Computer Sciences Corp

Computer Sciences Corp Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Computer Sciences Corp President & CEO Mike Lawrie

Mike Lawrie

Pros
  • I have been enjoying work-life balance for some time; but not sure how long I can continue this(in 237 reviews)

• The opportunity to work from home "IF" it was written in the initial contract(in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance advertised as being important when in reality it should be work(in 39 reviews)

• Very bad senior management, dont even have ethics or know to speak proper English(in 82 reviews)

276 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Inside Scoop on CSC

Director (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Pros- Long term employees are generally paid well
    - Location is generally good
    - Most people at operational level are nice to each other

Cons- Very unstable at the moment
    - Lots of movement at executive level
    - Aggressive cost cutting is affecting general employees' job satisfaction

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to create a strategy to keep talents. Service industry key to long term survival is talent.

CSC is a good company

Director (Current Employee) Falls Church, VA

ProsA large company that provides flexibility for job growth

ConsLoss of coverage will mean layoff

Large company that is not innovative

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI have found that the one positive attribute of CSC is that they offer salaries that align with the industry standard.

Because CSC is a global company, its workforce is located in many different places. Thus, each employees' experience will differ. I am speaking from the point of view of the US mid-atlantic market which relies heavily on federal government contracting.

Cons- You get lost in the shuffle because the company is so large. It is impossible to be promoted, recognized or grow with the type of structure and size of the company.
    - As a technologist, CSC is completely not innovative. In fact, they do not encourage a community of innovation and they do not invest in their employees. As a result, many technologists with current or cutting-edge skills have left or are considering leaving to pursue more interesting positions.
    - The benefits are decreasing. Over the past three years that I have been employed with CSC, major benefits were removed or reduced as cost cutting measures (one time CSC 401K contribution at the end of year, health costs increase; penalties if including spouse, mandatory end-of-year shut down where you use your own vacation, no raises in 2014, etc). Of course, a company needs to survive; however, such a severe and rapid reduction in benefits has severely decreased morale.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not what is once was...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Falls Church, VA

ProsExcellent work life balance, flexible hours, decent benefits, good people.

ConsContinuous shifts and reorgs. Too many Sr Managers and not enough doers. Inconsistent direction, each division was ran as a separate company.

June 2014 Review of CSC

Senior Technical Writer (Former Employee) New Carrollton, MD

ProsCSC had some really excellent managers, flexibility for time off (comp time), excellent benefits, and opportunities for free computer-based training.

ConsMany (most?) jobs in the federal government division are basically temporary because they are tied to a contract. When the contract ends, sometimes unexpectedly, you have to scramble to land on another contract. I did this successfully for many years until the well ran dry. Still looking for a new position after 6 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with your employees more.

Don't work here!

L&D (Former Employee) Falls Church, VA

ProsHad great line managers, loved most of my co-workers

ConsUpper mgt is constantly changing, no one stays at the C level long enough to make a difference, they don't really believe in an open door policy regardless of what they say, everyone is afraid for their jobs and no one can give their true opinion without fear of retaliation, was never paid commensurate with my education or yrs of experience

Turnaround Underway

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Falls Church, VA

ProsWell positioned to become important player in IT Transformation to a cloud model for enterprise and government.

ConsBig ship to turn and entrenched culture and incentives could slow progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the "new" customer-- the need to transition to IT-as-a-Service and do not perpetuate the business models and practices that got them in the trouble in the first place.

Good work poor management

Integration Engineer (Former Employee) Merrifield, VA

ProsGood training opportunities. Liked what I was doing, good work to personal life balance and they seem to try to hang on to people

ConsI worked for this company on two different programs. They are more of a help desk organization. The management did not treat me well to the point that HR took note. Management spent more time trying to discredit the the COTR and myself than trying to get the work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on your people skills. Get a clue who you work for

Questionable ethics, inept management

Project Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsAggressive at bidding on and winning contracts in the federal sector. Initial salary was very good, better than expected. Employees at the mid level and below are often committed and hard-working.

ConsSenior management engaging in unethical practices and constant CYA, including discrimination and contract violations. No flexible work arrangement. No work-life balance. No opportunity for advancement, unless you are part of the good old boys club.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of laying off or letting some of the best people walk out the door, I would cut, at a minimum, 15% of your senior management team. Start with retirement offers and then move on to more aggressive tactics, especially at 10th and G Street in Washington, D.C. Those guys are a joke.

DONT DO IT!

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Falls Church, VA

ProsTuition Reimbursement is pretty high compared to other companies who either don't offer it, or offer the government write-off maximum of $5K/year.

ConsCompany is an absolute mess both organizationally & financially. Financially - they "strongly suggested' employees take vacation in order to rectify their balance sheets and now they are forcing employees to take 5 of their measly 10 vacation days during Christmas. They also forced employees to cancel pre-paid flights and hotel rooms for an annual conference to save money. Organizationally - there is no HR directory of people and their roles, no org chart past level 4, no consistency on how things are done, it is CHAOS! There are also many under-performers that are never addressed. The work is piled on the performers instead.

Also, they are an IT company that uses outdated hardware and also technology (LOTUS NOTES!)

Advice to Senior ManagementFind other ways to balance your budget than to force employees to take vacation, and give us more than 10 days of vacation. Force your business units to use the same processes and standards to breed efficiency. Get rid of under-performers - they hold others back and there is too much of a mess to fix.

Worked for Computer Sciences Corp? Contribute to the Community!