Computer Task Group Reviews

Updated October 24, 2014
Updated October 24, 2014

Computer Task Group Chairman, President, and CEO James R. Boldt
James R. Boldt

Pros
  • Good benefits, some have worked for this company for years (in 3 reviews)

• good company exposure, lots of promotions (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of raises, even cost of living raises, and sometime decrease to keep client (in 3 reviews)

• bench time, nor did they find other work after contract ended (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Health Care IT Support Opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Support Analyst in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Senior Support Analyst in Fargo, ND

I worked at Computer Task Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to grow in your area of knowledge.

Cons

Many changes and shifts in direction made it difficult to keep up.

I think the management was fine...maybe the client was demanding too many changes in direction.

Staffing agency

Current Employee - Human Resources in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Durham, NC

I have been working at Computer Task Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The only thing I can think of is that it's the easiest way to get your foot in the door. CTG is well connected; their clients are major players. They work with Lenovo, IBM, Bayer, and others. With that said, it's ridiculously hard to get an interview with these companies on your own. The pay is decent. I received what I asked for.

Cons

Once the recruiter places you, you never hear from them again, including the recruiters that are onsite. They charge a ridiculous amount for the health insurance. When negotiating your pay, ask for something that will offset your premiums.

Decrease the premiums so that your employees are able to afford them! Keep in contact with your contractors regularly...

Contract period was rough - company does not follow federal wage laws

Former Employee - Senior Payroll Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Payroll Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Computer Task Group as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Paid at decent hourly wage for assignment.

Cons

No review process, no follow up with client company on weekly progress, no performance review plan/process.
    My contract assignment manager also tried to not pay me for time spent with her in meetings, saying they were "personal time" but they were always work related. Under FLSA that time is work time and must be paid.
    I questioned it and was told that she was a long-time sales manager with the company and HR didn't consider her a problem. I had to threaten to blow the whistle and turn them into the Dept of Labor, then they paid back the missed hours and still said they didn't admit to any wrongdoing on their part. I think they just ran into someone who knew the law - and just because time isn't billable to the client does not mean it should not be paid. The FLSA doesn't specify between "billable" and "Non-Billable" hours.

Stop treating your employees, who are your workforce, as numbers. Account managers need to know the laws and have regular meetings with employees. Treat your people as PEOPLE.
    Open, Honest, and good communication with your employees. Offer better benefits and paid time off so people want to stay. Provide placement to other clients for good workers, or secure longer contract periods.

CTG forgets whom the contractor works for

I worked at Computer Task Group as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

CTG communicates well and often with their contractors. They do remind you of available training, and have online training

Cons

There were issues with my manager at the "client" very early on. The client made verbal promises to me about my ability to work from home as necessary. The CTG on site coordinator spoke with both of us separately several times, but to no avail. After I left the position and thought about it as a manager, I realized that CTG never tried to resolve the issues by having a meeting with the 3 of us to clear the air, and to agree on a mutually agreeable solution.

CTG needs to ensure it keeps both the contractors and the client happy. Perhaps a process for the contractor to take an unresolved issue to a higher level. If there was such a system, I was not aware of it.

Over Promises - Under Delivers

I worked at Computer Task Group full-time

Pros

Contracts with large companies. Good clients.

Cons

Employees are singed on as a W2, but are really short term contractors. Promised long term work with bench time, but they only fulfilled 1/3 of promised time, then no bench time, nor did they find other work after contract ended. I feel they are like a revolving door and only hire for short periods as they must be getting kick backs from the government for the amount of people they hire. Only thing is, they don't keep those people, they let them go and hire new people.

Fulfill your promises. Value your experienced "employees."

Good Place to get your foot in the door!

Current Employee - Post Sales Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Post Sales Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Computer Task Group as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

After 6 months, you're eligible for tuition reimbursement for classes pertaining to the job so career growth is encouraged. Discounts on your cell bill.

Cons

Not getting paid for holidays and no pay incentives such as performance or annual increases. Getting paid bi-weekly. Insurance is alittle suspect as well.

Tweak the holiday pay and pay increase incentives.

Decent Staffing Agency, helps get you interviews

Current Employee - Server Test Technician in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Server Test Technician in Durham, NC

I have been working at Computer Task Group as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

They setup interviews with their clients fairly quickly. They also have a lot of job opportunities in the RTP area to offer a valid candidate. Can be a flexible schedule, and they offer a good amount of remote positions.

Cons

Not much communication with the staff directly once you have been hired. They can be a pain to get ask for a raise, even after doing good work for their client for several years...

Great place to work

I have been working at Computer Task Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management is very helpful and they are willing to train their employees.

Cons

Management is in another city.

Never Again!

Former Employee - Computer Systems Analyst
    Former Employee - Computer Systems Analyst

I worked at Computer Task Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None, that I am aware.

Cons

I see by the review comments of others that nothing has changed at CTG in a long time. I actually managed to last for 18 years, but that was at a different, and better, CTG than it is today. I left shortly after the current CEO started, and he's the reason I was let go. Prior CEOs cared about each employee, and yes, we were almost all actual employees, not contractors. Lots of very organized, well-run offices throughout the country (and world). Not after he started. He eliminated bench time, cut benefits and pay, and essentially turned CTG into a body shop. It's a shame, because it used to be a good company.

In order to go beyond the numbers you're perennially stuck on, you need to get rid of your bean-counting CEO. Never promote a CFO to run a company, because everything becomes a cost which needs to be lowered or eliminated.

Hard to communicate with no office of staff in town

I worked at Computer Task Group as a contractor

Pros

Good benefits, some have worked for this company for years.

Cons

Felt disconnected from the main office in Buffalo, NY