Con-way Freight

www.con-way.com

Con-way Freight Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Con-way Freight President and Chief Executive Officer Douglas W. Stotlar

Douglas W. Stotlar

Pros
  • fairly good pay for the area I'm located n(in 18 reviews)

• Good benefits and learning capacity(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours no start time for guys with low seniority(in 15 reviews)

• Training is very outdated in the field, and upper-management is very removed from what really goes on in any operation(in 8 reviews)

Very good company to work for.

ProsThey promote from within and experience counts as much as education.

Consthe hours can be challenging at times

Advice to Senior Managementsupervisory and management income is behind in industry standards

A fine place to get OTR experience

OTR Driver (Former Employee) Joplin, MO

ProsDrivers are generally treated with respect, the equipment is kept in good condition, lots of small perks like the ability to choose your own routing or bank days off, etc. There are still many employees who take pride in their work.

ConsCompany thinks 10,000 miles/month is good for an over the road driver. Pay rates lag industry as well. Driver turnover used to be lowest in the industry, but it is rapidly rising as the brass focuses their attention on attracting lower-cost employees (new hires and those with little experience). As a result, the company is no longer positioned as the premium service offering the drivers could take pride in.

Advice to Senior ManagementSteer the company back towards being the premium service provider it once was. Don't slip into the mega-carrier mold. Reward service & production.

Not bad

Driver (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood pay, great benefits, Got plenty of overtime

ConsDysfunctional management They don't pat you on the back for doing a good job

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating employees like numbers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just wear the uniform...

Driver Sales Representative (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsPay is VERY good, benefits were continuously reduced but better than most, company core values were solid...

ConsYou soon realize that regardless how much they pay you, it isn't enough! Company doesn't value the hard workers so the mediocre ones prevail, poor morale, high-stress job (company induced), underpaid management created disdain and disrespect with the core employees (the drivers)...

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to the principles the company was founded upon. Treat the drivers with respect and you'll receive it in return.

Great Company

Freight Operations Manager (Current Employee) Plainfield, IN

ProsThe people are friendly great environment.

ConsSometimes I put a lot of extra hours in.

Don't bother working here. Dead end job

Dock Worker (Current Employee) Blythe, CA

ProsDecent pay..I have to add five words but that's too many to describe the pros of working here

ConsThe hours, the management, the pay could be better. No real opportunities to move up, working conditions are terrible. Morale is terrible, supervisors can keep track of the hours. Company clearly doesn't care about the customer or it's workers. Maybe it's just my service center but it's a bad place to work

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better and maybe you won't lose all your good ones

Doesn't live up to its reputation

Dsr (Current Employee) North Atlanta, GA

ProsWhere to begin? Well, you get 5 free uniforms. If you need/want more you have to pay for them. 6 paid holidays. Most of the drivers are pretty good people. You get a paycheck. Yep,thats about it

ConsMicromanagement to the inth degree, crap for handheld computers, computers always crashing. When the weather goes cold fork lifts wont start. Benefits suck for first year employees. Pay is ok but if you think your going to get ahead you are mistaken. You wear many hats here.City driver, dock worker,yard jockey, linehaul driver. Hell if you have mechanical experience they would have you working on trucks too.IF you can get overtime it will only be by minutes. Start times are non existant until you have been there at least 5 yrs. They call you approxamately 2 hrs before you are required to startand by god don't be late. Never know when your getting off. Get a raise then cut your hours. When i started driving a truck 20 yrs. ago Conway was the place to work. Great pay,plenty of O.T great benefits, pd vacations, personal time off. To get on with Conway people had to die before a position opened. I will say their is at least one person in management that is really trying to figure out the problem at our terminal and trying to amend the problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementWanna keep employees,quit worrying about your bonuses. Hand out O.T (at least down here in the south). That is one reason there is a high turn over. A person works 40 to 49 hrs a week and only brings home between $600 and $700. If a driver is used to making more and now you don't make enough to cover your bills and buy food drivers wont stay.

Good Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA good company to work for, very innovative and ahead in the LTL industry. Benefits and pay are current with the rest of the industry.

ConsProjects and new undertakings can become overbearing at times, needs to delay some projects until others are working correctly.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

One of the worst places I've worked for. XIN terminal (Plainfield, IN)

Dispatch (Former Employee) Plainfield, IN

ProsMeeting new people and learning a few things here and there.

ConsManagement, hours, the amount of unprofessionalism is mind blowing. No room for growth, and a lot of false promises.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch your supervisors more often, shadow them often. Pay attention to each and every employee. Some may be great employees and you're just looking over them and paying more attention to someone who has been there a year longer. Seniority is great in small doses. Some of the people have been there for years but have no idea how to do their job. Pay attention to those who have been there less, you'd be surprised with their skills.

Was

FSC, and Field Operations (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsThe general office or FSC (Field Support Center) was a good experience, and a good place to start. Most people are helpful, and treat you with respect. Training seems to be getting better all the time.

ConsThe work ethics and culture are very different depending on the region of the United States you work in. Training is very outdated in the field, and upper-management is very removed from what really goes on in any operation. Morale is seemingly very low all over the country and the company doesn't know it or seems to choose not to acknowledge it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more supportive of struggling operations, and employees. Treat your employees like they really are your most competitive advantage. Don't just hang banners saying it. Support employees personal growth, and stress importance of family and work-life balance more.

Worked for Con-way Freight? Contribute to the Community!