www.compusystems.com

Clark Williams

Challenging, Fun

Current Employee - Programmer in Broadview, IL
    Current Employee - Programmer in Broadview, IL

I have been working at CompuSystems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work as a programmer. The projects I work on are large and require input and feedback from multiple departments. They are very challenging because there are a lot of moving parts to the software. There's a lot of functionality. That's the part I enjoy. I do work on maintenance as well. Not as often though. That part is challenging as well because I didn't write the code.

Cons

The cons are I really want to start working on all the new things that are coming. I'd prefer not to maintain the legacy platform but I know we'll all be focused on the new soon so it doesn't bother me much.

Get to the new stuff as quickly as possible. That's what the team wants to work on.

Customer Service Associate team lead

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate Team Lead in Broadview, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate Team Lead in Broadview, IL

I worked at CompuSystems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The location and work hours were convenient.

Cons

No room for advancement or growth.

Web Programmer

Former Employee - Junior Web Developer/Programmer in Broadview, IL
    Former Employee - Junior Web Developer/Programmer in Broadview, IL

I worked at CompuSystems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The job is close to home. Experience is there at times if you are willing to experiment a little beyond their set standard box.

Cons

Double the hours in overtime, work life balance sucks, pay is low, raises are non-existent, promotions are non-existent. Appreciation is hardly seen at this company. You are worked like a dog and treated worst then one.

Get a different job. Scheduling is not part an acquired skill set of yours. Go back to school and learn a little more in the technologies that your staff are using. Or try to get a little taste of what you are dishing to your staff and see if you would like it. You may actually find something to change.

This place does not make happy workers.

Former Employee - IOS Developer in Broadview, IL
    Former Employee - IOS Developer in Broadview, IL

I worked at CompuSystems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There really isn't anything positive I can say about this place.

Cons

Lots of office politics. Some VERY unprofessional behavior, including verbal abuse.

Greedy but stupid. You'd make even more money if you kept your employees happy. You don't necessarily have to pay them more, just give them better managers and treat them like people rather than possessions or game tokens for your use and disposal.

Fast

Current Employee - Customer Service in Broadview, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Broadview, IL

I have been working at CompuSystems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not a dull day, very busy and slow at times

Cons

when people don't come to work you have to do there work and your work too

Like it so far!

Current Employee - Event Services in Broadview, IL
    Current Employee - Event Services in Broadview, IL

I have been working at CompuSystems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers and management seems to care about the people.
    Casual environment.
    Work from home few days a week.
    Free weekly chair massages and yoga class.
    Also great health benefits.

Cons

Building is OLD, cubicles and offices are small, but there is a big move into a new building the end of this year.
    Customers can be unreasonably difficult.

Make sure training is complete and follow through with new hires to be sure they are up to speed. Makes everyone's job easier if training is solid.

Fast-paced environment with little room to advance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broadview, IL

I worked at CompuSystems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exceptional co-workers, easy access from many major roads, parking is widely available. Casual jean dress code for those who like to be comfortable. 15min massage sessions once a month were given at my time there. Some fitness club and yoga. Some after work activities initiated by employees like meeting up after work for a drink or ball play.

Cons

The pros are pretty much your co-workers that will help you or offer you a shoulder to cry. There is one review here that made me laugh so hard because this person had the full CSI experience “A sinking ship, don't even bother.” Fully illustrates the life of a programmer or developer and two other reviews were very informative “Don't waste your time and skills here. CSI is not a place for career growth.” And “CSI needs to get it together”

CONS
    Consistent lay offs
    Lose a client, lose staff roller coaster (someday commented this and I couldn’t agree more).
    Little or No training.
    Revolving Door (here today and gone tomorrow) sometimes you don’t even get a chance to meet that person assigned to your team!
    Most positions required to put in long hours, work weekends and be on call.

Everybody was in a salary freeze for 3 years. If you get a raise (that if you get one), prepare for a 1% or 1.5% (and it will never match the cost of living) be happy with that or no raises ever. They can start another salary freeze at any time so don’t push it.

Negative environment, most people there hate it, frustration and stress is on the roof! At least everybody has something in common right?

I can't think of any pros that were beneficial to me in a personal or professional way. As many here mentioned, technology is outdated, custom made and the experience you gain here can’t be applied in other companies.

I am seeing positive 4 and 5 star reviews of the company here and that makes me think that management is desperately trying to increase their ratings by writing some reviews themselves or were made by new employees within their first months or year that have not yet experienced the big waves that will soon hit them.

People would continually leave and they would not be replaced, some are replaced by new graduates that would instantly quit once they had a feeling for the departments, the stress and the long hours.

No real advancement opportunities, I have seen people in the same position for many years. When they promote people, they usually play favoritism. They promote who they like and not who is best prepared for the position. This is why they lose many talented people.

