Con-way Freight

www.con-way.com
  www.con-way.com

Con-way Freight Reviews

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014
2.7

Con-way Freight President and Chief Executive Officer Douglas W. Stotlar
Douglas W. Stotlar

Pros
  • It is good pay for a part time job 18 plus a hour (in 23 reviews)

• good benefits time off is good and not to hard of work (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours no start time for guys with low seniority (in 15 reviews)

• Training is very outdated in the field, and upper-management is very removed from what really goes on in any operation (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

I was one of the best driver in Norcross Lawrenceville Georgia, until my unfortunate situation take place.

Former Employee - Dsr in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Dsr in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Con-way Freight

Pros

This company has equal opportunity since my years with this company .

Cons

my appeal to this company please consider your former worker to be rehire. I love to come back.

Thank you guys for your job well. we have good days are ahead.

Conway is a great company to learn valuable skills

I worked at Con-way Freight

Pros

Great environment and structured learning for out-of-college students

Cons

Growth can be limited but that is expected of a company this size

Adapt new technology in IT group and let them innovate

Local Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Con-way Freight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As long as you're hitting or progressing toward your numbers, you are given autonomy to manage your accounts and your calendar. In general pretty decent National and Regional Sales management team. I had the good fortune to have one (out of three during my tenure) excellent Regional Director of Sales. The other two were average. One was a goon with certain people, the other was under experienced for the position. Both were ultimately removed.

Cons

1. Reweighing and re-classifying freight was regaled as recovering millions per quarter. What was not acknowledged but brutal reality for AEs and Op's in continual loss of customers who felt completely betrayed by the company.
    2. Vast irregularity of service and integrity from region to region, service center to service center.
    3. Emphasis on checking boxes, and the required activity to do so, rather than actual revenue producing activity. I understand that it has gotten better in this area since I left.

Align Operations. Sales and Business Development Standards to compliment, not contradict one another.

Great people, old technology

Former Employee - Software Developer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Portland, OR

I worked at Con-way Freight

Pros

Had the opportunity to work with some really great people. Interesting problems to solve. The freight business was totally new to me and I now really appreciate its complexities.

Cons

The only major con I can think of about this company is that they use really old technology. If you are looking to work with bleeding edge technologies then this is not the company for you (at least while I was there, this may have changed).

After 31 years with Con-way in Reno Nevada

Former Employee - D S R in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - D S R in Reno, NV

I worked at Con-way Freight (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company finely got management right at the Reno service center. After going through 13 service center managers the present one is really good to work for and with. If you have to drive a truck for a living Con-way ain't too bad.
    I had to L.O.L. when I heard a few of their service centers voted for the union. Now everyone gets a big raise and they turned the trucks back up to 65.

Cons

After 31 years I have seen the company go from a great 'family type of operation' and we will always take care of you, to lets see how much less we can pay you.
     In 2006 they froze the defined retirement plan at the then levels. That cost me about $231,000 over 20 years of retirement or $963 per month.
     Years ago to save fuel they slowed the trucks down to 62 M.P.H. that cost me 1 hour more a day, every day, no extra pay just more of my time. I was a line driver and paid by the mile so speed was a big factor
     Medical went from Cadillac to something like Obama care and that's what they blamed it all on.
     No one in management has the power to change anything. They have to ask the main office for permission to use the restroom. Over the years I have talked to every one in upper management that I came into contact with to no avail. Not that I am a complainer, I just saw things that were really dumb. When you have worked at a company longer then some of the management has been alive you would think they would at least listen.
     For the last ten years I would have been first in line to vote for the union!!! I just missed it by a few months. I should have stayed to see what would happen next. Don't miss it but still upset. This is just a short list of complaints. I know I am just wasting my time here but I feel better for it.

WAKE UP!!! Start taking care of the people that do the "work" for you and pay them a living wage. Upper management gets more in expenses than I made in a year.. Time to share the wealth.
    Things have improved a lot over the years with culture and values and the trucks to drive but not in pay or benefits at the time I retired. Sorry you had to get slapped in the face by the union to wake up.

Strong company with a bright future.

Current Employee - Freight Operation Supervisor in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Freight Operation Supervisor in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Con-way Freight full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits good pay, can't complain

Cons

The company is getting rid of its problems.

Keep on the path your on.

High expectations; high personal development.

Former Employee - Freight Operations Supervisor in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Freight Operations Supervisor in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Con-way Freight full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The management training program sets you up for success and they promote from within. The pay is very good and you gain solid professional experience that is gold on a resume. Working in a developing Lean workplace creates many opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Long demanding hours. Shifts will change frequently and they are strange hours to those not familiar with the freight industry. Management can be too focused on the "flavor of the month" topics.

Keep practicing servant leadership and try not to let new programs die out, allow people to improve them.

Overall good experience

Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Con-way Freight full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good profit sharing plan compensation

Cons

Work just gets dumped to everyone in the department if people can't get their work done and you can.

hold people accountable for their own work

Good supplemental income

Current Employee - Dock Worker
    Current Employee - Dock Worker

I have been working at Con-way Freight part-time

Pros

management, pay, they are really accommodating to personal schedule

Cons

dealing with the drivers is never fun

keep up good work

OK

Former Employee - Freight Classification Specialist
    Former Employee - Freight Classification Specialist

I worked at Con-way Freight full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits, excellent training.

Cons

Unprofessional management, lots of favoritism, very corporate feel, employees are not seen as people, we are all just a number and are easily replaced no matter how hard we've worked for no matter how many years. Cannot trust management, and when push comes to shove no one has your back. Its every man for himself at this company.