Con Edison of New York Reviews

Reset
3.6
Con Edison of New York President & CEO John McAvoy
John McAvoy

Pros
  • Offers great work life balance and is not too stressful (in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits including tuition for college (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • New cost cutting techniques that they use are just in place for upper management to increase their yearly bonuses (in 6 reviews)

• Morale is low, many management employees are leaving and the experienced staff is diminishing (in 4 reviews)

1. Its great to be a con ed employee

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Con Edison of New York

Pros

There are many great reasons to work for Con Edison. They offer great benefits such as vision and medical, and there is room to grow and move up in the company. There are so many different departments and jobs that you can apply for within the company. Its not just a job, working for con ed is a career.

Cons

To be honest there are none that come to mind. It is a great company to work for. I just wish there was an employee discount on our bills.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what they do

2. Great company

Former Employee - Engineering Supervisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Engineering Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at Con Edison of New York

Pros

I worked as a term contractor for Con Edison. I served for 9 months. I believe that Con Edison has a great corporate culture. Everyone I worked with on my term was very friendly and helpful. Lots of people I talked to loved the company. I would definitely recommend con edison to peers.

Cons

The only complaint i have is the commute from New Jersey to Manhattan. I don't think this is a problem for people who use the public transportation.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Earn yourself the financial security and job stability you deserve, working for an amazing New York company.

Current Employee - Senior Substation Operator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Substation Operator in New York, NY

I have been working at Con Edison of New York

Pros

If you are looking for an excellent union job - this is the one. Think you can't work for Con Ed because you don't have the experience - you don't need it. You just need to have some basic smarts in math, reading, and comprehension and have the willingness and drive to jump through a LOT of hoops to get what you want. You're getting paid to go to school - can't say that about a Local 3 job in the city. You get paid to learn how to do the job. What an opportunity! For all the effort I have put into my career with Con Edison, it has most definitely paid off. Excellent pay, medical benefits, pension, 401K, and employee stock purchase plan. Do the work you are expected to do and you are practically guaranteed a retirement... and a pretty good one, at that. I am in substation operations. If you are looking for a union job, I don't think there's any better department to be in. If I want to move up the career "ladder", I've got options for advancement. Of course, nothing is ever perfect - but nearly everybody at work is very happy with their job. Lots of opportunity to make overtime... Don't want it? No problem - go home and enjoy your life, family, whatever. Act like a professional - you get treated like a professional from management. Overall, by far - the best job I've ever had. I've got no plans of ever leaving. Con Edison will be the company responsible for giving me financial stability in my life. Don't forget about job stability. In a market where people are afraid of losing their job, there is no shortage of demand for power and the support needed to maintain the system. And isn't that why we go to work in the first place? Stability in your life. Con Ed - best job I've ever had.

Cons

There is no company so perfect to work at that you couldn't find a downside. Con Edison is no different. Like any job, you've got a very diverse workforce and the range of personalities that come along with that. You better know how to deal with that or you're going to have problems. There are a lot of people out there who lack good communication skills. Con Edison prides itself in supporting what they call their "core values" and "open communication" is one of them. I would prefer they change it to "good communication" or something that reflects more than simply being "open" because there are many people in both union and management that could substantially benefit from better communication skills. Regarding recognition and feedback.... I wish it were better, but it's not. Look to get feedback from your peers, because in my position I spend a lot of time working independently. I would say that your own good communication skills might help to gain proper recognition and feedback. Other positions in the department work more closely with supervision so it is likely different than my experience. Recognition is rare, so take pride in the work you do because you know you're doing a good job. Again, there are ways to promote being positively recognized so a good effort in this area will bring it's rewards. Senior management... If we're talking about the CEO and top-tier management - who am I to judge them? I don't work with them, I likely don't understand all of the complexities of the issues they deal with... The company is profiting, we all still have our jobs, life is good - so I give the top-tier management an A+ for their work. Mid and lower level management... Good people - all of them. I don't think I've met anyone who didn't take their job seriously. But there is an adversarial relationship that is clearly evident between union and management that interferes with the way things get done. That doesn't necessary put all the blame with management, though. The bottom line is that people who understand how to act professionally manage to get things done with other people who understand how to act professionally. In a perfect world everyone respects you and everything is handled fairly. Sometimes I'm really satisfied with things like fairness and respect and some days I feel like I don't get the respect or am treated as fairly as others. That's life, what else can I say. You can't be thin-skinned about these things or it will really bother you. But that's at any job and Con Ed is no different. It's a great job.

Advice to Management

I'm real happy with my job. Best company I've ever worked for. Please don't take away my pension. It's one of the main reasons why I want to work for and retire from Con Edison. Please. You offer the work force an incredible opportunity, please don't compromise it by reducing the great benefits we receive.

5. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at Con Edison of New York

Pros

Opportunities to learn and to grow professionally. You are encouraged to try new things and work in many departments.

Cons

Some jobs require very long hours.

Advice to Management

Encourage middle managers to stay in their assignments longer -- like for 5 years or more. This way they live with the results of their changes. Re-establish the library at 4 Irving Place.

6. You learn a lot from this company

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Con Edison of New York part-time (More than a year)

Pros

everything is setup good pay managers are really appreciative of your work

Cons

There really no cons about Con Edison

7. would love to work there again

Current Employee - Lineman in Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Current Employee - Lineman in Sleepy Hollow, NY

I have been working at Con Edison of New York full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Steady work in the field They trained me in and I really enjoyed. Always went to work

Cons

Personally. NONE that is why I want to go back with them. I left ONLY when my wife had breast cancer

Advice to Management

Hire me back

Jack Pot

I have been working at Con Edison of New York full-time

Pros

If you get a job here, it's like winning the lotto. You will basically get paid to sit around and do nothing. Great place to work, it's like a club. Imagine just sitting at your desk and surfing the net 8 hours per day.

Cons

Its true, there is a big problem with folks putting their hands in the cookie jar ;) I ran into it my first month on the job.

Advice to Management

your doing a great job, change nothing!

Good Company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Con Edison of New York full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to advance and move throughout the Company. Quality employees working on a common goal, to keep the lights on safely. There are more opportunity for Engineers than general business people. Company offers good befit package.

Cons

Large Company, you need to understand the structure to make any kind of impact. Change comes slow.

Advice to Management

Sick time policy could be better.

Very enjoyable and interesting

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Con Edison of New York full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Every day was a new and different experience

Cons

Not too much chance of advancement

Advice to Management

Give more meployees the opportunity for advancement

11. ***

Current Employee - Senior Electrical Technician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Electrical Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at Con Edison of New York full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very Good company to work for

Cons

Too big to slow, no defference between good employees and mediocres

Advice to Management

Perks are non existing

RSS Feed </> Embed