Computacenter

Updated September 24, 2014
2.7

Computacenter CEO Mike Norris
Mike Norris

Pros
  • Work Life balance is not just a word, most of the time, you get overtime "back" (in 4 reviews)

• Good people, fast changing and paced environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Moving internally need better pay rises (in 7 reviews)

• The nature of my role is that sometimes work/life balance can be "imbalance" (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Company offering high tech future proof solutions to customers, yet internally still lives very much in the past!

I worked at Computacenter full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people, fast changing and paced environment. Opportunity for growth, however it's very much as a result of firefighting and being moved around, rather than through applied development.

Good benefits such as health Insurance and Ticket Restaurant - Although it's only making up the lower salary.

Good work life balance if you're not a L1 call taker!

Cons

Ironically there is a big lack of IT knowledge, people are generally only recruited for language skills then performance reviewed against technical, and soft skills gained only from poor on boarding and training.

The Barcelona service center started purely for the languages that couldn't be easily recruited at the major Computacenter locations such as Hatfield.
    As such the services initially arrive at Barcelona with a very heavy focus on Language support, yet as contracts mature and CC makes more promises to the clients, when contract renewal time arrives, more and more technical projects arrive at CC Barcelona. It's often left to the analysts and team leaders to come up with technical solutions or work on projects that require skills above their current level.

Considering the amount of extra tasks most people perform, the salary is poor and looks like it hasn't been reviewed since the company first set up in Spain approx 10 years ago. It's not competitive and the company needs to get up to date. There are currently a large number of vacancies not filled, and looking around sites like this and seeing similar roles with better salaries, it's not surprising.

Health Insurance and Ticket Restaurant are nice to have, but CC seems to think that it's part of your "salary", many other companies in the region offer the both and still pay a higher salary. It's a not a replacement.
    To me this mentality is from 10 years ago, when it wasn't perhaps so common, however today it's expected from a company of this size.

At an operational level, it's pretty embarrassing to be Europe's leading IT support company, when almost all of our clients are using newer equipment and operating systems than we are internally! As the "experts" I really feel we should be leading by example rather than lagging behind.

Take a look at the service model, after 10 years of accounts coming, going and growing, there is a need for more technical resources and training. The recruitment policy needs to reflect this, we cannot continue to ask for language skills alone.
    Same applies to the salary scale, look around at other companies and see how competitive you really are. It's time to review the 10 year old scale you have, the cost of living has shot up here in 10 years.

And tell Mr Norris to stop with the ridiculous emails, I don't care where he last went to his Villa and how much his lunch and hotel cost the company,

Breaking rocks in the IT Gulag

I worked at Computacenter

Pros

A gristle pit of grunt work backed up by the most horrific specimins of middle management know to mankind. Free coffee though

Cons

Not shooting yourself on monday morning.

Good starting point for a career in IT. Not a good company to build a career.

Former Employee - Project
    Former Employee - Project

I worked at Computacenter full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Job stability in difficult times. Some friendly staff & management. Good parking & facilities & a nice lake. Some training provided. Most people I know that have left are doing much better career wise, me included.

Cons

Very hard to get promoted on merit alone.
     Face fit culture & old boys mentality.
     Poor pay.
     Lazy middle management.
    Hard to get on training courses if your good at your job ( Quote from my manager " If i put you on that training course what's stopping you leaving for more pay ? I can't take that risk " ). Seen some staff in certain areas bullied & treated as outcasts by management.

Some of the best managers their are the ones that keep moving & learning ( most of these guys / girls have left for other companies). Promote on merit & not because their in the curry golf club or because you or another manager has slept or going out with them or they are a mate from way back. Their is some real talent not being recognised or being given a chance.
    Mike Norris ( CEO ) weekly mails were informative for my role but i was on a project when he bragged that he was in New York & him & his wife were going to spend a small fortune shopping that would help kick start Americas economy when people around me a month before got no or 1% pay rises & some struggling to make ends meet. No the best motivation mail !

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible company to work for

Former Employee - Anything They Felt Would Make Most Profit  in  South Gate, CA
    Former Employee - Anything They Felt Would Make Most Profit in South Gate, CA

I worked at Computacenter full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You get more money than being on the dole!

Cons

Managment dont care, career progression is about who you know and how much you kiss ass rather than ability, no pay rises, training to work in new roles terrrible.

Treat your staff as your assett rather than a hinderance to your profits, after how I was treated after 8 years of working hard for you if the comany went bust tommorow I would not lose any sleep!!!

