Computer Sciences Corp

2.7
2,615 Reviews

Computer Sciences Corp President & CEO Mike Lawrie
Mike Lawrie

Pros
  • I have been enjoying work-life balance for some time; but not sure how long I can continue this (in 243 reviews)

• The opportunity to work from home "IF" it was written in the initial contract (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance advertised as being important when in reality it should be work (in 40 reviews)

• Very bad senior management, dont even have ethics or know to speak proper English (in 84 reviews)

More Highlights

288 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Experience! Learned a lot.

Former Employee - Computer Programmer Intern  in  Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Computer Programmer Intern in Alexandria, VA

Pros

-Weekly seminars on career advancement and current technologies for interns
    -Great atmosphere
    -Solid Salary for an internship
    -Co-workers and upper management were very helpful with any questions
    -Got my own office

Cons

-Did not get to work with any other interns since I was with a smaller division
    -Felt a little overwhelmed at the end of my internship due to some pressure of finishing an updated version 2 of my project.

CSC

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Large Company with the ability to learn different area of the business

Cons

Salary structure has been negatively affected by upper management. Many people have been placed into pay grades where the max salary is below their current salary.

Treat your employees as people and e not just a number

The extreme bell curve instituted in Feb of 2014 resulted in my resignation, I would not be a part of that.

Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager  in  Largo, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Largo, MD

Pros

Nothing since Mike Lawrie came to the company. He has taken a community of dedicated employees to a shell of a business. Cuts do not create prosperity. Top performers are leaving in droves.

Cons

Everything, CSC no longer exists as it once had. The extreme bell curve requires at least 40% of employees to be subpar. Lawrie came from IBM, a commercial company. He and his consultants, along with the idiots he brought with him know nothing about the government contracting side of the business, which brings in hundreds of millions in revenue each year. What gov't agency would award contracts to a company that has 40% of their employees not meeting expectations. These dedicated people do not deserve to be part of this destructive game.

Get rid of Mike Lawrie.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Keep searching and don't settle here.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA

Pros

Flexible work schedule and telecommuting option if your manager approves.

Cons

After interviewing with several companies I accepted and started at CSC less than a year ago. During that time I got a new senior manager, new director and new VP. My job description completely changed and I was given a low rating because 'the department under performed' and not me. I was given no notice and layoff because they were told to cut staff and I was one if the newest members. Only 10 days vacation and no exception below director level.

Only paying attention to cost is going to bite you in the end.

Very good

Current Employee - Human Resources Professional  in  Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Falls Church, VA

Pros

Able to move from group to group to maintain career goals

Cons

Always subject to lay offs

IT Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Falls Church, VA

Pros

You can work from home is the only benefit.

Cons

This is the cheapest company. They treat employee very poorly. The good ole boys club get all the raises and perks. They lie to you and back stab you to help themselves. If you want a paycheck with no security or growth and bare minimum benefits that you pay for and not them, you can work here. This is the worst company I have ever worked for. They lie to their customer. It's as if all the rejects of IT professional all assembled at CSC and partying eating budget money. It is really disgusting .

You don't need any advice. Advise is given to those who care and are interested in change. You are only interested in lying to your employees and your customers. Shame on you and you are a disgrace to our profession.

CSC - Big company that treats employees like temp agency resources. Run away!

Former Employee - Partner & Practice Director  in  Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Partner & Practice Director in Falls Church, VA

Pros

Allows employees to work remotely. Good benefit given that many team members are disbursed across US. If you are recently out of college, you can get good experience because you will be overworked. You will get 2 years of experience in 1 year!

Glad I was laid off by CSC with 600 other employees. It gave me the opportunity to go work for a better company with better pay, better benefits, better culture.

Cons

Benefits are terrible now. In 2013, CSC reduced the benefit coverage yet raised prices to employees at a higher level than companies of similar size. They also changed their 401K matching so that they will only contribute to your account at the end of the year. They do not match it as you contribute every pay period. The catch is if you aren't employed as of 12/31, they don't have to contribute 1 penny to your account.

Training, mentoring and true management of staff does not exist. Company is 55 years old but behaves as a start-up with no formal processes, templates or governance. Work is done by heroic efforts rather than having defined plans and adequate staffing. Company will lay off (they call it a reduction in force) any employee who is not billable to direct clients regardless of your previous success or expertise. Employees are treated like temp agency bodies. I am not a disgruntled former employee. I wish no malice but this company's credibility is quickly eroding due to inability to win new contracts or keep existing contracts. Good employees are actively looking to jump off of this sinking ship. Sorry to say all this. But hopefully it will keep new candidate employees from thinking they are going to work for a 1st class organization.

I worked with the VPs and executive team. They were polite, political and paralyzed. Their ability to have a vision and develop a strategy to execute was non-existent. Its the good old boys network. Employees were overworked and received on average 1.5% raises unless you were part of the good ole boys network. They advertise they provide training to obtain certifications and paid education reimbursement but once you're hired they tell you those benefits are temporarily suspended. Directors often say their VPs don't communicate with them so Directors feel they can't effectively lead their teams based on corporate direction.

Disorganized place to work

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

Hours flexibility; caliber of colleagues was excellent

Cons

Penny-ante mindset - employees had to buy hand soap for the kitchen and hangers for closets; paid time off for new employees is bare bones; benefits erode each year; major problems dealing with the health care providers (I truly believe you get what you pay for most of the time and they must not be paying much); 401k matching changes implemented this year had only one objective - screw the employees; no training; aloof/unfriendly management; very much a daily grind; implementation of policy subject to manager whim; non-existent HR department; onboarding process was unlike anything I'd ever seen before - I was essentially on my own; went through phases when coming to work felt like coming to a sweat shop

get to know some of the people who are actually doing tthe work and earning your bonus for you; invest in your people - provide training

Bureaucratic Mess

Current Employee - Applications Architect  in  Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Applications Architect in Falls Church, VA

Pros

Cannot find any. Big Bureaucratic Organization. I couldn't find any thing that is positive about CSC except a few people.

Cons

Stay away if possible. No career growth. No training. Even a $19 power cord takes 7 levels of approvals.

Treat employees well

It's a confusing (and confused) company right now

Current Employee - Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

some good people to work with - at worker bee level

Cons

constant threat of layoff
    lack of updated policies and org charts post transformation - no one knows work flow
    2 in a box = no one really responsible
    little or no merit increases, regardless of merit
    management mentality of "it's never enough"
    no investment in its own infrastructure. If it costs money, you can't have it

No one is listening, so why bother. If Lawrie's end game is to sell all or part of the company, just get on with it.

Worked for Computer Sciences Corp? Contribute to the Community!