Computer Services Reviews

Steven A. Powless

1. Long term success

Current Employee - Current Employee in Paducah, KY
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Paducah, KY

I have been working at Computer Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

CSI has been in business for 50 years. Every year has been profitable and continues to prove they are the best in the industry. Wish I started my career with CSi Straight from graduating college. Has an industry standard for the culture. Family first.

Cons

Salaries need to be reviewed every six months to make sure they are keeping pace with the Technology industry.

Advice to Management

Have a well defined succession plan.

2. Peers are great, Upper management not so much

Current Employee - Network Engineer
    Current Employee - Network Engineer

I have been working at Computer Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It pays the bills, the "bad eggs" generally do not last long, easy to work with most co-workers as everyone has a do whatever it takes to get the job done for the day and get out attitude. Culture and values regarding customer service are above average.

Cons

Starting pay rates are not remotely close to competitive across all full-time salaried positions. Expectation of on-call rotations with no compensation. Little acknowledgement from senior officers for the lowly peons that do the work while their managers receive praise. Culture and values regarding customer service also means the customer is always right attitude exists in senior management, and even if direct management acknowledges they aren't, you still look bad and get reprimanded for not satisfying the customer.

Advice to Management

Just because you give an annual raise that matches the national average of raise percent doesn't make you competitive. 3.5-4% a year raise may be the average but when your base pay rate starts at 30-40% less than the industry average in every position compensation will NEVER be truly competitive. Starting an employee at 40,000 when the industry average is 55,000 and giving a 3.5% raise will take that employee a full 30 years to catch up in annual salary to someone that started at 55,000 and only received a 2.5% raise annually.

3. Culture varies depending on location

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Computer Services full-time

Pros

CSI offers on-par benefits and really treats their customers well.

Cons

Corporate culture at the Charlotte location is practically a hostile work environment. Tenured staff are leaving or being let go if they don't agree with the President. You can not trust anyone as staff is in CYA mode all the time due to anxiety about being blamed for something and bearing the repercussions. Innovation is non-existant.

Advice to Management

Install a president who people can trust and has managed previously - staff in Charlotte will not want to endure this environment

5. Great Place to Work

I have been working at Computer Services full-time

Pros

Great pay and opportunities to advance. They provide a lot of training opportunities and are small enough to let you design your own job-- to an extent. The company lets you know you are valued.

Cons

The hours are not very flexible, working from home or 4 days of 10 hours aren't an option. Regardless of the hours you work-- you leave at 5pm or after.

Advice to Management

Encourage more remote work, flexible hours. It's 2015-- time to catch up with general employment practices.

Lack of Manager Accountability

Current Employee - Technology in Paducah, KY
    Current Employee - Technology in Paducah, KY

I have been working at Computer Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good profit sharing.

Cons

Managers are not held accountable- if you are in with the CPeople- you have long term employment and plenty of growth. If you are not in with the CPeople- good luck growing and advancing your career.

Advice to Management

They wouldn't listen anyway.

Support Tech

Former Employee - Support Tech in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Support Tech in Fort Collins, CO

Pros

Good starting place. Good tools.

Cons

Management decisions, removal of "perks", implementation of Peter Principle.

Advice to Management

Keep your people happy, they are what make you money.

Good People, Okay Company

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Amarillo, TX
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Computer Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are (for the most part) great to be around, and the general work environment is alright. Profit sharing plan is pretty great, and benefits aren't bad.

Cons

Pay is not competitive at all, there is little to no room for personal growth and progress, they tend to be very anti-education and learning. If you don't mind working extra long hours, doing menial tasks that may have nothing to do with your skillset, for pay far less than you're worth, this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Improve pay and tasks for employees; If you have employees who have expressed interest in helping the company in other areas more suited to their education and experience, take it seriously and do not bash them for any sort of ambition or personal betterment.

9. Great Company

I have been working at Computer Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've been working for CSI for a long time and came in through an acquisition. Without a doubt, the best company I have worked for. There is a deep belief in doing the right thing whether it's in relation to your co-workers, employees or the customer. Profit sharing and yearly merit increases are great. Lots of opportunity to make an impact if you're a go-getter.

Cons

I think pay could be more competitive in some areas.

Advice to Management

I'd like to see more options to have flexible schedules, work from home, etc.

A honest opinion

Current Employee - Network Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Network Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Computer Services full-time

Pros

-You are able to get alot of experience really quickly since as a management service provider you get to see a lot of different environments/devices and quickly learn what is right and what is wrong. -Employees that are not in the management/techincal leader postions are usually pretty nice and will to help.

Cons

-People that have zero idea of how the underlying technology works have a lot of leverage over you, basically common sense just does not happen here. So don't even bother trying to improve processes that are in place. -Management/Technical Leadership does not care about what you, want you learned to help with the operations, or anything that you brought to the table unless they thought of it first. Sometimes they will just steal it from you and label it as their own. -When the Management/Technical Leadership get wind of a mistake you made be prepared to receive multi paragraph long e-mail on basically how you messed up to the whole e-mail DL. -The Management/Technical Leadership are extremely greedy with handing down work to help train the lower employees up for better potions or give you more responsibilities. If you weren't hired for the position, then your not going to get to do that eventually. Expect to learn everything on your own that is useful. -Extremely primitive monitoring/ technical tools, so expect to troubleshoot issues that could of took 5 minutes (with the correct tools) for a hour (ex. no netflow). To sum it up, they basically just do not reinvest anything into the core business unless there is a absolute need. -A lot of new services we offer are implemented based on a knee jerk reaction that our competitors are doing. They are basically cooked up really quick and never tested (ex. non scalable solutions), which are then handed off to you. So expect problems in those deployments. -Expect the Sales team to sign contracts that make no sense to our business model or surprising us by having to support production devices at the last minute that no one has experience with. -The rare occasion that we are not surprised with a new technology we need to support, they will not offer training on it. -No on boarding process is ever cleanly executed, so sometimes customers get angry because we did not have their device in monitoring for multiple months. - There is not enough personnel to do the job correctly in most technical teams. So expected to work more hours when someone goes on vacation. -Whatever you agreed on for your salary is what you will be payed for the rest of your employment there, regardless of how much more your doing or learned. Saying that the company does not offer a competitive salary compared to the rest of the market and bonuses do not exist.

Advice to Management

Being only nice to the Customer does improve the Core Business. They are not paying us to be their friend they are paying us for a service. Listen to the people that actually run the business. Hire more competent leaders.

Business analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valparaiso, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valparaiso, IN

I worked at Computer Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's hard to get fired, if you're white and in a position that doesn't challenge gender roles, I'm sure it's a nice place to work

Cons

Sexist, was told I was too pretty to care about my job. If you're a women you will be in marketing our customer service. Would rather to do things as they have always been done rather than improving processes. Hard to get fired, so they keep shuffling around bad managers. Have no problem lying to you to keep you around.

Advice to Management

Fire people that need to be fired. Hire women and people of color.

RSS Feed </> Embed