Computacenter

Computacenter Reviews

Updated Mar 24, 2014

Computacenter CEO Mike Norris

Mike Norris

Pros:
  • "Work Life balance is not just a word, most of the time, you get overtime "back""
    in 3 reviews
  • "Reasonable office environment, canteen, parking etc"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "s level of pay is below industry par and why very few people get annual pay rises"
    in 6 reviews
  • "The nature of my role is that sometimes work/life balance can be "imbalance""
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

New Starter Experience at Computacenter

I have been working at Computacenter

ProsThe job is in line with my career aspirations
Working with a leading player in the IT Services space within Europe
Recognised brand in the market
Excellent team

ConsConsider working from home policy

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage team to consider enhancing their careers.

Terrible company to work for

Anything They Felt Would Make Most Profit (Former Employee)
South Gate, CA

I worked at Computacenter full-time for more than 8 years

ProsYou get more money than being on the dole!

ConsManagment dont care, career progression is about who you know and how much you kiss ass rather than ability, no pay rises, training to work in new roles terrrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your staff as your assett rather than a hinderance to your profits, after how I was treated after 8 years of working hard for you if the comany went bust tommorow I would not lose any sleep!!!

From a box shifter to a Service Company in 15 years

Principal Consultant (Current Employee)
Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Computacenter full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe constant change in technologies means that a Consultant can never be still. There's a need to be not one, but two-steps ahead of the customer's best guess and usually one of their employees who's using the opportunity to advance their career too.

The Consultancy division has improved drastically since I moved into it in 2002. We have radically overhauled and improved the internal processes and standards to a point where I'm proud of where and what we start from. I've seen design documents from competitors that have made me chuckle at their failings, and CC's are close to the quality that I see from the primary players/vendors.

Travel is expected and if you like being away from home, then you get to see a lot of Holiday Inns. Oh wait... wrong category. Breakfast, lunch and dinner can be claimed over a certain milage from your home.

If you want to progress your career and go about it the right way (the CC way) then the management that I've found in the past 4 years will move heaven and earth to help you plan and execute the strategy.

With strong leadership, CC has weathered the worst downturn in it's history and expanded to France, Germany, BeneLux, South Africa, Malaysia, Hungary and other territories and become a major global player. Consider that 12 years ago we were shifting tin in boxes out of warehouses scattered around North London, I see that as a major Pro. and have faith in the current Exec.

ConsThe work/life balance for Consultancy is pretty rotten. You're EXPECTED to do the travel, and the administration of timesheets, expenses and milage, pretty much on your own time, but that will change soon, we're told.
We explicitly asked for the work/life balance to be reviewed and basically nothing changed. Oh, except that they implemented an external service where you could discuss your personal issues in confidence with a consultant.

The travel policy is pretty restrictive and you'll see a lot of their "approved list" of hotels.

In 2014 they are still handing out Nokia brickphones without a data plan despite a year ago giving indications that it would change. Embarrassing.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse the good work from the past years to progress CC to the next level of engagement. Become Trusted Advisors rather than alternative options.

Very friendly, positive atmosphere in a forward thinking and challenging company

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Computacenter full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people have all been fantastic, all so friendly and happy to help. There is a real family feel here and everyone I speak to enjoys their job and enjoys working for the company.

The major thing that I take away from the company is that you will get out of it what you are willing to put in. If you are lazy and disinterested, you won't make the most of the culture and the intrinsic benefits that can be achieved. By going into the day with a positive frame of mind and a willingness to learn and understand, take new things on and really embrace what is going on here; you will get so much out of it.

From what I have seen, the company are incredibly sensitive to personal issues and very understanding and that empathy I have found runs through the employees. I feel comfortable in their company and able to talk to them about personal issues that have affected me and their compassion and understanding has for me personally, been very uplifting.

The rewards seem fair in my opinion. I have already had career plans laid in front of me showing how I can progress and it's very motivating to know that the company would be willing to take such significant investment in my development.

ConsSome refurbishment of the offices wouldn't go amiss. The lack of colour in them can be a tad dreary. Some positive motivational posters on walls would be good to really emphasize the feel good factor that I feel a lot of people have here already and is important to keep. Promote happiness!

