Computer Sciences Corp

2.7
2,827 Reviews

Computer Sciences Corp President & CEO Mike Lawrie
Mike Lawrie

Pros
  • Very good work-life balance (as long as they keep you on the payrolls), good pay (in 276 reviews)

• The opportunity to work from home "IF" it was written in the initial contract (in 112 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance advertised as being important when in reality it should be work (in 51 reviews)

• Very bad senior management, dont even have ethics or know to speak proper English (in 86 reviews)

More Highlights

Good for engineer

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good financial growth for enginering people

Cons

Will not think about hard workers
    No Proper career

Please don't spoil the future of people

Annoying

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, location and people

Cons

little to no pay increases.

CSC OK... not great

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

There only OK... don't let the name foll you

Cons

Too big, very ineffective in making decisions at project level management

OK

Former Employee - Professional II - Systems Analyst in Noida (India)
    Former Employee - Professional II - Systems Analyst in Noida (India)

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free time
    Work from home
    No manager nagging - most of the cases

Cons

Gives enough freedom to work what ever you want to do but don't have any direction or motto what to achieve as a company.

Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Noida (India)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Noida (India)

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Work Life Balance. Good Policies. Off late, too many organizational changes

Cons

Low Salary compared to market standards

Their Management "Trends" -- the rest of IT has already shown they stunt growth

Current Employee - Senior Testing Professional in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Testing Professional in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In the public sector not any pros I can think of. . . . we lost the last of them this year.

Cons

Instead of valuing their employees they are alienating them. Over 5 years they have become the worst employer I've ever worked for in my 13 years of IT employment. CSC used to be a proud name and one I was glad to be associated with. Instead under Mike Lawrie's direction, corporate wants us workers to suck it up and do more while he gets ready to retire with billions. The work load is more but the morale is in the gutter. Why are we bearing the failures of management on our backs? We're the ones who actually do the work! Google and Apple now offering egg preservation to their female employees? Ha! CSC's new benefit year is making it even less attractive to work here - no raises this year but of course the costs are going up 25-30% and the coverage is less.

There is very little accountability. The new management structure puts people under a "people manager" not involved in or knowledgeable of our daily work, and our program managers are business people focused on client relations but with little background in our technical field. Frustrating and inefficient. A lot of wheel spinning 'cause no one is really in charge. People get hired by managers who don't know how to assess technical skills. Drains the life right out of your ambitions to do a great job.

Listen to your rank and file: the people who used to be proud to carry your name. Loyalty should matter to my upper management and company executives, but apparently now they could care less. I am used to working hard with dedication and want to be proud of my employer.

You've lost my loyalty, and I am no longer such a dedicated employee. Several of my talented colleagues with years of service have already found new jobs. Keep it up. The people you hire to replace them will be likely be less skilled. See how that works for you.

good

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

Good benefits, time flexibility,work culture

Cons

No cons as of now.But bad management polotics

advice

OK

Current Employee - Quality Senior Supp in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Quality Senior Supp in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good EE relations, nice clients to work and nice time -offs

Cons

Sr Management not good and not EE friendly

Applications support

Former Employee - Applications Support in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Applications Support in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly supervisors in a food environment

Cons

Not enough travel. Too much desk job

More travel

After 32 years with CSC, I can't wait to get OUT!!!

Current Employee - Senior Consulting Engineer in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Consulting Engineer in Hanover, MD

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The long-time employees are still wonderful to work with, but they are getting fewer and fewer.

Cons

When I joined CSC, their motto thru the 1980's and 1990's was "Our Employees are our most Important Asset". Now, they couldn't care less about employees.
    What have they done to discourage employees (lately)?
    1. Forced employees to take 5 days of their annual leave on the last days of the year. All leave after Dec 31 of every year will vanish. When I started with CSC, we could carry over twice our annual leave rate.
    2. They zero'ed out ALL merit pay increases to employees (first time in history). At the same time, the Board gave the CEO yet another $6M, even though he missed his targets and numbers. Other sr mgrs also got nice raises. But no employees!
    3. Pension fund contributions were halted
    4. Job titles are now linked to salary. If your title says senior engineer, software, your salary will be lowered to fit what that title says you should earn.
    5. For the past 1.5 years or more, they have been sneaking up behind long-time employees, and tapping them on the shoulder, "You're RIF'd". One security guard will escort you out, and another will clean out your personal belongings.
    6. They moved to matrix management. I was given 17 employees who I did not know and was told to do their performance review! I had to email each employee to find out who their day to day manager was, and then email the forms for that person to do the review. Almost all my people were given "Does Not Meet Expectations". Luckily, I had time to rewrite their reviews. My VP said all employees had to A) describe how they positively affected CSC's bottom line. So I had to call/email all employees to ask them what they did to make CSC money (besides diligently work the contract and bring in profit and revenue). I was able to have all my emps receive a Meets or an Exceeds rating. However, they still received no pay increase.
    7. Senior mgmt had decreed that 15% of employees shall receive a Does Not Meet Expectations, 40% shall receive Partially Meets Expectations, 35% shall receive Meets Expectations, and no more than 10% shall receive Exceeds Expectations. If this isn't illegal, it's certainly a great way to reduce morale.
    8. Small things that seem to be just to annoy employees - no holiday parties, no more employee-recognition (used to have a banquet every 5 years for employees with 25+ years with CSC), tightened "open space" (no offices nor even cubicles);
    I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

CSC was a GREAT place to work until the 2000's, then progressively became worse and worse.

Mike Lawrie: Please Leave!!!
    Board of Directors: Please Leave!!!

Computer Sciences Corp Photos