Computer Sciences Corp

2.9 2,448 reviews

Computer Sciences Corp President & CEO Mike Lawrie

Mike Lawrie

2,448 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "I have been enjoying work-life balance for some time; but not sure how long I can continue this"
    in 225 reviews
  • "The opportunity to work from home "IF" it was written in the initial contract"
    in 68 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance can be difficult during the first couple months of the year"
    in 33 reviews
  • "Very bad senior management, dont even have ethics or know to speak proper English"
    in 77 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not a great place to work right now

Principal Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
    Annapolis Junction, MD

ProsI still have a job and the stock has recovered.

ConsLayoffs. Selling off divisions. Bell shaped performance curve. 40% of employees must be rate as not meeting expectations or worse. Only top 10% received raises. Vacation policy change caps annual leave carry over to 40 hours. Will only buy back in vacation at 40% hourly rate. Pension benefits frozen. Company wringing out costs at the expense of the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better or see tremendous turnover.

CSC

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsLarge company with many opportunities.

ConsPoor support by management and little concern for personal growth.

Worst company I've ever worked for… by far.

Sales (Current Employee)
    Falls Church, VA

ProsHigh base salary helps keep the lights on.

ConsTotally disorganized. Management completely out of touch with reality. Company full of people who like to talk, but don't do anything. Outside of the CEO, the senior leadership is weak. There is no sales culture. No one has the authority to make a decision without a committee of 30 people reviewing an opportunity. Comp plan does not incentivize the behavior the company seeks. Benefits (including vacation allowance) are terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring more managers (especially from stagnant, dying companies) and hire more competent, hungry sales & pre-sales support people to drive change in this company. Empower the field if you truly want to drive sales. Eliminate the committees and all of the redundant & unnecessary processes that inhibit sales. Provide offerings that are relevant and price competitive in the market, and that can be delivered. The 2-weeks vacation policy for the first 5 years of employment is a complete joke and totally out of touch with the market… change it. Tying company OI and customer satisfaction to individual sales compensation is asinine too. No good salesperson will want to come to CSC unless drastic changes are made.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

acts like it hates its employees

ProsSome interesting work, global presence

Consterrible benefits, only 2 weeks vacation, new vacation policy forces 4 of those be taken at Christmas so you really get just 6 days vacation, no raises, forced ranking says most employees are average to substandard, no bonuses to commercial despite ridiculous work demands. Overall it seems every day it shows it really doesn't care about its employees. It is driving profitability on the backs of the staff, not through growth, so corporate can get its bonus but not others in the organization. Worst place I've worked in a 30 year career in IT

Advice to Senior Managementtreat employees like you think they're important. seriously match industry benefits including vacation which is far behind standard.

Not for me

Profession Technical Support (Current Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsFinding an expedient method find a better job.

Cons- No increase in pay
    - Increase is workload
    - Managers who have no clue or idea on how to manage operations properly
    - The overall project I work is just bad, horrid, and loaded with incompetence.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hold contempt for some managers, in the few months of my employment at this company, I learned what ‘NOT’ to do when I become a manager.

DONT DO IT!

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    Falls Church, VA

ProsTuition Reimbursement is pretty high compared to other companies who either don't offer it, or offer the government write-off maximum of $5K/year.

ConsCompany is an absolute mess both organizationally & financially. Financially - they "strongly suggested' employees take vacation in order to rectify their balance sheets and now they are forcing employees to take 5 of their measly 10 vacation days during Christmas. They also forced employees to cancel pre-paid flights and hotel rooms for an annual conference to save money. Organizationally - there is no HR directory of people and their roles, no org chart past level 4, no consistency on how things are done, it is CHAOS! There are also many under-performers that are never addressed. The work is piled on the performers instead.

Also, they are an IT company that uses outdated hardware and also technology (LOTUS NOTES!)

Advice to Senior ManagementFind other ways to balance your budget than to force employees to take vacation, and give us more than 10 days of vacation. Force your business units to use the same processes and standards to breed efficiency. Get rid of under-performers - they hold others back and there is too much of a mess to fix.

A bloated behemoth going through a much needed reorganization and transformation.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Falls Church, VA

ProsMy comments reflect what it was like in late 2012. I do not have a view on how things may have changed since then. In general, coworkers were friendly and helpful outside of corporate headquarters. Work and job satisfaction can be good, depending on your project, role or assignment. Work-life balance was generally fine most of the time.

ConsLack of standard business processes, practices and information systems across business units. Often archaic internal processes that were tedious and inefficient. Corporate HQ was a stressful environment with everyone either looking over their shoulders in fear of losing their job or politicking. Unclear organization structure and career path opportunities. Ridiculous number of recurring meetings with equally ridiculous numbers of people attending.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would imagine a number of the organizational and operational cons have been or are in the process of being addressed.

CSC - Good company to work for

ProsGood benefits and good people to work with. Ability to move up in the company. Working from home is a huge bonus. Excellent way to improve your skills and knowledge.

ConsGoing through a reorg, can be a bit messy at times, needs to have better performance reviews that are not graded on a curve. Sometimes can be a bit political.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to fill back orders, hiring freezes put more stress on the workers. If we lose 1 or 2 people can take a year to replace those positions.

Very good learning experience something to look forward to at work everyday.

Electronics Technician I (Former Employee)
    Killeen, TX

ProsVery high standards are a requirement by the book company

ConsThe work schedule some times can be very demanding and stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more training for the supervisors and team leads. Some of their people skills need a lot of work.

Not right time

ProsUsed to be a performing organisation. Now none... struggling to keep alive

ConsNot interested in employee and client. Just bothered to show profitability and stay alive

Worked for Computer Sciences Corp? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Computer Sciences Corp reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Computer Sciences Corp CEO Mike Lawrie. All 2,448 reviews posted anonymously by Computer Sciences Corp employees.