Con Edison

www.conedison.com

Con Edison Reviews

Updated Apr 23, 2014
Con Edison – US – “office”

Con Edison Chairman and CEO; Chairman and CEO, Consolidated Edison of New York Kevin Burke

Kevin Burke

Transition

Office Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCon Edison offers a good benefits package, a competitive salary and offers a union for weekly paid employees. Management positions are available for various employees and as a transition will soon be taking place where the top talent will be needed for the company as many employees retire now is the time to apply if you are qualified.

ConsSome of the management employees that have been there for years are not as competent as they should be but have obtained their positions because of loyalty to the company. The company needs more work/life balance for new employees because they are at a period where they are competing for the top talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementCon Edison is about to change as many employees are about to retirement. Recruitment and selection will soon be a major issue for union positions as well as management positions. The top talent needs to be recruited and management employees need more training on issues pertaining to how to manage/supervise employees.

slow and steady

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe benefits (health, eye, dental, disability, 401k, discount stock, vaaction and sick pay) and job security (no lay-offs and great programs to help substance abusers get back on their feet) are good. Constant listings of job opprtunities throughout the company allow for some movement (there are restrictions on length of time in a postion before you can move again)

ConsVery beaurocratic (everything requires multiple levels of approvals, there are procedures upon procedures that are not used in the best sense- for training and standardized service - but instead are used in the most negative sense - for disciplinary action); It is slow to adopt new processes (again, many reviewers and multiple rounds of comments as well as well as culture with entrenched behavior from people doing the same job for many years); No entreprenurial spirit, lots of people marking time to retirement.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo you promote productivity changes? Do you reward cost cutting and effieciency?

Useful utility, but conservative

Project Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- New York - best city in the world!
    - At least what you do results in a product people need (electricity)!
    - Strong culture

Cons- Hard to break in to the "insiders" club
    - Poor internal IT services
    - Facilities at HQ are more than a little antiquated
    - Military style decision making - chain of command is sacrosanct
    - Emphasis on operations results in strange payment traditions - first line supervisors make more than some senior managers in staff positions

Advice to Senior Management- No Vice President of Sales or Marketing? Really?
    - Pick a strategy, any strategy - but the current non-strategy (do nothing) isn't too inspiring

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best in the industry, but you better get use to the culture.

Operating Supervisor (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe pay is fair for the industry, but living costs are high in New York. If you like underground electric distribution, there's no where else in the world where you'll learn more. You get to help run the city and it's very satisfying after a hard days work.

ConsVery structured and bureaucratically run. Sometimes, nepotism is rampant. The time requirments at the job can be very straining on your personal life, if you work in an operations department especially during certain periods of the year.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange is good when it comes to modernization and safety. But too much change all at once just turns people away from it in large groups and can be counter productive

Operator Mechanic A

Operator Mechanic A (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsLocation. Parking. Compensation. Benefits. A lot of opportunity to learn other positions.

ConsNone that I know of.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo new to offer advice.

Overall, Great.

Summer Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCon Edison is a great company in my eyes. They have both union workers, and management employees who all work together towards a common goal- providing the customer with steady/reliable service.

ConsFor the intern program, I feel that the interns could have been given more responsibilty. A lot was busy data / organizing work.

Great place to work! Good salary, solid hours, and nice people.

Full-time Engineer Trainee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI really felt I was using my technical skills as an engineer for the public good, for good pay, good pay and good job security. You get a wide exposure to many tasks. Great training program, which allows you to move your career where you want to go. Depending on your supervisor, they really work with you in terms of hours (early bird hours, one day off a week), and depending on your position, you can make a LOT of overtime at 1.5 pay, which is nice in an expensive city like NYC. Many people make a life-time commitment to the company.

ConsI felt the work was not challenging enough sometimes, and was often repetitive. It's a very vertical company, where your position on the totem matters a lot (too much sometimes). It's very old school and things are often "done that way, because they have always been done that way," so you encounter a lot of resistance to change, which as a young professional was frustrating. If you're an international student working there on a student visa, they do not sponsor you.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's unfortunate that after more than a year working for ConEd, loving the company and doing great work (as stated in one of the most amazing reference letters I have ever received from a former supervisor), there was no mechanism to sponsor an international student who had lived in the United States since I was seven, and it was sad that I felt strung along to the end, when I should have been encouraged to start looking for another company who would have sponsored me. I mention this not because I am currently in a bad situation, I'm doing great, found a great job, but I would not wish this situation on someone else. I suggest you be clear about this from the onset.

Secure job with ample opportunity for growth

Project Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsEmployment at Con Edison is very stable.

ConsThere are minimal raises and bonuses annually compared to other private sector jobs.

Great place to work at.

Engineering Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsThis is a steady, secure job with a great salary and great benefits. If you want to advance and do a good job, you can. If you want to spend the rest of your job in the same position, you can do that too.

ConsWe have too few vacation days, many poor/underperforming employees cannot be easily removed from their posts. Lot of favoritism and nepotism impacting hiring and promotion decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more feedback and lay off unproductive and underqualified employees. It is too dificult to fire someone, even a poor performer.

ConEdision is an excellent place to work!

Senior Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe benefits are good and the salary is competitive. The work life balance within the company is comparitive to no other company I know of. Managment is very thoruogh in communications and strive to develop your skills allowing you endless opportunities for advanacement if desired. Hard work and dedication are rewarded and the commrodary amongst employees is evident.

ConsThe work can be demanding and there is extreme criticism from media. The public opinion of the company is low but I believe this is based on little knowledge of how the electric utiltiy industry operates. With such a heavy population in the Metro NY area it is difficult an sometimes impossible to distribute the electricity as demanded.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the communication open and continue to recognize and reward achievements.

Worked for Con Edison? Contribute to the Community!