CompuCom Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
2.7

CompuCom President and CEO James W. Dixon
James W. Dixon

Pros
  • They do have a good work life balance and it is a pretty laid back atmosphere (in 15 reviews)

• The ability to work from home (if you are in the right department (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No annual raises or cost of living allowance for 5 years and counting, period (in 18 reviews)

• Salary doesn't match market value and no raises in the last 5 years (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome Deskside Support

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Nashville, TN

I have been working at CompuCom as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent growth opportunities if you want. If you don't you won't last long

Cons

Less Cross-Contract work, Better Communication

Not a good company to work for.

Current Employee - Major Incident Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Major Incident Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CompuCom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of over time.

Cons

Pay, benefits, employee treatment.

Pay better, offer better benefits, take care of your employees.

No management or people skills

Current Employee - Systems Support Tech in Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Systems Support Tech in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at CompuCom as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Just a Paycheck. Nothing else follows!

Cons

Coworkers come to work drunk or high
    Managers don't know how to communicate without being confrontational.
    If you are educated managers appear threatened or feel then to talk down to you.
    Begininng to loose contracts/business.

Learn how to conduct and understand the etiquette of business. i.e. Surely the old boy network should be dead by now.

company with heartless management

Current Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at CompuCom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Err, there were none that i could thik of.

Cons

mismanagement
    Dishonesty
    lOW LOW PAY
    lack of promotions
    management that has anger management issues

Fire your managers and give your employees the cash you pay them.

get the experience and move on...

Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at CompuCom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of possibilities to gain career experience and MOVE on.

Cons

They outsource... That's their primary focus, to move jobs to other countries like India and Mexico. I HATE companies like this: Make a boat loads of money for their investors, shipping jobs overseas meanwhile the hard working american family's live are destroyed. I hope they burn to the ground with all the rich "Rolex" executives and investors in the building...

Don't believe anything management says about moving up in the company as it's simply NOT true!

Use them like they use you

Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at CompuCom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At the corporate office in Dallas they have nice amenities like a great Cafeteria and a nice workout room. The agents on my team and some on other teams are great people.

Cons

If you don't understand the concept of what you need to use this company for you will not get the whole picture. This company is what you make of it. Use them for the experience to get in the door of IT and get certifications that they will pay for, and leave. If you do not do this, your career will go no where. There is no room to grow from within, and they will not compensate you for your hard work and time put in. I worked at the helpdesk at the Corp office and they have since took a left turn in the wrong direction. They are pushing out seasoned agents that may have a higher wage, to replace them with customer service reps that can read a knowledge base article. Instead of building back their tech reputation with new or already signed clients, they are taking the easy way out to minimize overhead and maximize profits. Any GOOD tech will leave, and any good techs still there are either looking to leave, or no longer even try because there is no motivation or incentive to. The new rules for agents about not eating at their desks and minimizing the "appearance of working" is setting everyone up for failure. Changing tardies to only 15 a year before getting written up, then fired is setting everyone up that is not an asset to them in the profit margin, for failure and easy termination. They will over work you, under pay you, never give you a raise and allow you to cert yourself up just to leave. They essentially PAY YOU TO LEAVE, since there is no other choice. Here, get all these certifications that we pay for, then we won't utilize your new skills by filling positions we have available from within...so your only other choice is to get up, and get a better job somewhere else.

You have/had potential in your company at one time, and you could have that again, but you won't since the reputation of who CompuCom employs and how they're treated has been tarnished. Hiring cheap labor techs that will only anger your current clients will only make the helpdesk go away quicker, not be more profitable.

Disorganized Insanity

Former Employee - Network Specialist in Bentonville, AR
    Former Employee - Network Specialist in Bentonville, AR

I worked at CompuCom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Casual work environment, freedom to grow, decent insunance

Cons

Lack of organization. Snap decisions made by managemnt that often had bad unforeseen effects. No performance evaluations or raise schedule. Your work environment would frequently change over the wekend to something unrecogizable. In Bentonville, business was 98% based on Wal Mart, who would frequently change course in mid stream, make demands outside of signed agreements, and get their way with threats.

If you want to retain skilled employees, give them a sense of security, and a program of annual salary review. Quit overhauling office environments every other week.

Not great

Former Employee - Desktop Support in Greenwood Village, CO
    Former Employee - Desktop Support in Greenwood Village, CO

I worked at CompuCom as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Team lead at the site I worked for was very flexible and understanding if you had to leave work early for some reason. Free certifications after 9 months as a contractor. Decent corporate discount for wireless phone service and other purchases.

Cons

Poor pay, not willing to negotiate pay during hiring process, micro-managing in the form of nudges from a dog named Lloyd, not provided with tools to do job, no benefits as contractor. No one to really escalate difficult technical issues to. Training is (at the site I worked on at least) minimal to non-existent and you will find yourself being coached on things that you should have been trained on to begin with.

The client site I was at (Cigna in Greenwood VIllage) has a poor culture. Employees of Cigna have to "rob Peter to pay Paul". In other words, if you want something; take it from an empty desk or wherever you can find it. Most Cigna employees walk around frustrated and with a huge chip on their shoulder. One of the employees told me they were processing death benefits for their co-workers, as the job was so stressful that it lead to their demise. When my contract ended; supposedly it was for complaints to "someone" high on the corporate ladder of the IT department at Cigna. Compucom had NO specific details as to the complaints and stated "it's what the customer wants and we have to comply". Furthermore, Cigna promotes an unfriendly environment when it comes to contractors. Contractors are not included in site events, unless they sneak in.

Advice to Compucom management:
    1) Pay better wages
    2) Decrease the level of micro-managing
    3) Offer some sort of benefits besides corporate discounts
    4) Offer some training on the systems we use (HPSM)

Advice to Cigna Management:
    1) Treat contractors as a whole better than you do now
    2) Stop blaming contractors for everything that goes wrong
    3) If a complaint is received about a contractor, provide them with some details and give them a chance to correct the behavior.
    4)Stop being so cheap

I never had an issue except for pay rate

I have been working at CompuCom

Pros

Support is Great. Other techs take there jobs seriously, and are supportive. For the most part employees seem content.

Cons

Below industry standard wages. Sometimes unclear on what is to be done. Sending wrong computers to client locations.

I have had a long term stable, progressive career with CompuCom.

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CompuCom full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

CompuCom has successfully navigated through market shifts/changes while keeping company culture and employee and customer satisfaction at it's core. Management has been very supportive, open and honest. I have seen many decisions made in the interest of retaining top talent. CompuCom is also very flexible with offering remote work solutions.

Cons

CompuCom has had to make some tough decisions to remain profitable and competitive in the marketplace. This has sometime negatively impacted some of the benefits and compensation options for current associates.

Continue to remain focused on company culture and on open, honest communication.