Computer Sciences Corp

2.7
2,828 Reviews

Computer Sciences Corp President & CEO Mike Lawrie
Mike Lawrie

Pros
  • Very good work-life balance (as long as they keep you on the payrolls), good pay (in 276 reviews)

• The opportunity to work from home "IF" it was written in the initial contract (in 112 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance advertised as being important when in reality it should be work (in 51 reviews)

• Very bad senior management, dont even have ethics or know to speak proper English (in 86 reviews)

More Highlights

305 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

CSC is a good company

Current Employee - Director in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A large company that provides flexibility for job growth

Cons

Loss of coverage will mean layoff

Large company that is not innovative

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have found that the one positive attribute of CSC is that they offer salaries that align with the industry standard.

Because CSC is a global company, its workforce is located in many different places. Thus, each employees' experience will differ. I am speaking from the point of view of the US mid-atlantic market which relies heavily on federal government contracting.

Cons

- You get lost in the shuffle because the company is so large. It is impossible to be promoted, recognized or grow with the type of structure and size of the company.
    - As a technologist, CSC is completely not innovative. In fact, they do not encourage a community of innovation and they do not invest in their employees. As a result, many technologists with current or cutting-edge skills have left or are considering leaving to pursue more interesting positions.
    - The benefits are decreasing. Over the past three years that I have been employed with CSC, major benefits were removed or reduced as cost cutting measures (one time CSC 401K contribution at the end of year, health costs increase; penalties if including spouse, mandatory end-of-year shut down where you use your own vacation, no raises in 2014, etc). Of course, a company needs to survive; however, such a severe and rapid reduction in benefits has severely decreased morale.

Don't work here!

Former Employee - L&D in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - L&D in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Had great line managers, loved most of my co-workers

Cons

Upper mgt is constantly changing, no one stays at the C level long enough to make a difference, they don't really believe in an open door policy regardless of what they say, everyone is afraid for their jobs and no one can give their true opinion without fear of retaliation, was never paid commensurate with my education or yrs of experience

June 2014 Review of CSC

Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in New Carrollton, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in New Carrollton, MD

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

CSC had some really excellent managers, flexibility for time off (comp time), excellent benefits, and opportunities for free computer-based training.

Cons

Many (most?) jobs in the federal government division are basically temporary because they are tied to a contract. When the contract ends, sometimes unexpectedly, you have to scramble to land on another contract. I did this successfully for many years until the well ran dry. Still looking for a new position after 6 months.

Communicate with your employees more.

Turnaround Underway

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Well positioned to become important player in IT Transformation to a cloud model for enterprise and government.

Cons

Big ship to turn and entrenched culture and incentives could slow progress.

Focus on the "new" customer-- the need to transition to IT-as-a-Service and do not perpetuate the business models and practices that got them in the trouble in the first place.

Questionable ethics, inept management

Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Aggressive at bidding on and winning contracts in the federal sector. Initial salary was very good, better than expected. Employees at the mid level and below are often committed and hard-working.

Cons

Senior management engaging in unethical practices and constant CYA, including discrimination and contract violations. No flexible work arrangement. No work-life balance. No opportunity for advancement, unless you are part of the good old boys club.

Instead of laying off or letting some of the best people walk out the door, I would cut, at a minimum, 15% of your senior management team. Start with retirement offers and then move on to more aggressive tactics, especially at 10th and G Street in Washington, D.C. Those guys are a joke.

Good work poor management

Former Employee - Integration Engineer in Merrifield, VA
    Former Employee - Integration Engineer in Merrifield, VA

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good training opportunities. Liked what I was doing, good work to personal life balance and they seem to try to hang on to people

Cons

I worked for this company on two different programs. They are more of a help desk organization. The management did not treat me well to the point that HR took note. Management spent more time trying to discredit the the COTR and myself than trying to get the work done.

Work on your people skills. Get a clue who you work for

DONT DO IT!

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time

Pros

Tuition Reimbursement is pretty high compared to other companies who either don't offer it, or offer the government write-off maximum of $5K/year.

Cons

Company is an absolute mess both organizationally & financially. Financially - they "strongly suggested' employees take vacation in order to rectify their balance sheets and now they are forcing employees to take 5 of their measly 10 vacation days during Christmas. They also forced employees to cancel pre-paid flights and hotel rooms for an annual conference to save money. Organizationally - there is no HR directory of people and their roles, no org chart past level 4, no consistency on how things are done, it is CHAOS! There are also many under-performers that are never addressed. The work is piled on the performers instead.

Also, they are an IT company that uses outdated hardware and also technology (LOTUS NOTES!)

Find other ways to balance your budget than to force employees to take vacation, and give us more than 10 days of vacation. Force your business units to use the same processes and standards to breed efficiency. Get rid of under-performers - they hold others back and there is too much of a mess to fix.

Worst company I've ever worked for… by far.

Current Employee - Sales in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Sales in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High base salary helps keep the lights on.

Cons

Totally disorganized. Management completely out of touch with reality. Company full of people who like to talk, but don't do anything. Outside of the CEO, the senior leadership is weak. There is no sales culture. No one has the authority to make a decision without a committee of 30 people reviewing an opportunity. Comp plan does not incentivize the behavior the company seeks. Benefits (including vacation allowance) are terrible.

Stop hiring more managers (especially from stagnant, dying companies) and hire more competent, hungry sales & pre-sales support people to drive change in this company. Empower the field if you truly want to drive sales. Eliminate the committees and all of the redundant & unnecessary processes that inhibit sales. Provide offerings that are relevant and price competitive in the market, and that can be delivered. The 2-weeks vacation policy for the first 5 years of employment is a complete joke and totally out of touch with the market… change it. Tying company OI and customer satisfaction to individual sales compensation is asinine too. No good salesperson will want to come to CSC unless drastic changes are made.

Not for me

Current Employee - Profession Technical Support in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Profession Technical Support in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Finding an expedient method find a better job.

Cons

- No increase in pay
    - Increase is workload
    - Managers who have no clue or idea on how to manage operations properly
    - The overall project I work is just bad, horrid, and loaded with incompetence.

I hold contempt for some managers, in the few months of my employment at this company, I learned what ‘NOT’ to do when I become a manager.

Computer Sciences Corp Photos