CompuCom

Updated January 27, 2015
2.7

CompuCom President and CEO James W. Dixon
James W. Dixon

Pros
  • They do have a good work life balance and it is a pretty laid back atmosphere (in 16 reviews)

• The ability to work from home (if you are in the right department (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No annual raises or cost of living allowance for 5 years and counting, period (in 19 reviews)

• Salary doesn't match market value and no raises in the last 5 years (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Experience, knowledgeable employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

I worked at CompuCom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many contract job opportunities. A lot of good people working here.

Cons

Not sure if it was the economy, but only got a 20 cent raise in almost 4 years along with all the other techs so it wasn't just me. Seen others make this same criticism.

Once the word spreads enough, no one will want to work at CompuCom when other employers pay more.

Adequate

I have been working at CompuCom full-time

Pros

You can start a career here

Cons

No comment at this time

Good, then Bad, slowly getting back to Good

Current Employee - Technical Support Technician in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support Technician in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CompuCom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have a work at home program which is great when you live an hour away. The pay rate was competitive when I got hired. They have decent benefits but they keep getting worse yearly but I am sure most places are like that. The offices are nice and they have an onsite gym to work out when needed. The people there are nice for the most part and easy to talk to.

Cons

Now they are hiring customer service reps instead of Technical Support Specialists/Technicians for service desk duties so they can drop the pay grade. This is a great disservice to customers. The majority of people in my dept. have not gotten raises in many years, 5 years for me. There is not much advancement as of the past several years. HR can overstep their bounds.

The company needs to go back to the way it was run 3-4 years ago with the addition of pay raises for everyone.

Take it for face value whatever they say.

I have been working at CompuCom

Pros

Originally had unlimited overtime, people were friendly and wanted you to succeed. Great way to get a lot of certifications at no cost to you.

Cons

Backstabbing supervisors, no raises, lies about everything.

Be straight forward, don;t lie to people

Who is writing the good reviews - must be offshore folks.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at CompuCom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good training ground. Get your training and get out.

Cons

They stopped giving raises to employees 4 years ago. Building A gets them but all building B can expect is 2% if you are lucky. However; they continue to say they are making a good profit. Seems to be on the backs of the employees.
    You have one choice for insurance and the penalties are high for failed biometrics that MOST employees fail. You end up paying more in penalties then for the insurance.
    Building B is dirty and everyone has a cough from the AC. There are also the bugs.
    They do not give you enough tools to do your job and the ones you do have fail all the time.
    They are Outsourcing everything and I mean everything.
    A lot of the people they now hire have no experience and the regulars end up having to train them over and over.
    Much of the management is not qualified to be managers. How did they get there. Same old thing. Some of them have absolutely no technical experience.
    Work schedule can kill you. Some folks work 2 on and 2 off and then 4 on and 4 off. Sound easy? Wears you down and adds fat.

Stop ruining the company.

Good access to clients but really just a number

I have been working at CompuCom

Pros

Great access to a multitude of clients within the Seattle area. Recruiters are nice and helpful.

Cons

You really become just another number when you work for a recruiting firm of this size. Its slightly unfortunate but part of how things are.

Huge Layoffs coming

Current Employee - Field Technician in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Field Technician in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CompuCom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coworkers seem willing to help you out, as we know we're all in this together

Cons

Upper management seems to blame the field technicians for their organizational and lack of planning failings. SLA (deadline times) to accomplish contractual tasks are very unrealistic. Company is majorly foundering since the loss of the Walmart Contract. One side of management pushes training, and the other pushes billable time. Training hours are not billable.... fall below 80 percent billable time and risk being cut, regardless of what tasks you were doing (mailing out parts, taking mandatory training, etc). Former CEO Tony Doye did NOT leave the company "to pursue other interests" he was forced out by the stock holders due to taking on the Walmart Point of Sale contract, on a wing and a prayer approach.

There are so many areas to improve that I don't have the time or the mindset to list them. I will say this: START HERE

Stop blaming the field technicians for missed deadlines and unrealistic expectations not being met. Start addressing the incompetent approaches being taken at the dispatch and critical team desks. Have those people actually read ticket notes before calling and harassing field techs. Stop having technicians get assignments in their respective Ques AFTER the deadlines to meet those assignments have already expired! Who comes up with those deadlines anyway? Why are technicians driving 2 plus hours to client locations one way?

Major Incident Manager

Current Employee - Major Incident Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Major Incident Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CompuCom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

None, oh plenty of overtime.

Cons

Entire company is very disorganized from the inside out. They try to show that they really care about their employees buy conducting what they call a shrimp bowl. But what employees need is job security, better health benefits that won't charge extra for having preexisting health issues. Also better pay, pay raises would also be nice and the constant outsourcing of jobs needs to stop.

Stop off shoring positions. Stop firing good qualified people and Cherish your employees by making them feel appreciated. Stop hiring unqualified people offering lower salaries. They are just giving the company a bad name and bad image. Offer better benefits and salary with annual salary increases.

Should be a great company to work for

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at CompuCom full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You get more latitude than most companies as the roles are not well defined. There are advantages for little to no supervision that you can stretch your knowledge.

Cons

CompuCom is showing signs of a cohesive direction but has not been implemented successfully. Pay has been frozen for four years and benefits have been reduced even as the company is profitable.

The need to define group and individual roles within each organization is critical to move forward successfully. There are great ideas for direction and reorganization at the 100,000 foot level but planning and implementation has been slow and not communicated well. Give the managers the resources and time to organize the teams and document the process for each group and interactions with other groups. Roles and responsibilities must be clearly defined and documented. And please publish a company org chart.

Working for a couple years now

I have been working at CompuCom

Pros

Paid Time Off, Industry certifications at no cost to you.

Cons

-Lack of Communication between departments. Nobody is ever on the same page.
    -No cost of living adjustments
    -No annual raises since I have been here
    -Medical benefits are a joke come 2015

To succeed in IT business you need to have good people, can't keep good people if you don't pay them. We already make less than the national average for our position and job duties. It has been my experience that when a job opening comes up that is not a lateral move they already have someone they want to promote. No matter what their experience or qualifications are.