Computer Sciences Corp

2.7
2,975 Reviews

Computer Sciences Corp President & CEO Mike Lawrie
Mike Lawrie

Pros
  • Very good work-life balance (as long as they keep you on the payrolls), good pay (in 299 reviews)

• The opportunity to work from home "IF" it was written in the initial contract (in 116 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance advertised as being important when in reality it should be work (in 53 reviews)

• Very bad senior management, dont even have ethics or know to speak proper English (in 89 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a company anyone would want to work for - there is no ZERO star rating

Current Employee - Partner
    Current Employee - Partner

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with CSC for 7 years now. The PROS of the company are:
    - they pay very well
    - they HAD a lot of very skilled consultants

Cons

The bad far outnumbers the good
    - Their "turn around" is failed - seems to be a revolving door of executives that stay a few months and then leave, and conflicting oscillating priorities
    - Continual layoffs
    - Employee morale that has hit rock bottom
    - They keep messing with benefits - stopping vacation accrual carryover, need to take all "legacy" accrued vacation by end of year or you lose it (or they'll pay you 40 cents on the dollar for it...) 401K match only paid out annually - and you must be an active employee to be paid out. When they realized that forcing people to take all of their accrued vacation was impacting revenue.... their response was "work/bill more"
    - cannot land new clients
    - has lost focus on what matters most - the employees, Without highly skilled employees nothing in their turn around plan will work

Focus on your employees - respect them and treat them like the valuable assets they are
    Stop being a "body shop" Hire and retain skilled employees instead of looking to staff to job reqs. If you want to be a consulting organization - be a consulting organization instead of a staffing agency
    Stop all of the failed turn around nonsense. You are focusing on one time accounting sleight of hand instead of making meaningful changes
    Dump Lawrie - he has proven he doesn't have what it takes to lead this company on anything except the wrong path

A new direction from decades past -- Offshore centric and initiatives that reduce employee moralle

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My experience with CSC was that it generally has flexible hours, and mostly good, hard working people. The work is challenging and rewarding.

Cons

Offshoring, Greed, and other somewhat strange upper management initiatives have steadily eroded morale around the company. Vacation accrual suspension, mandated time-off. Seems like more and more work for fewer and fewer people.

Treat your employees with more respect, not like commodities.

Behind the CSC Curtain

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

The employees are experienced, talented and often underappreciated. Many move on to greener pastures with other companies.

Cons

Employees are just a number affecting the bottom line. Constant revolving door of management. Due to the antiquated forced distribution raise system, most employees do not receive a promotional increase yet leadership continues to collect millions off the backs of those who actually perform the work. Many fear when the next layoff is coming - they will be replaced by younger, lower salaried hires. Also, the Company tends to oversell and under deliver its offerings due to lack of resource pool. Rumors of buyout continue.

Analogy: You can only cut your grocery bill so much before you either starve, become malnourished or fade away to nothing.

Like my work, dislike my company

Current Employee - Senior Scientist
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

The benefits of working here really depend on the contract you're working under. There are some interesting projects - including mine - that can be really professionally rewarding, and many of the non-managerial people, at least that I work with, are engaged and motivated. I think the higher your level of expertise, the more worthwhile it would be working for this contractor. The more specialized your knowledge, and therefore the more control you have over your work assignments, the better. If you're just one of the rank and file, then the situation would be very different.

Cons

There is very little good to say about the company itself. They don't really *do* anything, they hire people to do things and then scoop off a portion of everyone's salary. That's how contracting works. CSC is in the middle of an attempted turnaround, having hired a CEO to goose their stock price (and his compensation is based on annual percent gains in stock price), and they've been doing this primarily by improving margins by cutting benefits and by pushing everyone to go out and get more business, in addition to doing your actual job. The list of indignities employees have had to put up with in the past few years is too extensive to list, but includes a Draconian (and nonsensical) assessment/wage increase policy, constant changes in health benefits, changes to vacation policy (aimed at getting vacation days off the books and thus forcing employees to take vacations on specified days and reducing vacation accumulation and carryover). There has been much disaffection amongst the ranks, and I know a number of people who have either left or are actively looking for ways out. I get the feeling that there's little room for advancement, and there's pretty much a cap on salaries these days, and there's very little support (or tolerance!) for professional growth within the company. I'm pretty much outside of all of this because of the highly specialized nature of my work, but still the general malaise is hard to ignore. Bottom line is that unless there is specific work on a specific contract that you're really like to be doing, you probably don't want to work here.

It would be nice if management showed just a tiny bit of respect and decency when dealing with employees. The review process is a joke, the constant whittling away of benefits is insulting, and the way we seem to be tossed off to a new health insurer/401k management firm every year or two makes it seem like we're just so much chattel. Management is obviously focused on share price, not employees (or even quality of work), and I think everyone in the trenches assumes we're being readied for a sale. This might be an excellent way for a turn-around pro like our CEO to pocket seven figures a year in a hurry, but it's really not a way to run a business if there's any intention of continuing in the long term.

SAP

Former Employee - SAP
    Former Employee - SAP

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Professional, Large SAP landscape. Fairly aggressive with SAP solutions

Cons

Lots of offshore IT resources and increasing. So it's only a matter of time until your position might be offshore as well.

Bring more work on shore to guarantee better quality and timely results

Good overall experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is considerate of your needs and therefore a good company to work for. Client pressures will force any company to push their employees a bit, but CSC tries hard to strike a balance and give its employees a good overall experience.

Cons

I really HATE the appraisal process! It is a process I think every company should do away with!

The way to encourage employees to stay would be to provide more perks! The perks are barely there in CSC, which is a way of cost-cutting. But I believe if there is more intent to provide employees with benefits that other organizations dont care to, CSC could be considered one of the top firms in India as well. I loved the work and exposure I received at CSC, but there has to be more perks for employees to be loyal to a company, because if the company doesn't go the extra mile for its employees, the employees too will not.

take the good with the bad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers are awesome good benefits

Cons

drastic changes making good worker leave

Middle of the road; little room for advancement

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

Working from home most of the time - in my office at least. CSC is worldwide so I am sure not every structure is the same. Okay benefits.

Cons

No raises for anyone in my department this year and apparently we're graded on a pretty steep bell curve. They did offer two weeks vacation, however due to a new policy enacted this year you MUST take five of those days during a company mandated christmas break.

Big-time consulting opportunities.

Former Employee - Principal Consultant
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Loved working in the Federal sector. Army is a great client, lots of long-term opportunities. Many fine fellow consultants.

Cons

Company has cut back on benefits and now treats employees poorly. Global re-organization to streamline company resulted in a lot of cost-cutting. Still an old boys network.

Take care of your employees. They are the reason you make money. There is more to compensation than an ok base salary.

Decent company, great employees, incompetent leadership

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good client base. If you are good, you will get placed at a a client. Lots of things to learn from client projects. CSC is heavy in staff augmented model

Cons

Useless leadership right from the CEO. The CEO is just a turn around guy who understand cost cutting but doesnt have experience in growing a business. Hence all good middle management is gone and now there are incompetent leaders left who just care of zero bench policy or operating income on staff augmentation.

Better to get sold to industry leaders in IT. Unless you change the CEO this company is in the dark with a high attrition.

Computer Sciences Corp Photos