Computacenter

Updated December 7, 2014
2.8

Computacenter CEO Mike Norris
Mike Norris

Pros
  • Work Life balance is not just a word, most of the time, you get overtime "back" (in 4 reviews)

• Good people, fast changing and paced environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Moving internally need better pay rises (in 7 reviews)

• The nature of my role is that sometimes work/life balance can be "imbalance" (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Company offering high tech future proof solutions to customers, yet internally still lives very much in the past!

I worked at Computacenter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, fast changing and paced environment. Opportunity for growth, however it's very much as a result of firefighting and being moved around, rather than through applied development.

Good benefits such as health Insurance and Ticket Restaurant - Although it's only making up the lower salary.

Good work life balance if you're not a L1 call taker!

Cons

Ironically there is a big lack of IT knowledge, people are generally only recruited for language skills then performance reviewed against technical, and soft skills gained only from poor on boarding and training.

The Barcelona service center started purely for the languages that couldn't be easily recruited at the major Computacenter locations such as Hatfield.
    As such the services initially arrive at Barcelona with a very heavy focus on Language support, yet as contracts mature and CC makes more promises to the clients, when contract renewal time arrives, more and more technical projects arrive at CC Barcelona. It's often left to the analysts and team leaders to come up with technical solutions or work on projects that require skills above their current level.

Considering the amount of extra tasks most people perform, the salary is poor and looks like it hasn't been reviewed since the company first set up in Spain approx 10 years ago. It's not competitive and the company needs to get up to date. There are currently a large number of vacancies not filled, and looking around sites like this and seeing similar roles with better salaries, it's not surprising.

Health Insurance and Ticket Restaurant are nice to have, but CC seems to think that it's part of your "salary", many other companies in the region offer the both and still pay a higher salary. It's a not a replacement.
    To me this mentality is from 10 years ago, when it wasn't perhaps so common, however today it's expected from a company of this size.

At an operational level, it's pretty embarrassing to be Europe's leading IT support company, when almost all of our clients are using newer equipment and operating systems than we are internally! As the "experts" I really feel we should be leading by example rather than lagging behind.

Take a look at the service model, after 10 years of accounts coming, going and growing, there is a need for more technical resources and training. The recruitment policy needs to reflect this, we cannot continue to ask for language skills alone.
    Same applies to the salary scale, look around at other companies and see how competitive you really are. It's time to review the 10 year old scale you have, the cost of living has shot up here in 10 years.

And tell Mr Norris to stop with the ridiculous emails, I don't care where he last went to his Villa and how much his lunch and hotel cost the company,

Breaking rocks in the IT Gulag

I worked at Computacenter

Pros

A gristle pit of grunt work backed up by the most horrific specimins of middle management know to mankind. Free coffee though

Cons

Not shooting yourself on monday morning.

Good starting point for a career in IT. Not a good company to build a career.

Former Employee - Project
    Former Employee - Project

I worked at Computacenter full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job stability in difficult times. Some friendly staff & management. Good parking & facilities & a nice lake. Some training provided. Most people I know that have left are doing much better career wise, me included.

Cons

Very hard to get promoted on merit alone.
     Face fit culture & old boys mentality.
     Poor pay.
     Lazy middle management.
    Hard to get on training courses if your good at your job ( Quote from my manager " If i put you on that training course what's stopping you leaving for more pay ? I can't take that risk " ). Seen some staff in certain areas bullied & treated as outcasts by management.

Some of the best managers their are the ones that keep moving & learning ( most of these guys / girls have left for other companies). Promote on merit & not because their in the curry golf club or because you or another manager has slept or going out with them or they are a mate from way back. Their is some real talent not being recognised or being given a chance.
    Mike Norris ( CEO ) weekly mails were informative for my role but i was on a project when he bragged that he was in New York & him & his wife were going to spend a small fortune shopping that would help kick start Americas economy when people around me a month before got no or 1% pay rises & some struggling to make ends meet. No the best motivation mail !

Terrible company to work for

Former Employee - Anything They Felt Would Make Most Profit in South Gate, CA
    Former Employee - Anything They Felt Would Make Most Profit in South Gate, CA

I worked at Computacenter full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You get more money than being on the dole!

