Con Edison of New York

Be The First To
Add Photos

Con Edison of New York President & CEO John McAvoy

John McAvoy

Pros
  • Offers great work life balance and is not too stressful(in 6 reviews)

• This is a great company to work for it has good benefits and you can learn a lot(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • New cost cutting techniques that they use are just in place for upper management to increase their yearly bonuses(in 5 reviews)

• Can have very little work/life balance(in 3 reviews)

Excellent company to work for

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Staten Island, NY

ProsThere are tons of opportunities to move up within the company. At my office, my coworkers treated me like family immediately.

ConsSince it's a utility company, you absolutely must be there at the hardest times to get to work: during blackouts, severe weather, etc.

Its a great place to work with the potential to advance if you work for it.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsLarge company has alot of mobility in many areas but you must work for it and prove yourself before any sort of advancement can occur.

ConsNo regular pension for new employees any longer and management benefits have changed in that the retirement age has increased and sick time decreased.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you dot your i's and cross your t's on everything you write.

Very enjoyable and interesting

Project Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsEvery day was a new and different experience

ConsNot too much chance of advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more meployees the opportunity for advancement

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack work ethics

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Flushing, NY

ProsMy position as an Administrative Assistant at Con Edison was challenging and intensive amount of work which I enjoyed because there was never a down time. co-workers are pleasant.

ConsCon Edison lacks work ethics, lacks organizational skills, unprofessional work environment. Management and Union employees are unpleasant to contractors because they feel threaten. Union employees complete very little work and the contractors are taken advantage for this reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementContractors should be treated with respect and proper understanding. I was there to help them not replace anyone.

Operator

ProsGood pay
    Job Security is good

ConsKey Performance Indicators are driving management people.
    They say safety is number one priority but in reality they want you to do whatever it takes to get job done.
    Benefits are not that great.
    Not a lot of ability to move, all of the opening are per-selected and it is not really Equal Opportunity.
    New cost cutting techniques that they use are just in place for upper management to increase their yearly bonuses.

Depends on your department

Summer Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsLaid back and work not stressful.

ConsCan be too laid back at times and you wonder how anything gets done

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

My experiences at the company were, to put it politely, less than pleasant. I found the work to be massively dull.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsTo be honest, this is probably a dream job for the average person. Base salary for entry-level positions requiring only a high school degree can pay as much $75,000/year; with a little over-time, it's not uncommon to see a data-entry clerk rack up 6 figures a year, and that's in addition to full medical benefits, paid vacations, a pension, company-sponsored 401(k) plans, and quite a few other perks. The best part: As long as you show up for work, you can be borderline brain dead and still not get fired, regardless of your productivity. With a compensation package like that, who needs college; but, if you want to go go college, they'll pay for that, too. So there's really not much for *most* employees to complain.

ConsThe major con regards the hiring process. The company is insanely nepotistic. So if you're looking to get a job there and don't have any inside connections, don't hold your breath. If you are already an employee there and you're trying to move up the corporate ladder, make sure to ingratiate yourself to the right people. At Con Ed, it's not what you know, it's who you know.

While there are some other very, very serious cons involving ethical issues, that's beyond the scope of this review, and they really don't have any practical being on whether or not one should consider applying for a job here.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn the same way that colleges use student evaluations of their professors to assess their performance, upper management should ask the employees of the managers they are supervising for their opinions about that manager and incorporate their opinions into their own evaluations of that manager for more thorough, and accurate, assessment.

Good Company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsOpportunity to advance and move throughout the Company. Quality employees working on a common goal, to keep the lights on safely. There are more opportunity for Engineers than general business people. Company offers good befit package.

ConsLarge Company, you need to understand the structure to make any kind of impact. Change comes slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementSick time policy could be better.

Great pay and stability

Mechanic A (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsExcellent tuition aid program with 100% reimbursement! Great salary with full medical and dental benefits. Union protection as a member of AFL-CIO. Company provides you with the best safety equipment for free!

ConsCon Ed has become a make a good slary and look for something better place. Vacation time is horrible. It takes 20 years to get 5 weeks vacation. Top pay for a posistion takes 8 years. Medical has become expensive with in-network deductibles and monthly premiums. The morale is in the toilet between management and union after union lockout . The union lost traditional pension in new contract for new employees entering the union. Cash balance system in place now. Management is severly disgruntled and does not support their employees in the field.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper hierarchy should focus on accountability of their lower level management. Con Ed promotes all the wrong people into their lower and mid level ranks. There is no great communicators and positive motivators at all through the management ranks. No one cares enough to make it better for everyone. A lot of older management employees buyinh the next few years before they retire. Might get better in the future.

Jack Pot

ProsIf you get a job here, it's like winning the lotto. You will basically get paid to sit around and do nothing. Great place to work, it's like a club. Imagine just sitting at your desk and surfing the net 8 hours per day.

ConsIts true, there is a big problem with folks putting their hands in the cookie jar ;) I ran into it my first month on the job.

Advice to Senior Managementyour doing a great job, change nothing!

Worked for Con Edison of New York? Contribute to the Community!