Compuware Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. The New Compuware

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with Compuware for almost 20 years. The company has obviously gone through a lot of transformation over that time, especially in the last 2 years. What used to be the Mainframe Business Unit within Compuware will now become a stand-alone company under private ownership. This will bring a laser focus as we build the largest, most successful company in the world dedicated to Mainframe Software. The early synergies of the Leadership team coupled with a renewed enthusiasm of everyone in the company will bring great results for years to come. Gone are the days of people thinking the Mainframe is dead or is dying over the next few years. The Mainframe is here to stay as a critical asset to the largest companies in the world. Compuware will be the trusted partner and the leader in this space!

I have never been more excited about the future of Compuware. I am glad to see other positive comments from my fellow employees. Past comments may have come from people of divested business units, so the true indicator are the recent comments and the ones as we progress forward. People will quickly realize that our new CEO brings about an amazing passion for success and a culture to celebrate these successes at all levels. You can safely bet on the future of Compuware!

Cons

We are moving fast; we just need to make sure the industry, our customers, and our employees understand and keep up with our "start up" mentality of a company that has been around 40 years. This can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Leave no customer behind!

2. Compuware: The vitality Is back. Exciting time for this "established start-up".

I have been working at Compuware

Pros

In the last six months Compuware has done the unthinkable, it has changed the entire peer momentum of the company into one that is focused on innovation and taking a leadership role within the entire mainframe ecosystem. Now that Compuware has shed other business units which only distracted from the value (and profitability) of the mainframe proposition, Compuware has positioned itself with the mentality of a "40 year old start-up". Really enjoyable to work for a company that believes it can be fast, fluid and deliver real customer value to the best companies in the world. Innovation is fun….period.

Cons

Need to continue to educate and get the message out that Compuware is starting a very exciting time for both clients and employees. We are still at stage one on that message, but we will get there.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward!! Great job in restarting the engine on some of the best intellectual property in the world.

3. 40+ year old company re-inventing itself

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compuware has been in the mainframe software market since the 70s so has an excellent vantage point for being successful in the mainframe software market. The company has a lot of people that have been there 20+ years and are very dedicated to their jobs. Most people have a great sense of pride in what they do and it's very inspiring. A new person coming into the company has so many experienced people to learn from. The new management is very transparent with all employees. Great benefits. Good working environment and great to be in downtown Detroit.

Cons

I'd like to see the company support the local community. Compuware used to be involved but funding ended when the company went private.

5. Great company, great pay

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The is a friendly place to work and they generally pay better than most companies for similar positions.

Cons

The desks are a bit small and the noise level can be a bit distracting at times.

6. Good

I have been working at Compuware

Pros

Culture is good. Not much politics. Give personal growth opportunities.

Cons

Need to use advance technology.

The "new" Compuware is on the move! I have worked at Compuware for 20 years - all within the mainframe group.

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compuware has great people, outstanding products and unparalleled support - and our future has never been brighter.

I have been fortunate to work in many different roles which has provided me with significant personal growth opportunities.

I have always felt the compensation, benefits and work-life balance aspects to be excellent. Work hard and make an impact - it won't go unnoticed and will provide you with great opportunities for growth.

Today, the "new" Compuware is vibrant, entrepreneurial and aggressively moving forward with a long-term strategy to lead the mainframe market place in innovation and customer value. Combine that with over 40 years of market leadership and significant human and technology assets and watch out... Compuware is on the move.

Cons

Any cons I might have are out-dated as there were times our executive management team was a bit challenged - but that is years ago and our new leadership is all-star caliber in terms of strategy, execution and communication.

I would like to add something that might help anyone looking at Compuware. I've skimmed through the hundreds of reviews here and noticed that most of the negative ones were posted from folks who were not in the mainframe business unit. Seeing as the "new" Compuware was formed by only the mainframe business unit, I'd suggest all those reviews are no longer valid - and if you used them to get an impression of today's Compuware you would not have an accurate picture - and might miss out on a fantastic opportunity to join us.

Advice to Management

Let's keep our foot on the accelerator!

8. Long Time employee, working in many different roles

I have been working at Compuware

Pros

New energy, great place to prove yourself.

Cons

Work-life balance is skewed toward the Company at this point.

Advice to Management

Keep Work-life balance in check

QA Analyst

I worked at Compuware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and flexible schedue

Cons

No opportunity for advancement, frequent layoffs

10. Riding the wave

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Compuware

Pros

Compuware has had a long-term strategic plan that is now coming to fruition with the split of its final two business units; APM is now called Dynatrace and is a separate company than Compuware with its mainframe solutions. The split has allowed Compuware's energy to be more focused and our leadership to work to create a more cohesive and unified work culture.

New leadership is work very hard to re-energize the company and turn Compuware into a fast-paced and agile organization committed to continuous innovation - so far this has worked but too early too tell if it is sustainable.

The employees are great. It really does feel like a community that cares about the people.

The new CEO, Chris O'Malley, is working to have more regular and transparent communication that Compuware has ever had.

Good benefits - healthcare, vacations days, 401K etc.

Cons

It can be challenging to work with the ups and downs of this transition period. Just like with any mainframe business, there needs to be more of a focus on the young professional development program because otherwise we won't have a future.

Something so big and so convoluted it was destined to fail.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Compuware full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked with some of the most brilliant technologists i've ever met. Amazing office located in Downtown Detroit.

Cons

No focus, no goals, a huge group of people that were hired because they either were friends of a friend or married into the right family with no training. The management team was so irrelevant and out of touch they didn't notice the company crumbling from the top floor in 3 piece suits. The last two years were life boats while hundreds of families and employees had their lives ruined.

Advice to Management

Stay small, focus and just learn from all of your many many mistakes.

RSS Feed </> Embed