Compuware

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
2.9

Chris O’Malley

Pros
  • work-life balance is really depends on the position, some position are very demanding (in 15 reviews)

• Good benefits (Medical has maintained low employee contribution amount) (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • VERY limited vision / forward thinking within the Professional Services Division (in 15 reviews)

• Too many friends of senior management with inflated titles (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Riding the wave

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Compuware

Pros

Compuware has had a long-term strategic plan that is now coming to fruition with the split of its final two business units; APM is now called Dynatrace and is a separate company than Compuware with its mainframe solutions. The split has allowed Compuware's energy to be more focused and our leadership to work to create a more cohesive and unified work culture.

New leadership is work very hard to re-energize the company and turn Compuware into a fast-paced and agile organization committed to continuous innovation - so far this has worked but too early too tell if it is sustainable.

The employees are great. It really does feel like a community that cares about the people.

The new CEO, Chris O'Malley, is working to have more regular and transparent communication that Compuware has ever had.

Good benefits - healthcare, vacations days, 401K etc.

Cons

It can be challenging to work with the ups and downs of this transition period. Just like with any mainframe business, there needs to be more of a focus on the young professional development program because otherwise we won't have a future.

Something so big and so convoluted it was destined to fail.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Compuware full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Worked with some of the most brilliant technologists i've ever met. Amazing office located in Downtown Detroit.

Cons

No focus, no goals, a huge group of people that were hired because they either were friends of a friend or married into the right family with no training. The management team was so irrelevant and out of touch they didn't notice the company crumbling from the top floor in 3 piece suits. The last two years were life boats while hundreds of families and employees had their lives ruined.

Stay small, focus and just learn from all of your many many mistakes.

Good Company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Detroit, MI

I worked at Compuware full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, good People, Great Location - Great if you are starting up with a company - great opportunity to move within the company

Cons

If you want to move up within the company you need to be there for a while, everyone is about having a very heavy work ethic and if you don't have it you're looked down upon

This company is very toxic! It is all politics and all about favoritism.

I have been working at Compuware

Pros

Detroit atmosphere and Compuware wellness center

Cons

Management was terrible, overall favoritism was ridiculous, no professionalism in the recruiting department, very inappropriate things were said by the director of recruiting, and I would never recommend anyone working for a toxic environment like this. It was and is terrible experience!

Recruiting area needs to be removed and replaced with professional individuals who respect others.

Good place to work if you don't have a spine.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Detroit, MI

I worked at Compuware full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Indoor parking is provided for free.

Cons

Best efforts are not rewarded. Everything is always urgent until it is time for your performance review and then they are very critical. Usually they have everyones' review right after a mass layoff and then they tell you, "You're lucky to have a job". The company has been losing revenue for years and keeping profit up by reducing costs (firing anyone with a backbone). They have been dismantling the company for the last couple of years, selling off divisions and product lines. Most recently they split what was left of the company into two parts and sold it to a private equity firm. There are some really bad managers that continue to get promoted due to cronyism and nepotism. One prominent Detroit elected official was hired the day that he got out of jail (the first time, before he went to prison). On the same day 200 good people were let go.

Employees are people not wastebaskets. Managers are people too, not Gods.

good work environment, nice colleges, fast-changing

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst Intern in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst Intern in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Compuware

Pros

- approachable to management
    - colleges are very nice
    - very nice office
    - fast moving
    - good for work-life balance

Cons

- not much promotion opportunities
    - not many challenging and exciting projects
    - not many training opportunities

more training sessions would be appreciated

Archaic management + vindictive culture

Current Employee - Traveling Consultant
    Current Employee - Traveling Consultant

I have been working at Compuware full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Can learn a lot, reasonable salaries and benefits

Cons

As a traveling consultant, my manager expected me to be in the office 8:00 am on the day after I returned from assignment, even if my plane arrived at midnight and I got home at 2 am. They would also expect me to be in the office on Friday, even though I spent all day Sunday traveling to a client site, worked 50-60 hours Monday - Thursday and got home Thursday night.
    Internal policy requires former employees to submit expenses within 60 days of leaving. I submitted expenses via Fedex about 50 days after I left so that I could include charges that trickle in late. I thought I was leaving on good terms, after many years and attempts to find employment locally that did not require travel. They did not reimburse me, presumably because it took several days for the reimbursement request to flow through the internal processes. I requested a change in 401k contribution near the end of my tenure so that much of my vacation and final pay would go into the 401k. I submitted the change well within the allotted time for changes but it was not processed. I called the payroll department - they said they refused to process the request after I submitted my resignation. Really? They really treat employees like dirt.

Treat employees like humans. Have policies for traveling employees that are respectful and in line with similar firms.

Mixed bag experience

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Detroit, MI

I worked at Compuware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked at headquarters. Beautiful facility, decent base wage, on site daycare with decent benefits. Company had very little debt when I worked there

Cons

Company seemed lost as its core products became obsolete. Seemed like my job was pointless. no 401k match. Company went to a different department every quarter and had mass lay offs to make their quarter for stock holders.

everybody that I know from there doesn't work there anymore......enough said.

Not good

I have been working at Compuware

Pros

Not too many pros anymore as we have been bought by Thomas Brava

Cons

Work environment is not good. Management will look for way to put blame anywhere but themselves use to be good company not anymore. Good riddance

Treat everyone fairly not just your favorites

Marketing

I worked at Compuware full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Application Performance Management Division of the business earned a leadership position in the Gartner Magic Quadrant. Very comprehensive set of APM technologies across Transaction monitoring, end use experience, real user monitoring and synthetic monitoring.

Cons

Compuware became a portfolio of unrelated businesses, which caused distractions from the legacy mainframe business and the App Perf Mgmt growth business. As is well documented, this lead to the eventual sell-off of the non-core businesses.

Unleash the APM division.