Compugen (Canada)

Updated August 14, 2014
3.1

Harry Zarek

Senior Storage Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Storage Consultant  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Storage Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Compugen (Canada) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Paid steady, large office with good surrounding.

Cons

New things to learn, ruling a large projects. Building implementation and solutions from begining to the end.

Very week project management.

Accounts Payable Clerk

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk  in  Markham City, IL
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Markham City, IL

I worked at Compugen (Canada) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice office setting, good co workers, latest technology, easy commute, nice benefits

Cons

Bad Management, watched over the shoulder, controlling, no advancement, bad holidays

Listen, listen, listen!

More focused on accounts than employee advancement.

Former Employee - Field Sservice Technician  in  Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Field Sservice Technician in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)

I worked at Compugen (Canada) full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefit plan for medical and dental. Endorsement of booking vacation days. New employees start with eleven vacation days and get one additional vacation day each year up to twenty.

Cons

Too many accounts being taken in without any notification to technicians. Lack of hands-on training for new hardware to be serviced. Inadequate or no raises. No pension plan. Very little advancement for technicians. Field staff are unable to attend any special events that are held in office. Final decisions made from upper management before implementation is done.

Numbers alone don't tell the whole story of work being done. Parts and the customer are also a factor and not the tech alone.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company but not much room for advancement and new management is unrealistic with changes they are implementing.

I worked at Compugen (Canada) full-time

Pros

I enjoyed working here. The team I worked with were easy to get along with and everyone tried to help each other when needed. If I didn't know something all I had to do was instant message the team and someone would provide the answer or point me in the right direction.

Cons

Some of the problems I faced while at Compugen were that their knowledge base was not always up to date or was missing key information. Also the pay was low and there was not much opportunity to advance.

The management needs to rethink their plans for the Service Desk. They believe that all the analysts should be able to take calls from any client that they support and be an expert in each of those clients networks. It is impossible to be an expert in every ones networks especially when there are more than 40 different accounts.

New management doesn't care for the employees

Current Employee - Service Desk Agent  in  Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Service Desk Agent in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Compugen (Canada) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Since the late 80's when Compugen's owner, Harry Zarek asked his MBA classmates to join the company, Compugen was a friendly place to work. This changed at the end of 2013.

Cons

New management that started in November 2013 convinced Zarek to be more focus on business than on people. The new Director brought his team, an Ops Manager that is his friend, and a five month unemployed Service Desk manager. They all wanted to bring their team and laid off 11 of my workmates on the same day!!! I know that there will not be any possibility of promotions if you are not a previous friend of the management. The environment as off July 2014 is hostile and unfriendly. Management changes shifts and assignments constantly. Terror and threats of further laid offs are heard everyday. Overtime is supervised by the Director himself. Work from home has been completely abolished. Salaries are lower than market. We all are looking for another place to work. One star is too much for this company.

Mr. Zarek, you and your company has had steady growth even during the hard times experienced by the industry 4 to 5 years ago. You don't need more money as you will not take it with you on your last day. Focus on people and don't let sweet talkers to be only materialist.

Interesting company to work for.

I have been working at Compugen (Canada)

Pros

Definitely the people are great to work with.

Cons

Depends on what you are looking for in your career.

Listen & cherish the existing people.

Silos working independently for shared resources with dinosaurs at the helm.

I worked at Compugen (Canada) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule, promotions for those who wait long enough or know a "higher up" personally, nice building, cafeteria available.

Cons

Pay is lower than industry average, minimal internal growth opportunities, management is set in their ways, everyone is for themselves, cafeteria food is sub-par (salty and can make you sick on some days)

Reach out to your staff and start caring about their future and development. Your business is only as successful as your employees.

On balance a reliable employer but in other respects needs improvement

Current Employee - Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Compugen (Canada) full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Has provided various technical challenges over the years. Has had a mix of excellent staff who tend to come and go. Currently provides flexible place of work and some time flexibility.

Cons

Few incentives to stay (no pension of any description; no RRSP co-pay). Permits some accumulation of holidays up to a max of two weeks (after ten years) beyond the statutory minimum. Management is often in conflict with each other; silos are a theme, so it is hard to accomplish things across departments. Direction from the top is often only given nominal attention. Incentives often create conflict between personal financial objectives and corporate long-term objectives. Employee engagement seems to be low and that level leads to difficulties recruiting any but entry-level people.

Consider long-term retention strategies such as pension or RRSP co-pay; incremental benefits with additional time served (beyond the one-day-per-year of additional vacation). Consider extensive management training for middle-level and upper level managers. Aim to hire based on competence for the specific role. There is a renegade culture wrt staff retention that must be damaging to the bottom line and long-term prospects for prosperity.

Great learning experience with opportunity to move up.

Current Employee - Deskside Support Analyst  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Deskside Support Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Compugen (Canada) part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The workers are very friendly and always willing to help. Team work is emphasized to get the job done.There is access to a wide range of technology learning opportunities. The company will pay for certifications.

Cons

I've had my experience with age discrimination. Being a younger member of the team, I feel as if my points are invalid at times, when they are actually legitimate. I feel labeled as having a lack of experience, which is measured in the same standard of years for everyone, but every person is unique and gain experience at different rates.

Further develop the hiring process with HR.

Good place to work.

Current Employee - Client Support Analyst  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Client Support Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Compugen (Canada) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good environment to learn more and build skills that are needed for other positions.

Cons

Lack of pay structure and understanding of how continuing eduction benefits you as an employee inside the company.

Worked for Compugen (Canada)? Contribute to the Community!