Most promotions are just lateral moves, you get a new title and you are given more responsibilities. The only increase you get is an increase in your workload. Forget about that raise/incentive for your new position “you should be happy with your fancy title!” I think of many examples of people who had these “promotions” but I rather don’t say anything and maintain these examples anonymous for their own good.

When people leave, they don’t fill the position. They give you all of the responsibilities with no financial incentive. Call this "an opportunity to prove yourself". No, even if you managed to do it, don’t even think they will give you a promotion. You just proved you can take more work and that's what they will give you, more work.

I have a lot of ESM friends. Some have quit and some are still in the company. My advice to you is to think it twice because if you have kids, this position may not be for you. This position requires working after hours and some weekends if you are in a project or onsite and the position requires a good amount of travel. Most ESM’s are either recently graduated young girls or single women. Everything is all good until they marry or decide to have kids and that’s when problems start, when you want to spend more time with your kid or significant other and that’s not possible because of your job. This is why many quit or don’t come back from maternity leave. The veterans ESM’s who have been with the company for so long either have grown up kids or are working part-time, a privilege for a very few. If you are looking for a work-life balance position, this is probably not for you.

Don't' be greedy with raises. Stop the lie of the bad economy to freeze salaries, nobody believes that lie anymore. Listen to your employees, they are the base of your success. Hire more people and distribute responsibilities.

Compusystems is not sure where they want to be in the future.

I worked at CompuSystems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They allow for Work life balance

Cons

Consistent lay offs whole I was employed there.

Need to make investments to get up to proper technology and software to keep up with the competition or the organization will not make it.

A sinking ship, don't even bother.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broadview, IL

I worked at CompuSystems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Compusystems has some good people working for it. Most people I met there are good-natured and intelligent. They have some... interesting ideas here for employee wellness like weekly yoga classes, Weight Watchers meetings, a walking club (or something along those lines) etc.

Cons

I mentioned above that the employees are generally easy-going and approachable. The problem is none of these good folks are in significant leadership positions. Company leadership is severely lacking. While I was working there, I could count the number of times I'd seen my manager in any given month on one finger, at most. Anyone above him? Forget it, I wouldn't know who they were if they slapped me in the face. The way I see it, this company has two key problems:

1. Severely outdated, frustrating, and bizarre standards for development combined with insane, horribly fragile and inefficient business processes
    2. All these inefficiencies and frustrations lead to an enormous backlog of work that never goes away because they don't have enough people to cover everything, and the company couldn't care less about retaining the employees they do have.

People are REALLY stressed out as a result in many departments. The amount of profanity I heard people using there is kind of crazy, and there seems to be some serious pent-up hostility between many departments here. It's hard to know whether upper management doesn't know about this, or if they do and they just don't CARE. Outside of the token employee wellness gestures above, I often got the sense the Compusystems just doesn't care about its employees, or worse yet, actively hates them. I had this impression from the very first day when I saw the office I'd be working in, which would have looked old and dismal over 30 years ago. Communication at lower levels can be pretty lousy, too. I remember one stretch of about two weeks when I sat idle with no idea what I was supposed to work on until I told another developer about it, who just happened to have some idea of what was going on. They've been around for over 30 years, but there's no drive to do things the RIGHT way here. Apparently they've built their success on three decades of following awful or nonexistent practices and praying every day that they don't come crashing to the ground.

In 2012, they froze raises for EVERYBODY because they decided to hire some "consultants" for an unspecified large sum of money. For a while, I thought they had taken the money and run off laughing to the bank. However, in October of that year, they announced a whole bunch of changes, including a ton of layoffs. If it sounds like something that fell right out of Office Space, on some level, that's what it was. Turnover is sky high in all departments except management. I saw people last for less than six months and people who had been with the company for over a decade leaving, voluntarily or involuntarily, in my short time there. The whole company kind of seems to be falling apart, both figuratively and even literally. The roof leaks and water soaks through to the ceiling panels on the 2nd floor when it rains heavily. Sometime last year, two panels fell out of the ceiling and better yet, the company doesn't rent out that particular area, so who knows when they'll be fixed, if ever? It's one of the great mysteries of the universe how this company makes money, in my opinion. The only reasonable theory I have for why they're still in business at all is that there's little or no significant competition on the services they provide. In any other industry, more efficient, innovative competitors would boot Compusystems out of the market so fast they wouldn't know what hit them. Stay away!

I wouldn't want to really say anything to this company's senior management because I know that, at best, they wouldn't care about what I said. At worst, they'd react in a very hostile manner. They need to replace everyone in senior management with people who actually care about, listen to, and TRUST their employees.

I worked in IT at CompuSystems for about 5 years

I worked at CompuSystems full-time

Pros

Great people. Interesting industry. I learned a lot while working there. Open door policy with easy access to management.

Cons

Lose a client, lose staff roller coster. There never seemed to be any long term strategic goals. Management decisions seemed arbitrary.

Create some company values to guide the overall strategy of the company and give some focus to guide your employees

CompuSystems Photos