Compuware Reviews

Reset
3.6
Compuware Chief Executive Officer Chris O’Malley
Chris O’Malley

Pros
  • Provide great work life balance and development opportunities (in 15 reviews)

• Good benefits (Medical has maintained low employee contribution amount) (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • VERY limited vision / forward thinking within the Professional Services Division (in 15 reviews)

• Too many friends of senior management with inflated titles (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

A technologically "Green" company

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I want to feel like my work is making a contribution; not just to the company I work for, but to society as a whole. At the end of the day, I want to feel that my efforts will somehow help to genuinely improve conditions for people. I'm starting get that feeling here at Compuware. How is that possible? In our culture of consumerism, the mantra is to constantly buy bigger and better. In no other sector is this more prominent than in technology. As consumers, we're constantly pressured to spend money on smarter, faster devices with the promises of significantly higher productivity, greater convenience, and more pleasure. Although sometimes these advances may be significant breakthroughs, most of the time the improvements are marginal, and sometimes even worse (Windows 8, anyone?). Different sectors are under the same pressure to constantly streamline productivity, do more with less, and so on. They constantly pour loads of cash into new technology in order to meet our increasing demands. In the face of that, Compuware has taken a radical approach; instead of jumping on the bandwagon for getting industries to buy new technology, they have taken a strong stance for "technological reuse"; helping companies exploit powerful mainframe technologies they already have, but fail to understand or fully utilize. Sure, they aren't as "sexy" as alternative industry backbone technologies, but the "old" mainframes are faster, way more reliable, and far more secure than anything else out there. And Compuware is making mainframes more "user friendly" for a new generation of workers accustomed to instant messages, intuitive screens, and smart phones. Mainframe use extends across numerous sectors. Although banking is usually the first one that comes to mind, there are countless other industries such as state offices, school districts, health insurance companies, and cities. Saving these clients money means they can afford to do more for the people they serve. Instead of having blow wads of cash "upgrading" their systems, they instead get more out of what they have; allowing them to retain or even expand on both their services and employees. I, for one, am tired of the treadmill of technological "advancements". Its good to be part of a company that's saying "You can stay current with what you already have". In terms of other aspects of working here, the hours are pretty flexible (at least for engineering), the people are all upbeat, hard-working, and take pride in their work. Its downtown Detroit, but in a pretty nice building with lots of amenities nearby.

Cons

Lots of bumps in the road ahead. This vision of Compuware's is relatively new; as a result, we are going through a lot of growing pains. There is commitment to this idea on all levels, but we have a lot of bugs to iron out in the process. In addition, much of our workforce is getting towards retirement age; transferring much of this proprietary mainframe knowledge to newer, younger tech workers will be no small feat. In past years, Compuware suffered from what felt like Multiple Personality Disorder; we didn't know what we wanted to be. Even though its been a couple years, I think that some people are leery that this is just a "phase" management is going through.

Advice to Management

Stay the course.

Challenging but rewarding place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been here for more than 10 years and over that time the company has gone through a lot of change. Not all of it has been good. However, in the last year, with the entry of our current CEO, all the changes have a much more tangible and impactful (for the good) feel. We truly are becoming the premier mainframe software vendor anywhere in the world. The greatest asset of this company is the people. The opportunity to work with true leaders and visionaries of our technology segment should not be marginalized. Some of the things we've done and most of the things we have planned have impact on the world. In many cases, mainframes are the power behind so much of the activity occuring in the world and Compuware is positioned to lead in providing the development tooling needs for the ongoing viability of the mainframe.

Cons

Things are evolving at pace that is not for the faint of heart. However, for those that are committed, the opportunities abound.

Advice to Management

To the Senior Management Team: Keep it up and those of us "in the ranks" will do the same.

3. Okay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Compuware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lovely facility with attached parking structure.

Cons

Culture of cliques. Senior Management was very remote and fostered a climate of fear. At this point, the company was very unstable.

Advice to Management

Need to look beyond the "teacher's pets". All employees have value.

5. Exciting place to work

Current Employee - Director in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Director in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compuware is going through very dramatic changes top to bottom and appears to have the right leadership team in place to make it successful. Many companies would fold under the pressure of going private, divesting business units, and having to reinvent themselves as a new, smaller company. The current employees at Compuware, not just the management, seem to embrace and relish the challenge - making it a very exciting place to work.

Cons

Change is hard. With the dramatic changes, there will always be a few people that resist. Luckily for the company, the number of people struggling with change is very low. So this con is also a bit of a pro.

Advice to Management

Stay the course for the steady, constant improvements. Continue the open communications with All Employees. That alone goes a long way toward the successful reinvention.

Compuware Reboot. The team you want be on and the team you never want to compete against!

