Con Edison

Con Edison Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
Updated October 18, 2014
3.2

Con Edison Chairman and CEO; Chairman and CEO, Consolidated Edison of New York Kevin Burke
Kevin Burke

Good place to learn about the utility industry

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Con Edison

Pros

Con Edison was a place where an intern has many opportunities to learn about the different aspects of an utility company. The managers are often relaxed and are eager to teach you and give you opportunities to experience things about ConEd that are perhaps not in your immediate job description.

Cons

It is a very large company so the management structure is very corporate. It is easy to feel disconnected with the overall goals of the company simply because there are so many people between any employee and the senior management.

Good, stable job, but bureaucracy runs rampant.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Con Edison

Pros

Good salary, decent benefits. There is room for growth, so long as you put in the required amount of effort.

Cons

Bureaucratic nightmare. Sometimes your efforts to effect positive change in the organization are undermined by sheer volume of rules, regulations and processes that have been put into place.

This Company would be much better served if upper management allowed employees latitude to make decisions, act upon them, and then evaluate the results.

OK

I worked at Con Edison

Pros

Location in new york city

Cons

Commute in new york city

Pay more money

Transition

Current Employee - Office Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Con Edison

Pros

Con Edison offers a good benefits package, a competitive salary and offers a union for weekly paid employees. Management positions are available for various employees and as a transition will soon be taking place where the top talent will be needed for the company as many employees retire now is the time to apply if you are qualified.

Cons

Some of the management employees that have been there for years are not as competent as they should be but have obtained their positions because of loyalty to the company. The company needs more work/life balance for new employees because they are at a period where they are competing for the top talent.

Con Edison is about to change as many employees are about to retirement. Recruitment and selection will soon be a major issue for union positions as well as management positions. The top talent needs to be recruited and management employees need more training on issues pertaining to how to manage/supervise employees.

slow and steady

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Con Edison

Pros

The benefits (health, eye, dental, disability, 401k, discount stock, vaaction and sick pay) and job security (no lay-offs and great programs to help substance abusers get back on their feet) are good. Constant listings of job opprtunities throughout the company allow for some movement (there are restrictions on length of time in a postion before you can move again)

Cons

Very beaurocratic (everything requires multiple levels of approvals, there are procedures upon procedures that are not used in the best sense- for training and standardized service - but instead are used in the most negative sense - for disciplinary action); It is slow to adopt new processes (again, many reviewers and multiple rounds of comments as well as well as culture with entrenched behavior from people doing the same job for many years); No entreprenurial spirit, lots of people marking time to retirement.

Do you promote productivity changes? Do you reward cost cutting and effieciency?

Useful utility, but conservative

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Con Edison

Pros

- New York - best city in the world!
    - At least what you do results in a product people need (electricity)!
    - Strong culture

Cons

- Hard to break in to the "insiders" club
    - Poor internal IT services
    - Facilities at HQ are more than a little antiquated
    - Military style decision making - chain of command is sacrosanct
    - Emphasis on operations results in strange payment traditions - first line supervisors make more than some senior managers in staff positions

- No Vice President of Sales or Marketing? Really?
    - Pick a strategy, any strategy - but the current non-strategy (do nothing) isn't too inspiring

The best in the industry, but you better get use to the culture.

Current Employee - Operating Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operating Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Con Edison

Pros

The pay is fair for the industry, but living costs are high in New York. If you like underground electric distribution, there's no where else in the world where you'll learn more. You get to help run the city and it's very satisfying after a hard days work.

Cons

Very structured and bureaucratically run. Sometimes, nepotism is rampant. The time requirments at the job can be very straining on your personal life, if you work in an operations department especially during certain periods of the year.

Change is good when it comes to modernization and safety. But too much change all at once just turns people away from it in large groups and can be counter productive

Operator Mechanic A

Current Employee - Operator Mechanic A in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operator Mechanic A in New York, NY

I have been working at Con Edison full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Location. Parking. Compensation. Benefits. A lot of opportunity to learn other positions.

Cons

None that I know of.

Too new to offer advice.

Overall, Great.

Current Employee - Summer Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Con Edison part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Con Edison is a great company in my eyes. They have both union workers, and management employees who all work together towards a common goal- providing the customer with steady/reliable service.

Cons

For the intern program, I feel that the interns could have been given more responsibilty. A lot was busy data / organizing work.

Great place to work! Good salary, solid hours, and nice people.

Former Employee - Full-time Engineer Trainee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Full-time Engineer Trainee in New York, NY

I worked at Con Edison as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

I really felt I was using my technical skills as an engineer for the public good, for good pay, good pay and good job security. You get a wide exposure to many tasks. Great training program, which allows you to move your career where you want to go. Depending on your supervisor, they really work with you in terms of hours (early bird hours, one day off a week), and depending on your position, you can make a LOT of overtime at 1.5 pay, which is nice in an expensive city like NYC. Many people make a life-time commitment to the company.

Cons

I felt the work was not challenging enough sometimes, and was often repetitive. It's a very vertical company, where your position on the totem matters a lot (too much sometimes). It's very old school and things are often "done that way, because they have always been done that way," so you encounter a lot of resistance to change, which as a young professional was frustrating. If you're an international student working there on a student visa, they do not sponsor you.

It's unfortunate that after more than a year working for ConEd, loving the company and doing great work (as stated in one of the most amazing reference letters I have ever received from a former supervisor), there was no mechanism to sponsor an international student who had lived in the United States since I was seven, and it was sad that I felt strung along to the end, when I should have been encouraged to start looking for another company who would have sponsored me. I mention this not because I am currently in a bad situation, I'm doing great, found a great job, but I would not wish this situation on someone else. I suggest you be clear about this from the onset.

Con Edison Photos