Cons

Managment dont care, career progression is about who you know and how much you kiss ass rather than ability, no pay rises, training to work in new roles terrrible.

Treat your staff as your assett rather than a hinderance to your profits, after how I was treated after 8 years of working hard for you if the comany went bust tommorow I would not lose any sleep!!!

Mushroom management at its worst

Current Employee - Deskside Engineer
    Current Employee - Deskside Engineer

I have been working at Computacenter

Pros

Workmates are great. Easy to have long lunches. Nobody capable of bothering you because no-one understands what you do anyway. In total, quite an easy, laid back life

Cons

Pay is poor and no chance of pay rises. Even when/if you are promoted to say, senior engineer or team leader it is all done in a "hush hush" way, you don't get an increase in your basic, but a "daily allowance" of around £2 a day when you are in work. Of course you don't get it whilst on holiday.
       There are so many levels of management that you will never know who your manager is - there's resource managers, local managers, district managers, area managers, regional managers, senior managers, T2 managers. They mostly sit in an office somewhere, doing something or other and never bother you. None of the managers is in the slightest bit technical which, for an IT company is anomalous.

Stop sending me the Managing Director's (Mike Norris) weekly newsletter! OK, I accept he is a great bloke with massive wealth, I just don't want to receive this self-agrandising pompous waste of bandwidth.

Not bad, had plenty of contracts with them

Current Employee - Senior Customer Engineer in Gloucester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Engineer in Gloucester, England (UK)

I have been working at Computacenter as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

if you are good in your job - they will keep requesting you

Cons

sometimes short notice to get to site

A throwback to the 80's, grab your Filofax let's sell some boxes !

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Computacenter full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

No benefits to speak of apart from the bare minimum. The only advantage was the office was close to home :) Each part of CC was like a separate company in itself so at least if you don't get on in one division chances are you might get along in another one.

Cons

CC is primarily a sales based organisation, very much at home with it's box shifting origins back in the 80's. Image over substance is the byword, buy yourself a nice shiny suit and get a neat corporate haircut if you want to get on here. By all means contribute ideas, but try not to do it too much or too loudly - remember in CC land the old way is always the best way. Internal systems are all over the place since the introduction of SAP as the corporate backbone, as a result day to day operations and management reporting rely on countless numbers of spreadsheets and manual intervention. Every division/dept is very much a separate entity, and there was very little cooperation and coordination between them. Poor use of technology both internally and for the customers, very little in the way of innovation. Budgets squeezed to within an inch of their lives, no money to look after the office space - working in the hotdesk areas was always a game of hunt the chair that isn't broken. Last but not least the annual review system 'eface' was a long drawn out and worthless process that delivered little more than multiple excuses for management to knock your ratings, and therefore your rise.

Experience proved that giving feedback to management was very much a pointless and sometimes detrimental activity. Smile, nod and agree is the best way to play it with you guys.

Non Existence Of Management

Current Employee - Unaware in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Unaware in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Computacenter as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Got 3 years work with a single employer from them

Cons

When I was let go by said employer, I was promised by ComputaCentre that I would be paid to the end of the week. Returned to employer to collect personal items (Bank Statements, Gym Clothes, Pictures, etc) and was later informed by ComputaCentre that due to returning, I would not be receiving my final pay in full – the employer did not seem to mind, security even gave me a guest pass so I could collect my items!

After a few times of contacting ComputaCentre, they said to me they knew they were in the wrong for reneging on their promise, but they were sitll not going to pay me.

Pay people what you promise. know your staff's job titles

Worst company on earth

Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Barcelona (Spain)
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Barcelona (Spain)

I worked at Computacenter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free coffee, and they give every tuesday an apple to every employee

Cons

2 years working there (hell), their systems/ management decision seem ruled by a five year old chimp. No one has idea of IT. Management didn't study in any management school. You' ll only a number, no empaty, everybody in my team has left in less than a year.

Study managent from this century, if your're able

Worked at Computacenter for 15 years, great company, lots of opportunity if you want to work hard and grow your career

I have been working at Computacenter full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities, great teams, career development

Cons

If you want to just turn up then its not for you

Computacenter Photos