Con-way Freight Reviews in Joplin, MO

Updated June 24, 2014
Updated June 24, 2014

2.6

Con-way Freight President and Chief Executive Officer Douglas W. Stotlar
Douglas W. Stotlar

Pros
  • fairly good pay for the area I'm located n (in 18 reviews)

• Good benefits and learning capacity (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours no start time for guys with low seniority (in 15 reviews)

• Training is very outdated in the field, and upper-management is very removed from what really goes on in any operation (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A fine place to get OTR experience

Former Employee - OTR Driver  in  Joplin, MO
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in Joplin, MO

I worked at Con-way Freight full-time for more than a year

Pros

Drivers are generally treated with respect, the equipment is kept in good condition, lots of small perks like the ability to choose your own routing or bank days off, etc. There are still many employees who take pride in their work.

Cons

Company thinks 10,000 miles/month is good for an over the road driver. Pay rates lag industry as well. Driver turnover used to be lowest in the industry, but it is rapidly rising as the brass focuses their attention on attracting lower-cost employees (new hires and those with little experience). As a result, the company is no longer positioned as the premium service offering the drivers could take pride in.

Steer the company back towards being the premium service provider it once was. Don't slip into the mega-carrier mold. Reward service & production.

Delivered on time freight via tractor trailer.

Former Employee - Professional Driver  in  Joplin, MO
    Former Employee - Professional Driver in Joplin, MO

I worked at Con-way Freight full-time for more than a year

Pros

Freedom of being on the open road.

Cons

Being gone from home 7 days a week.

Better treatment of your drivers and a lot more training.

Disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joplin, MO

I have been working at Con-way Freight full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I wish I could think of something good to say.

Cons

Driver's are not treated well and some of the upper management have no idea or experience in the trucking industry. The "good buddy" system runs wild in the operations department. If you go to the right gym, are not a woman, are not goal oriented and have no desire to help the company grow you will be successful.

Take better care of the people that care about the company and weed out the lazy people that are there for a pay check. Anyone that sleeps in front of their employees should be gone.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good company. Dispatchers have time to listen to any complains that you might have.

Current Employee - Truck Driver  in  Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Joplin, MO

I have been working at Con-way Freight full-time for more than a year

Pros

They will., management will listen to you.

Cons

OTR., just like all the others companies out there.

The OTR drivers should get more miles to compensate staying out for so long. The bench mark is 2500 miles just like all those companies out there, but what if at the end of the week you can make the same amount back home. Just think about that.

Great Company

Former Employee - OTR Driver  in  Joplin, MO
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in Joplin, MO

I worked at Con-way Freight full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Always having full availability to our fleet manager. Ran a dedicated run from Santa Fe Springs to Newtown Pennsylvania every week.

Cons

Other than not being home, really no cons. But that goes with the job of being an OTR driver

Look into adjusting your HazMat pay. .05 extra a mile, isn't really compensating us for our knowledge and safety training.

great company to work for

Current Employee - Truck Driver  in  Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Joplin, MO

I have been working at Con-way Freight full-time for more than a year

Pros

pay is pretty good,company takes care of you to make sure you feel like part of a team,will stay with this company until i find a local job,xm in all trucks

Cons

its all 48 states and canada

keep it up,your doing things the right way

Con way has been a good company to work for.

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver  in  Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Joplin, MO

I have been working at Con-way Freight full-time for less than a year

Pros

Dipatchers as well as management are good and fair people to work for.

Cons

Not enough time off after long period of time out.

Con-Way is a laid back, teamwork focused organization.

Current Employee - Account Specialist  in  Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - Account Specialist in Joplin, MO

I have been working at Con-way Freight full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Con-way provides a fun environment to work in. Strong open-door policy.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement. Very stressful and fast-paced work environment at times.

6 months. I'm Ready quit because of the hassles and no money.

Current Employee - Driver  in  Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - Driver in Joplin, MO

I have been working at Con-way Freight

Pros

Clean terminals, a lot of nice people, mostly outside of headquarters, clean trucks. Good cafeteria in Joplin. Paid weekly. Highlight home time where ever you want to go. Some local dispatch guys will tell you all the loads and allow you to pick what you want. This is awesome when you get to pick what you want.It should always be that way. Forced dispatch sucks.

Cons

Always on hold with dispatch, road service, and shop for a long time. They will slap a service failure on you quick but never on a dispatcher for not responding to you or giving you the wrong address. They want to know when you start home time and when you will be coming back on duty. As you arrive on duty they never have a plan for you so you can sit for hours waiting for a load. Never can seem to get a preplan. They hide all pick up and delivery windows from drivers so its a game you have to play with them. If they say deliver by 8am if you say you can't them they come back and say O we have a window until Midnight or whatever. This game sucks. Maintenance shop in Joplin is so SLOW. They will hold you up for days. Best thing is to take your maintenance issues home so you get more home time. They are making great profits but still haven't given us a 401k. Was told in training we would make .30c until 30000 miles then jump to .32c. Well that change to 600000 miles.
    Home time is 2 day for 14 out but they somehow lose the request and get you home later. Medical insurance is not good for new hires. Its either a $2000 or 4000 Deductible until your 2nd or 4th year. No dental until your 2nd year. In my 6 months I have only had 2 weeks of 3000 plus miles and the rest has been 2000 and below. Dispatchers lie about everything and play dumb. I called HR to confirm a few things and even they couldn't believe what the dispatcher said. Shortly after me calling HR I got a phone call from my Fleet manager (dispatcher) with a whole new attitude on the correct policy. These games they play suck. Drivers are the most dedicated employees in the company. We live in a company truck 24/7 then get screwed around when we want to go home. You have to beg for more than 2000 miles. Drivers at any company should be treated better being that they are the dedicated ones in the end living at the company. Sign on trailer says It's Better Here. Hummm??? :(

Company has so much potential to be the best. Great outer shell. Lots of freight. But VERY POOR planning from planners and dispatchers for your drivers. We sit to long waiting for loads with no pay. You ask use to help save fuel, but leave use sitting. I don't want to Idle trust me, I want to be rolling. You beg use to fuel at terminals or freight yards but offer us no incentive for doing this. I'd rather get free food and points by going to fuel stations. Pay Drivers their worth. Match home time of other companies like JB or Marten 12 out 2 off. Using OTR or Regional drivers for 4 or 5 hours for a local run 10 miles away and only paid $20 bucks is again poor planning. Local drivers should only get these. Make detention pay automatic, Pay layover pay starting after 12 hours not 48. Make us feel valued. Allow for service failures on dispatch as easy as you do on drivers. They fail me more often than I do them. President needs to get out of the office and be visible and interact with drivers weekly.

Worked for Con-way Freight? Contribute to the Community!