Con-way
www.con-way.com Ann Arbor, MI 5000+ Employees

Con-way Reviews

Updated Mar 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Con-way President & CEO Douglas W. Stotlar

Douglas W. Stotlar

Wonderful balance of career growth and stability

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Con-way full-time for more than 8 years

Pros- Great work life balance here!
- Lots of great career opportunities for those who are passionate about their job and are technically sound.
- Management is very supportive of personal development and career growth.
- Great pay and benefits
- Above all... lots of wonderful employees!

Cons- We don't have the latest and greatest development platforms (some are very old legacy systems) but we are moving towards being more current on technology.
- The business domain may not be the most exciting - it's trucking, after all... but there's so much depth and breadth to the applications we have, you won't ever get bored.

Horrible balance of time and don't care about your problems

Dock Worker (Current Employee)
Fremont, IN

I have been working at Con-way full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay now for dock workers. And great insurance after first year

ConsWork to life ratio is terrible they use point system that is not reasonable with veterans that have issues or and if you are still in guard they take your pto time for drill weekends so don't ever get sick

Advice to Senior ManagementGet people that actually care about others and see how things run on the dock and what the employees think. The new FOS that are just coming out of school are great

Aggravating and difficult place to work .

FOS (Current Employee)

I have been working at Con-way full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFairly compensated with a national company

ConsSchedule is constantly changing and business model is always under radical change with each different CEO .( i.e. LEAN, Space=Waste, "Hospital Clean" )

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to the physical basics and move freight, bill accordingly, and for pete's sake upgrade your IT faster. Even the mom and pop freight operations are out performing you in that area. This LEAN journey that's all the rage is costing the company a significant amount of dollars to take people out of the opeartion to travel, stay in hotels, meal allowances, and overall disrupt focusing on moving the customers shipment and doing it effectively. The cost does not seem to be justifying the means as the annual report indicates. Please just go back to basics of transporting freight and SERIOUSLY upgrading your I.T. Investments in the overall equipment has been well spent , but utilizing them correctly is not the direction given from the top. (i.e. having Safestack and Space=Waste stacking freight without using Safestack)

If you like Catholic School, you'll love Con-Way.

Driver Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Rockford, IL

I worked at Con-way full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMade good friends, and the checks clear each week. Local management cares.

ConsDon't get sick with this medical insurance. Human resources offer nonexistent help when dealing with insurance issues. Vacation policy was created for tax loop holes. For every 40/hours you work, depending on time of tenure you will receive 2.033 hours of vacation per week. 401K offered but depending on when you start you could have an employee match or not. Communication is horrible. Hard workers are rode harder, and slackers are left alone. Safety is only lip service, and is only address if an accident occurs. If you like being under an microscope and also being ruled by the proverbial stick then this is a perfect organization for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementXGO-Get back in touch with people that actually are the reason you have a job. The drivers are your greatest asset, don't think of them as a liability or a warm body. Middle managers need sensitivity training at most locations. Your workers are humans, not slaves. (Labor issues are always caused by management.)

ignored and unappreciated

Truck Driver (Former Employee)
Louisville, KY

I worked at Con-way full-time for less than a year

ProsI can't think of any.

ConsBasically on call, without consistent work. Work 14 hour days and only get paid for maybe 10 or 11 hours because of wait time and paperwork not paid. Zero overtime due to driving and dock work not considered as same job. First year insurance is less than adequate with no dental or vision. 90 day probation period not included in first year. Very small annual raises. 5 years to reach top scale with almost all of it coming at start of 6th year.

A disappointment - some good people but watch out!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at Con-way full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are SOME good people. Find them, and align with them - try to switch positions if it will get you into a better group. I found a great group at the Michigan HQ but too far away and too isolated from me in Portland to make a difference.

ConsThe most entrenched dysfunction I've ever seen. I had the misfortune of being in a group focused on patting each other on the back and resisting considering change or anything that might yield improvement process. Be on the lookout for team members who will say one thing to look good then do something else to support their preferred version of the way things should be. I don't think they are aware of their own dysfunction. They would make a great case study.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up. Look at your stock price in comparison to your main competitors over the last decade and realize you must be doing something very wrong. Stop outsourcing to weak IT support - it was often easier to troubleshoot and fix ourselves then deal with the remote IT group. Train your new managers how to get the best out of people by motivating them, not by measuring them in so many metrics. Reduce your time spent measuring errata. Learn to recognize good team players with new ideas who can help you grow and reward them instead of punishing them for suggesting different approaches.

Good company

IT Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Con-way full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSmart people working In a collaborative environment.

ConsVacation policy poor
Collaborative environment leads to long project durations.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore PTO and holidays for corporate workers.

Gaining Valuable New Experience

IT Project Manager (Current Employee)
Portland, OR

I have been working at Con-way as a contractor for less than a year

ProsI have great space to work and enjoy having other Project Managers nearby to bounce ideas off of. In addition, I'm managing new types of technology implementations, get free parking, and have the flexibility I need for my family obligations.

ConsWith the exception of a few different types of positions, IT infrastructure has been outsourced to a few different large companies. This makes it much more complex to manage a project with any degree of agility.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs more and stronger cross-functional in-house design and architectural capabilities so outsourcing can be done at a tactical implementation and support level.

Honest review

I have been working at Con-way

ProsCompany helped me learn position quickly

ConsNot enough areas to move up in Company

Best sales company I have ever worked.

Freight Broker (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Con-way full-time for more than a year

ProsLarge company with a small business feel and atmosphere.

ConsCompany growth pains as we come into the market sceen.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Worked for Con-way? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Con-way reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Con-way CEO Douglas W. Stotlar. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Con-way employees.