CompuCom

CompuCom Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

CompuCom President and CEO James W. Dixon

James W. Dixon

Pros
  • They do have a good work life balance and it is a pretty laid back atmosphere(in 14 reviews)

• The ability to work from home (if you are in the right department(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No annual raises or cost of living allowance for 5 years and counting, period(in 17 reviews)

• Salary doesn't match market value and no raises in the last 5 years(in 28 reviews)

Working with CompuCom is great!

Inventory Administrator (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsI have enjoyed working with CompuCom. Although I was assigned to a short-term contract position, it afforded me the opportunity to display additional skills as well as seeing parts of the country for the first time. I look forward to continuing my relationship with this company.

ConsThe only con would be that these have been short term and a longer term position is my ultimate desire. But, I am enjoying the association.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am available, willing and able to take on additional assignments and look forward to the opportunity to do more.

Good experience

Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsSeveral contracts which provides good experience on a wide range of companies

ConsHad seven managers in 5 years.

Great Co-Workers, Poor Leadership

Technical Support Technician (Former Employee)

ProsThe direct management and leads tend to be very competent and will work hard to support you without micro-managing. Depending on your position, the pay can be competitive depending on the contract. When I started there, the benefits were very competitive (this has changed, unfortunately).

ConsI was a technician that was placed on a specific contract rather than a roaming or mobile tech so many of the cons I have are related to that specific scenario. Advancement is all but impossible in many positions. If you are working on a contract and that contract is terminated, it can be very difficult for them to place you somewhere else which means you will most likely be laid off. This diminishes many of the benefits to being an employee of a company that holds a contract rather than simply a contractor. Since the economic downturn in 2008, the benefits package has been slashed time and time again until it became mostly a joke. Merit increases were suspended for most of the time I was there and I never got a raise my entire tenure. Working on a customer site, I was mostly cut off from CompuCom politics and really anybody that wasn't a direct supervisor or co-worker so I don't have a lot to say about the leadership at the company, but it was my impression that it wasn't very effective due to the steady and seemingly inevitable decline in the quality of employee benefits with really only the barest semblance of an explanation given.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on providing consistent leadership to all of your employees, even those on the lower rungs of the organization. These employees are your most visible face to your customers and so their happiness and well-being should probably be your top priority if you are interested in maintaining positive relationships in the industry. I'm not well versed on the sales team but based on the results, I would say that you might want to think about your performance there and consider innovative ways to win new contracts while also working on retention in the face of a changing marketplace.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Depends...

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsYou run your own domain, great management team

ConsRecently acquired by Thomas H. Lee Partners, L.P. (“THL”), a leading private equity firm, and we already see cuts to our consultant must have needs. Very bad idea if you want to survive and retain top talent. Weak sales team seem to get cheap customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople who are willing to travel the country for you and spend 4 days a week away from home should be held a little higher than a bottom line numbers.

Company has changed over the years

ProsThe people who work for this company are great and will do anything to assist you.

ConsSenior management is more worried about the bottom line then employees. They have taken away some of benefits over the years and have not given raises in the past 4 years. Employee moral is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to listen and do something when they get the employees surveys.

A great company to get started working in the IT Field

Field Services Technician Team Lead (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsAlways learning new things.
    Good benefits package, Paid Time Off system, Training System
    A lot of Job freedom and good work life balance.

ConsCan take a long time to move up in the company. It took me around 7 years to move from Field Tech to Team Lead.
    Pay scale is not always great depending on where you live.
    In most cases you do not interact with other employees as you are on the move a lot from site to site. This may also be a Pro depending on the person.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways treat your employees well and they will work hard for you. Also sometimes you have to say no to a clients demands.

Thought it was a good company, then I started working there.....

EX-MS- Desktop Support Analyst (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsGreat place to get your foot in the door, but make sure it doesn't get stuck in there, unless an apprentice / entry level pay check are all you ever dreamed of. "Working" staff are very competent and a great group of people to work with.
    Free pizza lunch once in a blue moon.

ConsLOW wages, no merit / raise increases, no more performance bonus program, no overtime. Insurance will be next to nothing by next year. They keep adding responsibilities to employees work load, with out considering a promotion or raise. Imagine having a 20+ year career in IT, and making less than $18.00 an hour, with nope hope of a raise or promotion!! *** I could put a bow on it, but the place would still be a pile of crap!!***

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is here to watch the company bottom line, and keep costs down. This leads the to big money contracts for the company, but very poor wages for the people who get the job done. I realize investors want top dollar in return, but why does it have to be at the expense of your front line employees?

Great Supervisors, Horrible Management

Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsPaid Certifications
    Great co-workers
    Immediate management is fantastic, usually
    There isn't a lot of micro management going on.

ConsDespite obtaining multiple certifications, no pay increase
    No cost of living adjustment in over 4 years
    According to Upper management, you don't exist.
    While there is usually very little micro-management, it tends to lead to being forgotten about. God forbid you end up on an account by yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company has had multiple years of profit records. Spread it out a little. Don't forget the little guys.

Failure of Leadership

Systems Integration Analyst (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsAccess to training material, pays for certifications. That's it.

ConsSalary/Compensation is low and they are not even shy about admitting it is in the bottom 30 percent. Compucom only cares about eliminating costs in every way they can(benefits, salary, perks) for a better bottom line since we are now owned by a capital management firm. Management treats employees like commodities and not people. Little to zero advancement opportunities. Clueless and spineless management. Allows company to agree to ridiculous contract terms that we have to end up supporting and when we have a hard time meeting responsibilities as defined in the contract with our customer, it comes back on us. Morale is very low and our senior people are all looking for other jobs. Management is not stepping up to the plate and improving things by doing what it takes to stop turnover and improve morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people, treat them people with respect and stop passing the buck on issues that create nightmares for them. Stop expecting more and more from your people that are already beaten down and overburdened.

More contractors dilutes the value of service

Field Technician (Former Employee) Savannah, GA

ProsHard to say. I was with them five months. With more than a dozen years in the industry. I really saw nothing spectacular.

ConsA lot depends upon the luck of the draw with respect to environment. With a good manager and co-workers, the cons can be minimal. Unfortunately, while in my case the manager was good, the co-worker had a terrible bedside manner. And he wasn't as savvy as he thought.

I was a contractor. That seems to be the way that the industry is heading. More contractors, fewer direct employees. In my case, I was promised a direct position which they never made good on.

Also, EVERYTHING is OJT. There is no company provided training. And each client has a unique and complicated set of call handling techniques.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees. Provide company training and orientation. And ditch the contractor philosophy. It may seem to save money, but from a learning curve standpoint as well as employee commitment to the organization, it costs more in the long run.

Worked for CompuCom? Contribute to the Community!