Computer Sciences Corp

2.7
2,853 Reviews

Computer Sciences Corp President & CEO Mike Lawrie
Mike Lawrie

Pros
  • Very good work-life balance (as long as they keep you on the payrolls), good pay (in 280 reviews)

• The opportunity to work from home "IF" it was written in the initial contract (in 113 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance advertised as being important when in reality it should be work (in 52 reviews)

• Very bad senior management, dont even have ethics or know to speak proper English (in 86 reviews)

More Highlights

Great People - Difficult Environment

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Denver, CO

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked with highly motivated and wonderful colleagues and managers. This was a good team environment with people helping each other grow in skills and meet deadlines. The last reorg was a good thing, at least for streamlining the organization: you knew who your management chain was.

Cons

New CSC HR policies (forced ranking, managed vacation, expensive benefits, very limited raises, etc.) are making it difficult to keep people, even college hires. Low pay for high responsibility: don't expect a jump in pay when promoted.

If you treat your employees as numbers, you will have a difficult time improving your bottom line beyond a certain point. There must be a balance between managing for growth and taking care of your employees, who will help you grow your company.

First 4 years = Great! Last 5 years = DISMAL!

Former Employee - Program Management Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Management Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Management was very understanding when it came to family leave and taking vacation time. Education compensation will be granted IF you are taking classes in a career field that is directly related to your job. Has an alliance with Strayer University to take classes and certifications. Great employee perks and medical coverage is pretty fair (though how much you pay is based on salary).

Cons

Where do I begin. TONS of nepotism is going on at CSC. It's hard to move elsewhere in the company since they have terminated programs like the "Employee Reassignment Services." If you work on a contract, like I did you have to deal with conflicting direction from gov't and CSC PMs when it comes to policy on leave, holidays, and vacations. Incompetent people running the programs that mismanage the funding and then in turn have to lay off people to compensate for their lack of knowledge in funding a program. The office culture is ok. Most people like their peers but hate all of the policies that corporate has passed down..i.e. Previously we could switch people from one contract to another if one of those contracts was ending. Now all employees must REAPPLY for a position that they already held in a company even if it's to move within the same job AND directorate, once a contract has ended.

They could consider changing their policies on leave instead of moving to force everyone to take all of their leave in one calendar year.

Also, the new way of conducting performance evaluations and raises leaves much to be desired. An outstanding employee would be rated as middle of the road since, corporate has mandated that you "obviously can't be that great" and makes all lower management grade us on a bell curve. If you're in that top 10% you get a raise...if not - NOTHING. I hadn't had a raise in 2 years and I scored extremely well compared to my peers on my evaluation. You must be ranked a "1" to garner a wage upgrade. You should pay and grade people according to their skills and contributions to the company - not as a statistic.

North American Public Sector - Downhill since joining in 2011

Current Employee - IT Consulting in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - IT Consulting in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- In the past several years I've worked with some great people and have to note that there are some very hardworking and talented individuals that I've come across at CSC
    - It's a job. To have a salaried job in our current economy is a good thing, and although I'd like to get paid better, I have to appreciate what I have.

Cons

- In the past several years, the company has undergone a large 'turnaround', at the expense of massive attrition, layoffs, and cost-cutting in the name of operational efficiency. Many of the older employees loyal to the company are leaving/getting let go and there are incentive programs to bring in less experienced consultants to replace them at lower operational cost to CSC.
    - This year, there is essentially no bonus structure, there were little to no raises, and the client-billable utilization rate was changed to 95% for all consultants. This - combined with a new vacation policy that encourages employees to 'bank' on PTO at 40% salary or only carry over 40 hours of vacation into the new year - makes holding onto or using vacation almost impossible if hoping to maintain your job. Performance reviews are conducted using a bell scale method with ratings from 1 - 4.
    - No flex travel. Company travel needs receipts for anything greater than $5 - expensing is tedious and takes too much time. No reward program for corporate AMEX card.
    - The company has recently (within the past week) been in the news about looking to sell the business, rumored to Blackstone LLC
    - Little to no training budget. There is internal IP and an internal 'CSC University' course portal, but not much allocated for more expensive professional certifications.
    - Take good care of your CSC-issued laptop! Most are budget models and it's not easy to get a new one.

Good luck!

Do the shuffle

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Really can't think of any...

Cons

Reorganized so many times it's difficult to try and even keep up with the structure and who's who, who do I work for, who's doing what, etc. I've been with the company for over seven years and over the past year I've been transferred and worked for four different managers...

