Compuware

www.compuware.com

Compuware Reviews in Lexington, MA

Compuware CEO Bob Paul

Bob Paul

Pros
  • work-life balance is really depends on the position, some position are very demanding(in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits (Medical has maintained low employee contribution amount)(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • VERY limited vision / forward thinking within the Professional Services Division(in 15 reviews)

• Senior management is a bunch of old cronies and finance runs the place(in 15 reviews)

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Hierarchical chaos, wish there had been more planning, not bad place to work

ProsDecent compensation
    Good product (worked in APM BU)
    Good co-workers
    Work-from-home Fridays!

ConsUpper management could be "whimsical."
    Corporate atmosphere, decision making process
    Somewhat chaotic at times

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds better processes to make decisions - at least in marketing and design decisions. There's too much left up to seat-of-pants last minute decision making. And yet middle and upper management have so many meetings! The APM business unit needs more unity - of identity, of purpose, of marketing decisions, etc. You are now Compuware, give up the old brands, they are confusing for users.

Low pay and no growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lexington, MA

ProsBasic benefits are OK and the people in the company are mostly very nice and well intentioned. If you get hired in as a new employee you get a reasonable salary.

ConsGiven that the company has very good margins you would expect that the company would take better care of its employees. New employees are higher paid then existing employees and there is no thought given on how to equalize a persons salary. 0 equity in the company and employees have no vested interest in seeing the company do well. Benefits are average for the Detroit area which is severely depressed and benefits are below average for anyone who works in an area other than Detroit. Management has absolutely no concern for employees and when one was asked about salary by one of the employees the answer was insulting and obscenity was used in reference to the employee. Many employees live in fear of loosing their job with how depressed the job market is in Detroit and take a path of least risk to their job which translates into the companies under performance. Compuware handles acquisitions in a disastrous way, for example the Gomez APM SaaS is falling apart and since the acquisition there was a mass exodus of dissatisfied employees and there are a mere handful of employees left at Gomez that were there when the company was acquired. If you don't work in Detroit there is no hope for promotion. Its a high pressure environment with low returns. The APM group is quickly loosing customers to other solutions, especially customers who have been customers for over 7 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees, treat them with respect and dignity. Reevaluate your entire management team from the top down. To many senior leaders of the company have been at the company so long that they are completely out of touch.

flameout

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lexington, MA

Prossome great co-workers in Lexington office

Consloss of customer focus
    inadequate engineering resources on key areas
    acquisitions have eroded culture and focus
    loss of years of perspective and skills through attrition

Advice to Senior Managementvalue the remaining people and give them the resources to deliver

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Co-workers are great, Board Chairman is a schmuck

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lexington, MA

ProsWorking with Gomez team (which later became part of Compuware) was one of the most fulfilling experiences of my career. The company grew, and provided growth opportunities for many individuals such as myself. Sure, there were occasional long nights, but there was also a very flexible work schedule that compensated for those long hours.

ConsEver since Compuware acquisition, things changed a little -- and main problem was with the directives coming from the HQ. Compuware has/had some of the worst HR policies -- forget the fact that it offered the fewest number of holidays in a calendar year, knowing that the company actually promoted mediocrity through its policies boggles my mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementMr Karmanos Senior, please refrain from berating an employee in an online public forum in future.

Always busy

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Lexington, MA

ProsThe APM and Covisint business unit operate within a growing industries. The company is also undergoing a slow but steady transition into renewing itself.

ConsNot the best compensation. Poor attention to employees and their career growth. Best described as a company that can give you a job, and not a career.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more support systems that offer employees career planning and facilitate personal growth.

Up and Coming, Unlimited Opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lexington, MA

Pros- Room for growth, new skills acquisition, education opportunities.
    - Directors and Management doors are always open
    - the technology is exciting and fulfilling to work with
    - product is rapidly growing, creating a lot of opportunity
    - employee feedback is welcomed.
    - Managers are very flexible with working hours/time off for medical issues and family emergencies
    - Employees are very supportive of each other and willing to lend a hand

Cons- for some unknown reason, Compuware does not give employees the day after Thanksgiving off (but managers are very flexible granting this day off).
    - while HQ has great facilities, the regional offices do not have as many amenities
    - little is done to foster a company culture.
    - vacation for new employees at present is only 2 weeks, which is behind the industry standard in this area, but it should be noted for the record that we are offered unlimited sick time and personal time, so you don't squander any vacation days waiting for plumber or taking your kids to the dentist.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, Compuware is a pretty good place to work, and it's certainly headed in a positive direction. I think the company really need to focus resources carefully... not necessary on net-new services, but enhancing the services we already offer. While Compuware is certainly a leader in performance management, I'd like to see Compuware really turn the tables in the market: We need to go from a company offering customer a great product, to a company dominating the industry and showing customers products and services they simply can't live without.

Good career path, could use more base compensation

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Lexington, MA

ProsNew management team in place now seems to have our interests in mind. Plenty of potential to make money in commission. Plenty of training and resources are available. Good commission plan to compensate for below market base.

ConsNo college reimbursement - 2 weeks vacation. Could be more competitive in base salary, but makes up for it in the commission plan. Seems that the new mid-level management team does not have ability to make decisions regarding day to day business items, without checking with a senior management. could be a long ramp for some who are not hungry and only log in an 8 hour day.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview current market conditions and adjust salaries before you lose more sales people. Continue to create and promote a positive work environment.

Great technology, but can't get out of their own way.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lexington, MA

ProsOverall vision is very strong and have developed and/or acquired the right foundation to make the vision a reality.

ConsThere are too many people involved in every aspect of getting anything done. Instead of hiring one component employee, they tend to hire 5 mediocre employees to do the same job. This makes it very frustrating to get anything done in a timely manner. Travel policies are the worst of any organization I have even worked. The internal "grind" to deal with policies and procedures is putting many good employees over the edge.

Advice to Senior ManagementSr. level management may have solid business skills, but have no leadership skills. Consider some changes. There is very little value shown to current employees (avg salary 20% less then market). While everyone can be replaced, there is a lot of talent that has walked out which will take years to replace their depth of knowledge. The current culture of this organization will not draw top talent.

It has been an eye opening expereinece.

Enterprsie Sales (Current Employee) Lexington, MA

ProsGood Health Benefits and I work closely with a great team of people
    The technology is solid and ahead of its time. The vison of where Compuware wanst to go is there.

ConsLack of Vacation time and paid Holidays, the Corporation runs like it did in the 1980's. There is no clear messaginging about what we do and the sales philosophy is outdated.

Advice to Senior ManagementDramatic change to the corporate culture and philosophy- if they want to be ahead of their competition they need to change the way business is run-from Finance , Marketing and Sales. They have vision, but there is poor execution

Compuware will challenge you professionally and reward your commitment and performance.

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Lexington, MA

ProsManagement rewards performance. Positive changes in team structure has now created new career paths, especially on the sales floor.

Consonly 2 weeks vacation; however, if performing, and you need more time nobody is going to hold it against you.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeed up some of the decision making at times.

Worked for Compuware? Contribute to the Community!