Computer Sciences Corp

Computer Sciences Corp President & CEO Mike Lawrie

Mike Lawrie

272 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best job I've had

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)
    Arlington, VA

Pros- Offices worldwide
    - Endless opportunities
    - Ability to transfer
    - Thriving business
    - Relatively stable, depending on which business unit you are attached to
    - Great pay & benefits
    - Professional work environment

Cons- Restructuring of business model can become stressful for employees
    - "Last one in, first one out" mentality and not who does the job the best

Very good

Human Resources Professional (Current Employee)
    Falls Church, VA

ProsAble to move from group to group to maintain career goals

ConsAlways subject to lay offs

IT Project Manager

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Falls Church, VA

ProsYou can work from home is the only benefit.

ConsThis is the cheapest company. They treat employee very poorly. The good ole boys club get all the raises and perks. They lie to you and back stab you to help themselves. If you want a paycheck with no security or growth and bare minimum benefits that you pay for and not them, you can work here. This is the worst company I have ever worked for. They lie to their customer. It's as if all the rejects of IT professional all assembled at CSC and partying eating budget money. It is really disgusting .

Advice to Senior ManagementYou don't need any advice. Advise is given to those who care and are interested in change. You are only interested in lying to your employees and your customers. Shame on you and you are a disgrace to our profession.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Entry-Level experience

Billing Accountant (Current Employee)
    Falls Church, VA

ProsMy position at CSC has given me a "foot in the door" and allowed me to gain invaluable experience. I have a manager that is willing to teach anything that needs explaining, and he is very thorough.

ConsI have experienced inconsistency among my leadership regarding policies. Work-life balance can be difficult during the first couple months of the year.

My experience at CSC

Field Engineer (Former Employee)
    Falls Church, VA

ProsCSC is the place to be!

ConsGreat place to work for, good people, NO Cons

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your talented help and your team will shine!

Nice team

Programmer Analyst Lead (Former Employee)
    Chantilly, VA

ProsGood team and coworkers. Healthy work-life balance. Allow telecommute and flexible work hours.

ConsUnstable project contracts. Sometimes managers did not do their job to manage the team.

CSC - Big company that treats employees like temp agency resources. Run away!

Partner & Practice Director (Former Employee)
    Falls Church, VA

ProsAllows employees to work remotely. Good benefit given that many team members are disbursed across US. If you are recently out of college, you can get good experience because you will be overworked. You will get 2 years of experience in 1 year!

Glad I was laid off by CSC with 600 other employees. It gave me the opportunity to go work for a better company with better pay, better benefits, better culture.

ConsBenefits are terrible now. In 2013, CSC reduced the benefit coverage yet raised prices to employees at a higher level than companies of similar size. They also changed their 401K matching so that they will only contribute to your account at the end of the year. They do not match it as you contribute every pay period. The catch is if you aren't employed as of 12/31, they don't have to contribute 1 penny to your account.

Training, mentoring and true management of staff does not exist. Company is 55 years old but behaves as a start-up with no formal processes, templates or governance. Work is done by heroic efforts rather than having defined plans and adequate staffing. Company will lay off (they call it a reduction in force) any employee who is not billable to direct clients regardless of your previous success or expertise. Employees are treated like temp agency bodies. I am not a disgruntled former employee. I wish no malice but this company's credibility is quickly eroding due to inability to win new contracts or keep existing contracts. Good employees are actively looking to jump off of this sinking ship. Sorry to say all this. But hopefully it will keep new candidate employees from thinking they are going to work for a 1st class organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementI worked with the VPs and executive team. They were polite, political and paralyzed. Their ability to have a vision and develop a strategy to execute was non-existent. Its the good old boys network. Employees were overworked and received on average 1.5% raises unless you were part of the good ole boys network. They advertise they provide training to obtain certifications and paid education reimbursement but once you're hired they tell you those benefits are temporarily suspended. Directors often say their VPs don't communicate with them so Directors feel they can't effectively lead their teams based on corporate direction.

Bureaucratic Mess

Applications Architect (Current Employee)
    Falls Church, VA

ProsCannot find any. Big Bureaucratic Organization. I couldn't find any thing that is positive about CSC except a few people.

ConsStay away if possible. No career growth. No training. Even a $19 power cord takes 7 levels of approvals.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees well

Company with no soul and consistent layoff year around

Director, Sales (Current Employee)
    Falls Church, VA

ProsBig corporate company with major bureaucracy

ConsUnannounced layoffs occur regularly (multiple times a month), no product investment no training - CSC is losing the edge in the market place. Management has little to do with managing people or products, its all about cost reduction to improve operating margin to please wall street.
    Employee are paid 0 bonus but leadership is giving $15 million bonus to themselves

Advice to Senior ManagementOne way to increase operating income is to increase revenue rather than just the cutting cost the easiest way by laying off people. Wall street is going to severely punish as soon as they are aware all cost cutting tricks are over and you guys can't increase revenue.

Better be unemployed than work for a company with no soul

Business Architect (Current Employee)
    Falls Church, VA

ProsLarge Corporate company with broken process

ConsManagement doesn't care about employees. The only thing they care is to find a way to cut cost. Benefits get worse every year (health insurance and 401 matching are all squeezed). Salaries are below industry standard and raises are practically nonexistent. No training or chances for career advancement. Good skilled employees who can find a job are quitting leaving outdated mediocre employees to stays. A-players don’t want to play with a bunch of C-players

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease Revenue rather than cutting cost (by laying off employees) to improve your operation margin!!!!!
    Also you've been laying off since 2013, now 2014. Can we stop? Employees morale is completely broken and soul is lost!!!!

Worked for Computer Sciences Corp? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Computer Sciences Corp reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Computer Sciences Corp CEO Mike Lawrie. All 272 reviews posted anonymously by Computer Sciences Corp employees.