Worked at Computacenter for 15 years, great company, lots of opportunity if you want to work hard and grow your career

I have been working at Computacenter full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great opportunities, great teams, career development

Cons

If you want to just turn up then its not for you

Good company, good people, underpaid

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Barcelona (Spain)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at Computacenter full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you have initiative and are willing to go a bit further, outside your role, then you will be recognized for it and progress.

Cons

Benefits package and salary needs reviewed to match competitors

A strange culture for a large business

I worked at Computacenter full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

OK if you are starting out on a career. Some good people. Trying to catch-up in terms of large company systems and ways of doing things. I was put on a training course.

Cons

The disadvantages of a large company but without the benefits.
    Small company mentality - very cliquey and so on..
    Too much emphasis on commission earning sales people and not enough on those who help them succeed.
    A top-down attitude to staff reinforced by senior management whose prejudices are reflected in the idea that people can only be trusted to work when in the grey, poorly lit overcrowded box and where the air conditioning is switched off at 6pm.
    You are offered a not particularly good salary to start with and you will not get an increase despite your performance and hard work.
    Senior managers, who partly own the place, think that as it's good for them it's also good for you. No it's not - there is almost a slightly North Korean feeling when you receive a weekly email from the boss who says he doesn't like holidays. That's why you get a relatively poor entitlement of 20 days holidays when you start.
    Although it has been trying to catch up in terms of large company systems it still seems to be stuck in the 1980s. It is not so much sales-driven as process driven.
    Seen as not a 'team player' if you don't go to the canteen where the food is awful.
    You can't change anything.
    I didn't realise how bad it was until I left when my children pointed out that I was no longer angry and irritable during the week - and that was despite working longer hours in my new job. This was to quite an extent the result of working for a control freak but the tone is set from on high.

Spend some money on your offices to improve productivity and don't paint it blue or grey! Why don't you try and engage with the staff who are not sales people?

Recognized global company, good starting stone for young professionals. Nowhere to make a career.

Former Employee - IT Analyst  in  Barcelona (Spain)
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Barcelona (Spain)

I worked at Computacenter full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

+ Straight forward recruitment process
    + Friendly coworkers
    + Occasional free fruits for chairty

Cons

- Salary and benefits not scaled for market
    - No incentive for personal growth
    - Professional progress is only available to friends of management
    - Stressed and hectic environment (call center)
    - Internal training is poorly structured and doesn't prepare you for the analyst role
    - Frequent change of management
    - Constant HR feedback/questionnaires but never any change or improvement
    - Facilities

Empower and enable your employees.

Curates egg

Former Employee - Projects  in  Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Projects in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Computacenter full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Projects practice a very professional place to learn your trade. I found much more variety of work than I would have done in a customer type environment.

Cons

Work life balance can be poor. Staff are expected to put in whatever hours are necessary to cover management failings. Staff expected to drive many miles in their own time to customer sites then put in whatever number of hours are necessary.
    Management believe their own propaganda - never a good sign.

Accept that staff are a necessity and treat them accordingly. Take responsibility for your own failings instead of looking down the food chain for someone to blame.

Not the worst, not the best

Current Employee - First Line Analyst  in  Barcelona (Spain)
    Current Employee - First Line Analyst in Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at Computacenter full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large company movement and growth possible if desired, and prepared to do tedious tiering assessments.

Cons

Salary leaves a lot to be desired, and is the reason for such a high turnover, even though I assume service to the customer is for the most part satisfactory, if the salaries were higher a lot more people would be able to afford to stay and that knowledge and experience would provide a better service to customers i.e. better "SLA's", which would in turn boost reputation and the amount the company could charge for its services.
    As regards people complaining about the C.E.O's "this week" if it annoys you don't read it, its a corporation, the C.E.O is expected to do some of this guff, and probably doesn't want to write it as much as you couldn't be arsed reading it

Streamline process for growth, and training and development could be more accessible, in the UK the company receives tax breaks for training hours, some of the money saved could be spent in the Spanish branch for employee training which would improve employees opinions of the company and improve the company's service to the customer. Also as regards team leaders, I have heard some horror stories but for the ones who are approachable and work hard keep up the good work there are obviously constraints placed upon you by the parent UK company, so if they won't supply enough money for more staff they can't complain if SLA's are not at the required standard

Computacenter Photos

Computacenter Services and Solutions
Inside Hatfield, UK Head Office
Hatfield, UK Head Office
Workfloor

+ Add Photo

Worked for Computacenter? Contribute to the Community!