ConAgra Foods

ConAgra Foods Reviews

Updated Apr 19, 2014

ConAgra Foods President, CEO, and Director Gary M. Rodkin

Gary M. Rodkin

Pros:
  • "Pretty good work life balance, generous vacation time and summer hours"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Good pay, good benefits, company values and trusts their employees"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work life balance largely depends upon your manager"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Upper Management need to create co-authorship with employee"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Total disorganization from the project management and corporate level.

Construction Manager (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at ConAgra Foods as a contractor for less than a year

ProsPerhaps they have fired all of the incompetents that I worked with.

ConsThe corporate managers come onto the job site without authority, give commands to workers that are not safe or within the project scope of work, make decisions beyond their ability to manage, and threaten to throw everyone off the job if their demands aren't met, however ludicrous they may be.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of your construction management department and replace it with people who are familiar with construction safety and good practices.

Great production staff; horrible bosses

Agronomy (Former Employee)
Tri Cities, WA

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time for less than a year

ProsIn the desert of Washington and Oregon is a nice place to lie although things are very far apart.High tech agriculture and diverse crops make for constant stimulation. Local staff generally really good people to work with.

ConsUpper management were clowns with zero capabilities and they lived by 5 rules:
(1) You never go around your boss.
(2) You tell your boss what he wants to hear, even when your boss claims that he wants dissenting views.
(3) If your boss wants something dropped, you drop it.
(4) You are sensitive to your boss’s wishes so that you anticipate what he wants; you don’t force him, in other words, to act as a boss.
(5) Your job is not to report something that your boss does not want reported, but rather to cover it up. You do your job and you keep your mouth shut.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire them all (Boise) and move production people to replace them.

Run like the wind...

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
Naperville, IL

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you need to be in Omaha, Nebraska it is one of the largest employers around. Also has offices in Naperville, IL.

ConsThe branded business are laggards, have desperately needed cash infusions for years to be able to compete. Senior management does not understand or believe in brand building. The Ralcorp acquisition was supposed to generate cash, but Ralcorp was in bad, bad shape. Now you have branded and private label businesses starving for cash, there isn't enough to go around, and senior management is paralyzed, focusing only on living quarter to quarter.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep aside, you can't fix this.

Lack of direction

Manager, Consumer Insights (Former Employee)
Naperville, IL

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMost of the people I worked with were professional and outstanding.

ConsWhen I was there, consultants were brought in by senior management and those of us on the teams felt very handicapped when it came to taking action or making decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the vision clear and empower the employees

Direction is ambiguous at best

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ConAgra Foods for more than 8 years

ProsBenefits offered are good and work / life ratio not bad

ConsExecutive vision does not seem to get past platform levels to actual plant environment

Advice to Senior Managementrealize the game playing cover ups that occur at plant levels when implementing corp. initiatives. Allow Platform Leads some authority to enforce implementation of improvement plans

Nephitism, favoritism, no work/life balance although they tried for a while, no bonus program any more

General Labor (Current Employee)
Troy, OH

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay, insurance,401k, recognition, good co-workers, close to home

ConsEmployees voted on better schedules and got it, but then they took the scedules away. Too many hours and days per week considering the type of work. Constant threat of union take over. Some safety issues appear to be overlooked due to cost of repair. Management just goes through the motions. When they say "family oriented" company, they don't mean your family but they want your co-workers to become your family.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to employee suggestions instead of giving dirty looks or snotty answers when insight is offered. Some of us really care about what we are doing and quality of work. Top company management should be doing personal walkarounds and information meetings instead of sending people in to find out what's going on.

Great place to work

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time

ProsSalary and profit sharing. Career potential

ConsToo big for promotions. Long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up good work

It was a great honor and privilege to work for the team in Waterloo Iowa. Conagra is truly a great company.

Engineering Manager (Former Employee)
Waterloo, IA

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe team, the management, the principles, the relationship between management and employee...I can't list everything.

ConsSome aspects towards project management and transfer of a project to operational control need to be ironed out. The process can be seen as clunky at times, but I know that they engineering group is fine tuning the VSU process to eliminate this.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develop the skill sets of the floor employee. Conagra has some truly dedicated employees (we see this every year as we celebrate employees with 40+ years) and they all want to see true success. Don't lose focus on this, it was an honor and a privilege to work with your Waterloo team.

Internship Review

Intern (Former Employee)
Omaha, NE

I worked at ConAgra Foods as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Valuable assignments
- Housing is provided
- Large company with a lot of resources
- Company successfully weeds out interns with undesirable and unhealthy personalities
- Networking opportunities

Cons- Below average compensation
- Bureaucratic (due to size)
- Short duration (10 weeks)
- Strict housing and event rules regarding alcohol

Pay is the only reason I stay here.

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood pay for what you do.

ConsManagement, especially at the corporate level is clueless when it comes to what goes on at the plant level. All they care about are their own metrics no matter if it is a hindrance to productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your lower level employees since they are the ones that make the company it's profit.

Worked for ConAgra Foods? Contribute to the Community!

ConAgra Foods Videos

ConAgra Foods – Why Work for Us?

At ConAgra Foods, we believe in the power of great food. Food you turn to every day, food you count on as part of your life. We make food that does more than satisfy your hunger — it actually gives you less to worry… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ConAgra Foods reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ConAgra Foods CEO Gary M. Rodkin. All 193 reviews posted anonymously by ConAgra Foods employees.