Computacenter

Computacenter Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Computacenter CEO Mike Norris

Mike Norris

Pros
  • Work Life balance is not just a word, most of the time, you get overtime "back"(in 3 reviews)

• Reasonable office environment, canteen, parking etc(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Moving internally need better pay rises(in 7 reviews)

• The nature of my role is that sometimes work/life balance can be "imbalance"(in 3 reviews)

Hard work but good bonuses

Account Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsLarge company with a strong brand, service offering and happy customers. The pay plan for account managers is tough - new business is extremely tough however for major AM's there is excellent money to be made

ConsPoor company culture, very corporate and both the company and management suffer from overinflated ego's as well as a slightly outdated approach to business and social culture.

Good starting point for a career in IT. Not a good company to build a career.

Project (Former Employee)

ProsJob stability in difficult times. Some friendly staff & management. Good parking & facilities & a nice lake. Some training provided. Most people I know that have left are doing much better career wise, me included.

ConsVery hard to get promoted on merit alone.
     Face fit culture & old boys mentality.
     Poor pay.
     Lazy middle management.
    Hard to get on training courses if your good at your job ( Quote from my manager " If i put you on that training course what's stopping you leaving for more pay ? I can't take that risk " ). Seen some staff in certain areas bullied & treated as outcasts by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the best managers their are the ones that keep moving & learning ( most of these guys / girls have left for other companies). Promote on merit & not because their in the curry golf club or because you or another manager has slept or going out with them or they are a mate from way back. Their is some real talent not being recognised or being given a chance.
    Mike Norris ( CEO ) weekly mails were informative for my role but i was on a project when he bragged that he was in New York & him & his wife were going to spend a small fortune shopping that would help kick start Americas economy when people around me a month before got no or 1% pay rises & some struggling to make ends meet. No the best motivation mail !

Terrible company to work for

Anything They Felt Would Make Most Profit (Former Employee) South Gate, CA

ProsYou get more money than being on the dole!

ConsManagment dont care, career progression is about who you know and how much you kiss ass rather than ability, no pay rises, training to work in new roles terrrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your staff as your assett rather than a hinderance to your profits, after how I was treated after 8 years of working hard for you if the comany went bust tommorow I would not lose any sleep!!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Big and plenty of opportunity to move around and learn new areas. Salaries not great.

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsBig and plenty of opportunity to move around and learn new areas

ConsSalaries not great. Hard to get promoted internally.

Customer Service Sanofi Account

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Barcelona (Spain)

ProsIdeally located next to the beach, nice benefits package,

ConsEnvironment messy, space between each desk is extra limited, most training are out of the scope that your position fulfilled, feed back provided by employees is not followed up, access extra limited to solve level 1 issues

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide all access in time in view of being more efficient and solve level 1 issues instead of escalating to senior analyst, provide training oriented on the scope of the position.

Great Company!

Sn Systems Analyst (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsWonderful place to work and learn new skills!

ConsNone whatsoever, working there has been a really good experience for me and for my career development.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are the most professional and most intelligent people i have met, driven, determined and very , very , skilled.

Hahahahaha funny CEO they have

A Full Time "a S " (Former Employee) Barcelona (Spain)

ProsThe upmost positive reason is to try to avoid "needing" (I do understand that since Spain is economically on its butt) to work here. Lousy lies all aound since I have no clue of anyone ever gained an interesting bonus as stated in da CEO`s claim here on Glassdoor. There are simply no bonusses unless you do "some kind of homework" (tiering) or if you s.a. (I really cannot write it completely, but use your imagination - the a stands for ........ right under your back
     ... the "s" is what you do on a tasty ice-cream)
    . As some of the comments already mention the wages are "far behind" ... and the worst part of this is that it is Company policy. They came to BCN because wages are low, but nevertheless they ask a lot from you and you are under a full time control. (Smart) People disappear and leave the company, and there is no back-up, they are hardly substituted. .... sinking ship ?

ConsThe upmost challenge to work here is to try to get outta here as soon as possible, even the "team managers" (woooaaaw) and the "delivery managers" (even 'woooaaaw-er') tell you that, because they, with all the responsabilities they are given, think that their wage is far too miserable, what happens they usually do more of the a.s.. and have an ok life, so .... why bother.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust drop it, and try harder

Excellent place to work

ProsUsual company benefits and friendly management team

ConsUsual big company politics nothing major wrong

The benchmark company for no accountability and zero communication

Solutions Architect (Former Employee) Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

ProsThe only pro I can think of is that there is so much going wrong that if your role is centred around diagnosing issues and recommending solutions (which will never get implemented) then you are in luck and the days will fly by and you can build up your own personal reputation as the go to guy.

