Computer Sciences Corp

2.7
2,926 Reviews

Computer Sciences Corp President & CEO Mike Lawrie
Mike Lawrie

Pros
  • Very good work-life balance (as long as they keep you on the payrolls), good pay (in 299 reviews)

• The opportunity to work from home "IF" it was written in the initial contract (in 116 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance advertised as being important when in reality it should be work (in 53 reviews)

• Very bad senior management, dont even have ethics or know to speak proper English (in 89 reviews)

More Highlights

38 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Employer Review.

Current Employee - Senior Oracle Developer in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Oracle Developer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Work environment and people are willing to help if you need one.

Cons

Benefits are not that good. Not employee friendly.

Need to look at the benefits and make them more employee friendly. Especially the vacation and other benefits.

Burnout Factory

Current Employee - Project Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of training with internal self-paced and instructor-led classes.

Cons

Morale is at an all-time low since 1997 when I started. Layoffs come in waves every few months and everyone is terrified.

Slow down the "transformation train" for a few minutes to invest in the people who have been moving mountains to accomplish so much work in so little time. Salaries are embarrassingly low.

Their Management "Trends" -- the rest of IT has already shown they stunt growth

Current Employee - Senior Testing Professional in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Testing Professional in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In the public sector not any pros I can think of. . . . we lost the last of them this year.

Cons

Instead of valuing their employees they are alienating them. Over 5 years they have become the worst employer I've ever worked for in my 13 years of IT employment. CSC used to be a proud name and one I was glad to be associated with. Instead under Mike Lawrie's direction, corporate wants us workers to suck it up and do more while he gets ready to retire with billions. The work load is more but the morale is in the gutter. Why are we bearing the failures of management on our backs? We're the ones who actually do the work! Google and Apple now offering egg preservation to their female employees? Ha! CSC's new benefit year is making it even less attractive to work here - no raises this year but of course the costs are going up 25-30% and the coverage is less.

There is very little accountability. The new management structure puts people under a "people manager" not involved in or knowledgeable of our daily work, and our program managers are business people focused on client relations but with little background in our technical field. Frustrating and inefficient. A lot of wheel spinning 'cause no one is really in charge. People get hired by managers who don't know how to assess technical skills. Drains the life right out of your ambitions to do a great job.

Listen to your rank and file: the people who used to be proud to carry your name. Loyalty should matter to my upper management and company executives, but apparently now they could care less. I am used to working hard with dedication and want to be proud of my employer.

You've lost my loyalty, and I am no longer such a dedicated employee. Several of my talented colleagues with years of service have already found new jobs. Keep it up. The people you hire to replace them will be likely be less skilled. See how that works for you.

After 32 years with CSC, I can't wait to get OUT!!!

Current Employee - Senior Consulting Engineer in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Consulting Engineer in Hanover, MD

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The long-time employees are still wonderful to work with, but they are getting fewer and fewer.

Cons

When I joined CSC, their motto thru the 1980's and 1990's was "Our Employees are our most Important Asset". Now, they couldn't care less about employees.
    What have they done to discourage employees (lately)?
    1. Forced employees to take 5 days of their annual leave on the last days of the year. All leave after Dec 31 of every year will vanish. When I started with CSC, we could carry over twice our annual leave rate.
    2. They zero'ed out ALL merit pay increases to employees (first time in history). At the same time, the Board gave the CEO yet another $6M, even though he missed his targets and numbers. Other sr mgrs also got nice raises. But no employees!
    3. Pension fund contributions were halted
    4. Job titles are now linked to salary. If your title says senior engineer, software, your salary will be lowered to fit what that title says you should earn.
    5. For the past 1.5 years or more, they have been sneaking up behind long-time employees, and tapping them on the shoulder, "You're RIF'd". One security guard will escort you out, and another will clean out your personal belongings.
    6. They moved to matrix management. I was given 17 employees who I did not know and was told to do their performance review! I had to email each employee to find out who their day to day manager was, and then email the forms for that person to do the review. Almost all my people were given "Does Not Meet Expectations". Luckily, I had time to rewrite their reviews. My VP said all employees had to A) describe how they positively affected CSC's bottom line. So I had to call/email all employees to ask them what they did to make CSC money (besides diligently work the contract and bring in profit and revenue). I was able to have all my emps receive a Meets or an Exceeds rating. However, they still received no pay increase.
    7. Senior mgmt had decreed that 15% of employees shall receive a Does Not Meet Expectations, 40% shall receive Partially Meets Expectations, 35% shall receive Meets Expectations, and no more than 10% shall receive Exceeds Expectations. If this isn't illegal, it's certainly a great way to reduce morale.
    8. Small things that seem to be just to annoy employees - no holiday parties, no more employee-recognition (used to have a banquet every 5 years for employees with 25+ years with CSC), tightened "open space" (no offices nor even cubicles);
    I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

CSC was a GREAT place to work until the 2000's, then progressively became worse and worse.

Mike Lawrie: Please Leave!!!
    Board of Directors: Please Leave!!!

Good Salary for Contractors

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great salaries for Cleared Contractors, quick job interview and decision was pretty instant

Cons

No career mobility, couldn't find any other positions. Federal Contractors are stuck in their position duration of contract.

Stay With Them Until A Real Job Is Available

Former Employee - Field Technician Position in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Field Technician Position in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A pay check will come your way
    Free parking
    Clean Offices

Cons

- Middle management is under qualified for the titled position they hold.
    - Tech don’t share IT information to help the team grow, they hold on to information for job security.
    - Not a very American friendly or former military oriented, jobs are leaving for over-seas
    - Middle management does not speak up for their hardworking employees; the lackeys are just there to appease upper management

You should appreciate the talent you have remaining there

Non-realistic vision after transformation

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Plethora of projects to choose from but leadership has to be willing

Cons

No guidance or willingness to progress ones career

Employee is not just a number, there is real life associated with it. Treat them as human beings rather than dispensable labor.

CSC employee for 20+ years, not a good company anymore!

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Depending on the project that you work on and your manager, your work schedule can be flexible. I have been able to relocate to other projects throughout my years with CSC.

Cons

Medical benefits are not good anymore (very high premiums with high deductibles) and now the amount of your premium you pay depends on your salary. Vacation benefits have changed as well and not for the good. The new employee performance rating is not fair. CSC is now using new bell curve rating, which was proven not to work in other companies. These have all been recent changes to employee benefits, all to save money for the company. Virtually no training.

This used to be a very good company many years ago. CSC used to care about their employees. The upper management doesn’t care anymore. The new CEO has ruined CSC. He is only concerned with the stakeholders and saving the company money, while he gets rich. Health insurance premiums are higher than most company, vacation benefits recently downgraded and not good anymore. Most employees did not get a pay raise this year, approx 40% with no increase. Prior increases were 1% -2% for majority. Moral is at all-time low and most employees are tying to leave. No reason to work here unless you can't find anything else. CSC should be your last resort for a job.

Not a great place to work right now

Current Employee - Principal Senior Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Principal Senior Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I still have a job and the stock has recovered.

Cons

Layoffs. Selling off divisions. Bell shaped performance curve. 40% of employees must be rate as not meeting expectations or worse. Only top 10% received raises. Vacation policy change caps annual leave carry over to 40 hours. Will only buy back in vacation at 40% hourly rate. Pension benefits frozen. Company wringing out costs at the expense of the employees.

Treat your employees better or see tremendous turnover.

I gained a lot of experience, GREAT TEAM environment,

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Recognition to team members for hard work!!! Kept work flowing and motivation.

Cons

Not too flexible with work schedule and time due to high volume of work.

Computer Sciences Corp Photos