Computer Sciences Corp

2.9 2,448 reviews

Computer Sciences Corp President & CEO Mike Lawrie

Mike Lawrie

2,448 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "I have been enjoying work-life balance for some time; but not sure how long I can continue this"
    in 225 reviews
  • "The opportunity to work from home "IF" it was written in the initial contract"
    in 68 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance can be difficult during the first couple months of the year"
    in 33 reviews
  • "Very bad senior management, dont even have ethics or know to speak proper English"
    in 77 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Variety of career growth available but tough work culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork remotely, fantastic education reimbursement, ability to change career paths between engineering and management and back, involved in multiple industries, pockets of innovation and smart employees, talented managers will fight for their employees, work with global teams and partners.

Conslow to nonexistent raises in the past few years, general apathetic attitudes by good employees who have been told "no" too often, new ranking system is applied at the team level penalizing teams that do not have low performers, budget constraints and red tape can halt innovative projects indefinitely.

Not bad for consulting

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsWork from home flexibility, significant travel and perks, good for career start or consulting.

ConsLots of employee benefits changed when the market crashed in 2009 and they held a lot of things back.

A very challenging and rewarding experienced that advanced my career.

Technical Team Leader (Former Employee)
    Camp Edwards, MA

ProsA company that is highly competitive and diverse with operations in over seventy countries.A leader in its federal sector and informational technology business units and is always adapting to change through innovation.

ConsThe challenges as always is that as the company strives for excellence and a stronger competitive position functional obsolescence occurs by default and should always be a high priority to insure and minimize the impact to employees and the corporation.

Advice to Senior ManagementStronger Leadership and people with vision who will rise above and beyond in implementing current corporate policy and future grand strategies is always in demand and should be recruited at all levels.
    The Global Performance and Evaluation Program is excellent though should be administered by qualified managers with college degrees who can administer without bias as the program was intended. If poorly qualified mangers who are blinded by their egos and can not objectively administer an evaluation then a loose; loose situation results from a foggy executive summary.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Human resources

ProsWork / Life Balance is great at the company. I've been here since 2008 and love the people I work with.

ConsChange in recent executive leadership.

Been a good run

ProsVery good pay and has good health care benefits.

ConsPoor management at the top.

Advice to Senior Managementthe grading system is wrong.

Programmer Analyst

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood work culture and more opportunities to learn new technologies

ConsNo incentives or pay hikes

CSC is a good company

Director (Current Employee)
    Falls Church, VA

ProsA large company that provides flexibility for job growth

ConsLoss of coverage will mean layoff

Entering a growth stage

Principal (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsPlenty of new opportunities for new employees, the company has gone through significant change to become a more agile consulting firm, and made some recent new key senior management hires. Excellent work/life balance, and fair pay. There is a large number of new employees who are excited about making change.

ConsWe are at the tail end of a turn around, so there are still some bumpy roads ahead. You will still run into a minority of employees who have been with the company for a long time who are bitter about the recent changes where the company cut back benefits and budgets to be more competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew management seems to be focused on the right issues, but management needs to be prepared to invest as the turnaround yields financial results.

Turnaround Underway

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    Falls Church, VA

ProsWell positioned to become important player in IT Transformation to a cloud model for enterprise and government.

ConsBig ship to turn and entrenched culture and incentives could slow progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the "new" customer-- the need to transition to IT-as-a-Service and do not perpetuate the business models and practices that got them in the trouble in the first place.

Fractured services, Poorly managed, Outdated Leadership

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsThis company does have it ups. Locations located around the world make it easy to find work within the company. Many of the positions I have seen allow you to work remote occasionally --> majority of the time. Also, it is very hard to get fired from this place. You have a chance of being laid off but I have seen people that should have been fired hang on because of the company's fears of letting people go.

ConsManagement is week and does a lot of outdated practices. CSC claims to not force managers to give rating to their employees but they have advised and revised submitted yearly appraisals for the last few years and even given quotas on what they are allowed to give out. You can look that up online for news articles referencing that.

Also managers (the ones that are half way decent) have to fight so hard just to get people what they deserve or even the minimum of the range they should be in pay wise.
    So many times people get into an easy spot in this company, show they can do better then the job they are assigned to, and then given a "parallel" move to another job with more responsibility but the same pay. Sure, its fine in the beginning because those people don't have the experience to move to that position directly but when they start to become experts in that, the company fights tooth and nail to not give them a fair salary in that spot.

They have changed our 401K contributions to protect them against people leaving in the middle of the year. They know that their practices are bad and they have to find ways to minimize the hit when people leave. They have NO clue how much experience has left our company in the few years I have been here because of their bad management practices.

They just changed our vacation policy to reflect a mandatory time off. A forced 5 day off from your vacation pool which they got rid of a few years back. Not only that, they were requesting people to take some vacation days before the july 3rd to make their books look better. They have no clue that all they are doing is delaying the truth from reaching their stock holders.

Managers are so bad. Many of them are bullies, not knowledgeable in their role, push work off on other people or team, and throw people under the bus the first chance they get.

Apparently to survive in this company and get promoted, you need to join the smokers crew, suck at your job and use buzz words ever other sentence. It is so sickening to see how these people stick together and bash other hard workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees on their managers performance and fire those managers that perform poor. You cleaned out a good deal of dead wait but you still left a lot of your "buddy" managers in positions they didn't deserve to be in.

Worked for Computer Sciences Corp? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Computer Sciences Corp reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Computer Sciences Corp CEO Mike Lawrie. All 2,448 reviews posted anonymously by Computer Sciences Corp employees.