Comverge Reviews

Updated October 1, 2014
2.9

Gregory J. Dukat
1 Rating

Was paid well and learned a lot but revolving door of staff was hard to overcome.

I worked at Comverge full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They pay competitive salaries, benefits are reasonable, work is engaging and fast paced at the operations level. There is a core of employees that know the business and keep things moving forward. Some really good folks to work with. Job duties change regularly so professional growth is available if you're willing to learn on your own as new challenges arise.

Cons

High Turnover at every level, shotgun approach to strategy (everything to everybody) which is constantly changing. Re-orgs every year made it hard to gain traction, produced angst at the employee level and left many in a constant search for something else.

Narrow the focus, treat clients like you want their business forever and give field offices some authority over HQ team members that are supposed to support them so that they can deliver results and delight clients.

Graphic Design Intern

Former Employee - Graphic Design Intern in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Graphic Design Intern in Norcross, GA

I worked at Comverge as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This company actually created an internship that related to my field of study which I greatly appreciated, even though it is not an advertising agency or in creative services. I was able to rotate working in different disciplines within the company including HR, IT, Graphic Design department, and Marketing. I appreciated all of the advice and the responsibilities they allowed me to take on to make the best out of my internship. It was overall a great experience

Cons

They were in the process of restructuring or about to right when I left.

Less Gossip

Smart ideas, smart people, constant change

Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Comverge as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Fascinating industry, a solution that truly will affect the future. A smart, hard working team with an agile approach to their customers problems.

Cons

Constant, grinding change in organizational structure. As a newly private corporation, the worst of this may be behind them. Short term goals don't always work with a very long term sales cycle.

Comverge will keep proving its solution and value in a very conservative industry.

Demand Response, Energy Efficiency, for Texas energy market and other deregulated markets

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Houston, TX

I worked at Comverge full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great product offering, ability to provide customers with an effective service that Is for the betterment of the environment through energy efficiency programs like demand response. Customers see actual benefits through financial rewards

Cons

Mis-directed and goals are not fully lined out or concrete. Limited resources to compete with major players and is not as well diversified in the energy industry as others

Outline better business plan to meet and exceed goals, too much restructuring that causes confusion and conflict

Decent

I worked at Comverge part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great group of people to work with; relaxed personalities (no one is too uptight); opportunity for advancement

Cons

Management focus is constantly changing; poor decisions and diretion; no trust in employees

Everyone should be on the same page

Unnecessarily challenging

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Comverge full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. They are both talented and passionate about what they do.

Cons

Lack of upper management support and accountability. Lack of direction and understanding of client needs.

Provide leadership.

decent

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Comverge full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

freedom to work at your creative pace

Cons

too remote, too secretive, too uninformed

try to communicate

Good at what they do...

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at Comverge full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Capable people. Professional. Not a lot of layers to management. Straight forward and honest with customers.

Cons

Poor backroom support. Slow to respond. Poor marketing material.

Beef up your support staff and provide more marketing material.

Could be an awesome place to work if some things were changed

Current Employee - Confidential in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Confidential in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Comverge full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is very good, flexible with PTO. Depending on your workload, you can get a very good work-life balance, at least sometimes. There is no making you feel guilty when you need a sick day, or frowning upon using up all of your PTO. Work is interesting, some of it very interesting. The actual work content is what keeps me happy and coming to work every day.

Cons

There are a fair amount of people here that either don't do their jobs correctly, or do them half-way, and/or have no results, and there seems to be no repercussions. Low performers are never let go. Low performers think they are doing a good job, which is scary to watch. If you work here, you will either be one of them, or have to put out fires after one of them. There is a general lack of understanding of the technical and operations side of many of our products and markets, which leads to work not being divied up correctly. Management seems to think (or hope that) markets and projects run themselves and designs positions accordingly, so some people work 9-5 next to others doing 8-7 for the same money.

There needs to be more focus on the day to day operations of our core businesses. We have many Directors and I see alot of meetings going on, but I think high level meetings are the wrong approach, or only part of it. We need to get more hands on with technology, projects, partners, and customers - and not just by pushing more work down to the very limited number of customer facing employees, who are the ones who already have the most work. Many people here have a "do as I say" mentality. I hope upper management sees through it one day. Also, new products need to come already! Development in that regard is very slow. Lastly, please stop hiring managers, Directors, and VPs. Really. We need more PMs and coordinators to manage the nitty gritty side of all of the projects we want to be doing.

Terrible leadership

I worked at Comverge full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and compensation plans

Cons

Terrible leadership. Employees are not recognized for the contributions to the companies success.

Look at employees contributions to the companies business instead of the bottom line.