Con Edison
www.conedison.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Con Edison Reviews

Updated Apr 23, 2014
Con Edison – US – “office”

Con Edison Chairman and CEO; Chairman and CEO, Consolidated Edison of New York Kevin Burke

Kevin Burke

Operator Mechanic A

Operator Mechanic A (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsLocation. Parking. Compensation. Benefits. A lot of opportunity to learn other positions.

ConsNone that I know of.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo new to offer advice.

Overall, Great.

Summer Intern (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsCon Edison is a great company in my eyes. They have both union workers, and management employees who all work together towards a common goal- providing the customer with steady/reliable service.

ConsFor the intern program, I feel that the interns could have been given more responsibilty. A lot was busy data / organizing work.

Great place to work! Good salary, solid hours, and nice people.

Full-time Engineer Trainee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI really felt I was using my technical skills as an engineer for the public good, for good pay, good pay and good job security. You get a wide exposure to many tasks. Great training program, which allows you to move your career where you want to go. Depending on your supervisor, they really work with you in terms of hours (early bird hours, one day off a week), and depending on your position, you can make a LOT of overtime at 1.5 pay, which is nice in an expensive city like NYC. Many people make a life-time commitment to the company.

ConsI felt the work was not challenging enough sometimes, and was often repetitive. It's a very vertical company, where your position on the totem matters a lot (too much sometimes). It's very old school and things are often "done that way, because they have always been done that way," so you encounter a lot of resistance to change, which as a young professional was frustrating. If you're an international student working there on a student visa, they do not sponsor you.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's unfortunate that after more than a year working for ConEd, loving the company and doing great work (as stated in one of the most amazing reference letters I have ever received from a former supervisor), there was no mechanism to sponsor an international student who had lived in the United States since I was seven, and it was sad that I felt strung along to the end, when I should have been encouraged to start looking for another company who would have sponsored me. I mention this not because I am currently in a bad situation, I'm doing great, found a great job, but I would not wish this situation on someone else. I suggest you be clear about this from the onset.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Secure job with ample opportunity for growth

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsEmployment at Con Edison is very stable.

ConsThere are minimal raises and bonuses annually compared to other private sector jobs.

Great place to work at.

Engineering Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsThis is a steady, secure job with a great salary and great benefits. If you want to advance and do a good job, you can. If you want to spend the rest of your job in the same position, you can do that too.

ConsWe have too few vacation days, many poor/underperforming employees cannot be easily removed from their posts. Lot of favoritism and nepotism impacting hiring and promotion decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more feedback and lay off unproductive and underqualified employees. It is too dificult to fire someone, even a poor performer.

ConEdision is an excellent place to work!

Senior Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe benefits are good and the salary is competitive. The work life balance within the company is comparitive to no other company I know of. Managment is very thoruogh in communications and strive to develop your skills allowing you endless opportunities for advanacement if desired. Hard work and dedication are rewarded and the commrodary amongst employees is evident.

ConsThe work can be demanding and there is extreme criticism from media. The public opinion of the company is low but I believe this is based on little knowledge of how the electric utiltiy industry operates. With such a heavy population in the Metro NY area it is difficult an sometimes impossible to distribute the electricity as demanded.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the communication open and continue to recognize and reward achievements.

Excellent opportunity and great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours and team oriented

ConsNone specific cons at this position

It is good, meaningful work with unique challenges, but could be more inclusive of experienced hires.

Director (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsContrasted with other career choices, this is great for indivdiuals that need to stay close to home. The entire business is contained within driving distance. For those aspiring to drive change and improvement in a business, there is plenty of opportunity if you're able to persist and overcome resistance. Individuals love to talk about their jobs and share technical information. Although the benefit program has changed leaving some of the long-term employees upset, it is a terrific benefits package; people who have worked elsewhere truly appreciate it.

ConsMost employees including management are lifers and those are the ones receiving opportunities and rewards. It is a struggle to find any manager, director or VP promoted to the next level who has been with the company less than 10 years. External hires should be sure to get hired into the position they want because they will be there for a long time. Similarly, ideas from external hires are often disregarded, not rudely or overtly, merely ignored.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen promoting or staffing for new opportunities, consider whether selections may be biased by longevity. When benchmarking, include non-utilities, especially for non-utility functions. As more competitive threats are evovling in the marketplace, being the best utility may not be good enough.

Working for Con_Ed was a great experience

Electrical Safety Inspector (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThere is a great team of Supervisors and technical advisors there.

ConsThe 12 hour days, 7 days a week was killer.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to communicate with Each of you workers under your care, including the 'vendors' aka consultants as I was left in a location fore 22 hours (Someone forgot to tell the shift manager I was out there)

System Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAble to interact freely with both in-house clients company wide as well as technical savvy professionals. Creativity is welcome. Variety

ConsCommunication upward is a challenge, yet doable.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen lines of communication to listen to mid-level managers and support them not only if they are field supervisors. Higher levels of engagement can be achieved from back-office employees by providing them growth opportunities ( technical ad managerial)

Worked for Con Edison? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Con Edison reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Con Edison CEO Kevin Burke. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by Con Edison employees.