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe some face to face meet and greets from the senior management team with new starters as opposed to the online modules would be good but the benefit of the online course is not lost on me.

thoroughly enjoy my role

Principal Consultant (Current Employee)
Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Computacenter full-time for less than a year

ProsI go to work every day knowing that I have the backing of an awesome team and a fantastic resource manager and technical leader. I enjoy every day at CC and it's been an absolute pleasure to work here.

ConsInduction has a few bumps to sort out but. Still has a way to go for sales people to understand their roles and responsibilities.

Fair but only in some jobs....

Team Leader (Former Employee)
Nuremberg (Germany)

I worked at Computacenter full-time for less than a year

Pros- Good, established leadership model and fixed job Codes.
- Mostly fair payment
- Work Life balance is not just a word, most of the time, you get overtime "back"

Cons- Hard to make career for "normal" employees, such as regular technicians
- Sometimes, unrealistic low payment, combined with to much responsibility (a junior tec, that shell coordinate a rollout for just 24k a year???)

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's right, that there are several reasons, to be motivated in every job. But at CC, most of those points (except Money) are already great!
Don't refuse to pay people, what they earn!

Excellent company to work for

IT Service Manager (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Computacenter full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you have initiative and are willing to go that bit further, you will be recognised for it. Excellent employee recognition programme, good opportunities to progress within the company.

ConsBenefits package could be better, need to think of ways of bringing the company together a bit more, employees out on customer sites tend to feel left out and often go native.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on with the employee recognition, encourage movement around the company.

When I am lying on my deathbed, the one major regret I will have about my life will be having worked at Computacenter

Deskside Support Representative (Former Employee)
Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Computacenter full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere's nobody watching over you and you pretty much have free rein to come and go as you please, if you are so inclined. Generally, the techies are the salt of the earth, battling daily in vain against dogma and obstruction

ConsThere is no backup, no technical support, no clear lines of escalation. Basically if you have a technical problem you're on your own, and although they claim to have 55% of the UK Windows installations they don't have an account with Microsoft.
  In a multi-vendor environment, CC takes on all the rubbish that other vendors can't or won't handle. They give this service away free, thinking it will gain them customer respect. Don't be surprised if you end up as a part-time van driver when you thought you were an IT specialist.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the Managing Director.....put a lid on your weekly newsletter/.You may think it sounds impressive but it only serves to annoy the workforce and take up bandwidth. To the resource managers....take a course in interpersonal skills and people management, as you all seem to be vindictive, intransigent ignoramii. To the Service Delivery Managers....try to learn about something technical (a kettle, for instance) before you are thrown into multi-million dollar accounts where you inevitably flounder.

Company with great potential - Needs to do a bit more to be attractive for their employees

Team Leader (Current Employee)
Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at Computacenter full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- No dress code: People don't care how you look like.
- Culture of tolerance and respect due to multi-cultural environment
- MGMT open to listen to your suggestions (although not everything - even it would make sense - can be implemented due to business related constraints)
- Approach to be consistent and fair to everyone
- Interesting benefits: Private Healthcare, Ticket Restaurante, Ticket Transporte, Ticket Guarderia
- Availibility to facilitate work/life balance
- Relaxed working environment
- Has a workers council to supervise compliance with Spanish legislation and provide consultance and advice in legal matters

Cons- Salaries could be a bit more competetive
- Rewarding system has been not really interesting. Hopefully a recent process change makes it a bit easier for hard-working employees to get some financial recognizition.
- Internal punctuality policy is very harsh but there is a review underway.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Service Desk business of Computacenter Spain has grown a lot in the last two years. The company has been struggling to tackle down this change. Since about a year there has been a lot of effort made to improve things and close some gaps. My advice to the MGMT: You are going in the right direction but there is still a lot to do. Keep up the good work you've done so far.

Good place to work in

ITHD (Current Employee)
Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at Computacenter full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPeople, location, salary, opportunities, management

ConsWorking for a multinational company

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working towards helping your staff

Worked for Computacenter? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Computacenter reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Computacenter CEO Mike Norris. All 55 reviews posted anonymously by Computacenter employees.