not feel appreciated. They feel lied to and easily replaced by some schmo who will do a bad job,
        lose tools and wreck a car while making the minimum that you will pay.
    4. Our bonuses shouldn't pay for the mistakes of management.
    5. "They think I'm a sucker" is a quote I heard last week.
    6. Its only a matter of time until the customer dumps CompuCom. The revolving door of techs you have learning their infrastructure is a HUGE security risk.
    7. "We appreciate all that you do and this program is a big success because of you." -we hear this all the time from you. We already know this. Money will make it real to the both of us.

Coorporate office

I have been working at CompuCom

Pros

Work/Life balance, people nice and polite, management friendly and homble

Cons

Equity firms owners out to squeaze out every last dollar have ruined this business, poor conpensation has lead to mediocre work force, cost of lviing increases only every 2-3 years - merit has nothing to do with compensation, here, pop is for sales force and management so smart/hard work is not rewarded financially here pats on the back just don't cut it

Pay your best performers market rates, try to buy out the owners-they are short term players, you;ll never achieve your core values as long as you are owned by pirate equity firms