Computer Generated Solutions

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Computer Generated Solutions President and CEO Phil Friedman

Phil Friedman

36 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great opportunity to be entrepreneurial.

IT Director (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsCompany values, teamwork, and exposure to multiple industries. Ability to be proactive.

ConsHealth Benefits really need to be revamped when compared to other industries.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to your employees and understand their point of view.

Best place to build a career

Recruiter (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI can't imagine a better organization to work for in terms of career progression. As an industry leader in multiple verticals, CGS brings in some of the best talent and subject matter experts relevant to your career path no matter how niche your background is.
    I can't tell if it was the company's vision or if it's how the culture evolved, but few managers are "set in their way(s)" and leave the door open to new ideas as long as the results are there. Hiring decisions are based on what the company believes you're capable of doing, not whether or not you can fill someone else's shoes. This goes a long way in avoiding micromanagement.

ConsSometimes CGS can feel like 5 or 6 different companies working in the same office, mostly because of their vast portfolio of products/services. Each division could be it's own self sustaining company really, so there's few opportunities to interact with people outside your focus area.

Excellent but Demanding

New York, NY

ProsI have been with the Company for over five years. The people are outstanding and the Company is a great place to work. The environment is demanding but if you do what is asked, and that has always been reasonable you will suceed.

ConsThe benefits could be better and it would be nice if they had casual Friday's in the summer

Advice to Senior ManagementSr mgt needs to have more interaction with the employees

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

worked for this company greater than 7 years and would enjoy doing another 7.

SME, AHLTA, EMR (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsLove the people and company policies

Consalways at a remote site never get to meet all the players

Excellent catalyst for refining your skills and learning new ones

Sales & Marketing (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsFellow employees are friendly and willing to lend a helping hand. I came into the company without a ton of marketing experience but everyone in the department was ready, willing, and able to help me develop the skills I had. I have become proficient in several software programs and have developed several skills I didn't have before I started here, and it's all a testament to the people I work with. The company itself is understanding and flexible, allowing you to achieve that work-life balance everyone seeks.

ConsNot necessarily a con, but upper management is heavily involved with every decision so most of what you produce has to be approved. It can sometimes put a halt to your "creative juices" but overall it usually ends up being the best thing for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy only suggestion would be to try and boost office morale and lighten the mood a bit. Perhaps some fun themed days or parties, etc? I think it can only help to make work more enjoyable.

Worked at CGS Sales

Sales Executive (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros- Great salary. who wouldn't love that :). Too bad I had to leave NY
    - stable job yet very challenging.
    - I learnt something new everyday.
    - My boss was very supportive and easy going.

Cons- Vacation and benefits package is not that good.
    - The company has plenty of products/services and each product has multiple aspects... Very challenging as I said!

Advice to Senior Management- HR needs to spread some fun around and work on improving employees benefits

Engineering Team

Senior Network Engineer (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros- The company has many divisions and I think most of the bad reviews are coming from calls centers.

- Competitive Salaries

- Friendly and highly educated staff in a nice comfortable work environment.

- It's a 9 - 5 job. no one expects you to stay longer that your work hours unless you agree to.

- Very entrepreneurial.. If you have a good idea, you can just meet with the CEO or any of the VPs and discuss it.

- Upper management might be traditional but very approachable

Cons- You only get 10 vacation and sick days which negatively affects your life balance.

- Health insurance is expensive

Advice to Senior Management- Spread some happiness around the place. This is an IT/software company and not a financial institution.

- Work and life balance is important.

Fake reviews are the norm

New York, NY

ProsHard to come up with one pro unless you are out of a job. Ignore the first 10 or so fake reviews to see what people really think of this company and CEO/owner.

ConsOppressive micro management environment. If any raises and bonuses, they are just another insult to the hard work people put in. The Marketing person directed to write multiple fake positive reviews was just fired so some other poor sap will have to take over trying to hide the truth. Most senior level managers are just waiting for the magic 3 year number so they can get the heck out.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor some managers, keep treating your people with respect and dignity even though you are regularly embarrassed by Phil Friedman.

Complete First Month Review

Director of Marketing (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros- I have been with CGS for over a month now and so far I'm 90% satisfied with everything I have seen.

- Nice and comfortable work space (200 Vesey, WFC)

- Spacious cubicles/rooms. You won't have to fight for your chair here or hide your screen from nosy colleagues.

- Very successful company. no dept, no loans which means a stable job and more opportunities in the future.

Cons- Leadership might be a little traditional yet very practical. This is not your cool/sexy flatiron start up.

- 10 vacation days in average. Most places give 3 weeks or more nowadays

- Health Insurance doesn't kick off right away. You have to live insurance-less for 3 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's been proven that employees who believe that management is concerned about them as a whole person not just an employee - are more productive, more satisfied, more fulfilled. Satisfied employees mean satisfied customers, which leads to profitability.

Keep up the good work!

This company brought my work-and-life to a balance.

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI am thankful to be part of this company and this is why I have stayed here for more than 7 years. The people I work with are very talented, very smart, and so down-to-earth. The management team is solid and they allow individuals to be as creative and resourceful as they can be. There are numerous opportunities within the company because of the ever growing projects and I have always recommended my friends to check it out.

ConsEvery company has its challenges, but I can't seem to find one right now. The management respects my days off, sick days, emergencies. Training is provided whenever requested. My boss' values are always positive and it resonates through out the team.

Worked for Computer Generated Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Computer Generated Solutions reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Computer Generated Solutions CEO Phil Friedman. All 36 reviews posted anonymously by Computer Generated Solutions employees.