Con-way Freight

www.con-way.com

Con-way Freight Reviews

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
2.8

Con-way Freight President and Chief Executive Officer Douglas W. Stotlar
Douglas W. Stotlar

Pros
  • It is good pay for a part time job 18 plus a hour (in 23 reviews)

• good benefits time off is good and not to hard of work (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours no start time for guys with low seniority (in 15 reviews)

• Training is very outdated in the field, and upper-management is very removed from what really goes on in any operation (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

tax

I have been working at Con-way Freight

Pros

excellent place to work for all

Cons

none that I can think of

Mid management

Current Employee - Mid Management in Midwest City, OK
    Current Employee - Mid Management in Midwest City, OK

I have been working at Con-way Freight

Pros

Best drivers in the industry!

Cons

Travel, Ann Arbor needs to better themselves on support.

Treat the front line employees better.

Micro manage

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Glenpool, OK
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Glenpool, OK

I have been working at Con-way Freight

Pros

Pay is good ..money is awesome

Cons

Always under pressure..don't know if they are to worried about safety

Treat everyone equal

Pleasant place to work

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Con-way Freight as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

HR provides behavior training to the employees that helps them improve their skills in integrity, transparency, ethics and communications. The office behavior is very considerate and respectful. This makes it a pleasant and happy environment to work in.

Cons

Needs maturity in demand management, resource balancing and vendor accountability.

Each department should have a roadmap of the goals they want to achieve that is refreshed on a quarterly basis. The department leaders should meet quarterly to review the roadmaps and prioritize them based on capabilities and dependencies. Resource planning should follow this process.

Top Frieght LOL professional

I worked at Con-way Freight full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most of the techniques I use today I learned at Con-Way. Some of the best professional drivers I've ever worked with were there. When I get in a difficult dock, day etc, I fall back on my conway experience.

Cons

Sometimes feeling what we did was never enough. Too concerned about the union. Rather than just focusing on the job.

Let your guys know when they did a good job. A pat on the back really does matter. If guys are paid fair, treated as the professionals they are, and made to feel that the company is their home, then they could care less about any union or going anywhere else.

I was one of the best driver in Norcross Lawrenceville Georgia, until my unfortunate situation take place.

Former Employee - Dsr in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Dsr in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Con-way Freight

Pros

This company has equal opportunity since my years with this company .

Cons

my appeal to this company please consider your former worker to be rehire. I love to come back.

Thank you guys for your job well. we have good days are ahead.

Bad employment experience

Current Employee - Dock Worker in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Dock Worker in West Chester, OH

I have been working at Con-way Freight

Pros

time-off policies , training that is all that i can think of or that is all that the company can offer

Cons

They have a employee turn over rate more then any other company ive worked for.
    The truck driving is a good area of the company to work for but dock working the time and effort you have to put into it is not worth it. They have such a big turn over rate for the dock workers that you are just another head to them they say safety 1st and were so-post to intervene when something is unsafe. But when you do they say "Don't worry about the other worker you cant do your job and worry about someone else being unsafe". Also its a no tobacco zone all most of the supervisors in the (west Chester) Ohio area use tobacco on the docks and in the office. so if you are trying to quit using this is not the place for you because i assure you that you will just need to deal with it.

don't make it safety 1st if the higher management does follow the rules their selfs. Or get to know some one before making them a supervisor, I will be finding somewhere else to work and conway is not on my list in this life time

Conway is a great company to learn valuable skills

I worked at Con-way Freight

Pros

Great environment and structured learning for out-of-college students

Cons

Growth can be limited but that is expected of a company this size

Adapt new technology in IT group and let them innovate

Great people, old technology

Former Employee - Software Developer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Portland, OR

I worked at Con-way Freight

Pros

Had the opportunity to work with some really great people. Interesting problems to solve. The freight business was totally new to me and I now really appreciate its complexities.

Cons

The only major con I can think of about this company is that they use really old technology. If you are looking to work with bleeding edge technologies then this is not the company for you (at least while I was there, this may have changed).

After 31 years with Con-way in Reno Nevada

Former Employee - D S R in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - D S R in Reno, NV

I worked at Con-way Freight (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company finely got management right at the Reno service center. After going through 13 service center managers the present one is really good to work for and with. If you have to drive a truck for a living Con-way ain't too bad.
    I had to L.O.L. when I heard a few of their service centers voted for the union. Now everyone gets a big raise and they turned the trucks back up to 65.

Cons

After 31 years I have seen the company go from a great 'family type of operation' and we will always take care of you, to lets see how much less we can pay you.
     In 2006 they froze the defined retirement plan at the then levels. That cost me about $231,000 over 20 years of retirement or $963 per month.
     Years ago to save fuel they slowed the trucks down to 62 M.P.H. that cost me 1 hour more a day, every day, no extra pay just more of my time. I was a line driver and paid by the mile so speed was a big factor
     Medical went from Cadillac to something like Obama care and that's what they blamed it all on.
     No one in management has the power to change anything. They have to ask the main office for permission to use the restroom. Over the years I have talked to every one in upper management that I came into contact with to no avail. Not that I am a complainer, I just saw things that were really dumb. When you have worked at a company longer then some of the management has been alive you would think they would at least listen.
     For the last ten years I would have been first in line to vote for the union!!! I just missed it by a few months. I should have stayed to see what would happen next. Don't miss it but still upset. This is just a short list of complaints. I know I am just wasting my time here but I feel better for it.

WAKE UP!!! Start taking care of the people that do the "work" for you and pay them a living wage. Upper management gets more in expenses than I made in a year.. Time to share the wealth.
    Things have improved a lot over the years with culture and values and the trucks to drive but not in pay or benefits at the time I retired. Sorry you had to get slapped in the face by the union to wake up.