Computacenter Reviews

Reset
2.8
Computacenter CEO Mike Norris
Mike Norris

Pros
  • Good work life balance if you're not a L1 call taker (in 4 reviews)

• Good people, fast changing and paced environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Nasty resource managers , full of BS , No support , most staff have had no pay rises for several years (in 7 reviews)

• The work/life balance for Consultancy is pretty rotten (in 4 reviews)

Company offering high tech future proof solutions to customers, yet internally still lives very much in the past!

I worked at Computacenter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, fast changing and paced environment. Opportunity for growth, however it's very much as a result of firefighting and being moved around, rather than through applied development. Good benefits such as health Insurance and Ticket Restaurant - Although it's only making up the lower salary. Good work life balance if you're not a L1 call taker!

Cons

Ironically there is a big lack of IT knowledge, people are generally only recruited for language skills then performance reviewed against technical, and soft skills gained only from poor on boarding and training. The Barcelona service center started purely for the languages that couldn't be easily recruited at the major Computacenter locations such as Hatfield. As such the services initially arrive at Barcelona with a very heavy focus on Language support, yet as contracts mature and CC makes more promises to the clients, when contract renewal time arrives, more and more technical projects arrive at CC Barcelona. It's often left to the analysts and team leaders to come up with technical solutions or work on projects that require skills above their current level. Considering the amount of extra tasks most people perform, the salary is poor and looks like it hasn't been reviewed since the company first set up in Spain approx 10 years ago. It's not competitive and the company needs to get up to date. There are currently a large number of vacancies not filled, and looking around sites like this and seeing similar roles with better salaries, it's not surprising. Health Insurance and Ticket Restaurant are nice to have, but CC seems to think that it's part of your "salary", many other companies in the region offer the both and still pay a higher salary. It's a not a replacement. To me this mentality is from 10 years ago, when it wasn't perhaps so common, however today it's expected from a company of this size. At an operational level, it's pretty embarrassing to be Europe's leading IT support company, when almost all of our clients are using newer equipment and operating systems than we are internally! As the "experts" I really feel we should be leading by example rather than lagging behind.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the service model, after 10 years of accounts coming, going and growing, there is a need for more technical resources and training. The recruitment policy needs to reflect this, we cannot continue to ask for language skills alone. Same applies to the salary scale, look around at other companies and see how competitive you really are. It's time to review the 10 year old scale you have, the cost of living has shot up here in 10 years. And tell Mr Norris to stop with the ridiculous emails, I don't care where he last went to his Villa and how much his lunch and hotel cost the company,

Breaking rocks in the IT Gulag

Pros

A gristle pit of grunt work backed up by the most horrific specimins of middle management know to mankind. Free coffee though

Cons

Not shooting yourself on monday morning.

Good starting point for a career in IT. Not a good company to build a career.

Former Employee - Project
    Former Employee - Project

I worked at Computacenter full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job stability in difficult times. Some friendly staff & management. Good parking & facilities & a nice lake. Some training provided. Most people I know that have left are doing much better career wise, me included.

Cons

Very hard to get promoted on merit alone. Face fit culture & old boys mentality. Poor pay. Lazy middle management. Hard to get on training courses if your good at your job ( Quote from my manager " If i put you on that training course what's stopping you leaving for more pay ? I can't take that risk " ). Seen some staff in certain areas bullied & treated as outcasts by management.

Advice to Management

Some of the best managers their are the ones that keep moving & learning ( most of these guys / girls have left for other companies). Promote on merit & not because their in the curry golf club or because you or another manager has slept or going out with them or they are a mate from way back. Their is some real talent not being recognised or being given a chance. Mike Norris ( CEO ) weekly mails were informative for my role but i was on a project when he bragged that he was in New York & him & his wife were going to spend a small fortune shopping that would help kick start Americas economy when people around me a month before got no or 1% pay rises & some struggling to make ends meet. No the best motivation mail !

Terrible company to work for

Former Employee - Anything They Felt Would Make Most Profit in South Gate, CA
    Former Employee - Anything They Felt Would Make Most Profit in South Gate, CA

I worked at Computacenter full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get more money than being on the dole!

