Computer Sciences Corp

2.7
2,715 Reviews

Computer Sciences Corp President & CEO Mike Lawrie
Mike Lawrie

Pros
  • I have been enjoying work-life balance for some time; but not sure how long I can continue this (in 243 reviews)

• The opportunity to work from home "IF" it was written in the initial contract (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance advertised as being important when in reality it should be work (in 40 reviews)

• Very bad senior management, dont even have ethics or know to speak proper English (in 84 reviews)

More Highlights

67 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Some interesting opportunities, but fleeting

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very nice, down to earth people and good work-life balance.

Cons

Very slow to promote, which is now harder due to new requirements. During 5+ years there, I met few who were able to earn more than one promotion, if at all.

Provide much more support to enrich the skills and morale of employees, especially those at the mid-range of their careers.

Inside Scoop on CSC

Current Employee - Director  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Long term employees are generally paid well
    - Location is generally good
    - Most people at operational level are nice to each other

Cons

- Very unstable at the moment
    - Lots of movement at executive level
    - Aggressive cost cutting is affecting general employees' job satisfaction

Need to create a strategy to keep talents. Service industry key to long term survival is talent.

Large company that is not innovative

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have found that the one positive attribute of CSC is that they offer salaries that align with the industry standard.

Because CSC is a global company, its workforce is located in many different places. Thus, each employees' experience will differ. I am speaking from the point of view of the US mid-atlantic market which relies heavily on federal government contracting.

Cons

- You get lost in the shuffle because the company is so large. It is impossible to be promoted, recognized or grow with the type of structure and size of the company.
    - As a technologist, CSC is completely not innovative. In fact, they do not encourage a community of innovation and they do not invest in their employees. As a result, many technologists with current or cutting-edge skills have left or are considering leaving to pursue more interesting positions.
    - The benefits are decreasing. Over the past three years that I have been employed with CSC, major benefits were removed or reduced as cost cutting measures (one time CSC 401K contribution at the end of year, health costs increase; penalties if including spouse, mandatory end-of-year shut down where you use your own vacation, no raises in 2014, etc). Of course, a company needs to survive; however, such a severe and rapid reduction in benefits has severely decreased morale.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Questionable ethics, inept management

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Aggressive at bidding on and winning contracts in the federal sector. Initial salary was very good, better than expected. Employees at the mid level and below are often committed and hard-working.

Cons

Senior management engaging in unethical practices and constant CYA, including discrimination and contract violations. No flexible work arrangement. No work-life balance. No opportunity for advancement, unless you are part of the good old boys club.

Instead of laying off or letting some of the best people walk out the door, I would cut, at a minimum, 15% of your senior management team. Start with retirement offers and then move on to more aggressive tactics, especially at 10th and G Street in Washington, D.C. Those guys are a joke.

Decent if you don't get lost in the weeds

Current Employee - Business Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance, experiences, clients to work with, technology, subject matter experts, flexibility

Cons

Poor management, no direction, no career growth, no transparency with regard to promotions, employees are not appreciated, dying business model

Increase transparency. The boots on the ground employees are ALWAYS aware. Stop the hiding and give transparent direction with regard to growing personnel, developing leaders, and improving your legacy business model.

Good IT Operations Company

Current Employee - Principal Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Made up of good people who work hard and want the best for their company and their customers.

Cons

Cost consciousness, heartless, management-by-spreadsheet (or management consultants).

Value employees like you say you do, communicate effectively, make decisions with put other people and the company before your own comp, and the workers will take care of you with the results

A lot of lip service

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you can find them, there are some fantastically smart, sharp individuals who can help mold your career trajectory - both within and outside of CSC. But they are few and far in between.

Cons

Company culture is horrible. Management doesn't care about employees, just getting to the bottom line, no matter what cost/sacrifice.

Recognize and truly understand (in other words, have actions represent the lip service) that your employees are your greatest asset.

Disorganized place to work

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hours flexibility; caliber of colleagues was excellent

Cons

Penny-ante mindset - employees had to buy hand soap for the kitchen and hangers for closets; paid time off for new employees is bare bones; benefits erode each year; major problems dealing with the health care providers (I truly believe you get what you pay for most of the time and they must not be paying much); 401k matching changes implemented this year had only one objective - screw the employees; no training; aloof/unfriendly management; very much a daily grind; implementation of policy subject to manager whim; non-existent HR department; onboarding process was unlike anything I'd ever seen before - I was essentially on my own; went through phases when coming to work felt like coming to a sweat shop

get to know some of the people who are actually doing tthe work and earning your bonus for you; invest in your people - provide training

It's a confusing (and confused) company right now

Current Employee - Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

some good people to work with - at worker bee level

Cons

constant threat of layoff
    lack of updated policies and org charts post transformation - no one knows work flow
    2 in a box = no one really responsible
    little or no merit increases, regardless of merit
    management mentality of "it's never enough"
    no investment in its own infrastructure. If it costs money, you can't have it

No one is listening, so why bother. If Lawrie's end game is to sell all or part of the company, just get on with it.

Depends on the team you are on....

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competent, friendly coworkers. I have the opportunity to pursue roles/responsibilities that interest me and help me grow professionally. Not sure if this applies to the rest of the company, but my team has a great work-life balance and flexible work schedule.

Cons

I am located at a satellite CSC office and I feel a huge disconnect from other employees and opportunities. Also, annual cost of living/raises are a joke.

Reward hard workers. Human capital is what makes CSC such a powerful company....I think management needs to work harder to retain top talent.

Worked for Computer Sciences Corp? Contribute to the Community!