Computer Sciences Corp Reviews

Reset
2.3
Computer Sciences Corp President & CEO Mike Lawrie
Mike Lawrie

Pros
  • Relatively good work/life balance (in 299 reviews)

• You can work from home when needed (in 116 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance is a joke (in 53 reviews)

• every year (or earlier) senior management below Mike Lawry is being replaced making it difficult to plan long term (in 89 reviews)

1. Software Development Engineer

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bohemia, NY
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bohemia, NY

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of high level projects. on project for multiple months at a time.

Cons

A lot of repetitiveness. Job security. Little advancability at current location. More of a task do-er than a task developer.

Advice to Management

Keep employees engaged and satisfied as contributors

Sad Company

Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Freehold, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Freehold, NJ

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Offered a variety of opportunities

Cons

Run by management unable to see "big picture" for stability and growth. Focused on short term financials ahead of people and quality services.

A lack of any decent management and career opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Long Is City, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Long Is City, NY

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time

Pros

Not much that I could think of unless you count the day I got laid off. This company is a mixed bag of shells and depending on the account you get on it might be different.

Cons

Lack of any decent management. When I say the management is unprofessional it is to the highest degree. They prefer to replace onshore workers for cheaper foreign workers, giving the foreign workers all the training they could offer. If you ask for training onshore you will be denied. When I mentioned it to my manager he just told me "you are a second class citizen". Raises come in small amounts and the chance to learn and grow into a better role is none. Oh, when they lay you off it will be in an email with a letter that offers the number to the suicide hotline. How pathetic, who would kill themselves over losing a terrible job at CSC. A really cold company with little to offer and even if your manger knows something is wrong they will not stand up for you. Instead they just hide and barely do there jobs as they are scared of getting laid off themselves. The situation got worse every year I was with them.

Advice to Management

Get real. Upper management should unload all the worthless bosses instead of nickel and dimming training and raises for the technical workers. You would actually have a talented staff then.

CSC will suck out your soul and trample it. RUN AWAY.

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Large company, many opportunities for advancement -Remote work possible for some roles

Cons

-CSC is in a death spiral The company is systematically slashing most experienced personnel, especially in the US, but even in India! - After 3 years of cutting without regard to consequences, core delivery capabilities have been decimated -No reference-able accounts of any real size, in turn causing fewer new account wins -Every employee I speak to off the record is despondent and looking for a job elsewhere -Company is morally bankrupt, taking money out of the pockets of employees any way possible to meet outlandish promises to Wall Street. (This in the form of making staff work 70 hour weeks, reduced bonuses, pay cuts, reneging on compensation agreements, forced vacation even if you don't have enough accrued, forcing unmeetable cost challenges into departmental budgets, and so on. It's extremely ugly.) I get capitalism, and CSC *should* be rightsizing its costs as it isn't competitive right now. The problem here is that the execution is reckless, shortsighted, and brutal for its customers and employees. It's clear to me that the end-game is a sale of the split companies. This is probably wonderful for stockholders, but it's a living nightmare for employees.

Advice to Management

-Enjoy the speedboats and lake houses you got from tearing the guts out of a once honorable and valuable company. -On your way out this winter, please turn us over to someone interested in innovation, investment, and delighting customers.

Consultant

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

Big organization, friendly people, opportunities to learn

Cons

Low pay, lots of restructuring changes, poor management

A good experience until recently. Management has been having trouble setting a clear course for the organization.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people whom I work with are exceptional and are very skilled. The clients I have worked with have also been tremendous as has the type of worked within which I am engaged.

Cons

Recently, management has been having a great deal of trouble finding a clear course for the company and are lacking consultants in positions of decision maker.

Advice to Management

Management needs to stop worrying about counting beans and start realizing that building a business is done by doing the right thing for a customer.

8. Not a bad company to work.

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good firm to work on different consulting projects

Cons

Leadership needs to be more connected with employees. Though this comment is limited to only couple of projects and things may be different elsewhere within the firm.

Advice to Management

Promotions are rare. Employees are motivated but leadership lacks to connect and take it further.

9. good experience

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

hard traning and no bonous

Cons

fat manager and smelly area.

Advice to Management

avoid favouriism.

15 years with CSC. 5 years in a technical role as a Windows & Unix Systems Engineer, 10 years as an infrastructure PM.

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

Many US based employees can work from home.

Cons

CSC has constantly eroded the benefits plans for employees, to the point where their benefit plans are mediocre, at best. Company is off-shoring the majority of their US based staff (other than NPS employees) and moving many of the remaining jobs to three low cost data centers. You either move or lose your job. If you do move your salary is adjusted and their is no guarantee you will keep your job. Management continues to lay off significant numbers of employees and keeps applying more pressure on remaining employees. Company is being sued (yet again) by employees for not paying wages for all hours worked. I averaged close to 60 hours/week over an 18 month period and was told in my annual review that I only meet expectations. The good people that are left are leaving. Salaries are substantially low based on current market offerings. New sales offerings are not gaining traction in the market. Almost all senior management is new - many trying to make names for themselves quickly. Decision making at senior levels is confusing to employees and cause for significant disruption at the ground level. Moral is at an ALL TIME LOW.

Advice to Management

Get senior management aligned. Fix the internal working's of the company. Get the CBU aligned to properly support CSC internal. STOP laying off critical people in critical roles. Stop removing benefits from employees. Fix the annual review process that you recently implemented. Pay people for the hours they work.

11. Entering a growth stage

Current Employee - Principal in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Principal in New York, NY

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of new opportunities for new employees, the company has gone through significant change to become a more agile consulting firm, and made some recent new key senior management hires. Excellent work/life balance, and fair pay. There is a large number of new employees who are excited about making change.

Cons

We are at the tail end of a turn around, so there are still some bumpy roads ahead. You will still run into a minority of employees who have been with the company for a long time who are bitter about the recent changes where the company cut back benefits and budgets to be more competitive.

Advice to Management

New management seems to be focused on the right issues, but management needs to be prepared to invest as the turnaround yields financial results.

Showing 38 of 3,691 reviews