Cons

Managment dont care, career progression is about who you know and how much you kiss ass rather than ability, no pay rises, training to work in new roles terrrible.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff as your assett rather than a hinderance to your profits, after how I was treated after 8 years of working hard for you if the comany went bust tommorow I would not lose any sleep!!!

6. Level 1 Analyst

Former Employee - Analyst Level I in Barcelona (Spain)
    Former Employee - Analyst Level I in Barcelona (Spain)

I worked at Computacenter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice environment of work, ok benefits, they offer tons of courses to develop yourself and your skills, you can follow technical or human areas to grow.

Cons

Benefits are not the same depending of the account, in some you have bonuses others don't. The ticket restaurant is a joke 80 euros monthly. HR doesn't help you grow at all, I requested a few interviews, showing them I have interest in grow learning new areas and inclusive offer myself for FREE just to learn and guess what? Never heard any word from them! I have high education and I am able to do more than a simple Level 1 task however they cannot identify talents in their own company what just show the gap their HR have.

Advice to Management

The HR police should change and the Level 1 should be valorised, seniors work a lot and I experienced this in the 3 accounts I have being working for, Team Learder is the heaven just dealing with team issues and making up to 2000-3000 in on call! I was payed by mistake and saw how much they get paid to not do that much (off course depeding of the account not generalising).

And the winner is Upper Management

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Computacenter full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Its a great place to gain qualifications and some of the peers are true diamonds. Opportunities to maneuver to different areas of the business and gain experience in different parts of the business.

Cons

There is no review on how to allocate resources to various clients be it location or appropriate experience. Work life balance is not considered a great number of cases and many employees work above the working time directive on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Review your lower level management and the consistency to which they do not operate, they might have a fighting chance.

8. Strong culture, great people

I have been working at Computacenter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It feels like a family company even though its 13k+ employees. There is a strong results-driven culture, which is great if you are ambitious and hard-working. Slackers need not apply. Lots of long term (15-20year) loyalty, which is unusual in IT. The people are great, everyonee really looks out for each other and promotion from within is common-place rather than hiring outsiders. There is a lot of scope for career advancement if that it what you want and there are many ways that the company reward there staff. The best thing about CC is that they treat you on merit, rather than on background.

Cons

The company is led by ex-sales people and there is a big gulf in how sales people and non-sales people in the company are treated. The sales associate scheme (graduate), traditionally focussed on bringing people into sales business, seemed to ignore the fact that talent also lies elsewhere in the business and by ignoring it, and focussing only on the development of sales staff, they are missing a lot of potential talent.

9. Great pay, great people but ........

Pros

Fantastic business management systems and very clear strategy

Cons

You, will work; it is ultra competitive and ruthless. Stick a bit white socks and hardware - although changing slowly. Mike Norris leads from the front in this regard and struggles to shake off the barrow made good aura. However, he is highly successful.

If you're not in sales, then you don't matter...

Pros

Would probably be a good place to work at the start of your career, as the training & certification is good. Pay is OK, but a little on the low side compared to other resellers (this was justified to me, that "having CC on your CV will pay dividends in the future", which has an element of truth in it, but it is overstated by management imo). They do however reward those in sales well, as within, CC Sales are very much treated as the elite but even those guys are expected to give their pound of flesh & more.

Cons

Very political, toxic culture, & I witnessed a lot of nepotism & favouritism in my 4 years there - basically if you suck up to the right people (& you are Sales based in Hatfield or Blackfriars), you'll be OK, otherwise forget it, the rest of the country doesn't appear on managements radar. While they have shifted the business to be more consultative, they are still heavily dependent on rebates from vendors which is still heavily weighted to HP. They do have a review process, which is farcical as goal setting is arbitrary, where those in favour get softer targets compared to others. It;s not uncommon to have ideas stolen & then passed off by management as their own idea. Work life balance? You're awake, you must be at work.....

Grinding away

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Barcelona (Spain)
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Barcelona (Spain)

Pros

Colleagues were very kind and helpful.

Cons

There are not much good to say, during my period there it went from a company that invested in people, to a full blown call-centre where staff were merely bodycount. Phone monkeys.

Advice to Management

Having tried to raise awareness and drive change internally, only to get shut down. There's no advice to give deaf ears.

RSS Feed </> Embed