Con-way Enterprise Services

www.con-way.com
  www.con-way.com

Con-way Enterprise Services Reviews

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
3.3

Douglas Stotlar

True to Values!

I have been working at Con-way Enterprise Services

Pros

I recently started working for Con-way this year and have had a great experience so far. I've been challenged, inspired, and currently in the process of making Con-way a more efficient. My on-boarding experience was great, my training was exceptional, and it has been wonderful getting to know everyone. Our company values are held true, and I'm inspired to work at Con-way.

Cons

The most important element to improving a business is understanding where that business can improve. We are a leader in Freight and Logistics, we are a 5.6 billion dollar global organization. We have an old school mentality that at times can make us stubborn, but we have leaders in this organization that understand we need to continue toward changing this thinking in order to develop with the times and push forward for years to come.

Continue to understand that we are not perfect, and use our strengths to overcome our weaknesses.

Good opportunties

I have been working at Con-way Enterprise Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company offers opportunities to work on diverse projects. I'm fortunate to be part of a highly collaborative team of people who are excited by the work they do. The majority of people I interact with across the business are happy to be here and feel they're making contributions in their roles. Benefits are very good. There's good diversity in the employee population. The Portland office is in a great location - close to restaurants, shopping, bike trails, parks, free parking - it's easy to find a running partner or a workout buddy for the gym (which is located in the business). Work/life balance is good with opportunties to telecommute. There are some strong mentors in the organization.

Cons

Parts of the business still feel old-school. The company needs to revitalize some programs to stay relevant with your competition. You would attract more candidates by offering front-loaded PTO, paid time off for volunteering, and tuition reimbursement. Outsourced IT continues to be painful.

Grateful for the opportunity to work here

Current Employee - Executive Assistant
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant

I have been working at Con-way Enterprise Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are wonderful - lots of diversity and people are overwhelmingly positive - great recruiting

Cons

Large company - can be impersonal

IT is just a cost...

I have been working at Con-way Enterprise Services full-time

Pros

Friendly staff (what's left of them) and competitive pay scales. Decent company culture with open door policy and middle managers that are generally willing to hear you out.

Cons

The company has been in outsource, outsource, outsource mode for the past 10 years and this trend only seems to be continuing. Software engineers were the first group to take a big hit, but then infrastructure suffered the same fate with over 200 engineers, sysadmins, and technicians losing their jobs in the past 5 years to outsource vendors. They are taking a multi-vendor approach where vendor A may own networking, vendor B owns development for apps x, y, z, and vendor C owns servers. Predictable outcome with environments falling down technology ladder and projects becoming more and more delayed.

This is a 20k+ employee company without a CIO or CTO. I say again, this is a 20k+ employee company without a CIO or CTO. There is no technology vision or roadmap from upper management save from what latest news they've read in InfoWeek. There are some talented engineers and architects in the company, but they are largely ignored as company lurches from one cost saving project to another.

Engineers, programmers, hackers, and architects cannot be replaced by low level technicians following PDFs and project managers following a deadline.

Stay away from this place....you have been warned.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Con-way Enterprise Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a place to work while you look for a better place or job. I would never have worked here if I could have seen the future.

Cons

Health and welfare benefits are terrible. Huge copays with equally huge deductibles. Unions are trying to get into the drivers to help with increasing wages/benefits and management wonders why? Trust me, it looks good on the outside, but it is terrible. They pay lower than most tech jobs in the area but are trying to look for top talent. 2% in the new norm for all performance review increases. HR doesn't walk the talk and the HR management is totally untrustworthy and fake. Several leaders have an entitlement perspective due to their time on the job. Many solid long term middle managers have been leaving now that the economy is picking up. In all honesty, there is no saving grace to Con-way CES, it's just a place to kill time to get to something better....a resume filler!

Senior management, you're part of the problem. Look at the way your management team treats people and really question if you have the right leaders in place, or if they need to be put out to pasture.

A company with values

Current Employee - Software Developer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Con-way Enterprise Services as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Con-way talks a lot about their values, which include Integrity, Safety, Collaboration and a couple more I cannot remember off the top of my head. Anyways, a lot of other companies talk a big talk when it comes to their values, but Con-way really means it. The people are nice and friendly and they're all very helpful. Everyone is approachable.

Cons

Most of the technology they use is older, though not ancient, it can be painful at times. They are working on changing this and they're always open to hearing people out for possible changes.

None

Software Engineering Intern

I worked at Con-way Enterprise Services as an intern

Pros

Very friendly and warm office culture, unpretentious

Cons

Organization, on-boarding, pay, prestige, but would recommend

Old fashioned IT - top down management and lot's and lot's of it!

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Portland, OR

I worked at Con-way Enterprise Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's very diverse but the management are all white and the developers are all offshore, Indian or Phillipino. Office is in a good location. Parking is free.

Cons

1. The layers and layers of middle management, that slow everything down.
    2. You have to call an HP help line to get anything done now. It can take days to get a security rule or database chane made.
    3. Old technology and huge technical debt and poor quality code, because they hire mostly cheap/inexperienced developers. Code maintenance is a nightmare here!
    4. They expect you to work Sundays when code is implemented and carry a cell phone.
    5. HR is run by an evil witch that everybody hates. Some of the managers are bullies and hold grudges.
    6. They are NOT agile in any sense of the word. The software Architects have given up. Management make technical and design decisions and set dates for projects. Ughhh just a sad mess.
    7. They are a trucking firm for goodness sake and dont have a clue how to run software development projects.

Yeah, there are way TOO MANY of you! Some of you are not nice people.

A good place to be - but can be better.

Pros

The processes and functions are still developing - opportunity for self starters to shine. Opportunity to work on diverse supply chain engagements. Encourages telecommuting once a week at the HQ.

Cons

Leadership does not seem to communicate often and adequately. I feel that the vision and strategy can be good areas to start. Lessons from past engagement are captured but often never learned.

Set your course by the lights of the stars and not by the lights of the passing ships. But please do set sail and move forward already!

Friendly place to work

Pros

My experience at Con-way has been a very good one. I work with lots of good people, I have a flexible schedule and the environment is pretty laid back.

Cons

Sometimes I find I don't have access to the types of resources I would expect from a large company. And a few years ago they outsourced their technical support to India. It is super frustrating trying to get an tech issues resolved.

Con-way Enterprise Services Photos

Portland Campus