Computacenter Reviews

93 reviews filtered by
2.9
Computacenter CEO Mike Norris
Mike Norris

Pros
  • Work Life balance is not just a word, most of the time, you get overtime "back" (in 4 reviews)

• Good people, fast changing and paced environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Moving internally need better pay rises (in 7 reviews)

• The nature of my role is that sometimes work/life balance can be "imbalance" (in 4 reviews)

Company offering high tech future proof solutions to customers, yet internally still lives very much in the past!

I worked at Computacenter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, fast changing and paced environment. Opportunity for growth, however it's very much as a result of firefighting and being moved around, rather than through applied development.

Good benefits such as health Insurance and Ticket Restaurant - Although it's only making up the lower salary.

Good work life balance if you're not a L1 call taker!

Cons

Ironically there is a big lack of IT knowledge, people are generally only recruited for language skills then performance reviewed against technical, and soft skills gained only from poor on boarding and training.

The Barcelona service center started purely for the languages that couldn't be easily recruited at the major Computacenter locations such as Hatfield.
    As such the services initially arrive at Barcelona with a very heavy focus on Language support, yet as contracts mature and CC makes more promises to the clients, when contract renewal time arrives, more and more technical projects arrive at CC Barcelona. It's often left to the analysts and team leaders to come up with technical solutions or work on projects that require skills above their current level.

Considering the amount of extra tasks most people perform, the salary is poor and looks like it hasn't been reviewed since the company first set up in Spain approx 10 years ago. It's not competitive and the company needs to get up to date. There are currently a large number of vacancies not filled, and looking around sites like this and seeing similar roles with better salaries, it's not surprising.

Health Insurance and Ticket Restaurant are nice to have, but CC seems to think that it's part of your "salary", many other companies in the region offer the both and still pay a higher salary. It's a not a replacement.
    To me this mentality is from 10 years ago, when it wasn't perhaps so common, however today it's expected from a company of this size.

At an operational level, it's pretty embarrassing to be Europe's leading IT support company, when almost all of our clients are using newer equipment and operating systems than we are internally! As the "experts" I really feel we should be leading by example rather than lagging behind.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the service model, after 10 years of accounts coming, going and growing, there is a need for more technical resources and training. The recruitment policy needs to reflect this, we cannot continue to ask for language skills alone.
    Same applies to the salary scale, look around at other companies and see how competitive you really are. It's time to review the 10 year old scale you have, the cost of living has shot up here in 10 years.

And tell Mr Norris to stop with the ridiculous emails, I don't care where he last went to his Villa and how much his lunch and hotel cost the company,

Breaking rocks in the IT Gulag

I worked at Computacenter

Pros

A gristle pit of grunt work backed up by the most horrific specimins of middle management know to mankind. Free coffee though

Cons

Not shooting yourself on monday morning.

Good starting point for a career in IT. Not a good company to build a career.

Former Employee - Project
    Former Employee - Project

I worked at Computacenter full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job stability in difficult times. Some friendly staff & management. Good parking & facilities & a nice lake. Some training provided. Most people I know that have left are doing much better career wise, me included.

Cons

Very hard to get promoted on merit alone.
     Face fit culture & old boys mentality.
     Poor pay.
     Lazy middle management.
    Hard to get on training courses if your good at your job ( Quote from my manager " If i put you on that training course what's stopping you leaving for more pay ? I can't take that risk " ). Seen some staff in certain areas bullied & treated as outcasts by management.

Advice to Management

Some of the best managers their are the ones that keep moving & learning ( most of these guys / girls have left for other companies). Promote on merit & not because their in the curry golf club or because you or another manager has slept or going out with them or they are a mate from way back. Their is some real talent not being recognised or being given a chance.
    Mike Norris ( CEO ) weekly mails were informative for my role but i was on a project when he bragged that he was in New York & him & his wife were going to spend a small fortune shopping that would help kick start Americas economy when people around me a month before got no or 1% pay rises & some struggling to make ends meet. No the best motivation mail !

Terrible company to work for

Former Employee - Anything They Felt Would Make Most Profit in South Gate, CA
    Former Employee - Anything They Felt Would Make Most Profit in South Gate, CA

I worked at Computacenter full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You get more money than being on the dole!

Cons

Managment dont care, career progression is about who you know and how much you kiss ass rather than ability, no pay rises, training to work in new roles terrrible.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff as your assett rather than a hinderance to your profits, after how I was treated after 8 years of working hard for you if the comany went bust tommorow I would not lose any sleep!!!

6. Strong focussed company.

I have been working at Computacenter full-time

Pros

Outcome and merit based ethos means if you have the talent and motivation you will get the rewards. Strong leadership with clear direction on what to focus on and crucially what not to do.

Cons

As with all large companies, processes can get in the way sometimes and it can feel a little like you are a cog in the machine. Sales teams are seen as the key which can demotivate delivery teams.

7. A Great Company to Work For

I worked at Computacenter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People I worked with were like minded and wanted to do a good job. Leadership had a strategy and stuck to it, resulting in growth and the opportunities that came with it

Cons

Benefits were at the bottom end of market, work life balance was seriously tested, still a legacy "old boys" network

8. Amazing place to work

I have been working at Computacenter

Pros

flexible, great environment to work in

Cons

no comments at the moment

9. it is an ordinary company. In the past the salaries and benefits were ok but then getting bit worse

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Barcelona (Spain)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at Computacenter

Pros

they pay regularly and you get ticket restaurant

Cons

it is hard to grow from your position as there aren't a lot above your level, mainly level 1

Advice to Management

managment is ok but they must follow directions from upper level managment

Stressful job

Former Employee - Level I Analyst in Barcelona (Spain)
    Former Employee - Level I Analyst in Barcelona (Spain)

I worked at Computacenter full-time (less than a year)

Pros

International environment and nice users.

Cons

If you happen to work at the Service Desk in Barcelona on a temporary contract you should bear in mind that some team leaders will tell you that as long as your stats are good, your contract would get extended. In reality, this just a way to manipulate you and make you work harder. No effort is made to try to retain existing staff. Instead, the focus is on creating unnecessary pressure by reminding you about stats on a daily basis or sending an email to the whole team if you have been a minute late after your break.

Also, it is worth mentioning that in Spain the tax band that you are put on depends on how long you have been living in the country for in case you are a foreigner. However, HR don't apply this tax bad consistently which means that two employees, doing the same job, having lived in the country for the same period of time, might pay a different amount of tax. So I would advise new joiners to take this into account when it comes to signing your contract. Bear in mind that they might tell you that this tax band would change in the following tax year, but then they might say the law had changed...

Worst job I have ever had. I wasted 18 months of my life at this terrible organisation.

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Computacenter

Pros

They send you on the odd training course.

Cons

Long hours - Get ready to work in Glasgow if you live in London expect to live in a hotel and put weight on as you constantly order a burger from room service. Do your hours then try not to crash your car as you are burnt out on the way home. The car scheme is a con. Trust me they will take your last months wages from you in expenses. No chance of career progression. People will steal your ideas and the take home is poor.

Advice to Management

Stop writing reviews on this site that are aimed to boost your rating. You are by far the worst company in the UK to work for. Oh and stop dropping your staff in the deep end as you fail to deliver yet more promises to your customers. If you can't deliver don't sell it.

Computacenter Photos