ConAgra Foods

ConAgra Foods Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

ConAgra Foods President, CEO, and Director Gary M. Rodkin

Gary M. Rodkin

Pros:
  • "Pretty good work life balance, generous vacation time and summer hours"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Good pay, good benefits, company values and trusts their employees"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work life balance largely depends upon your manager"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Upper Management need to create co-authorship with employee"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great opportunities for Interns, Fast paced and often under pressure. Biased due to termination after 15+ years.

Systems and Network Administrator (Former Employee)

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time for more than 10 years

ProsConAgra still has a pension program, few companies do. If you can stick around the retirement benefits can be significant.
ConAgra also matches 50% of the the first 6% you contribute to your 401k
ConAgra encourages learning new.
Instituting "Agile" change methodologies.
Most of the staff is really great to work with, they are willing to help with what they can, and go the extra mile.

ConsOften unreasonable deadlines are assigned to projects without knowledge of the amount of work and supporting resources required.
ConAgra is trying to address this with the "Agile" methodology, but some of these projects have "dragged on" until it was determined the project was not producing enough, so it was terminated, or started over. This could just be a "learning curve" issue.
Though ConAgra promotes "standard measurements" for performance reviews, there is still a great deal of influence of "who likes or dislikes you" determining "final grades".
At least in IT the managers change every 6-18 months, some may consider this positive, but it there is always a "learning curve" with each manager, and the priorities change making it difficult to work on long term goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more longevity with managers on a team would be a positive.
When a manager writes their end of year review, the employee should be allowed to see it and present evidence if the employee believes items in the review are inaccurate. The manager could change or not change the review, but at least they would be informed.

Cut-throat culture-anyone can be the next target slotted for the door

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPay & Benefits & ability to move to different positions

ConsForced ranking & use of performance improvement plans to fire people suddenly deemed not performing but had previously done well

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement & hr needs to value every employee & stop the forced ranking. This treatment is the reason CAG will never be a top Omaha company to work for- people no longer come first, but are seen as dispensable cogs.

Overall it is just an average company with old brands and mediocre leadership

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLocated in nice city with great schools.

ConsToo many old school leaders who have not been held accountable for poor results

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to replace most senior leaders.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Gaining a focus

Team Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time for less than a year

ProsGood job in bad times

ConsIt's a factory. It has a factory culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand firm

New Hire, Early Impressions

Brand Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time for less than a year

ProsLarge company with multiple opportunities to grow and advance, great culture and comfortable work environment, ability to own and run your business, ability to interact with senior leadership team

ConsSome disorganization with new acquisitions, new hire training was lacking, multiple layers that come with a highly matrixed organization

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to communicate strategies and goals throughout the organization.

Great Experience as an Intern

Continuous Improvement Intern (Current Employee)
Archbold, OH

I have been working at ConAgra Foods as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat intern program, Really invested in "selling" you the company and making sure everyone enjoyed their time. Very generous Relocation Package for an internship.

ConsIf you want to work in Continuous improvement you will need plant experience which will require you to live in a more rural area for at least 2 years. Not for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

A dynamic, complex and ever changing company that challenged me and enabled me to grow and develop daily.

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time for more than 8 years

ProsClarity of vision from the top down.
Focus on People and realizing that there development is directly linked to the success of the company which is evidenced by robust organizational development programs.
Engagement through expecting and encouraging leadership and ownership from all levels - allowing people to make mistakes, learn and grow from them.

ConsAgility - due to the complexity there is often opporutnities lost due to the lack of agility in decision making.
Focus - due to the complexity of operations it may be easy to get lost in the weeds.
In some functions the people processes fall down.

A lot of positive attributes hampered by disorganization and a mixed culture

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time

ProsConAgra Foods offers fairly competitive pay and benefits including bonus eligibility for the level below managers and above. They are trying to improve the culture and work environment. The CEO has brought about many improvements to the company since he started.

ConsIf you are coming from a process-oriented (e.g. ISO 9001) company be prepared for a serious lack of process, procedures and training. The organization is built on individuals doing what they think is best and hopefully that matches up with what management expected of you at the end of each year. Goals rarely align with your actual job function, but instead relate to obscure company goals or areas that are actually just fluff.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate is top heavy. I've never seen so many directors and "bosses" of just one or two employees. A lot of money is squandered on "meeting pontificators" who rarely get anything done while actual workers are in short supply and under appreciated.

Good company to work for

Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
Omaha, NE

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time for more than a year

ProsThis company offers a great Work life balance, benefits and the employee people managers are really nice and great to work for.

ConsThere is a lot of Micro management for day to day activities. They offer a lot of initial benefits to attract people to Omaha which is a great place but people who are used to the action of big cities would feel a little deserted here.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Not an Employee friendly environment

Head Checker (Current Employee)
Alton, IL

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay in a slow job market

ConsThe company is very anti-union

Advice to Senior Managementthey are selling out, so I have no advice. I just hope that the new management will teat employees better.

Worked for ConAgra Foods? Contribute to the Community!

ConAgra Foods Videos

ConAgra Foods – Why Work for Us?

At ConAgra Foods, we believe in the power of great food. Food you turn to every day, food you count on as part of your life. We make food that does more than satisfy your hunger — it actually gives you less to worry… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ConAgra Foods reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ConAgra Foods CEO Gary M. Rodkin. All 191 reviews posted anonymously by ConAgra Foods employees.