ConsThe Way Computacenter Work:
    The warehouse delivery model (the £35 million investment they have “made” to help deliver support to you the customer):
    Their warehouse support model is fundamentally flawed – each component of CC’s delivery resides on GIO towers for things like, service desk/patching/build management/professional services
    • There is no internal accountability from any GIO service tower who is supposed to be a specialist in their respective technical area.
    • Each GIO tower has people paid with peanuts with no training just doing work from scripted processes which are out of date, often on another continent.
    • These people have no technical ability to self-diagnose anything.
    • There is no ability to not use these GIO towers as there is no internal competition
    • The internal training within the GIO towers is nothing short of non-existent
    • They have little to no experience of the tools they are using and require the non technical customers they support to write the processes they use!
    • The managers of these GIO towers are like smoke, they will never turn up to meetings to try to rectify issues in their respective services
    • The central online storage for all these out of date processes is never reviewed, ever

Professional services:
    Professional services are a team which deliver solutions in project form to customers
    • They will deliver a new infrastructure which has loads of bugs and is already out of date
    • They will descope as much work and support as possible
    • They will not deliver any formal training in said infrastructure
    • They will not deliver any formal process documentation on basic processes used with the infrastructure
    • They will disappear offsite and will never be available for any form of knowledge sharing
    • There will be no handover to the CC BAU teams in any way shape or form
    • There sole interest is to look for billable options once it’s in place
    • Everything they create is a proof of concept and never scaled up in terms of capacity and supportability

Day to day service and BAU:
    • There is NO scalability in their workforce for any BAU work. They will charge the earth for resource, but if you want to scale up a BAU activity then there is nothing they will do.
    • There “PASS12T” frame work is the exact opposite – instead of passing down easy fixes to frontline teams they do little to invest in training. Basic work is passed up the chain not down.
    • Basic information gathering on faults is never done
    • There is no formal shared knowledgebase used by all resolving teams
    • There is no faith in the service from a customer level
    • They focus on anything they can double charge back to the customer.
    • There is not enough staff to implement any form of training plan or training matrix
    • There are single point of failures in terms of employee knowledge
    • 40% of workforce is contractors who don’t care about any form of quality service
    • Their request application “Directa” is awful, its hated by most customers

Onsite managed services (the top level people who are supposed to coordinate the service onsite):
    These people are the high level service managers who attend meetings with the client
    • They offer zero communication internally
    • They accept zero responsibility for their failing service
    • They openly laugh when things go wrong for a customer while a team work hard to fix the issue.
    • They are completely clueless in terms of any form of IT strategy
    • They have zero understanding of how to implement any form of service
    • They have zero understanding of any form of process flow
    • They have no idea or trust in their GIO towers who they pay £100000’s annually to deliver components of a failing service.
    • They have conference calls and escalation meetings which take away zero action points to achieve any formal change
    • They look to “charge twice” for services to gain more money from their customers.
    • Underperforming managers are just moved between contracts rather than performance developed
    • They talk about escalations and expediting issue with no actual understanding of the problem, the path to solution and the necessary work to get there.
    • You will be told about the “service introduction process” it simply doesn’t exist..

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I was a person who wants a job within CC or was looking at the No 1 outsourced service provider in the market which is CC, I would run a mile, and then run another. Never in my life have I seen such incompetence, negligence and lack of any formal desire to deliver a service at every layer of the organisation than I have at Computacenter.

They have the potential to be decent by just going back to basics but there is no time or scope to do that when they are bus billing you twice for consultants who are not fit to implement any form of change.

Hopefully the insourcing trend will start up as it always does so companies avoid getting into bed with clowns like these.

Could be a great place to work....

Team Leader (Former Employee) Barcelona (Spain)

ProsMulticultural environment, Friendly people, great location.

ConsCompany simply driven by profit, Does not invest on its people, promote people not by its values but their aggressiveness and/or drinking buddies

Advice to Senior Management"Grow up"... in other words, walk before you run. promote your people, treat them as your biggest asset! Create values and promote them. Promote cultural diferences and hire people managers to maintain your good staff. I am sure you can make it of you put effort.

Worked for Computacenter? Contribute to the Community!