Computer Aid

Updated January 22, 2015
3.4

Computer Aid President Tony Salvaggio
Tony Salvaggio

Pros
  • Decent consumer base, with opportunity to learn a great deal about troubleshooting software and hardware (in 5 reviews)

• Stable work environment, people you work with, hours (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It's not their fault they have had no mentorship, no training, and no experience to do what they are doing (in 4 reviews)

• Low pay, sometimes mindless work (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Never a dull moment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Computer Aid

Pros

Very interesting, learn something new every day. Great atmosphere. Terrific work-from-home ethics.

Cons

First place I've ever worked that doesn't give automatic yearly cost - of - living raises.

Good Learning Experience

Current Employee - Software Developer in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Computer Aid full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They provided me with a very good training period to ramp up with .NET and I've had the opportunity to learn from a variety of different projects. I was lucky and was able to work on a few more up to date projects using newer technology. Not everyone gets that here. The office setting is very laid back and you rarely need to work more than 8 hours. Many seem to take fairly long lunches. There is free coffee (which is terrible), tea, and soda.

Cons

They salary is very low even for someone right out of college in central PA. Many projects are quite outdated but there seems to be a small push to use newer tech and get better projects including mobile apps.

Try to stay up to date and get some exciting projects. Pay people closer to the industry standard.

Good company – old-school

I worked at Computer Aid full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Solid growing company that appears to provide good job security for people desiring to work in traditional IT services. From all appearances, if a role or position is not working out for someone, the company is more likely to reposition them than to let them go. Outstanding people with good hearts and minds working in management. It appears that a lot of positions have relatively high earning potential if commission based.

Cons

Although the leadership considers itself to be entrepreneurial, the reality is the company is mired in the 1990s. Products it considers to be forward thinking are a decade behind the times. Benefits are stingy.

Management is not interested in outside advice. This company's thinking, services, products, and culture are all on the backside of the adaptation curve. It is the company's fundamental flaw.

Computer Aid is a good place to work if you don't need a career

I have been working at Computer Aid

Pros

Computer Aid pays on time.

Cons

The work offered here is for a client that is deeply-rooted in 1980's technology. There is no opportunity for professional growth as is the case with most, if not all, consulting companies.

Consider treating employees as assets to be developed rather than disposable parts to be acquired and discarded. Consider that low-balling a contract keeps dedicated long-term professionals interested in a career from wanting to accept employment on that contract, because you can't pay enough to keep them, which ultimately undercuts your ability to satsify the client. You get what you pay for.

Not a good place to work

I have been working at Computer Aid

Pros

There no positive things I can say.

Cons

They don't give a damn about the employees

Pay full benefits.

Great Company with caring associates

I have been working at Computer Aid full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been employed at CAI for 6+ years and have been truly pleased and challenged with everything I have been handed. The team I am with has encouraged growth and life-long learning opportunities, and we are challenged to do better. CAI is always looking for ways to give back to the community.

Cons

They do their best to treat associates fairly in this difficult economy

A great first job

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Computer Aid as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great Real World Experience
    Eased into cold calling, inside sales
    Potential to learn industry terms and softwares

Cons

Not very up to date especially for a company that is IT
    Not structured program

Start looking into the app market, you are going to fall behind if you don't do this.
    Don't put so much on your part time employees, we appreciate the work but when you give us 50 hours of work that you expect us to do in 25 that's just asking for disgruntled employees.

I work for them for my first job just to get something on my resume it was good for that.

I worked at Computer Aid as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

My agent was very nice and helpful always responded quickly to my questions. It was a short term contract so not much to it.

Cons

They do not pay till a month later. They pay every two weeks and behind two weeks. So you dont get your first pay check till a month later

Good place to start

Current Employee - Intern in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Intern in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Computer Aid as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great way to start in the industry. They allow you to work part time during the semesters and 40 hrs/wk in the summer.

Cons

The pay isn't too much, $10/hr isn't the most competitive pay

Take a look at their website. If it still looks like the 90s, run!

Former Employee - Sales in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Sales in Allentown, PA

I worked at Computer Aid part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, I stayed as long as I did because of them. Lots of very brilliant people working there. However also a few dumbasses. I learned a lot at my time there.

Cons

1. Poor pay. I needed health benefits and was strung along being told something may come along, but never did. There was a bonus incentive but I got too busy to focus on sales vs. marketing.
    2. Poor communication w/in the company. CEO thinks the website looks fine, but it scares customers away. Wait until you hear what the regions did...
    3. It's a boys club, good luck trying to climb the latter if you're not related!

Don't forget about the little guys