Computer Sciences Corp

2.7
2,844 Reviews

Computer Sciences Corp President & CEO Mike Lawrie
Mike Lawrie

Pros
  • Very good work-life balance (as long as they keep you on the payrolls), good pay (in 280 reviews)

• The opportunity to work from home "IF" it was written in the initial contract (in 113 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance advertised as being important when in reality it should be work (in 52 reviews)

• Very bad senior management, dont even have ethics or know to speak proper English (in 86 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not for Everyone

Current Employee - Manager in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Manager in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people to work with; challenging but somewhat rewarding professionally

Cons

Stress of always looking over your shoulder, wondering who's going to be let go next

By nature, insurance software vendor work is challenging and can fluctuate tremendously.

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Columbia, SC

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time

Pros

The Quality of people you get to work with daily and opportunity to learn a lot about the insurance business.

Cons

Diverting profits from one part of company (financial services) to other poorer performing segments created situation with dated technology and products though we had the expertise to improve the products and continue growing the business.

Cost cutting mainly through layoffs which target more senior (higher paid) staff has created gaps you might not fix unless you change that strategy and rehire some of those people.

Abandon Ship

Current Employee - Software Development Team Lead in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Software Development Team Lead in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company is now profitable
    They are still paying regularly

Cons

Eroding salaries and benefits
    Bell curve evaluations - 40% of employees get unsatisfactory rating
    No raises
    Experience employees and management leaving

Abandon the bell curve and quit driving your best employees away.

Great, knowledgeable, hard working, team playing co-workers / corporate cut backs, layoffs, reduced benefits

Current Employee - Lead Business Analyst in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Lead Business Analyst in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People - Awesome team players! Flexible hours. Challenging work (never bored).

Cons

Bell curve employee rating - low performance reviews to talented, hard working co-workers. Forced use of vacation days. Vacation day carry-over reduced to 5 days. 5% pay cut a couple of years ago. Change of 401K match to end of year (if you leave or are laid off, then no match of 401K). Corporate shifting to an 80% offshore / 20% onshore, hence we have layoffs. Long hours. Talented management leaving the company at a rapid rate. De-motivating atmosphere due to all of these changes.

Rethink changes noted in Cons above. Losing staff at an alarming rate is causing a floundering situation. Customers aware of the situation and are getting less support from us due to reduced staff.

Leaving CSC after 15 years of service

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you are looking for experience in data center technical support and don't mind long hours, you can add a few lines to your resume working for CSC. It seems to be a company now focused on acquiring junior people to train for a high turnover employee base.

Cons

CSC has been plagued by financial reporting scandals in their European contracts and former executives looting the shareholders. The new management team is seeking to regain some measure of profitability at the expense of its long time employees through cuts in benefits and compensation. Older workers with tenure of over 5yrs are the target of cuts only to be replaced with junior staff at a significantly lower rate. Ultimately this results in a loss of productivity and loss of contracts so the company's long term outlook is questionable and there is little hope of the work environment improving.

There really isn't any need or point in giving upper management advice on how to treat their employees better. Their goal of profitability at the expense of their labor force precludes any meaningful discussion from the bottom up.

Horrible Experience

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst Lead in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst Lead in Columbia, SC

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I can't think of anything good

Cons

Where do I start. furloughs and horrible pay.

do the work and don't complain

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Columbia, SC

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- exposure to large systems
    - most of the employees under management are competent and care
    - lots of long term customers who potentially supply job security
    - you get to see first hand results of your work with clients
    - very senior company so growth potential is there as many retire

Cons

- Health plans quadrupled in price
    - No bonuses, no employee engagements or events, and no/minimal raises. NO work/ife balance
    - Everyone was furloughed and took paycuts and vacation cuts but management continues to receive bonuses while sending out weekly emails about how well the company is doing and how high our record profits have been, (REALLY?!)
    - Management is extremely senior, unproductive, and overpaid and more worried about their annual survey score than actually making productive changes
    - After annual employee survey results (write in the space type response) hammered management, they changed the survey to multiple choice and biased questions instead of making any actual changes
    - The office branch has gone from 2000+ employees to under 400 - (not everyone was fired) so what do you think

Sweeping changes are needed beginning with extremely top heavy upper management. New CEO has started the process but may be too-little too-late. At least pretend like you care for employees well-being and work/life balance.

Boring job after coming from customer service based environment poor poor poor training

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Columbia, SC

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cafeteria on campus and good benefits

Cons

I had a boring job the description was nothing like what I was doing

Management was not good at training you and clearly did not have the time to do so

Great to start and get experience but nothing besides that

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

Big company (corporate) experience, Work with many senior personel, Exposure to large scale projects.

Cons

Takes too long to move up, Pay is wayyyyy too little for industry median and area, Way too strict about good employees working remotely every now and then.

Pay more to your employees, treat them more like people and not robots, Understand Human Relations theory.

I had a good experience working there.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, SC

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

I always had opportunity to try beyond my comfort zone. At least my manager was supportive of my novel ideas and made sure I got the visibility I needed withing the group. Generally, my colleagues were supportive and helpful. If you are single and love to travel, there are opportunities for that as well. It is a good company to start your career. But eventually you may want to look for better opportunities.

Cons

Pay hikes are less in amount and in frequency. There is almost no growth in terms of new business except for occasional new clients. The management should learn to treat employees better (not that now they treat badly).

Go out and get us more work. Don't try to sell out the company and make money for yourselves.

Computer Sciences Corp Photos