Computer Sciences Corp Reviews

• Washington, DC
2.5
Computer Sciences Corp President & CEO Mike Lawrie
Mike Lawrie

1. The company is disorganized, does not pay well, provided poor training, but was good experience for your first job.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked with numerous consultants who had years of experience and so much to teach you. Gain experience working with various useful applications.

Cons

Some weeks you will have nothing to do, while others you may be working OT. The company is huge so its structure is extremely disorganized so good luck asking HR for any help. The month of training they provided me was completely useless and I ended up getting assigned to a project on a role that did not use most of the training provided.

Wall Street valued over employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have the ability to tele-work and there is a paycheck, not much else.

Cons

As a manager, I have been told how I can and cannot evaluate my employees. The company is trying to avoid giving raises to the rank and file and keep the money for upper management. It will be very difficult for me to keep valuable, hardworking employees when I have to devalue their work efforts to make those in Falls Church, VA happy. The only reason I have not left CSC, is I am nearing retirement. My work is devalued. I have not received a raise in three years.

The cost of healthcare has risen to a point where most employees can no longer afford to sign up. There are 80,000 employees working for CSC. That should put you in an excellent position to negotiate costs with insurance providers.

Advice to Management

Employees are your greatest asset and need to be treated as such. Instead we are treated like we are a nuisance and to just be tolerated. If you have happy and engaged employees interacting with industry and customers, the company will grow and be profitable for everyone not just a few!

3. Supervisory Logistics Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are only pros if you work for the Health Sector. Stay away from the Defense Sector.

Cons

There are no people of color in management, nor are there any women. Management (the men) will use the resumes of highly qualified women in proposals and attach men's names to them in order to win contracts. CSC will use their best employees (minorities and women) as beasts of burden, working 10-12 hours a day without compensation or notoriety, giving promotions to men or those who will sleep with management. It's nothing for a minority to be called a slur and the offending employee to go free without punishment. All of this happens in the defense sector!!!

Advice to Management

Become ethical and humanistic employers. Employees don't respect you because you don't respect yourselves. You demonstrate an air of demonistic selfishness and egomania. The only time you understand you realize that you have employees is when you're assigned a tasked that you don't want to perform. Then you give it to your employees to do with unrealistic parameters and deadlines. Start respecting your empolyees and if you can't, make them management. Right now you stink at it!!!!!!!

Was good until Lawrie arrived. Lawrie and Layoff are practically synonyms.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not many pros. Many of the improvements made by corporate are long-overdue changes that just bring things forward to 21st century minimums. The multi-year restructuring appears to finally be settling down.

Cons

Many of the corporate processes have significant room for improvement.
    The most recent and significant change which is the most detrimental to the employees and company is the staffing process. The changes made this past summer have resulted in most employees having great difficulty getting a new project assignment in a timely manner, let alone one that is strategically aligned with their skills, and of a long enough duration to avoid remaining on the RIF list. The GlobalSource system is a broken process. There is no workflow, to track the application to a staffing requisition, nor any business rules to ensure that a timely response is provided from hiring managers to internal candidates. Internal manager-to-manager communications advocating for an employee also go unanswered often. The most common end result is Reduction-In-Force (layoff). The number of employees in need of an assignment has been less than the number of open requisitions in the past year, so the problem is not a shortage of work.
    The second most significant shortfall is compensation and promotions. Compensation has been flat for most people in the past three years. The annual employee appraisal process and model is poor at best, compounded by using a recently instituted bell-curve scoring.
    Third, the financial tight-fistedness that shines through in many corporate decisions makes it obvious that financial performance is taking precedence over any common sense, regardless of cost, without cost-benefit analysis. The changes made effective July 5 2014 were not ethical, specifically in regard to forcing employees to use vacation leave for company shutdown purposes. Also, the particulars of paying out the cash value of unused vacation hours is highly questionable.
    There are lots of other issues, but those three are the majors ones that should be seriously considered by the executives for how to turn the company around and begin to regain the trust of long-time employees. Until then folks are going to continue leaving until the identity of CSC has evaporated. The revolving door has spun so fast with personnel coming and going in the psat couple years, that it has blown away, the exit door is wide open 24 hours a day.

Advice to Management

Employees have been rumoring about sale of the company ever since Mike Lawrie became CEO. If the plan is to sell, then move forwards and sell. It is painful to watch the loyal employees than have more tenure than the CEO continue to suffer with the operating model that is behaving like a wounded elephant.
    If the plan is not to sell, then take a hard look at what struggles managers are having, since they are spread so thin now. Managers should exist to HELP employees be successful. Really good managers are also leaders, and actually make success happen. Leadership is not all about L1, L2, and L3 executives, it is also about the L5 and L6 managers that are closest to the L6, L7, L8 (client-billable) working employees, some of which are also aspiring to be tomorrow's leaders.
    Finally, focus on increasing transparency. I'm not talking about broadcast emails filled with happy-talk or quarterly all-hands meetings that put on a facade, but rather transparency of what is really going on behind the scenes and how/why corporate processes work. Seek internal employees that want to improve corporate functions, and begin the healing process. The company can't grow if it is still wounded from restructuring and has pre-existing conditions that still need to be treated.

Good for a short stay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp (More than 5 years)

Pros

Congenial, down-to-earth atmosphere and flexible work schedules. Pay is competitive.

Cons

Poor benefits package, terrible on-boarding, highly uneven management, lack of core, positive culture.

Your just a butt in a chair.

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

Interesting work with the DoD

Cons

No matter how hard you worked, you were just the next number on the cart of accounts.

Advice to Management

Understand that you are dealing with families, not just one individual. We need our jobs to feed our families. Don't look at your employees as a means just to put on an addition to your house then dump them.

8. This is a disorganized company.

Current Employee - Business Analyst Professional in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst Professional in Washington, DC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tuition reimbursement, laid back if you are on a contract.

Cons

Don't work here if you are expecting an annual raise. The company changed the policy to a bell curve.

Advice to Management

Motivate employees to do more.

9. Great career with CSC

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

Many opportunities to explore other roles in own group and other groups.

Cons

Too many layers of manage who took an "ivory tower" approach to dealing with contributing lower level employees.

Advice to Management

I believe the 17 layers of management have been collapsed to six, but the heart and soul of the company has been gutted.

A struggling company that has to cut on employee benefits to make ends meet

Former Employee - Aeronautical Engineer Professional in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Aeronautical Engineer Professional in Washington, DC

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Certain groups do very good work and have terrific people and environments

Cons

The company culture has a lot of growing room and due to the struggles in the federal sector the company has been going through major restructuring, resulting in a loss of identity and a loss of benefits

Advice to Management

Put the employees first, and the stocks will take care of themselves

Benefits steadily eroded over my 3 years as an employee, and not a dime in raises due to broken appraisal system.

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Washington, DC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Teleworking is now an option for many. Some good people to work with.

Cons

Vacation policy recently changed to require 5 days per year to be used for mandatory shutdown periods, and only 5 additional days to be carried over to next year (which expire after 3 months).

Advice to Management

Fix the appraisal system so that people who work hard and perform well will actually get rewarded for it. If people are not meeting expectations, train them, or fire them and hire people who will.
    Eliminate the recent changes to the vacation policies! This is going to drive away the best talent.
    Stop increasing the employee's cost of other benefits every year, and get rid of the tiered system where higher salaried people (who are better able to find another job anyways) end up paying more for health insurance.

Computer Sciences Corp Photos