Computacenter Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

2.8

Computacenter CEO Mike Norris
Mike Norris

Pros
  • Work Life balance is not just a word, most of the time, you get overtime "back" (in 3 reviews)

• Reasonable office environment, canteen, parking etc (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Moving internally need better pay rises (in 7 reviews)

• The nature of my role is that sometimes work/life balance can be "imbalance" (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Company offering high tech future proof solutions to customers, yet internally still lives very much in the past!

I worked at Computacenter full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people, fast changing and paced environment. Opportunity for growth, however it's very much as a result of firefighting and being moved around, rather than through applied development.

Good benefits such as health Insurance and Ticket Restaurant - Although it's only making up the lower salary.

Good work life balance if you're not a L1 call taker!

Cons

Ironically there is a big lack of IT knowledge, people are generally only recruited for language skills then performance reviewed against technical, and soft skills gained only from poor on boarding and training.

The Barcelona service center started purely for the languages that couldn't be easily recruited at the major Computacenter locations such as Hatfield.
    As such the services initially arrive at Barcelona with a very heavy focus on Language support, yet as contracts mature and CC makes more promises to the clients, when contract renewal time arrives, more and more technical projects arrive at CC Barcelona. It's often left to the analysts and team leaders to come up with technical solutions or work on projects that require skills above their current level.

Considering the amount of extra tasks most people perform, the salary is poor and looks like it hasn't been reviewed since the company first set up in Spain approx 10 years ago. It's not competitive and the company needs to get up to date. There are currently a large number of vacancies not filled, and looking around sites like this and seeing similar roles with better salaries, it's not surprising.

Health Insurance and Ticket Restaurant are nice to have, but CC seems to think that it's part of your "salary", many other companies in the region offer the both and still pay a higher salary. It's a not a replacement.
    To me this mentality is from 10 years ago, when it wasn't perhaps so common, however today it's expected from a company of this size.

At an operational level, it's pretty embarrassing to be Europe's leading IT support company, when almost all of our clients are using newer equipment and operating systems than we are internally! As the "experts" I really feel we should be leading by example rather than lagging behind.

Take a look at the service model, after 10 years of accounts coming, going and growing, there is a need for more technical resources and training. The recruitment policy needs to reflect this, we cannot continue to ask for language skills alone.
    Same applies to the salary scale, look around at other companies and see how competitive you really are. It's time to review the 10 year old scale you have, the cost of living has shot up here in 10 years.

And tell Mr Norris to stop with the ridiculous emails, I don't care where he last went to his Villa and how much his lunch and hotel cost the company,

Good starting point for a career in IT. Not a good company to build a career.

Former Employee - Project
    Former Employee - Project

I worked at Computacenter full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Job stability in difficult times. Some friendly staff & management. Good parking & facilities & a nice lake. Some training provided. Most people I know that have left are doing much better career wise, me included.

Cons

Very hard to get promoted on merit alone.
     Face fit culture & old boys mentality.
     Poor pay.
     Lazy middle management.
    Hard to get on training courses if your good at your job ( Quote from my manager " If i put you on that training course what's stopping you leaving for more pay ? I can't take that risk " ). Seen some staff in certain areas bullied & treated as outcasts by management.

Some of the best managers their are the ones that keep moving & learning ( most of these guys / girls have left for other companies). Promote on merit & not because their in the curry golf club or because you or another manager has slept or going out with them or they are a mate from way back. Their is some real talent not being recognised or being given a chance.
    Mike Norris ( CEO ) weekly mails were informative for my role but i was on a project when he bragged that he was in New York & him & his wife were going to spend a small fortune shopping that would help kick start Americas economy when people around me a month before got no or 1% pay rises & some struggling to make ends meet. No the best motivation mail !

Terrible company to work for

Former Employee - Anything They Felt Would Make Most Profit  in  South Gate, CA
    Former Employee - Anything They Felt Would Make Most Profit in South Gate, CA

I worked at Computacenter full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You get more money than being on the dole!

Cons

Managment dont care, career progression is about who you know and how much you kiss ass rather than ability, no pay rises, training to work in new roles terrrible.

Treat your staff as your assett rather than a hinderance to your profits, after how I was treated after 8 years of working hard for you if the comany went bust tommorow I would not lose any sleep!!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the worst, not the best

Current Employee - First Line Analyst  in  Barcelona (Spain)
    Current Employee - First Line Analyst in Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at Computacenter full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large company movement and growth possible if desired, and prepared to do tedious tiering assessments.

