Computer Sciences Corp

336 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Good

Current Contractor - Programmer Analyst Leader in Falls Church, VA
    Current Contractor - Programmer Analyst Leader in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Professional environment and professional people to work with

Cons

Heavy competition for growth in the organization

Run don't walk away

Current Employee - Work Guy in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Work Guy in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pockets of good employees who remember legendary good old days when this was a decent place to work and stick around out of a sense of misplaced loyalty, inertia or general mental defect. It's been a good education in how not to do things. (That may sound sarcastic, but it's not.)

Cons

This place is completely toxic. Business is deteriorating and management can't pull the company out of the nosedive. Result is endless cost cutting, always at the expense of the employees, particularly in the US. Employees are viewed with utter contempt. Fortunately there's *just* enough profit to richly compensate CEO, CFO and a select few others.

Some ideas to win back employees: align mgmt and employee incentive schemes - if employees aren't getting bonuses/raises, neither should execs; cancel the needless mandatory holiday shut down for next year; acknowledge when something you've done is a failure; hire someone who can be an advocate for employees - the current lapdog HR dept has zero credibility. You can't be a successful consulting and outsourcing compamy with an unmotivated, resentful workforce and you have a very short runway to win them back.

Great while it lasted

Current Employee - Staff Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Staff Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great team members who are dedicated to excelling at their jobs and making for a fun challenging work environment. At least this was my experience most of the time. With consulting this is likely to change often. Co-workers are generally very helpful and follow a team mentality to accomplishing goals.

Cons

The company is constantly re-organizing to the point it's become a joke. At least that's the perception at the lower levels. Employees don't even know their titles or standing within the company. After several years I became disenfranchised with the larger organization

Reviewers should always be on the same project, contract, or site as the employee they are reviewing. It's not helpful to be rated and reviewed by someone who has only met you once or twice.

Used to be a Good Company

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company used to be a good company and treat their employees well and it has changed drastically. Depending on the project, you may be able to work remotely.

Cons

This company used to treat their employees well. Now they only give 2 weeks of vacation and employees are forced to take 1 week on days designated by the company. You are only allowed to carry over 1 week of vacation time. A lot of skilled people are leaving for greener pasture.

You are going to end up with offshore employees or inexperienced employees if you continue to take away benefits.

Federal Consulting Practice

Former Employee - Practice Principal in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Practice Principal in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay. They carried me on the bench s long as they could. If you are "client side facing" they pretty much leave you alone.

Cons

I was a "Practice Principal" in the FCP and as such I had HR responsibility for a number of personnel, but I also had to be client side facing because I had the skills to earn revenue for the practice. Although it was never stated directly, I was expected to work 60 or 70 hour weeks: 8 hours client side and another 4-6 hours at the office helping craft business strategies. And even doing this, I saw other managers (originally my peers when I was hired) be promoted over me because they didn't have any other skills other than sit in the office and attend meetings.

Drop the entire FCP. There are other, more mature companies in this space (Deloitte, Booz Allan, Accenture, KPMG, etc etc) and you can't realistically compete with them

Tread carefully

Former Employee - Program Manager in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It was a good company to work for with many opportunities to work in several different capacities. It has given me the ability to grow from a Technical Architect to a Sales Business Development Manager. However, that was the old CSC. The new CSC is not as a attractive.

Cons

CSC is going through a total makeover. Every Friday, employees are waiting to hear if they will be escorted out of the building as part of an overall corporate makeover. I've worked with many different groups across commercial, federal and state government contracts over the past 14 years. I can safely say that I only know a handful of people who are still at CSC.

Settle down with the corporate makeover. Yes, you may be making the company attractive to Wall Street, but on the street, CSC has the worst reputation and CSC will not be able to attract the talent required to be competitive.

North American Public Sector - Downhill since joining in 2011

Current Employee - IT Consulting in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - IT Consulting in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- In the past several years I've worked with some great people and have to note that there are some very hardworking and talented individuals that I've come across at CSC
    - It's a job. To have a salaried job in our current economy is a good thing, and although I'd like to get paid better, I have to appreciate what I have.

Cons

- In the past several years, the company has undergone a large 'turnaround', at the expense of massive attrition, layoffs, and cost-cutting in the name of operational efficiency. Many of the older employees loyal to the company are leaving/getting let go and there are incentive programs to bring in less experienced consultants to replace them at lower operational cost to CSC.
    - This year, there is essentially no bonus structure, there were little to no raises, and the client-billable utilization rate was changed to 95% for all consultants. This - combined with a new vacation policy that encourages employees to 'bank' on PTO at 40% salary or only carry over 40 hours of vacation into the new year - makes holding onto or using vacation almost impossible if hoping to maintain your job. Performance reviews are conducted using a bell scale method with ratings from 1 - 4.
    - No flex travel. Company travel needs receipts for anything greater than $5 - expensing is tedious and takes too much time. No reward program for corporate AMEX card.
    - The company has recently (within the past week) been in the news about looking to sell the business, rumored to Blackstone LLC
    - Little to no training budget. There is internal IP and an internal 'CSC University' course portal, but not much allocated for more expensive professional certifications.
    - Take good care of your CSC-issued laptop! Most are budget models and it's not easy to get a new one.

Good luck!

Vice President Human Resources

Current Employee - Vice President Human Resources in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Vice President Human Resources in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are no "Pros" to working for CSC as a HR Executive

Cons

Leadership is focused on reducing headcount, no interest in keeping expereinced employees, forced ranking of employees.

End focus on cost reductions based on elimination of higher salary employees

Company was an amazing employer until they disbanded the consulting practice

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, good salary, lots of autonomy.

Cons

New CEO stripping benefits left and right and froze pay in 2014.

Improving shareholder value on the backs of employees is not a long term solution.

Good Benefits and Flexible Work Environment

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Leave accumulation for 15yrs + of service
    Medical Benefits
    401K
    Diversity
    Team member Support
    Competitive salaries

Cons

Lots of re-organization as of late
    Questions marks regarding future

Involve employees more in decision making
    share more information regarding future plans

Computer Sciences Corp Photos