Computacenter

Updated September 12, 2014
2.7

Computacenter CEO Mike Norris
Mike Norris

Pros
  • Work Life balance is not just a word, most of the time, you get overtime "back" (in 3 reviews)

• Reasonable office environment, canteen, parking etc (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Moving internally need better pay rises (in 7 reviews)

• The nature of my role is that sometimes work/life balance can be "imbalance" (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Company offering high tech future proof solutions to customers, yet internally still lives very much in the past!

I worked at Computacenter full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people, fast changing and paced environment. Opportunity for growth, however it's very much as a result of firefighting and being moved around, rather than through applied development.

Good benefits such as health Insurance and Ticket Restaurant - Although it's only making up the lower salary.

Good work life balance if you're not a L1 call taker!

Cons

Ironically there is a big lack of IT knowledge, people are generally only recruited for language skills then performance reviewed against technical, and soft skills gained only from poor on boarding and training.

The Barcelona service center started purely for the languages that couldn't be easily recruited at the major Computacenter locations such as Hatfield.
    As such the services initially arrive at Barcelona with a very heavy focus on Language support, yet as contracts mature and CC makes more promises to the clients, when contract renewal time arrives, more and more technical projects arrive at CC Barcelona. It's often left to the analysts and team leaders to come up with technical solutions or work on projects that require skills above their current level.

Considering the amount of extra tasks most people perform, the salary is poor and looks like it hasn't been reviewed since the company first set up in Spain approx 10 years ago. It's not competitive and the company needs to get up to date. There are currently a large number of vacancies not filled, and looking around sites like this and seeing similar roles with better salaries, it's not surprising.

Health Insurance and Ticket Restaurant are nice to have, but CC seems to think that it's part of your "salary", many other companies in the region offer the both and still pay a higher salary. It's a not a replacement.
    To me this mentality is from 10 years ago, when it wasn't perhaps so common, however today it's expected from a company of this size.

At an operational level, it's pretty embarrassing to be Europe's leading IT support company, when almost all of our clients are using newer equipment and operating systems than we are internally! As the "experts" I really feel we should be leading by example rather than lagging behind.

Take a look at the service model, after 10 years of accounts coming, going and growing, there is a need for more technical resources and training. The recruitment policy needs to reflect this, we cannot continue to ask for language skills alone.
    Same applies to the salary scale, look around at other companies and see how competitive you really are. It's time to review the 10 year old scale you have, the cost of living has shot up here in 10 years.

And tell Mr Norris to stop with the ridiculous emails, I don't care where he last went to his Villa and how much his lunch and hotel cost the company,

Breaking rocks in the IT Gulag

I worked at Computacenter

Pros

A gristle pit of grunt work backed up by the most horrific specimins of middle management know to mankind. Free coffee though

Cons

Not shooting yourself on monday morning.

Good starting point for a career in IT. Not a good company to build a career.

Former Employee - Project
    Former Employee - Project

I worked at Computacenter full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Job stability in difficult times. Some friendly staff & management. Good parking & facilities & a nice lake. Some training provided. Most people I know that have left are doing much better career wise, me included.

Cons

Very hard to get promoted on merit alone.
     Face fit culture & old boys mentality.
     Poor pay.
     Lazy middle management.
    Hard to get on training courses if your good at your job ( Quote from my manager " If i put you on that training course what's stopping you leaving for more pay ? I can't take that risk " ). Seen some staff in certain areas bullied & treated as outcasts by management.

Some of the best managers their are the ones that keep moving & learning ( most of these guys / girls have left for other companies). Promote on merit & not because their in the curry golf club or because you or another manager has slept or going out with them or they are a mate from way back. Their is some real talent not being recognised or being given a chance.
    Mike Norris ( CEO ) weekly mails were informative for my role but i was on a project when he bragged that he was in New York & him & his wife were going to spend a small fortune shopping that would help kick start Americas economy when people around me a month before got no or 1% pay rises & some struggling to make ends meet. No the best motivation mail !

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible company to work for

Former Employee - Anything They Felt Would Make Most Profit  in  South Gate, CA
    Former Employee - Anything They Felt Would Make Most Profit in South Gate, CA

I worked at Computacenter full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You get more money than being on the dole!

Cons

Managment dont care, career progression is about who you know and how much you kiss ass rather than ability, no pay rises, training to work in new roles terrrible.

Treat your staff as your assett rather than a hinderance to your profits, after how I was treated after 8 years of working hard for you if the comany went bust tommorow I would not lose any sleep!!!