Cons

Salary leaves a lot to be desired, and is the reason for such a high turnover, even though I assume service to the customer is for the most part satisfactory, if the salaries were higher a lot more people would be able to afford to stay and that knowledge and experience would provide a better service to customers i.e. better "SLA's", which would in turn boost reputation and the amount the company could charge for its services.
    As regards people complaining about the C.E.O's "this week" if it annoys you don't read it, its a corporation, the C.E.O is expected to do some of this guff, and probably doesn't want to write it as much as you couldn't be arsed reading it

Streamline process for growth, and training and development could be more accessible, in the UK the company receives tax breaks for training hours, some of the money saved could be spent in the Spanish branch for employee training which would improve employees opinions of the company and improve the company's service to the customer. Also as regards team leaders, I have heard some horror stories but for the ones who are approachable and work hard keep up the good work there are obviously constraints placed upon you by the parent UK company, so if they won't supply enough money for more staff they can't complain if SLA's are not at the required standard

Hard work but good bonuses

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Computacenter full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Large company with a strong brand, service offering and happy customers. The pay plan for account managers is tough - new business is extremely tough however for major AM's there is excellent money to be made

Cons

Poor company culture, very corporate and both the company and management suffer from overinflated ego's as well as a slightly outdated approach to business and social culture.

Big and plenty of opportunity to move around and learn new areas. Salaries not great.

Current Employee - Project Coordinator  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Computacenter full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Big and plenty of opportunity to move around and learn new areas

Cons

Salaries not great. Hard to get promoted internally.

Customer Service Sanofi Account

Current Employee - IT Analyst  in  Barcelona (Spain)
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at Computacenter full-time for less than a year

Pros

Ideally located next to the beach, nice benefits package,

Cons

Environment messy, space between each desk is extra limited, most training are out of the scope that your position fulfilled, feed back provided by employees is not followed up, access extra limited to solve level 1 issues

Provide all access in time in view of being more efficient and solve level 1 issues instead of escalating to senior analyst, provide training oriented on the scope of the position.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Sn Systems Analyst  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sn Systems Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Computacenter full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Wonderful place to work and learn new skills!

Cons

None whatsoever, working there has been a really good experience for me and for my career development.

They are the most professional and most intelligent people i have met, driven, determined and very , very , skilled.

Hahahahaha funny CEO they have

Former Employee - A Full Time "a S "  in  Barcelona (Spain)
    Former Employee - A Full Time "a S " in Barcelona (Spain)

I worked at Computacenter full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The upmost positive reason is to try to avoid "needing" (I do understand that since Spain is economically on its butt) to work here. Lousy lies all aound since I have no clue of anyone ever gained an interesting bonus as stated in da CEO`s claim here on Glassdoor. There are simply no bonusses unless you do "some kind of homework" (tiering) or if you s.a. (I really cannot write it completely, but use your imagination - the a stands for ........ right under your back
     ... the "s" is what you do on a tasty ice-cream)
    . As some of the comments already mention the wages are "far behind" ... and the worst part of this is that it is Company policy. They came to BCN because wages are low, but nevertheless they ask a lot from you and you are under a full time control. (Smart) People disappear and leave the company, and there is no back-up, they are hardly substituted. .... sinking ship ?

Cons

The upmost challenge to work here is to try to get outta here as soon as possible, even the "team managers" (woooaaaw) and the "delivery managers" (even 'woooaaaw-er') tell you that, because they, with all the responsabilities they are given, think that their wage is far too miserable, what happens they usually do more of the a.s.. and have an ok life, so .... why bother.

Just drop it, and try harder

Worst choice of my life working for Computacenter.

Current Employee - Second Line Support Analyst  in  Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Second Line Support Analyst in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I have been working at Computacenter full-time for less than a year

Pros

They pay a wage each month and pays the bills... Not much else at all.

Cons

The biggest challenge is keeping hold of your job.... You are heavily scrutinised for following processes, your behaviours and performance etc. Seem to be very keen on disciplinary action which is not always the best option and in most cases, not deserved. Promotions and training despite the promises are non-existent, I would go with the philosophy that if your face fits - you will go places. As for the CEO and his weekly updates, most employees do not care if he is on his sun lounger writing an edition of "This Week" or that he has been somewhere plush or exotic, it is totally demoralising.

Need to desperately get a grip of themselves, look in the mirror and realise that we live in the 21st Century. Start by treating employees well enough so that they do not wish to leave rather than suck out every last drop of morale they may have!

Worked for Computacenter? Contribute to the Community!