Computer Sciences Corp

Computer Sciences Corp Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Computer Sciences Corp President & CEO Mike Lawrie

Mike Lawrie

Pros
  • I have been enjoying work-life balance for some time; but not sure how long I can continue this(in 237 reviews)

• The opportunity to work from home "IF" it was written in the initial contract(in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance advertised as being important when in reality it should be work(in 39 reviews)

• Very bad senior management, dont even have ethics or know to speak proper English(in 82 reviews)

66 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Inside Scoop on CSC

Director (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Pros- Long term employees are generally paid well
    - Location is generally good
    - Most people at operational level are nice to each other

Cons- Very unstable at the moment
    - Lots of movement at executive level
    - Aggressive cost cutting is affecting general employees' job satisfaction

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to create a strategy to keep talents. Service industry key to long term survival is talent.

Large company that is not innovative

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI have found that the one positive attribute of CSC is that they offer salaries that align with the industry standard.

Because CSC is a global company, its workforce is located in many different places. Thus, each employees' experience will differ. I am speaking from the point of view of the US mid-atlantic market which relies heavily on federal government contracting.

Cons- You get lost in the shuffle because the company is so large. It is impossible to be promoted, recognized or grow with the type of structure and size of the company.
    - As a technologist, CSC is completely not innovative. In fact, they do not encourage a community of innovation and they do not invest in their employees. As a result, many technologists with current or cutting-edge skills have left or are considering leaving to pursue more interesting positions.
    - The benefits are decreasing. Over the past three years that I have been employed with CSC, major benefits were removed or reduced as cost cutting measures (one time CSC 401K contribution at the end of year, health costs increase; penalties if including spouse, mandatory end-of-year shut down where you use your own vacation, no raises in 2014, etc). Of course, a company needs to survive; however, such a severe and rapid reduction in benefits has severely decreased morale.

Questionable ethics, inept management

Project Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsAggressive at bidding on and winning contracts in the federal sector. Initial salary was very good, better than expected. Employees at the mid level and below are often committed and hard-working.

ConsSenior management engaging in unethical practices and constant CYA, including discrimination and contract violations. No flexible work arrangement. No work-life balance. No opportunity for advancement, unless you are part of the good old boys club.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of laying off or letting some of the best people walk out the door, I would cut, at a minimum, 15% of your senior management team. Start with retirement offers and then move on to more aggressive tactics, especially at 10th and G Street in Washington, D.C. Those guys are a joke.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent if you don't get lost in the weeds

Business Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWork life balance, experiences, clients to work with, technology, subject matter experts, flexibility

ConsPoor management, no direction, no career growth, no transparency with regard to promotions, employees are not appreciated, dying business model

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease transparency. The boots on the ground employees are ALWAYS aware. Stop the hiding and give transparent direction with regard to growing personnel, developing leaders, and improving your legacy business model.

Good IT Operations Company

Principal Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsMade up of good people who work hard and want the best for their company and their customers.

ConsCost consciousness, heartless, management-by-spreadsheet (or management consultants).

Advice to Senior ManagementValue employees like you say you do, communicate effectively, make decisions with put other people and the company before your own comp, and the workers will take care of you with the results

A lot of lip service

Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIf you can find them, there are some fantastically smart, sharp individuals who can help mold your career trajectory - both within and outside of CSC. But they are few and far in between.

ConsCompany culture is horrible. Management doesn't care about employees, just getting to the bottom line, no matter what cost/sacrifice.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize and truly understand (in other words, have actions represent the lip service) that your employees are your greatest asset.

Disorganized place to work

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsHours flexibility; caliber of colleagues was excellent

ConsPenny-ante mindset - employees had to buy hand soap for the kitchen and hangers for closets; paid time off for new employees is bare bones; benefits erode each year; major problems dealing with the health care providers (I truly believe you get what you pay for most of the time and they must not be paying much); 401k matching changes implemented this year had only one objective - screw the employees; no training; aloof/unfriendly management; very much a daily grind; implementation of policy subject to manager whim; non-existent HR department; onboarding process was unlike anything I'd ever seen before - I was essentially on my own; went through phases when coming to work felt like coming to a sweat shop

Advice to Senior Managementget to know some of the people who are actually doing tthe work and earning your bonus for you; invest in your people - provide training

It's a confusing (and confused) company right now

Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Prossome good people to work with - at worker bee level

Consconstant threat of layoff
    lack of updated policies and org charts post transformation - no one knows work flow
    2 in a box = no one really responsible
    little or no merit increases, regardless of merit
    management mentality of "it's never enough"
    no investment in its own infrastructure. If it costs money, you can't have it

Advice to Senior ManagementNo one is listening, so why bother. If Lawrie's end game is to sell all or part of the company, just get on with it.

Depends on the team you are on....

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsCompetent, friendly coworkers. I have the opportunity to pursue roles/responsibilities that interest me and help me grow professionally. Not sure if this applies to the rest of the company, but my team has a great work-life balance and flexible work schedule.

ConsI am located at a satellite CSC office and I feel a huge disconnect from other employees and opportunities. Also, annual cost of living/raises are a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward hard workers. Human capital is what makes CSC such a powerful company....I think management needs to work harder to retain top talent.

CSC NPS review

Business Development Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsA lot of good people that really want to succeed and make the company better. They have restructured their management and line layers in the last 2 years and have cut a lot of fat out.

ConsOn the other side, they never make a true investment in winning...at least in the area in which I worked. They simply did not know how to really focus on the things they wanted. Therefore, a company that should have had good resources for capturing new business had an ADD approach to pipeline pursuit.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on, and apply the right resources to the pursuits you undertake. Stop trying to do everything on the cheap.

Worked for Computer Sciences Corp? Contribute to the Community!