Con-way Enterprise Services
www.con-way.com Portland, OR 500 to 999 Employees

Con-way Enterprise Services Reviews

Updated May 16, 2014
Con-way Enterprise Services – “Portland Campus”

Douglas Stotlar

Friendly place to work

ProsMy experience at Con-way has been a very good one. I work with lots of good people, I have a flexible schedule and the environment is pretty laid back.

ConsSometimes I find I don't have access to the types of resources I would expect from a large company. And a few years ago they outsourced their technical support to India. It is super frustrating trying to get an tech issues resolved.

Steer clear - Looks good until you get through the door, then look out!

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsChallenging work that would be interesting except for the Cons...

Pay and benefits - though mandatory medical information in their system to get discounts seems like an invasion of privacy.

Dress is casual and opportunity to telecommute.

On site cafeteria, bistro, work out facilities and activities.

Parking is right by the building and it's free. Bus stops right by the building.

Lots of really great restaurants within easy walk.

ConsLow quality management not trained or qualified for their jobs. No management support to employees... managers play favorites and look for things to find fault with their reports. It's not a supportive environment.

Long term employees do not share or welcome new people for fear of losing their jobs - you never feel welcome or part of the team. If you are good at what you do and current in technology, you will not be welcome. There are lots of fun things going on there, but unless you are part of the 'in' crowd, you aren't allowed to join in.

Work environment is "co-locations" more like "pens" - not enough space to work, too many people in too small a space, no privacy.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house in your management and hire from the outside. You need a fresh crew. Don't indoctrinate them into the current Con-way culture - you need a change and you need the new people to drive that change. Your bragging that you have long term employees is misleading. The people who are there for "years" stay out of fear and run off the new people who try to bring in new, innovative and fresh ideas.

Stop promoting within. Unqualified people are destroying your teams.

Con-way IT Out Sourcing

Senior Developer (IT) (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsThe developers that have stuck with the company are Heroes! Sadly!

ConsOMG where to start? 1.Managers out number developers. 2. Managers make the decisions (top -> down). 3.Managers are all white and old except for 1 or 2 token Indians. 4. The 'top' Managers are the 'worst' sharks who have stabbed everyone else in the back. 5. The top IT managers are the least technical people. 6. Management is top heavy and they drive fancy cars to prove it! 7.It is like little India here! 8. Unpaid overtime is the norm.

Advice to Senior Management1. 'Lean' is for manufacturing Toyota cars, not for software development.
    2. You should know what 'Agile' IS before you spout the 'terminology'.
    3. Adding more layers of managers won't solve your problems ..only compound them.
    4. Managers aren't accountable.
    5. Many IT Managers are failed developers or just evil munchkins! The last managers meeting was all about re-naming some teams! Seriously, you get paid for that?
    6. Outsourcing is killing developer morale and killing their pay raises. Oh of course except for managers' pay. Why do the managers all drive fancy cars? V8 Kompressor anyone?
    7. Employees don't trust managers and are too scared to say anything. Employees work unpaid overtime on Sundays, and any day they are told to.
    8. HR is run by a total witch!
    9. Trucking is a dying Industry. The Senior Managers, the lack of money, and OUTSOURCING are BIG problems.
    10. Some of the senior managers are total asses. The last CIO (Jackie) was canned for outsourcing critical people to HP and causing widespread IT chaos.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Always something new

Portland, OR

ProsOne of the best things about working at Con-way in the company culture! Everyone here is willing to lend a helping hand, advice, or just generally help in any way they can. I work within a fantastic team that jives very well together. Each person has their own expertise, and each person contributes something different.

ConsOutsourced IT and benefits are two parts of Con-way that need improving. Outsourcing IT causes several issues, and not having sick time can be challenging when trying to take time off.

Great Company!

ProsCollaborative company culture, large projects going on, innovative in industry, environmentally conscious, people driven

ConsPTO could be better up front

New to Con-way- Best kept secret in Portland

Portland, OR

ProsI joined Con-way one month ago. Since joining, I have been welcomed with enthusiasm and trust from the team I work within all the way up to the senior leaders on the campus. the directionof the company continues to be one that is both steeped in a very long tradition and history as well as one that is on the leading edge of technology and sustainability within its industries. Great on-boarding and continue to make a difference even as I learn a new organization. Very community driven company and located right in the Pearl district for those who love great restaurants, entertainment and shopping!

ConsLike most long standing companies, decision making can at times be done by consensus. PTO could be better up front.

Advice to Senior ManagementRelook at the PTO benefits to attract the best talent.

skip this place

Whipping Fool IT Person (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

Prosvery few -- its right off the freeway -- you get unemp. benefits after their one of many layoffs

Consthey are always firing -- you will work on technology that you will never use again after they let you go -- also, long term employees will put you down as they protect their turf

Advice to Senior Managementyou outsourced most of the programmers and kept a lot of dead weight -- is this getting your projects done and better and/or faster? Didn't think so

Great Place to Stagnate - Lousy Management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsFair pay, vacation and benefits.

ConsVery clear "in" group who gets all promotions at the corporate level.
    Good place to be if you are one of the favorites.
    Your opinion is not valued. Be ready not to think and do what you are told.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people grow to their own capacity, not just their current job description.

Positive and upbeat, low drama high integrity

Portland, OR

ProsGood people, conscientious , rewarded for inquisitive proactive behavior.

ConsUncertainty how they will weather the next recession.

Challenging but fun

Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsPlenty of challenge, always something happening. Respect for proactive workers. Active employees are rewarded with more challenges. Great place to stretch your skill set including if desired outside of your area of expertise.

ConsAttempts have been made to eliminate the islands of technology but still too many turf battles. Expensive IT solutions are chosen over business solutions by specific groups that seem to have more say than others. Decisions are not always made on ROI or TCO.

Advice to Senior ManagementRather than outsourcing IT, work to merge technology groups. Take a serious look at ROI for some of the existing solutions. When considering ROI include the price of your employees (plus contractors) that manage those solutions, and number of managers needed to manage. The business should not support IT, IT should support the business. You need to ween yourself off of the expensive IT solutions when better alternatives actually cost less over all. Don't be fooled by cheaper upfront costs.

Worked for Con-way Enterprise Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Con-way Enterprise Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Con-way Enterprise Services CEO Douglas Stotlar. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Con-way Enterprise Services employees.