Computer Sciences Corp Reviews

2.6
Computer Sciences Corp President & CEO Mike Lawrie
Mike Lawrie
1,257 Ratings

Pros
  • Relatively good work/life balance (in 299 reviews)

• You can work from home when needed (in 116 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance is a joke (in 53 reviews)

• every year (or earlier) senior management below Mike Lawry is being replaced making it difficult to plan long term (in 89 reviews)

3,612 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Great Company

Former Employee - Senior Field Inspector/Engineer in Oceanside, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Field Inspector/Engineer in Oceanside, CA

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, 401k, Dental, Medical, Working near beautiful places and great people.

Cons

I cannot think of anything I'd change off hand

Advice to Management

No advice to Management.

2. CSC! A great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

Management accessability, their doors are always open. Lots of opportunities for advancement within the company without having to move into sales. Competent HR staff. Very friendly and sharp employees. No Prima Donnas here.

Cons

Very very difficult to get good technical training without having to do it virtually. Unless you are on a project you rarely hear from anyone in CSC, some people can feel very isolated. They expect an awful lot of travel but fortunately most of it is Monday thru Thrusday. Middle management seems incompetent at times. There isn't a lot of planning going on before execution begins on many projects.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on something for more than 3 months.

3. Fun place to work

Current Employee - Helpdesk Analyst in Coppell, TX
    Current Employee - Helpdesk Analyst in Coppell, TX

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

Good compensation for the work you do.

Cons

The drive to and form work.

Advice to Management

None right now

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

Opportunity abounds for those who have initiative and aren't afraid to learn new things. They try hard to communicate with employees and bring/accept new ideas. It has been exciting working for CSC over the last 30 years in the federal market place and I have seen lots of employee growth.

Cons

It is a very large company, that for a long time has presented itself as aged with lots of experience. While their intentions are good for wanting to build leadership, they don't have a clear direct plan for doing so. The leaders who are identified as needing to be cloned are typically understaffed and overworked so finding the time to mentor others or balance worklife with personal life is difficult. Because it is a large company, the single source of internal services causes a loss of the personal touch/consideration fond in a small company, which is a negative.

Advice to Management

The new CSC that is rolling out is a wonderful and exciting long overdue iniative! It will demonstrate that CSC can think like the young, be full of hope and new promises, with passion to work with our customers to help them find solutions for their 21st century problems. CSC needs to find a way to build the young leaders and business developers of tomorrow and accept risk of sponsoring college enthusiast for clearances and giving them mentors and opportunities to show their stuff in our market place. We need to show younger faces along with the old when going in front of customers with proposals and new business solutions. By marrying up our experienced business developers and leaders, with our contingent for the next generation of CSC leaders/BDers, we can only create a stronger momentum on the path of success. On another note, it would sure be nice to have a better Lotus Notes web interface for mail, as well as ALL management databases.

6. You reap what you sow...

Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Newark, DE

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

An employee is only limited by their personal level of commitment to grow and learn. This is not a company for someone who wants to be "led" into professional development. You get what you put into it!

Cons

CSC is working to correct those areas that have been ignored - global collaboration, more customer satisfaction driven, creative and compassionate.

Advice to Management

Continue to allow employees to express needs and increase collaboration between working team across the organizatoin.

7. Bold and looking to make serious improvements.

Current Employee - Director in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

I'm free to plan my career path and am encouraged to grow into any position that I am interested in.

Cons

Continuous improvement requirements can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Increased communication on strategy. This is a more diversified company than some would think

8. I enjoy working at CSC...

Current Employee - Staff Consultant in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Staff Consultant in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

FCP is still a young organization and there is a lot of advancement that can be made. A key benefit of being part of such a large organization is that the option to move about the organization as a whole exists.

Cons

Currently there aren't that may projects and the managament of resources is slow to react.

Advice to Management

Win more work

9. Excellent local opportunity, but corporate reachback and support sucks.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

Extensive knowledge management resources, but you need to go find them yourself. They are not shared globally. Great local team to work with. Very knowledgeable, professional computer scientists.

Cons

Local contract work is liking working on a desert island. Reachback to corporate resources is almost non-existent. Fortunately, the local team is a really good group, otherwise it would be like working for any small mom-and-pop, rather than a Big Three, 90,000+ employee multinational.

Advice to Management

Grow, grow, grow. CSC used to ignore smaller opportunities, but it has learned that it needs to diversify. Mid-sized contracts are becoming more prominent in their wins. Keep going after these.

Steady place that can get boring

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

CSC is a very large company and each department is very different. My department was a small former DynCorp division and I felt that it was very nicely run in a family-friendly atmosphere. Managers were very open to 30/32 hour reduced FT schedules to people who had been working a few years with demonstrated performance, this was great for moms. Work was for the Fed Govt under LT contracts so unless you goofed big time your job was guaranteed. There was always a desire to help folks whose contracts ended and bring them into other divisions.

Cons

It is a large company and each department is different. - I have heard stories of very strict managers and very laid back managers. Note that there is no guarantee for inter departmental moves - if the contract you are on loses funding you may not find work and will get laid off.

Advice to Management

None.

11. Financial Analyst

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

I love the management staff. A lot of my co-workers are there for me when I have questions. There are some great mentors at CSC.

Cons

People are very competitive and I always feel like someone is coming after my position otherwise I love it there.

Advice to Management

Give us opportunities to join different organizations that would help us network with other professionals in the area that are in the same industry as we are.

Showing 3,612 of 3,708 reviews