Good company, good people, underpaid

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Barcelona (Spain)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at Computacenter full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you have initiative and are willing to go a bit further, outside your role, then you will be recognized for it and progress.

Cons

Benefits package and salary needs reviewed to match competitors

Not the worst, not the best

Current Employee - First Line Analyst  in  Barcelona (Spain)
    Current Employee - First Line Analyst in Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at Computacenter full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large company movement and growth possible if desired, and prepared to do tedious tiering assessments.

Cons

Salary leaves a lot to be desired, and is the reason for such a high turnover, even though I assume service to the customer is for the most part satisfactory, if the salaries were higher a lot more people would be able to afford to stay and that knowledge and experience would provide a better service to customers i.e. better "SLA's", which would in turn boost reputation and the amount the company could charge for its services.
    As regards people complaining about the C.E.O's "this week" if it annoys you don't read it, its a corporation, the C.E.O is expected to do some of this guff, and probably doesn't want to write it as much as you couldn't be arsed reading it

Streamline process for growth, and training and development could be more accessible, in the UK the company receives tax breaks for training hours, some of the money saved could be spent in the Spanish branch for employee training which would improve employees opinions of the company and improve the company's service to the customer. Also as regards team leaders, I have heard some horror stories but for the ones who are approachable and work hard keep up the good work there are obviously constraints placed upon you by the parent UK company, so if they won't supply enough money for more staff they can't complain if SLA's are not at the required standard

Curates egg

Former Employee - Projects  in  Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Projects in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Computacenter full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Projects practice a very professional place to learn your trade. I found much more variety of work than I would have done in a customer type environment.

Cons

Work life balance can be poor. Staff are expected to put in whatever hours are necessary to cover management failings. Staff expected to drive many miles in their own time to customer sites then put in whatever number of hours are necessary.
    Management believe their own propaganda - never a good sign.

Accept that staff are a necessity and treat them accordingly. Take responsibility for your own failings instead of looking down the food chain for someone to blame.

Recognized global company, good starting stone for young professionals. Nowhere to make a career.

Former Employee - IT Analyst  in  Barcelona (Spain)
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Barcelona (Spain)

I worked at Computacenter full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

+ Straight forward recruitment process
    + Friendly coworkers
    + Occasional free fruits for chairty

Cons

- Salary and benefits not scaled for market
    - No incentive for personal growth
    - Professional progress is only available to friends of management
    - Stressed and hectic environment (call center)
    - Internal training is poorly structured and doesn't prepare you for the analyst role
    - Frequent change of management
    - Constant HR feedback/questionnaires but never any change or improvement
    - Facilities

Empower and enable your employees.

Appalling place to work

I have been working at Computacenter full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Cant think of any Pros!

Cons

No proper employee benefits

Always making redundancies

Employ 'friends' within the department or family members that are incapable of doing the job

A culture of bulling by 'manangement'.

Made to work like a slave where nothing is good enough. You do all you can and they still expect more all for a bonus per quarter (which doesnt work out as very much after tax and isnt worth the amount of work you have to put in to get it).

Promotion to a higher grade role only possible because of who you know rather than ability to do the job. If you want to change jobs , you're more likely to be able to move sideways rather than upwards.

No recogition for hardwork or initiative

The 'bonus' has remained the same for the past 10 years

Poor payrises and renumeration

Not allowed to voice an opinion

No working from home policy

Very poor HR department who have a poor grasp of employment law.

Unless you work in projects practice you're micro managed to within an inch of your life.

Working for Computacenter is the biggest mistake of my life. They give you the bare legal minimum in terms of everything .

They know the job market is appalling which is why people are staying, and theyre using this to their advantage.

When I first started I realised what an awful place it was to work but planned to stick it out for a year and use the place as a stepping stone. But bang the recession hit and the job market is so tough now.

They also had a very high turnover of staff pre-recession. I only wish I hadnt stayed. I hate working here its soul destroying. Im looking to get out asap and will take anything that comes along . Thats how deseperate I am to leave.

I've been stuck here several years. It seems like you cant progress either unless you know the right people.

f you dont then you can only move sideways. Only good thing I can say about this place is its a job . Its better than being on the dole .... just about .

Get rid of senior management and start again, poor calibre of employee overall .

Hard work but good bonuses

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Computacenter full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Large company with a strong brand, service offering and happy customers. The pay plan for account managers is tough - new business is extremely tough however for major AM's there is excellent money to be made

Cons

Poor company culture, very corporate and both the company and management suffer from overinflated ego's as well as a slightly outdated approach to business and social culture.

Worked for Computacenter? Contribute to the Community!