Computer Sciences Corp

3,168 Reviews

Computer Sciences Corp President & CEO Mike Lawrie
Mike Lawrie
1,061 Ratings

Pros
  • Very good work-life balance (as long as they keep you on the payrolls), good pay (in 299 reviews)

• The opportunity to work from home "IF" it was written in the initial contract (in 116 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance advertised as being important when in reality it should be work (in 53 reviews)

• Very bad senior management, dont even have ethics or know to speak proper English (in 89 reviews)

More Highlights

Downward Spiral

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Newark, DE

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Depending on who is your manager, great flex time.

Cons

Pay raises stagnant. Resources are not given training to update their skills. Vacation plans have been changed to limit hours carried over. Health plan costs have risen dramatically. Can be long hours depending on your immediate job. Very little interaction with management.

Take care of your employees and they will take care of you.

Started out great, ending up not so....

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Newark, DE

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I believe it all depends on your immediate manager/team. We have great Flex time, but we are also expected to work OT with no pay whenever needed. If you're on the operations end, this is a more common occurrence than non ops personnel. Pay and vacation is decent.

Cons

Since the downturn in the US economy the pay has stagnated. They have begun changing their health insurance (more expensive, high deductible) and vacation plans(can only carry over minimal amount of hours to next year or sell back for .40 cents on the dollar) not in favor of the employees. If you get laid off you may get something called "working notice" which is a way of not paying you severance. Training has become a thing of the past.

You get what you pay for.

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

Easy life, good work culture, flexible, 9 to 5, HR helpful, lots of opportunities, diversity, passion for the mission, global footprint is honored and practiced.

Cons

New leaders bringing in their "own" from the outside and leaving some of current CSCs as risk or simply overlooked for new opportunities. Quarterly performance can be intimidating and not always clear - if new then you're likely to get a lower rating in the beginning.

New leaders building their teams should take time to meet and learn more about their current amazing team before hiring externally. The wealth of knowledge and commitment to the corporate mission are assets that can't be quickly or easily replaced.

I had a good experience working as a CSC employee but I left CSC in 2001 so it may have changed.

Former Employee - Administrative Service Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Service Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

Good management. Multiple avenues to choose from to improve your career.

Cons

It's been a very long time but my experience with CSC was good. I do not recall any cons.

I liked the structure of management back in 2001. If you still have an open door policy, don't change it.

Prof1. System Administrtor

Current Employee - Prof1 Systems Administrator in India, TX
    Current Employee - Prof1 Systems Administrator in India, TX

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

AIX upgrade
    2. VIO uograde
    3. HMC upgrades
    4. participating in Project works
    5.DR activities

Cons

!. AIX upgrade
    2. VIO uograde
    3. HMC upgrades
    4. participating in Project works
    5.DR activities

SDM

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

Good Benefits, Fair Salary, Leadership

Cons

PM staff located in DC area
    PM staff knowledge of local community

The company is disorganized, does not pay well, provided poor training, but was good experience for your first job.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Worked with numerous consultants who had years of experience and so much to teach you. Gain experience working with various useful applications.

Cons

Some weeks you will have nothing to do, while others you may be working OT. The company is huge so its structure is extremely disorganized so good luck asking HR for any help. The month of training they provided me was completely useless and I ended up getting assigned to a project on a role that did not use most of the training provided.

All around good company to work for, in spite of the normal "big corp" negatives.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

Recent restructuring reduced bureaucracy by cutting the number of management layers.
    Highly regarded software company with a history of partnering with other successful entities like Google and Microsoft to lead the industry in innovation.

Cons

Too many high "chiefs" while I was there. Many with seniority were placed in charge of projects but had little experience in managing people or projects.
    Started losing ground in the local area defense and government sectors due to poor project performance and increased proficiency among competitors like SAIC and SSAI.
    Watered down performance evaluation system that resulted in inflated evaluations and politically driven performance.

Hold Program and Project Managers accountable to realistic performance levels.

Great place to work

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

USING and Learning complex technologies

Cons

80% travel to ients sites

None

Decent Java Developer Internship

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

Pay was decent for an internship. The group I worked with was a recently acquired start-up, so the atmosphere was casual. Learned a bit about Java. Senior developers were approachable.

Cons

Other divisions or groups seemed dissatisfied by corporate policy. Many people I knew that weren't from cloud development quit. The group's freedom seemed to be quickly dwindling.

Computer Sciences Corp Photos