Current Employee - Engineering in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Engineering in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In a career, you are lucky to get even one opportunity to be part of a team that transforms a company and, in so doing, a market. We have an enlightened vision for the mainframe market and an outrageously ambitious mission and strategy to remake Compuware into the best mainframe software partner for the next 50 years. In all areas of the company (eg, product management, engineering, marketing, sales, support, finance, IT, legal and HR), we are inventing new roles, responsibilities and methods to maximize our execution capabilities and gain a unfair competitive advantage. Whether you are a recent college graduate or someone more than a decade into your career, this transformation will provide an incredible career experience unlike anything else in Detroit, Product management and engineering, specifically, are creating an innovation engine unlike anything the mainframe software market has ever seen. These teams are getting dangerously close to being able to conceive, qualify, design a MVP initial offering and deliver a GA product to the market all within 90 days. That's unheard of for any type software company, but unbelievable for a mainframe software company. How cool to be part of a team that can make a difference for our customers at such a pace and leave our competitors standing flat footed at the starting gate. And lastly and most importantly, Compuware has some of the best and brightest people I've ever had the pleasure of working with in my career. This last twelve months have given many people an opportunity to really shine and do things they had hoped for, but they were never given the support or the opportunity to do so. It's wonderful to see many long-term Compuware employees thriving in an environment that lets them exhaust their many talents.

Cons

Compuware is a radically different company from twelve months ago and people that have been gone for more than a year would be shocked at just how much has truly changed. The urgency and intensity is exciting, but it's clearly not for everyone. Compuware has a culture that increasingly demands everyone to be highly engaged in their respective execution responsibilities and, when someone is not, they quickly stand out. Executive management expects much, sometimes too much but they also lead by example and have proven over and over again that team Compuware can do a whole lot more than many thought possible. I worry that we will not be able to keep up this pace, but every quarter we have people stepping up to keep our foot firmly on the accelerator.

Advice to Management

Please know that the list of detractors and cynics is getting smaller and smaller as people gain more trust in the company's collective commitment and will to realize our long-term goals. Long-term Compuware employees have been through the good, the bad and the ugly which means they know what good looks like, but the wounds of bad and ugly take time to heal. We are almost all there, but you must continue the efforts at building organizational trust. There are highly capable and ambitious long term Compuware employees that should be given the opportunity to advance as the company grows. Executive management seems to look outside first and inside second. There are many people that are fast earning the right to be groomed and considered first.

Mainframe Reinvigerated

Current Employee - Software Developer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Welcoming collaborative environment with a wealth of knowledge and experience. Increased customer involvement and changing to Agile development means that we are getting our customers what they want faster than ever before.

Cons

I do not really have any complaints about working for Compuware. There has been a lot of change in the way we do business, but I see mostly positive coming out of those changes.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower all employees to take ownership of Compuware and its products to drive innovation on the mainframe.

Completely new company

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Detroit, MI

Pros

For the first time in a LONG time, Compuware executive management understands the value of the mainframe and it has made all the difference. The executives are hands on and inspire confidence. Leaders demonstrate that employees are the most important asset and promote open and honest two way communication. The work environment is excellent and there is a very positive energy. The building has excellent on-site amenities, such as the Wellness center (gym), cafeteria, daycare, Chiropractor, Physical therapy, Doctors office, restaurants, coffee shop, sundry, etc.

Cons

Some people don't like being in downtown Detroit, although the environment downtown is very upbeat, with thousands of new people working downtown.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue to trust the employees as they trust you.

9. IT Professional

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Compuware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overall, Compuware is a good company to work for. It was only due to company sale to private equity firm that my position was eliminated, a reduction in force.

Cons

Employees who followed company mission, always added value and made a positive difference in moving the company forward were released when it would seem an internal job placement program could have been utilized to retain dedication, talent and experience.

Advice to Management

Introduce and implement an internal job placement program, this in addition to internal job postings which may or may not discover a career match.

10. Exciting time for Compuware

Current Employee - Solution Consultant in Elkhart, IN
    Current Employee - Solution Consultant in Elkhart, IN

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mainframe focused. Privately held. Enthusiastic management. Positive outlook for future. Great place to work. Love home-based office.

Cons

Seeing friends being let go due to re-organization. But this seems to be behind us.

11. compuware software developer

Current Employee - Software Developer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Free off-street parking, clean, centrally located, with a lot of smart, skilled, creative and likeable people to work with, though they're dwindling.

Cons

Minimal pay increases, little promotion opportunity, too many meetings, too much administrative paperwork, a lot of unnecessary pressure and artificial deadlines, frequent management shuffling, arbitrary layoffs, zero job security.

Advice to Management

Management seem to be doing everything they can to maximize short term profitability with a view to reselling the company within two to five years. I don't see anything more they could do to make better progress toward that goal.

RSS Feed </> Embed