Decent place to start your career in IT if you are a college grad or offshore

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers and direct report managers are great people to work with. In the beginning I was given the chance to work on many different projects across all levels of IT. This allowed me to learn everything from Solaris / Linux / WIN / VMWARE / SAN / Backups, etc.

Cons

Company has created PODS and each employee gets moved into a POD and will only work on that specific POD related job (ie. Solaris / Linux / WIN / VMWARE / SAN / Backups). So you no longer get the chance to learn all the latest and greatest out there, you are kind of pigeonholed into the Solaris POD or WIN POD, etc. Benefits have gone down hill every year. At this time the morale is very low with all employees due to the fact the company is forcing all employees in the US to relocate to Pittsburgh or Coppell TX and if you don't relocate you will need to cross train a new college grad offshore person your current job before you are laid off.

Please value your employees, they are not lawn furniture.

Federal Consulting Practice

Former Employee - Practice Principal in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Practice Principal in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay. They carried me on the bench s long as they could. If you are "client side facing" they pretty much leave you alone.

Cons

I was a "Practice Principal" in the FCP and as such I had HR responsibility for a number of personnel, but I also had to be client side facing because I had the skills to earn revenue for the practice. Although it was never stated directly, I was expected to work 60 or 70 hour weeks: 8 hours client side and another 4-6 hours at the office helping craft business strategies. And even doing this, I saw other managers (originally my peers when I was hired) be promoted over me because they didn't have any other skills other than sit in the office and attend meetings.

Drop the entire FCP. There are other, more mature companies in this space (Deloitte, Booz Allan, Accenture, KPMG, etc etc) and you can't realistically compete with them

Their Management "Trends" -- the rest of IT has already shown they stunt growth

Current Employee - Senior Testing Professional in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Testing Professional in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In the public sector not any pros I can think of. . . . we lost the last of them this year.

Cons

Instead of valuing their employees they are alienating them. Over 5 years they have become the worst employer I've ever worked for in my 13 years of IT employment. CSC used to be a proud name and one I was glad to be associated with. Instead under Mike Lawrie's direction, corporate wants us workers to suck it up and do more while he gets ready to retire with billions. The work load is more but the morale is in the gutter. Why are we bearing the failures of management on our backs? We're the ones who actually do the work! Google and Apple now offering egg preservation to their female employees? Ha! CSC's new benefit year is making it even less attractive to work here - no raises this year but of course the costs are going up 25-30% and the coverage is less.

There is very little accountability. The new management structure puts people under a "people manager" not involved in or knowledgeable of our daily work, and our program managers are business people focused on client relations but with little background in our technical field. Frustrating and inefficient. A lot of wheel spinning 'cause no one is really in charge. People get hired by managers who don't know how to assess technical skills. Drains the life right out of your ambitions to do a great job.

Listen to your rank and file: the people who used to be proud to carry your name. Loyalty should matter to my upper management and company executives, but apparently now they could care less. I am used to working hard with dedication and want to be proud of my employer.

You've lost my loyalty, and I am no longer such a dedicated employee. Several of my talented colleagues with years of service have already found new jobs. Keep it up. The people you hire to replace them will be likely be less skilled. See how that works for you.

Annoying

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, location and people

Cons

little to no pay increases.

Liked the work hated all the politics and bull

Current Employee - Senior Assistant Field Technician in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Assistant Field Technician in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work was great. Everything else was not

Cons

The politics and things were terrible.The processes we were forced to use were terrible. All the backend things for CSC are overseas and the language barrier gets involved.CSC bends over backwards to not cause any difficulty for the client at their employees expense. The managers that I had built Cessna planes and had zero idea what I did (IT)

Move everything backs to the US since your supposedly an American company so you can get all the government contracts

Tread carefully

Former Employee - Program Manager in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It was a good company to work for with many opportunities to work in several different capacities. It has given me the ability to grow from a Technical Architect to a Sales Business Development Manager. However, that was the old CSC. The new CSC is not as a attractive.

Cons

CSC is going through a total makeover. Every Friday, employees are waiting to hear if they will be escorted out of the building as part of an overall corporate makeover. I've worked with many different groups across commercial, federal and state government contracts over the past 14 years. I can safely say that I only know a handful of people who are still at CSC.

Settle down with the corporate makeover. Yes, you may be making the company attractive to Wall Street, but on the street, CSC has the worst reputation and CSC will not be able to attract the talent required to be competitive.

Computer Sciences Corp Photos