ConAgra Foods

ConAgra Foods Reviews

Updated Apr 7, 2014

ConAgra Foods President, CEO, and Director Gary M. Rodkin

Gary M. Rodkin

Pros:
  • "Pretty good work life balance, generous vacation time and summer hours"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Good pay, good benefits, company values and trusts their employees"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work life balance because of cutting positions to the bone"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Upper Management need to create co-authorship with employee"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A very unpredictable, inconsistent job with absolutely no accountability.

Team Leader Quality (Current Employee)
Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey gave me an income.

ConsThe company bought out the place I was working for, got rid of all the customers and business we had, tried to create their own products instead, and then when their products flopped, the business was run into the ground (shut down) within 4 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to hold people accountable. They preach accountability, but don't practice what they preach.

Great Company with Fantastic Leadership

Naperville, IL

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat corporate culture, good benefits, room for advancement if you're good and patient.

ConsLocation, location, location! Omaha is only fit for a few good men and women. I know many folks that have moved on because they don't want to live in Oma-Hell

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be more flexible with where Director level roles reside. I would still be with ConAgra if Naperville had been an option for my next role. I miss the company every day!

ConAgra Foods

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood Benefits, The pay was descent.

ConsNo mobility within the company. Management encouraged you to continue your education, but never helped to accommodate schedules to make this possible.

Overall, good company to work for

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood pay, good benefits, company values and trusts their employees. Senior leaders committed to summer Fridays (dismiss early on Fridays during the summer) which is a huge plus!

ConsCorporate world can be a bit cut-throat at times, with lots of layers of approvals to get your job done. The "movers and shakers" tend to be the ones rewarded for their efforts, not those who generally just go above and beyond their duties.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood company that values their employees, but lacking clear roles and responsibilities within several departments; making it difficult to progress in your own career.

Excellent company with great management and benefits

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time

ProsGreat work life balance for all employees

ConsMore opportunity for growth throughout time employed

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd like to see more communication between management from different teams

Disorganized Company with Massive Integration and Change

Manager of Planning (Former Employee)
Naperville, IL

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time for less than a year

ProsFair Salary, Vacation Time and if you're in the right division decent work/life balance.

ConsDisorganized Company with Massive Integration and Change. Systems very manual, if you're in the wrong division, you're in trouble. ConAgra has a very difficult time prioritizing, therefore everything gets piled on your plate.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet a priority and stick to it.

Demeaning, Warranted claims go unnoticed and not cared about.

Supervisor (Former Employee)
Forest Park, GA

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDecent pay and vacation benefits

ConsWork the supervisors to death, Don't treat employee's fair. No work life balance because of cutting positions to the bone. Medical insurance for a company this large should be better

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employee's

Cut-throat culture-anyone can be the next target slotted for the door

Omaha, NE

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPay & Benefits & ability to move to different positions

ConsForced ranking & use of performance improvement plans to fire people suddenly deemed not performing but had previously done well

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement & hr needs to value every employee & stop the forced ranking. This treatment is the reason CAG will never be a top Omaha company to work for- people no longer come first, but are seen as dispensable cogs.

I learned a lot there, both positive and negative.

I worked at ConAgra Foods

ProsThe pros are above average salaries for the industry and attractive rewards for performance.

ConsThe cons were few opportunities for advancement, limited tuition funding, harsh working conditions, and a lack of appropriate on-the-job training for some positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more proactive, attentive, and supportive of your employees. Give feedback regarding employee performance so that the employees can improve and develop better work habits.

Great opportunities for Interns, Fast paced and often under pressure. Biased due to termination after 15+ years.

Systems and Network Administrator (Former Employee)
Omaha, NE

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time for more than 10 years

ProsConAgra still has a pension program, few companies do. If you can stick around the retirement benefits can be significant.
ConAgra also matches 50% of the the first 6% you contribute to your 401k
ConAgra encourages learning new.
Instituting "Agile" change methodologies.
Most of the staff is really great to work with, they are willing to help with what they can, and go the extra mile.

ConsOften unreasonable deadlines are assigned to projects without knowledge of the amount of work and supporting resources required.
ConAgra is trying to address this with the "Agile" methodology, but some of these projects have "dragged on" until it was determined the project was not producing enough, so it was terminated, or started over. This could just be a "learning curve" issue.
Though ConAgra promotes "standard measurements" for performance reviews, there is still a great deal of influence of "who likes or dislikes you" determining "final grades".
At least in IT the managers change every 6-18 months, some may consider this positive, but it there is always a "learning curve" with each manager, and the priorities change making it difficult to work on long term goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more longevity with managers on a team would be a positive.
When a manager writes their end of year review, the employee should be allowed to see it and present evidence if the employee believes items in the review are inaccurate. The manager could change or not change the review, but at least they would be informed.

Worked for ConAgra Foods? Contribute to the Community!

ConAgra Foods Videos

ConAgra Foods – Why Work for Us?

At ConAgra Foods, we believe in the power of great food. Food you turn to every day, food you count on as part of your life. We make food that does more than satisfy your hunger — it actually gives you less to worry… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ConAgra Foods reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ConAgra Foods CEO Gary M. Rodkin. All 189 reviews posted anonymously by ConAgra Foods employees.