Computer Sciences Corp Reviews

1. Rating of CSC

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst Senior Professional in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst Senior Professional in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

The CSC employees I work with are bright and motivated, and really seem to care about doing a good job.

Cons

The Etes app (online app to enter timesheets) needs some work.
    At my level I saw no positive impact of their vertical and horizontal restructuring undertaken last year. In fact I never did find out who the person is that is supposed to help find another project to work on when my current one ends.

As if it can't get worse after onboarding...

Current Employee - Software Engineer Professional in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Professional in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Due to the size of the company (about 87,000 employees), I've had the opportunity to work with a variety of clients.

Cons

Declining benefits packages, constant contradiction between policy and practice, very frustrating from day to day. They make even the simple things difficult. It took them several months to pay my expense reports! Mediocrity is rewarded. The company doesn't try to preserve long-term relationships with customers, which puts the consultants in a very difficult position. Lots of uncertainty about the future of the company. People are jumping ship every day.

The "bell curve" was the beginning of the end. you can't have your cake and eat it too.

3. Burnout Factory

Current Employee - Project Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of training with internal self-paced and instructor-led classes.

Cons

Morale is at an all-time low since 1997 when I started. Layoffs come in waves every few months and everyone is terrified.

Slow down the "transformation train" for a few minutes to invest in the people who have been moving mountains to accomplish so much work in so little time. Salaries are embarrassingly low.

Their Management "Trends" -- the rest of IT has already shown they stunt growth

Current Employee - Senior Testing Professional in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Testing Professional in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In the public sector not any pros I can think of. . . . we lost the last of them this year.

Cons

Instead of valuing their employees they are alienating them. Over 5 years they have become the worst employer I've ever worked for in my 13 years of IT employment. CSC used to be a proud name and one I was glad to be associated with. Instead under Mike Lawrie's direction, corporate wants us workers to suck it up and do more while he gets ready to retire with billions. The work load is more but the morale is in the gutter. Why are we bearing the failures of management on our backs? We're the ones who actually do the work! Google and Apple now offering egg preservation to their female employees? Ha! CSC's new benefit year is making it even less attractive to work here - no raises this year but of course the costs are going up 25-30% and the coverage is less.

There is very little accountability. The new management structure puts people under a "people manager" not involved in or knowledgeable of our daily work, and our program managers are business people focused on client relations but with little background in our technical field. Frustrating and inefficient. A lot of wheel spinning 'cause no one is really in charge. People get hired by managers who don't know how to assess technical skills. Drains the life right out of your ambitions to do a great job.

Listen to your rank and file: the people who used to be proud to carry your name. Loyalty should matter to my upper management and company executives, but apparently now they could care less. I am used to working hard with dedication and want to be proud of my employer.

You've lost my loyalty, and I am no longer such a dedicated employee. Several of my talented colleagues with years of service have already found new jobs. Keep it up. The people you hire to replace them will be likely be less skilled. See how that works for you.

Stay With Them Until A Real Job Is Available

Former Employee - Field Technician Position in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Field Technician Position in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A pay check will come your way
    Free parking
    Clean Offices

Cons

- Middle management is under qualified for the titled position they hold.
    - Tech don’t share IT information to help the team grow, they hold on to information for job security.
    - Not a very American friendly or former military oriented, jobs are leaving for over-seas
    - Middle management does not speak up for their hardworking employees; the lackeys are just there to appease upper management

You should appreciate the talent you have remaining there

Non-realistic vision after transformation

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Plethora of projects to choose from but leadership has to be willing

Cons

No guidance or willingness to progress ones career

Employee is not just a number, there is real life associated with it. Treat them as human beings rather than dispensable labor.

CSC employee for 20+ years, not a good company anymore!

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Depending on the project that you work on and your manager, your work schedule can be flexible. I have been able to relocate to other projects throughout my years with CSC.

Cons

Medical benefits are not good anymore (very high premiums with high deductibles) and now the amount of your premium you pay depends on your salary. Vacation benefits have changed as well and not for the good. The new employee performance rating is not fair. CSC is now using new bell curve rating, which was proven not to work in other companies. These have all been recent changes to employee benefits, all to save money for the company. Virtually no training.

This used to be a very good company many years ago. CSC used to care about their employees. The upper management doesn’t care anymore. The new CEO has ruined CSC. He is only concerned with the stakeholders and saving the company money, while he gets rich. Health insurance premiums are higher than most company, vacation benefits recently downgraded and not good anymore. Most employees did not get a pay raise this year, approx 40% with no increase. Prior increases were 1% -2% for majority. Moral is at all-time low and most employees are tying to leave. No reason to work here unless you can't find anything else. CSC should be your last resort for a job.

9. I gained a lot of experience, GREAT TEAM environment,

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Recognition to team members for hard work!!! Kept work flowing and motivation.

Cons

Not too flexible with work schedule and time due to high volume of work.

Great until 2012 corporate reorganization...then went downhill fast.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I can't think of any right now.

Cons

The new organizational model is horrible. Prior to the reorganization, my PM or someone local was my manager. They knew me...I knew them. They conducted my performance appraisal, if I had issues/concerns that I could not resolve, they were the person that I reached out to. They held "all hands" meetings for our team, they were able to reach out to my contract and ascertain about my performance. After the reorganization, my functional manager was in Florida...I worked in Maryland. They had no idea of who I was, my background, the work I did or the customer I supported. I was actually assigned to the wrong organization...but no one could figure out how to get me reassigned. In the year since the reorganization I heard from my functional manager twice...once to tell me I was receiving a raise....then the next time to tell who to contact because I was being laid off.

Rethink the organizational/reporting structure.

11. overall good

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good working environment, strong ethics

Cons

sometimes recruit less experienced IT professionals thus spoling the reputation of the company

Computer Sciences Corp Photos